Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa's Mega Colossal, SupercaliforniafragilistikexpialaTrip Report! 10/26-31

I'm late, I'm late, for a very important Trip Report! The very day I got home, I found myself sick as a dog with suspected food poisoning. I got well just in the nic of time to start my new job as an Activities Director at a local nursing home. Then, to top it all off, my computer started weirding out and my husband discovered a virus. Fortunately, we got the computer back to rights, my health back on track and a week on the new job under my belt. Sounds like it's time for a TR!

Let me say now that we had the perfect vacation. Disneyland, Sea World, the ocean, Mickey's Halloween Treat- it was all spectacular. Considering just a few days before we left, I wasn't sure we'd be going at all- due to the fires- we were pleasantly surprised by things when we got there. Weather was ideal. The skies were clear. The parks were not crowded at all. The only thing that could have made the trip better was more time and an unlimited supply of cash.

So on with the report!

We left home shortly after school on Friday, October 26th. We drove for 2 hours to Omaha, and met my mom and brother for supper at a favorite local Italian Buffet. From left to right, daughter Kaylie (15), my brother, my mother, son Joey (8), husband Tom and son Trevor (13).

After supper we drove to Council Bluffs, Iowa (20 minutes away) to the Hampton Inn. Kaylie works for our local Hampton, so we enjoyed the low employee rate during our trip. The boys immediately approved the beds.

The clock does not lie. We got up at 3:30am to prepare for our 6:20am flight.

It's true. Joey was here.

Even though the rest of us were dead tired, Tom is used to getting up in the middle of the night for his 6am job. As long as he has his shower and coffee, he's good to go. We took the Hampton Inn shuttle van to the nearby airport.

At the Omaha airport, Tom was detained by security for having an illegal tube of toothpaste (too big sized and not in an approved zip lock baggy). His toothpaste was confiscated. They decided he was not a terrorist and let him rejoin his wife and kids. We ate a healthy breakfast of donuts in the airport cafe before our flight. No, Tom is not wearing eyeshadow. The auto red eye on my editing program went a bit wacko and I didn't catch it until too late, ha ha!

Our first plane was just a little puddle jumper to Salt Lake City, Utah.

It was the first time flying for any of the kids, and we were curious as to how they'd fare. Trevor, our older boy, was nervous, but took to it quickly. We were very concerned about Joey, who has autism. He doesn't necessarily react to things in a predictable way. I purposely chose seats at the very back of the plane, near the bathroom, thinking he could get away with making a bit more noise back there during his play. Also, he was a distance away from people in case he freaked out during the flight. He didn't like the first flight at all, and made it clear he wasn't happy about the thought of another flight yet that day. He kept suggesting we drive instead. Tom was able to keep him calm and distracted so he didn't fuss too much.

Trevor and Kaylie were pretty wiped out by the time they got to their seats.

Our flight to Salt Lake City was blissfully uneventful. I sat next to a nice lady on her way to Maui for a two week get-a-way and we chatted the whole time. Kaylie and Trev chatted and dozed, and Tom kept Joey busy watching the stewardesses, and looking at cool things on the airplane. He also had a new game for his GameBoy that kept him entertained.

Landing in SLC was interesting. When we left Nebraska, the weather was in the 50's during the day. We very much looked forward to the warmer temperatures of the west. So we were surprised to land in SLC and find it freezing cold! Our plane was so small that we had to exit directly onto the tarmac (is that the right word?). The cold hit us hard and fast, but so did the beauty of the surrounding mountains at sunrise. Gorgeous.

More to come!

Re: Lisa's Mega Colossal, SupercaliforniafragilistikexpialaTrip Report! 10/26-31

Nice TR I look forward to the rest

Comment

Re: Lisa's Mega Colossal, SupercaliforniafragilistikexpialaTrip Report! 10/26-31

Our layover in SLC was nearly two hours, but it went by quickly. After a potty break, a snack and some exploration, it was time to get on board the next flight to Los Angeles.

