Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a bad idea to push DCA's projects back?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it a bad idea to push DCA's projects back?

^yah that's just the thing. Philharmagic has been shelved until they figure out how to juggle all the various construction schedules. If they move the opening to the side, they won't have any time to expand the Muppet Vision theater as Al has said.

Muppet Vision requires 1 just a regular screen. Philharmagic requires a much much wider one.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I think it is OK to push it back. I am afraid that Disney is going to rush the changes to DCA and not think about the future after that. Remember some of the problems currently facing about DCA is that no one thought about expansion after building the park! Walt Disney did build Disneyland in a year, but he thought about the idea for a very long time. Disneyland began as a very small project and grew over time. I am thankful that Walt took his time and really figured out that Disneyland should before rushing to build.

Comment

As much as I like DCA, I think closing the park for 6 months or a year would be the way to go.

Here's why:

This would give time for all attractions currently unable to close due to nothing else to do to be rehabbed. (Screamin', Soarin', etc).

Regarding the Jobs: It's been known for a LONG time that the turn-over rate at the resort is HUGE. And that some CM's are "less than desirable". Well, get the good ones from DCA and put them at Disneyland for the time when DCA is closed. By the time you need to send people back to DCA, you have a huge pool of potential (good) candidates to fill those other positions.

There are shuttered food locations until 10:00am (or later) every day at the resort. Why? Rides aren't run at full capacity sometimes until later in the day. Why? Bring those food and attractions people over from DCA to have full staff at all locations when the park opens. Why would they think I don't want a Churro at 8:30am is beyond me.

You can debut the new Pixar parade at Disneyland and then send it to DCA when the work is done. And come on, who wouldn't want to see the Electrical Parade make a triumphant return to Disneyland next summer? Hello, you are packing people in the gates without even having to do ANYTHING.

If you closed DCA from say January through May of next year. In that time you could concievably do the entrance (no headache with re-routing). Rehab Screamin' and Soarin', including the whole Screamin' Queue area that Al mentioned. Plus you'd have Toy Story Mania opened.

The rest of the updates could be done with the park open without any major re-routing of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
          As much as I like DCA, I think closing the park for 6 months or a year would be the way to go.

I agree.

Comment

Here's why:

This would give time for all attractions currently unable to close due to nothing else to do to be rehabbed. (Screamin', Soarin', etc).

Regarding the Jobs: It's been known for a LONG time that the turn-over rate at the resort is HUGE. And that some CM's are "less than desirable". Well, get the good ones from DCA and put them at Disneyland for the time when DCA is closed. By the time you need to send people back to DCA, you have a huge pool of potential (good) candidates to fill those other positions.

There are shuttered food locations until 10:00am (or later) every day at the resort. Why? Rides aren't run at full capacity sometimes until later in the day. Why? Bring those food and attractions people over from DCA to have full staff at all locations when the park opens. Why would they think I don't want a Churro at 8:30am is beyond me.

You can debut the new Pixar parade at Disneyland and then send it to DCA when the work is done. And come on, who wouldn't want to see the Electrical Parade make a triumphant return to Disneyland next summer? Hello, you are packing people in the gates without even having to do ANYTHING.

If you closed DCA from say January through May of next year. In that time you could concievably do the entrance (no headache with re-routing). Rehab Screamin' and Soarin', including the whole Screamin' Queue area that Al mentioned. Plus you'd have Toy Story Mania opened.

The rest of the updates could be done with the park open without any major re-routing of anything.

While I see your point, I don't think closing the park completely is wise either because they probably really don't have the manpower to handle doing all of the construction all at once.

And also, the Imagineers are still fine tuning some of these plans. They might have one finished and ready but designs for another section of the park might require some additional work. Doing everythting at once means that all the planning has to be completed. And that would probably mean delaying construction until a later date.

But since Paradise Pier is already going, there's no point in stopping it. Grizzly area is untouched through the whole thing, as is Condor Flats for the most part so it's kind of a waste to leave it empty for a good duration of the year.

Maybe what they should do is close DCA half of the time on weekdays (open later) and just have closed off sections on weekends.

I think Disney knows that they aren't making that much on DCA right now but they defintiely don't want that well to go completely dry.

Comment

I don't really see how moving the entrance over a little ways is going to keep people out of the park. What am I missing? I hope they start moving on all of these projects as soon as possible.

Comment

Closing the park all at once for any period of time is insane! that, is not going to happend, becuase its crazy. I have to say, at first i wasnt happy with the news however i understand where they are coming from and i hate to say this, but i agree with them on this issue

Comment

It's idiotic NOT to get going on the new Main Entrance. That way
                  they will make sure it IS complete by the time they would celebrate the
                  10th Birthday. Get the side entrance open, and block off the old entrance
                  ASAP. The entrance is going to be the easiest thing to complete at this
                  point in time. At the same time, it will truely show that Disney means
                  business with getting this 2nd park into a place that is worthy of the Disney
                  name.

