Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Disneyland Railroad run when it's raining?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Disneyland Railroad run when it's raining?

Tigerlily and I were discussing all things Disneyland this evening and the discussion came around to whether or not the Disneyland Railroad ran at night when it's raining.

Then I got to wondering if it runs at all when it's raining... night or day.

Anybody know the answers to this one?
    Charlie :wave:
    MiceChat User #1037

Re: Does the Disneyland Railroad run when it's raining?

Originally posted by Circarama View Post
    Tigerlily and I were discussing all things Disneyland this evening and the discussion came around to whether or not the Disneyland Railroad ran at night when it's raining.

Then I got to wondering if it runs at all when it's raining... night or day.

That would be a big YES!
    Long live the "Happiest Place on Earth" the ORIGINAL, Disneyland.
    Former Cast Member - Class of 89

Comment

I've never seen it closed down for rain. Not that it couldn't happen but it would have to be quite a storm. Alice and Big Thunder seem to be the first casualties of rain.

Comment

Another yes from me. The trains definitely run when it rains.

Comment

Originally posted by chadlingoc View Post
          That would be a big YES!
          Were you answering the question:
          As in "Yes" you know the answer? Or, "YES" the train runs night and day in the rain?
          Charlie :wave:
          MiceChat User #1037

Comment

The D.R.R. is one of the most popular Disneyland attractions in rainy weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Circarama View Post
              Were you answering the question:

As in "Yes" you know the answer? Or, "YES" the train runs night and day in the rain?
              Yes to all your questions. The DRR runs during the rain, day and night. When I worked the DRR, there was one time that the trains did not run due to inclement of weather. We had a freak wind/rain storm, and it blew over a tree along the Rivers of America......that was the only time we did not run. It becomes crowded during the rain, SHELTER!

Comment

Operation does not change on the Disneyland Railroad when it rains. The only problem they have is all the oil and grease on the track rises to the top of the rail when it first starts to rain (oil is lighter than water, remember your chemistry? ) and that causes some problems at the stations when the trains have to leave. But eventually the rain washes the oil off the track. The engineer and the firemen get the advantage of the warm cab from the firebox too when it is cold and rainy!

Comment

Originally posted by Nautilus View Post
                  Operation does not change on the Disneyland Railroad when it rains. The only problem they have is all the oil and grease on the track rises to the top of the rail when it first starts to rain (oil is lighter than water, remember your chemistry? )
                  Much the same reason why the roadways and freeways are at their most dangerous when it first starts to rain after a prolonged dry spell, I would presume.
                  God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Nautilus View Post
                    The engineer and the firemen get the advantage of the warm cab from the firebox too when it is cold and rainy!
                    The ones I feel sorry for are the conductors. They have to stand on the side train in the rain trying to take cover from the covering aboves. Sometimes water pools up there at the top and if the train jolts, it sometimes will send a huge amount of water down towards the cast member. Their gloves also get wet from opening and closing the wet gates and they had their gloves off to the engineer and firemen that dry the gloves for them on the boiler.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostHost View Post
                      The ones I feel sorry for are the conductors. They have to stand on the side train in the rain trying to take cover from the covering aboves. Sometimes water pools up there at the top and if the train jolts, it sometimes will send a huge amount of water down towards the cast member. Their gloves also get wet from opening and closing the wet gates and they had their gloves off to the engineer and firemen that dry the gloves for them on the boiler.
                      They can use umbrellas.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                        They can use umbrellas.
                        Yeah, that is a good way to fall off the train. I know we could not use them when I worked up there!

Comment

Originally posted by chadlingoc View Post
                          Yeah, that is a good way to fall off the train. I know we could not use them when I worked up there!
                          When were you there?

Comment

In my experience, umbrellas worked quite well.

Comment

As with many of DL's outdoor attractions, the DRR takes on different personalities at different parts of the day or in different weather conditions. Some of the best times I've had on the railroad are when it's raining. Main Street Station becomes a hub of activity, as guests and train CMs huddle inside in the warmth. I've seen the water slosh off the canvas awnings and drench poor conductors! And the cab is as toasty and cozy as a den with a hearth.

Wet rails can affect the trains' traction, but the engines carry sand in a boiler-top dome that can be sprayed onto the rail in front of the drive wheels, to provide extra grip when starting.

Other than that, rain really doesn't affect the operation of the engine at all. One might think the water pouring through the open smokestacks might present a problem, but the smokeboxes are so hot that the rain entering flashes pretty quickly to steam.
                              Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 11-14-2007, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn, Renaissance Woman View Post
                                Alice and Big Thunder seem to be the first casualties of rain.
                                I know I've been in the pouring rain on Thunder back in February during the 50th. LOL, it was fun, but it actually hurt pretty good.
                                "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

sigpic

Comment

I've ridden the DLRR in the rain.

[email protected]

Andy
                                  -
                                  What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

Comment

Yep, they sure do.

When the rain starts to fall, we usually head over to the nearest train station for a loop (or two) around the Park.

Then we try and get a seat on the porch on Main St to watch as folks try to avoid the puddles on Main St. It can be hilarious at times...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X