Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a bad idea to push DCA's projects back?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied
    Re: Is it a bad idea to push DCA's projects back?

Why can't the new entrance be between the GC Hotel and Soarin'? There's a gate next to La Brea Bakery that they could use.

Leave a comment:

• Aladdin
    replied

It's idiotic NOT to get going on the new Main Entrance. That way
    they will make sure it IS complete by the time they would celebrate the
    10th Birthday. Get the side entrance open, and block off the old entrance
    ASAP. The entrance is going to be the easiest thing to complete at this
    point in time. At the same time, it will truely show that Disney means
    business with getting this 2nd park into a place that is worthy of the Disney
    name.

Like others have said, Midway Mania will be a draw to keep people coming
    into the park, during the temporary entrance. And let's face it, they will
    probably decrease attendance during the temporary entrance, REGARDLESS
    of when they get it in shape. Sitting on there butts "waiting for DCA to
    become more established" is a load of bunk! THAT's what they are TRYING
    to change, with the do-over of the entry area! They don't want to "become
    more established" in what has already failed! They want to get RID of THAT
    image~~~~ and the best way start is at the entrance ~ They are already
    running into some issues with Paradise Pier area, so they might as well work
    on something that they know they can do, and that will give them more time
    to work on PP.

Leave a comment:

• disneysnout
    replied

Closing the park all at once for any period of time is insane! that, is not going to happend, becuase its crazy. I have to say, at first i wasnt happy with the news however i understand where they are coming from and i hate to say this, but i agree with them on this issue

Leave a comment:

• scrappydawg
    replied

I don't really see how moving the entrance over a little ways is going to keep people out of the park. What am I missing? I hope they start moving on all of these projects as soon as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    As much as I like DCA, I think closing the park for 6 months or a year would be the way to go.

Here's why:

This would give time for all attractions currently unable to close due to nothing else to do to be rehabbed. (Screamin', Soarin', etc).

Regarding the Jobs: It's been known for a LONG time that the turn-over rate at the resort is HUGE. And that some CM's are "less than desirable". Well, get the good ones from DCA and put them at Disneyland for the time when DCA is closed. By the time you need to send people back to DCA, you have a huge pool of potential (good) candidates to fill those other positions.

There are shuttered food locations until 10:00am (or later) every day at the resort. Why? Rides aren't run at full capacity sometimes until later in the day. Why? Bring those food and attractions people over from DCA to have full staff at all locations when the park opens. Why would they think I don't want a Churro at 8:30am is beyond me.

You can debut the new Pixar parade at Disneyland and then send it to DCA when the work is done. And come on, who wouldn't want to see the Electrical Parade make a triumphant return to Disneyland next summer? Hello, you are packing people in the gates without even having to do ANYTHING.

If you closed DCA from say January through May of next year. In that time you could concievably do the entrance (no headache with re-routing). Rehab Screamin' and Soarin', including the whole Screamin' Queue area that Al mentioned. Plus you'd have Toy Story Mania opened.

The rest of the updates could be done with the park open without any major re-routing of anything.

While I see your point, I don't think closing the park completely is wise either because they probably really don't have the manpower to handle doing all of the construction all at once.

And also, the Imagineers are still fine tuning some of these plans. They might have one finished and ready but designs for another section of the park might require some additional work. Doing everythting at once means that all the planning has to be completed. And that would probably mean delaying construction until a later date.

But since Paradise Pier is already going, there's no point in stopping it. Grizzly area is untouched through the whole thing, as is Condor Flats for the most part so it's kind of a waste to leave it empty for a good duration of the year.

Maybe what they should do is close DCA half of the time on weekdays (open later) and just have closed off sections on weekends.

I think Disney knows that they aren't making that much on DCA right now but they defintiely don't want that well to go completely dry.

Leave a comment:

• PirateMickey
    replied

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    As much as I like DCA, I think closing the park for 6 months or a year would be the way to go.

I agree.

Leave a comment:

• sir clinksalot
    replied

Here's why:

This would give time for all attractions currently unable to close due to nothing else to do to be rehabbed. (Screamin', Soarin', etc).

Regarding the Jobs: It's been known for a LONG time that the turn-over rate at the resort is HUGE. And that some CM's are "less than desirable". Well, get the good ones from DCA and put them at Disneyland for the time when DCA is closed. By the time you need to send people back to DCA, you have a huge pool of potential (good) candidates to fill those other positions.

There are shuttered food locations until 10:00am (or later) every day at the resort. Why? Rides aren't run at full capacity sometimes until later in the day. Why? Bring those food and attractions people over from DCA to have full staff at all locations when the park opens. Why would they think I don't want a Churro at 8:30am is beyond me.

You can debut the new Pixar parade at Disneyland and then send it to DCA when the work is done. And come on, who wouldn't want to see the Electrical Parade make a triumphant return to Disneyland next summer? Hello, you are packing people in the gates without even having to do ANYTHING.

If you closed DCA from say January through May of next year. In that time you could concievably do the entrance (no headache with re-routing). Rehab Screamin' and Soarin', including the whole Screamin' Queue area that Al mentioned. Plus you'd have Toy Story Mania opened.

The rest of the updates could be done with the park open without any major re-routing of anything.