Like others have said, Midway Mania will be a draw to keep people coming
                  into the park, during the temporary entrance. And let's face it, they will
                  probably decrease attendance during the temporary entrance, REGARDLESS
                  of when they get it in shape. Sitting on there butts "waiting for DCA to
                  become more established" is a load of bunk! THAT's what they are TRYING
                  to change, with the do-over of the entry area! They don't want to "become
                  more established" in what has already failed! They want to get RID of THAT
                  image~~~~ and the best way start is at the entrance ~ They are already
                  running into some issues with Paradise Pier area, so they might as well work
                  on something that they know they can do, and that will give them more time
                  to work on PP.
                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Why can't the new entrance be between the GC Hotel and Soarin'? There's a gate next to La Brea Bakery that they could use.

Comment

Also, is the area where the temporary entrance is going to be really the best place?

Forgive me, but isn't there a HUGE gate to near Soarin' that they have used. I know that's generally reserved for Ambulances, Fire-Trucks, etc, but why not have 2 entrances?

EDIT: CaliforniaAdventurer beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                        Why can't the new entrance be between the GC Hotel and Soarin'? There's a gate next to La Brea Bakery that they could use.

That's good point. I think perhaps they want to keep it out of Downtown Disney to keep security in the same spot and not crowd DD.

I'll personally use the Grand Californian entrance more where possible.

Comment

My biggest fear with the idea of "establishing" larger crowds is that it could be used as en excuse to later cut projects. Why spend all of this money when these new additions are working?

Larger crowds also pose larger problems. This would be more people to work around. More people to to get confused about the temporary entrance. More people looking for offerings that may be [temporarily] closed.

Closing the park would be a huge loss. Money would have to be spent to retrain Cast Members. Toy Story Midway Mania would be wasted in getting built. Disney would then have to re-staff the park for re-opening.

Comment

Wow, what a great idea!
                            I wish I would have thought of it.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...e-83142p4.html
                            Post number 46, yesterday at 4:46PM

Comment

Also, is the area where the temporary entrance is going to be really the best place?

Forgive me, but isn't there a HUGE gate to near Soarin' that they have used. I know that's generally reserved for Ambulances, Fire-Trucks, etc, but why not have 2 entrances?

EDIT: CaliforniaAdventurer beat me to it.
                              Sediment beat you both to it yesterday...

Aladdin, tell us how you really feel!!!

EDIT:Sediment beat me to it to let you know that Sediment beat you to it

Originally posted by Lazyboy970
                              My biggest fear with the idea of "establishing" larger crowds is that it could be used as en excuse to later cut projects. Why spend all of this money when these new additions are working?
                              Interesting point...

Once again I go back my original thought that Disney has already committed this to the public through the press release, so they are in a position where they could potentially receive a huge amount of bad publicity should they not deliver.
                              Last edited by ROBONICS95; 11-14-2007, 03:13 PM.
                              "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Comment

I don't see how moving the enterence a dozen yards to the left is going to deter people? Will there still be a large enterence to accomodate visitors? Yes, it'll just dump them out in the backlot instead of Sunshine Plaza and they'll have to walk another 30 to 50 feet further to get to Midway Mania.
                                Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                                  Regarding the DCA entrance redo:... Second thought: use GCH and PPH entrances. Or, use giant doors west of Soarin'. I mean, they're right there....
                                  OK But sediment's idea was just a 'second thought' mine was a 'first thought.' Sir klinksalot's thought was a 'first thought' thought second.

But even sediment admits his idea was just a 'second thought', which doesn't count! :lol:

Comment

OK But sediment's idea was just a 'second thought' mine was a 'first thought.' Sir klinksalot's thought was a 'first thought' thought second.

But even sediment admits his idea was just a 'second thought', which doesn't count! :lol:
                                    Makes perfect sense...
                                    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
                                      Makes perfect sense...
                                      ... in Wonderland.

I checked google map of the entrances.
                                      The western portal, as I will be calling it, since I suggested it first, is about the same size as DCA's bottleneck under the shrunken golden gate bridge near the entrance. Maybe a little smaller.
                                      It is also outside the security tents, so that might be a bit of a logistic issue.
                                      I figure this entrance is used for large equipment, so I don't know if having turnstiles in the way here will be an issue, or if the current entrance could be used as the large-equipment entrance while construction is going on.
                                      So, combine the hotel entrances with the western portal, and that should work fine.
                                      Not sure how or where an entrance through the WWTBAM building would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Professortango View Post
                                        I don't see how moving the enterence a dozen yards to the left is going to deter people?
                                        They're afraid of Clark Griswold.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                                          ... in Wonderland.

I checked google map of the entrances.
                                          The western portal, as I will be calling it, since I suggested it first, is about the same size as DCA's bottleneck under the shrunken golden gate bridge near the entrance. Maybe a little smaller.
                                          It is also outside the security tents, so that might be a bit of a logistic issue.
                                          I figure this entrance is used for large equipment, so I don't know if having turnstiles in the way here will be an issue, or if the current entrance could be used as the large-equipment entrance while construction is going on.
                                          So, combine the hotel entrances with the western portal, and that should work fine.
                                          Not sure how or where an entrance through the WWTBAM building would work.
                                          On second thought, I'll share the credit with sediment and klinksalot. We're all pretty brilliant, aren't we?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X