Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Poll: Please provide input on the forum's next step

Please read the following post completely before voting.

We will soon be making changes to the forums.

Currently we use vBulletin Cloud. This will end sometime between September 1 and October 1 of this year (maybe sooner). Under no circumstances will the forums continue to operate in this configuration.

Many other Disney fan sites use XenForo, and this is the software we will use if we move away from vBulletin. Disboards is an example.

We have three choices:

1. We would migrate to the latest version of vBulletin, but we would change hosts. We currently have the latest version of vBulletin Cloud, but it just does not work the way it should. We would move to vBulletin Connect, which should solve many of the problems we have. This would keep the forum appearance the same, while increasing forum response and functionality (in theory).

Advantages: Ease of transfer. Minimal chance of losing data. Should be a quick process. MC has been with vBulletin for 12 years, so we maintain continuity.

Disadvantages: It's still vBulletin, which is slower than XenForo (even on faster hosts).

2. We would move to XenForo. We would import what we could, and what we can't import would become read-only. We can import the forums, but we know we can't import groups and blogs. Losing groups is not an issue, but we can't lose the blogs. The earliest MiceAge and Dateline Disneyland updates were created using vBulletin blogs. We can't lose them, and we have to keep them online with their current URL's. In other words, there would be two MiceChat forums, one old and one new. The old forum (which is currently this one) would be searchable, but locked. The new one would have all the forums, but that's it.

Advantages: XenForo is cleaner and faster than vBulletin. Forums move intact (hopefully) to new software and host.

Disadvantages: XenForo does not have the same look as vBulletin. Users would have to get used to the new software.

3. We would move to XenForo with a clean database. It would be MiceChat 2.0. Nothing would be imported. Users would have to re-register. Post counts would reset to zero, but I can edit them manually. Join dates would reset, but they could be edited by command line changes to the database. There would be two MiceChat forums, one old and one new. The old forum (which is currently this one) would be searchable, but locked.

Advantages: XenForo is cleaner and faster than vBulletin. Quick transfer process. No chance of losing any data. All MC forum history is preserved in one place right where it is.

Disadvantages: It will be like starting from scratch. New software will take some time to get used to.

If you have questions, please ask them below before voting.

My original vote would have been to choose #2, but it's so much easier to start fresh. My choice is #3, but I would like to hear from you before we make any decisions.

Thank you.
    Keep vBulletin (what we use now)
    28.13%
    Move to XenForo and try to import what we can
    43.75%
    Move to XenForo and start fresh
    28.13%

The poll is expired.

It's a free site, what ever is easiest at this point.
    I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

I would like to second what meville said. It's a free site, and as long as it continued to be free, you owe us nothing. Which ever method is the easiest for you gets my vote.

Comment

Fresh start sounds easiest!
        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
        My company had a special night at the park
        WdW trip report with WWoHP
        NYE 2011 trip report
        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
        Leap year 24 hour report
        New DCA trip report
        NYE 2012
        HKDL trip report

Comment

I think you would lose many people if there was a re-registration process. Just my 2 cents.

- Robert

Comment

It would be a shame to lose all the great historical posts.
            Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim in Merced CA View Post
              It would be a shame to lose all the great historical posts.
              I agree, there is a lot of great history available here that would be very sad to loose.

Is my understanding correct, when moving to XenForo the forums would be set up but the threads would go away and have to be recreated by the individuals that started them originally? If many of those people have moved on to another place what would bring them over to a new site? I'm not adverse to new software and a new format, just wanting to better understand the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post

I agree, there is a lot of great history available here that would be very sad to loose.

Is my understanding correct, when moving to XenForo the forums would be set up but the threads would go away and have to be recreated by the individuals that started them originally? If many of those people have moved on to another place what would bring them over to a new site? I'm not adverse to new software and a new format, just wanting to better understand the details.
                1. No posts would be lost. I should have made that clearer. Sorry.

The forums, as they exist now, will remain on this server. We will simply move to a more basic plan. At some point in the future, I will lock the board and no one will be able to post. All new posts will occur on the new forum. This forum will still remain searchable and online. That will not change.

2. We will not start fresh. That option was eliminated earlier today. We will import all users and the past 120 days of posts to the new forum. They will remain here as well, but they will be read only. Any comments on existing posts will occur on the new forum.

Please ask if you still have questions.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

1. No posts would be lost. I should have made that clearer. Sorry.

The forums, as they exist now, will remain on this server. We will simply move to a more basic plan. At some point in the future, I will lock the board and no one will be able to post. All new posts will occur on the new forum. This forum will still remain searchable and online. That will not change.

2. We will not start fresh. That option was eliminated earlier today. We will import all users and the past 120 days of posts to the new forum. They will remain here as well, but they will be read only. Any comments on existing posts will occur on the new forum.

Please ask if you still have questions.

Users would not have to re-register? Post counts would be were they are ?
                  Trying to understand .
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

Users would not have to re-register? Post counts would be were they are ?
                    Trying to understand .
                    Users would not have to re-register, regardless of what forum software we choose. We would import 120 days worth of posts and the user database. Post counts should stay the same. If they change, they can be manually fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

Users would not have to re-register, regardless of what forum software we choose. We would import 120 days worth of posts and the user database. Post counts should stay the same. If they change, they can be manually fixed.
                      THANK YOU Matt
                      I know you want the best for Mice Chat !
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Why not just use the subreddit you already own?

Comment

I know the poll is closed. But, I'd rather see vbulletin continue to be used. As an original MiceChatter, it makes me sad just to think about some thing potentially being put into some kind of separate archive that may not be as accessible from the main site. I may be one of the few originals who are semi-regular. But, it'd be nice to preserve our history somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by amyuilani View Post
                            Why not just use the subreddit you already own?
                            I was not aware that it even existed. It appears to have been created by an admin, and not Dustysage. I don't think it's the direction we want to go in.

Comment

Originally posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
                              I know the poll is closed. But, I'd rather see vbulletin continue to be used. As an original MiceChatter, it makes me sad just to think about some thing potentially being put into some kind of separate archive that may not be as accessible from the main site. I may be one of the few originals who are semi-regular. But, it'd be nice to preserve our history somehow.
                              This forum will be accessible from the micechat.com. You won't be able to post here, but you will still be able to search and view. We are going to implement a special version of Google Search that links to all sites MC has ever created, so with one search you can access everything.

We can't continue with vBulletin cloud. Our site is just too big. Moving to vBulletin connect and a better host is an option, but vBulletin breaks things every time they create a new version. This is not just my opinion. It's the opinion of Monorail Man, Dustysage, and countless other admins who have used vBulletin over the years. It makes no sense to keep using forum software that is getting worse instead of better.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X