Leave a comment:

• JiminyCricketFan
    replied

I think it is OK to push it back. I am afraid that Disney is going to rush the changes to DCA and not think about the future after that. Remember some of the problems currently facing about DCA is that no one thought about expansion after building the park! Walt Disney did build Disneyland in a year, but he thought about the idea for a very long time. Disneyland began as a very small project and grew over time. I am thankful that Walt took his time and really figured out that Disneyland should before rushing to build.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

^yah that's just the thing. Philharmagic has been shelved until they figure out how to juggle all the various construction schedules. If they move the opening to the side, they won't have any time to expand the Muppet Vision theater as Al has said.

Muppet Vision requires 1 just a regular screen. Philharmagic requires a much much wider one.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

/\
    Sediment, once they move over to Disneyland they're never going to want to return to DCA.

It's better that they keep their staff in place so they have SOMETHING to build on in the years ahead.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Let's not forget about the Cast Members who would be laid off if the park were to close.
    There are plenty of positions in DL. There has been a shortage of cast members (coincidentally?) since DCA was opened. Closing DCA would fix that problem, too.

However, one should note that it's easier to build something from scratch (DL) than it is to build around stuff. Logistical issues often get in the way. Mainly, you have three hotels that need to be filled with people NOT going elsewhere with their vacation dollars. DCA was built with the intention of keeping those people on property. That's a year (or more) of not filling hotels, and shorter parkhopper sales.

I do not think that a Philharmagic on the cheap would make people happy.

Movie-heavy attractions are supposed to be easily upgradeable without extreme infrastructure changes. So, update Muppets.
    Giant WWTBAM building should be able to fit Philharmagic in there somewhere. Hollywood and Dine space can be used.

Leave a comment:

• ROBONICS95
    replied

Originally posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    Just imagine all the good press that came of the announcement with the changes, now just imagine all the bad when they here there postponed
    That's the catch...it's NOT postponed entirely.

The ground-breaking dates are being switched around but they are still scheduled to be completed by 2011 and 2012.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Disney never said when these projects would begin, this is all insider information. The public is not going to notice that Disney has changed the dates these projects begin. All they know is that they are to be completed by 2011 or 2012.
    Last edited by ROBONICS95; 11-14-2007, 08:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Oswald the Rabbitt
    replied

Just imagine all the good press that came of the announcement with the changes, now just imagine all the bad when they here there postponed

Leave a comment:

• ROBONICS95
    replied

Originally posted by Kasey View Post
    If we were politically cynical we could think that the DCA public announcement served it's purpose by scaring off the SunCal development project.

Which is most likely the case but it's still an announcement of things to come by Disney.

I remember reading that the SunCal issue would be a Disney fan benefit simply because Disney would be required to present what they had in store for the Resort. If the SunCal issue had not immediately vanished like it has, we may have also heard plans for a third theme park.

Disney announcing their future plans puts them in a unique spot, where most of their approved projects are not formally announced until construction is well underway which makes it a little easier for Disney to make any changes/cut backs they feel necessary. Disney is now in a position that they have publicly committed to this project and the guests are waiting for them to deliver.
    Last edited by ROBONICS95; 11-14-2007, 08:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• thrax
    replied

as much as i want to see the changes to DCA, (epically the new 1920's Hollywood pictures back lot) i would rather that they take there time and not rush the changes, just because they're concerned of what other people think or want.

Leave a comment:

• Kasey
    replied

If we were politically cynical we could think that the DCA public announcement served it's purpose by scaring off the SunCal development project.

Leave a comment:

• ni_teach
    replied

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
    They should just close the park and get the makeover done.
    I disagree. Yes, remodels are always a pain the the you-know-what, but the final product is worth it.

Also it's not fair to all those who have planned their vacations and trips year's in advance to say.... "sorry there is no park for you".

While there are problems remodeling area by area, I think that it can be done and it will be fun to watch the park slowly change.

Leave a comment:

• Oswald the Rabbitt
    replied

Id say yes it's a bad idea cause I was looking forward to the change, but I suppose it's for the best. I'll probably not be able to go to Disneyland for a few years anyway so I'll get to see it in person instead of live vicariously through micechat photos and TR's

Leave a comment:

• mousechild
    replied

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
    They should just close the park and get the makeover done.

Disneyland was built in a year, and while it was much simpler than a modern theme park, how can the makeover posibly take four years? Just close it and do it right.
    Disneyland 1955 did not look like Disneyland 1980 much less Disneyland 2007, so the park you see today was not built in a year.

The entire park segment of Disney posted a $430M net income for fiscal year 2007, so a $1B capital expenditure for one park, when all parks require continual upgrading is not an insignificant undertaking.

I have no inside knowledge of how Disney operates internally but I would bet that there is a lot of high level analysis going on regarding what the expected return on Investment is going to be for this project. A billion dollars is a lot of money for any corporation. So right now the people who dreamed up the makeover are being grilled about what kind of impact these changes will make to park revenue.

One benefit of going a bit slower is that if the project are phased in slowly guests reaction to the changes can be gauged against expectations and adjustments made to the later phases.

Leave a comment:

• ROBONICS95
    replied

I agree with TDA's decision to push it back until the DCA draw is more established. I can't wait to see these projects take shape but delaying the start of certain projects has not changed the 2011/2012 premieres, which Disney has publically committed to.

While hearing/reading insider information is appealing it can cause frustration with certain matters. The average guest knows nothing about these delayed projects but knows the final project is to be completed by 2012, which is and always has been the goal.

Now if they started pushing back the completion date, then that would be extremely frustrating.
    Last edited by ROBONICS95; 11-14-2007, 07:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X