The plane was much bigger and had cool TV's that popped down from the ceiling. Joey was much more comfortable on the bigger plane and actually enjoyed himself. Trev and Kaylie liked the bigger plane better too. The little one was a bit claustrophobic.

Kaylie and I got to sit next to each other this time. She mostly listened to her CD's and I mostly slept. The hectic days previously had caught up to me big time. I was also still ticked off to realize all of the things I'd forgotten at home in my haste. Things like my deodorant, my brush, my motion sickness patches and so forth.

The views out the window were stunning to say the least!

Our flight to LAX was about 2 hours long and everything was perfectly on time. Once we landed, we easily found our luggage and made our way to the "island" to find the shuttle to Enterprise Rentals. At Enterprise, we completed our pre-made reservation and they took us into the garage to pick out our car. We wanted a full size vehicle, so they narrowed it down to three for us. We checked them all out and finally decided on a green Ford Taurus. It's the only car you can see completely in the picture- though I took the picture before we'd looked at any cars yet.

We liked the Taurus immediately, the big backseat was just fine for the three kids and there was plenty of room for all of our luggage. We paid an extra $9 a day for a GPS system which was one of the most worthwhile splurges of the trip. We'd been so nervous about navigating in LA and driving to San Diego. We're small town people, not used to big city traffic. But with the GPS, we didn't have a lick of problem the whole vacation. The GPS had a female, British accent. We named her Claire at first, but since her voice had that electronic vibe to it, it evolved to E-Claire. Joey missed her when we returned her later, ha ha!

The trip from LA to Cypress was only 30-40 minutes. With E-Clair's wonderful help, and a low traffic time of day, we were able to look around and enjoy the drive. It was such a smooth ride that Joey was lulled to sleep.

The Hampton Inn in Cypress was awesome. I'll put a lot of information about it here, just in case anyone else might be interested for future trips. Their regular room rate is about $99 a night and includes a wonderful breakfast. We were lucky to get the employee rate, which is significantly less. But compared to other hotels I've been in, the $99 would be more than worth it. The room was nice and clean and the beds are amongst the comfiest I've ever slept in. The staff was friendly and helpful, the food wonderful. The Cypress location is only about 6 miles from Disneyland. It's in a business district, so there aren't any pretty views out the window, but the hotel itself is lovely. Across the street, within walking distance, is a Target where you can easily go to in case you forget your deodorant and hairbrush like I did. We also stocked up on snacks and water bottles. There are plenty of fast food places around as well, in case you don't want to take your meals at Disneyland. There is a Subway and an ice cream place right next to Target. There was also a taco place there as well and a Red Robin restaurant less than a mile from there.

Unloading the luggage was exciting, if only because it meant we were really in California!

Joey immediately noticed the water feature in the front lobby. It became his habit over the course of our stay to run his fingers over it as we came and went.

Once again the beds were tested, and pronounced to be wonderful!

Stay tuned for more!
      Last edited by lil lisa; 11-12-2007, 10:13 PM. Reason: fix picture

Comment

Nice second part, I look forward to the third

Comment

Even the bathroom at the Hampton was nice. There was shower massage and plenty of hot water and water pressure, even when the five of us were lining up for our showers. The tub has a curved curtain bar, so you never have to worry about a shower curtain trying to mate with you! There are also hooks above the stool for wet towels or clothes.

The bathroom vanities are so pretty with the towels in neat rolls. They have all the customary amentities, such as hairdryer, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. There is also a large feather pillow and thick fleecy blanket in the closet for extra comfort if needed. The closet is big. Joey played in it at times.

Of course there were also the complimentary soaps and shampoos. Other toilitries such as razors and toothbrushes could be requested from the front desk.

Even the hallways and doors were pretty. The room numbers were also uniquely displayed.

The hotel has a basic outdoor pool and inside there is a workout room. We didn't have time for either perk though.

By the time we checked into the hotel, we were so tired that a rest was a must. First we explored the local food places, because we were starved. We went to Target to get missing items, and then stopped at Subway and Del Taco respectively for our hunger.

Back at the room, we gorged on our food and then all of us fell to sleep. We woke up just after 6pm and forced ourselves to get going so we could enjoy some quality time at Disneyland. Outside, it wasn't yet dark, so there was time to pose with a palm tree. So pretty!

Kaylie especially liked the palm trees!

It was less than a 15 minute drive from our hotel in Cypress to Disneyland. We quickly found parking in the farthest corners of the parkinglot, Daisy section, 1-K. Don't park here unless you like to walk!

I actually had tickles in my tummy as we waited for our tram and looked at the Disneyland decor.

Have I mentioned that I took over 1400 pictures during our 4 day trip? That's right, 1400 pictures! No worries, I won't post them all, but as you can see, I've only just begun.

More is on the way!

Comment

Glad to see you all made it out and it looks like everything turned out nicely!

And I must say I am impressed that you guys say you are from a small town and navigated the LA freeways from the airport to the hotel. Not a small fete for someone faced all of a sudden with at least 6 or 7 lanes of traffic each way!

Comment

Cant to finally see your park pics

Comment

Wonderful trip report so far!
                "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

Comment

cool trip report so far
                  sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

Comment

Thanks Oswald!

By the time we entered Disneyland itself, the skies were dark but with a bright moon above. Disneyland was all in lights and so pretty! The first picture had to be in front of the masked Mickey and the train station.

We went inside City Hall first to get our first time visitor buttons. It was hard to stop and get in a line when we were all so eager to start exploring, but we did. Unfortunately, they were out of 1st visit buttons, so we were made honorary citizens and given those buttons instead. Finally we made our way down Main Street, awed by the crowds and the lights. I know it was a sparse crowd by Disneyland standards, but our whole town only has 350 in it. It seemed like a huge crowd to us!

We hadn't made it to the end of Main before Spongebob Joeypants decided he HAD TO HAVE a Mickey Mouse light saber with part of his souvineer money. We tried to talk him into getting it on the way out, as he'd get tired of carrying it, but when he gets something in his head, it sticks. We caved in and got the light saber. Joey is obsessed with Spongebob, the color yellow and Star Wars. So the light saber made him very happy. The vendor was very friendly and put in fresh batteries for him.

When we got to the center hub, the first thing that struck me was how small everything was. I hadn't expected that. In my mind, Disneyland had been built up to be huge! And of course, looking at everyone's wonderful pictures here, I had my own vision of how I thought it would be. The Walt and Mickey statue seemed so tiny, as did everything else. The more I walked around though, and the more detail my brain took in, the park took on more realistic proportions and I was impressed with how it was all put together. I have to be careful not to call Walt Disney, "Bolt". Trevor had overheard Tom and I talking about something with Walt, but he'd misheard and thought we were calling Walt, Bolt Disney. He corrected us, and we started cracking up. So now, we refer to dear Walt, as Bolt Disney.

The castle was so pretty at night! I wanted so badly to capture everything with my camera. However, the camera was brand new and I hadn't yet experimented with any of the fancy night settings. Sadly, many of my pictures are blurry because of my inexperience. But I did get a few good ones.

Disneyland was so uncrowded, that the rides had very little wait time. I'd paid ahead of time and printed out some Ride Max schedules to take along, knowing that Joey would not abide any long waits in line. But likely because of the fires, the anticipated crowds were not there. I never had to use the Ride Max program. But it was still worth the $15 for many of the "insider tips" and suggestions it gave. I'd definitely use it again, especially during busier times of year. It would have been a lifesaver if the park had been crowded.

Joey quickly tired of carrying the light saber and Tom was left with it. Thank goodness he was able to protect us from the knight!

Our first ride at Disneyland was Snow White's Scary Adventure. We'd been walking around, discussing what to ride first, but we were right at Snow White's door and there was no line at all, so I said, "Let's go!" It was fun. Joey didn't like it. The dark rides scared him. He tolerated the ones we took him on, but usually announced afterwards, "That was scary and I'm NOT gonna ride it again!"

To soothe our savage 8year old beast, I asked him what ride he might like. He immediately pointed to the Carousel and wanted that one. Without my motion sickness patches, I wasn't about to tackle a spinning ride. But Tom and all three kids went on it and Joey loved it.

Next up was the Tea Cups, another of Joey's suggestions and we were all for it. Again, I was nervous to ride without the patches, but this was one of the rides I enjoyed during my own brief childhood visit to Disneyland. I was dismayed to realize I'd become my mother when I announced to the family, "If you ride in my tea cup, you WILL NOT spin the tea cup!" My brother and I had teased our mom for years because she was so dizzy on the ride that she wouldn't let us spin.

We had to wait for about 10 minutes for the tea cups. Joey was excited, but also stressed out being outside of his usual routine.

When our turn came, Tom and Trevor quickly found a tea cup. They had every intention of spinning the heck out of it! And they did.

I'm not done yet- there's more, more, more!

Comment

Awesome trip report with pictures!!

Comment

fun TR btw where is that knight located

Comment

I love when theres a trip report from someone out of state because with in the trip report you get to almost see what Disneyland really is and how really magical it is. Not that I dont like when theres a local trip report but these are extra magical in there own right.
                          "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments, friends! It's fun to relive the trip through pictures. So on we go!

We liked the tea cups. I did alright. I got pretty dizzy, even without the extra spinning. I like this picture of Kaylie enjoying a spin.

After the ride, it was great to be back on solid ground. Good ol terra firma.

Snack time! Tom, Trevor and I all enjoyed the tasty, GARGANTUAN churros.

Kaylie and Joey went the safer route. Kaylie had a Nestle Crunch ice cream bar and Joey had a chocolate covered frozen banana.

The ice cream lady told us we were in a great location to view the upcoming fireworks. We'd noticed a huge crowd sitting all over the hub much earlier, so worried that we wouldn't find a decent spot. The vendor suggested we walk down a wee bit to the It's a Small World building and pick a spot to sit. So that's what we did. We sat on the ground right at the ropes.

We had no idea what to expect for the fireworks. I was halfway waiting for them to be cancelled, knowing this was our only night to view them. Fortunately, the show was on. There was a slight delay, and then- action! I didn't at all expect the narration, nor the intriguing movies shown on the side of the It's a Small World building in between the fireworks!

I've been to some cool fireworks displays, but nothing compared to this!

It was amazing to see.

The show had our full attention. Even Joey, with his short attention span, was fully engaged in the show.

The fireworks setting on my camera let me really capture some great shots.

When something is so spectacular, you don't want it to end. But of course it must.

Stay tuned- more is on the way!

Comment

we're waiting...waiting...refreshing our screens...need more....
                              Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

I love it so far!

Looks like you all had a great time!

Comment

ahhhhhhhh ha here you are!! I got all of the trip up to now in my email and was waiting on the rest... I was thinking you forgot me! I am glad you are posting it here, I can not wait to see more!!! and man was it taking forever to down load in my mail box :lmao: I can not wait to see more!

Comment

Originally posted by nemofinder22 View Post
                                    I love when theres a trip report from someone out of state because with in the trip report you get to almost see what Disneyland really is and how really magical it is. Not that I dont like when theres a local trip report but these are extra magical in there own right.
                                    I agree. It's great to see the park with fresh eyes every now and then!

Lisa, your daughter looks just like you! Great trip report, thanks for sharing it. )
                                    A signature should go here.

Comment

Simply awsome!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I also keeo refreshing my screen looking forward to the next batch

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X