Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Poll: Please provide input on the forum's next step

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Poll: Please provide input on the forum's next step

    Please read the following post completely before voting.

    We will soon be making changes to the forums.

    Currently we use vBulletin Cloud. This will end sometime between September 1 and October 1 of this year (maybe sooner). Under no circumstances will the forums continue to operate in this configuration.

    Many other Disney fan sites use XenForo, and this is the software we will use if we move away from vBulletin. Disboards is an example.

    We have three choices:

    1. We would migrate to the latest version of vBulletin, but we would change hosts. We currently have the latest version of vBulletin Cloud, but it just does not work the way it should. We would move to vBulletin Connect, which should solve many of the problems we have. This would keep the forum appearance the same, while increasing forum response and functionality (in theory).

    Advantages: Ease of transfer. Minimal chance of losing data. Should be a quick process. MC has been with vBulletin for 12 years, so we maintain continuity.

    Disadvantages: It's still vBulletin, which is slower than XenForo (even on faster hosts).

    2. We would move to XenForo. We would import what we could, and what we can't import would become read-only. We can import the forums, but we know we can't import groups and blogs. Losing groups is not an issue, but we can't lose the blogs. The earliest MiceAge and Dateline Disneyland updates were created using vBulletin blogs. We can't lose them, and we have to keep them online with their current URL's. In other words, there would be two MiceChat forums, one old and one new. The old forum (which is currently this one) would be searchable, but locked. The new one would have all the forums, but that's it.

    Advantages: XenForo is cleaner and faster than vBulletin. Forums move intact (hopefully) to new software and host.

    Disadvantages: XenForo does not have the same look as vBulletin. Users would have to get used to the new software.

    3. We would move to XenForo with a clean database. It would be MiceChat 2.0. Nothing would be imported. Users would have to re-register. Post counts would reset to zero, but I can edit them manually. Join dates would reset, but they could be edited by command line changes to the database. There would be two MiceChat forums, one old and one new. The old forum (which is currently this one) would be searchable, but locked.

    Advantages: XenForo is cleaner and faster than vBulletin. Quick transfer process. No chance of losing any data. All MC forum history is preserved in one place right where it is.

    Disadvantages: It will be like starting from scratch. New software will take some time to get used to.

    If you have questions, please ask them below before voting.

    My original vote would have been to choose #2, but it's so much easier to start fresh. My choice is #3, but I would like to hear from you before we make any decisions.

    Thank you.
    32
    Keep vBulletin (what we use now)
    28.13%
    9
    Move to XenForo and try to import what we can
    43.75%
    14
    Move to XenForo and start fresh
    28.13%
    9

    The poll is expired.


  • #2
    It's a free site, what ever is easiest at this point.
    I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

    Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

    You know best :-)

    Comment


    • #3
      I would like to second what meville said. It's a free site, and as long as it continued to be free, you owe us nothing. Which ever method is the easiest for you gets my vote.

      Comment


      • #4
        Fresh start sounds easiest!
        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

        DL 55th BDAY trip report
        My company had a special night at the park
        WdW trip report with WWoHP
        NYE 2011 trip report
        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
        Leap year 24 hour report
        New DCA trip report
        NYE 2012
        HKDL trip report

        Comment


        • #5
          I think you would lose many people if there was a re-registration process. Just my 2 cents.

          - Robert

          Comment


          • #6
            It would be a shame to lose all the great historical posts.
            Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jim in Merced CA View Post
              It would be a shame to lose all the great historical posts.
              I agree, there is a lot of great history available here that would be very sad to loose.

              Is my understanding correct, when moving to XenForo the forums would be set up but the threads would go away and have to be recreated by the individuals that started them originally? If many of those people have moved on to another place what would bring them over to a new site? I'm not adverse to new software and a new format, just wanting to better understand the details.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hammer View Post

                I agree, there is a lot of great history available here that would be very sad to loose.

                Is my understanding correct, when moving to XenForo the forums would be set up but the threads would go away and have to be recreated by the individuals that started them originally? If many of those people have moved on to another place what would bring them over to a new site? I'm not adverse to new software and a new format, just wanting to better understand the details.
                1. No posts would be lost. I should have made that clearer. Sorry.

                The forums, as they exist now, will remain on this server. We will simply move to a more basic plan. At some point in the future, I will lock the board and no one will be able to post. All new posts will occur on the new forum. This forum will still remain searchable and online. That will not change.

                2. We will not start fresh. That option was eliminated earlier today. We will import all users and the past 120 days of posts to the new forum. They will remain here as well, but they will be read only. Any comments on existing posts will occur on the new forum.

                Please ask if you still have questions.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

                  1. No posts would be lost. I should have made that clearer. Sorry.

                  The forums, as they exist now, will remain on this server. We will simply move to a more basic plan. At some point in the future, I will lock the board and no one will be able to post. All new posts will occur on the new forum. This forum will still remain searchable and online. That will not change.

                  2. We will not start fresh. That option was eliminated earlier today. We will import all users and the past 120 days of posts to the new forum. They will remain here as well, but they will be read only. Any comments on existing posts will occur on the new forum.

                  Please ask if you still have questions.


                  Users would not have to re-register? Post counts would be were they are ?
                  Trying to understand .
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post



                    Users would not have to re-register? Post counts would be were they are ?
                    Trying to understand .
                    Users would not have to re-register, regardless of what forum software we choose. We would import 120 days worth of posts and the user database. Post counts should stay the same. If they change, they can be manually fixed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

                      Users would not have to re-register, regardless of what forum software we choose. We would import 120 days worth of posts and the user database. Post counts should stay the same. If they change, they can be manually fixed.
                      THANK YOU Matt
                      I know you want the best for Mice Chat !
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Why not just use the subreddit you already own?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I know the poll is closed. But, I'd rather see vbulletin continue to be used. As an original MiceChatter, it makes me sad just to think about some thing potentially being put into some kind of separate archive that may not be as accessible from the main site. I may be one of the few originals who are semi-regular. But, it'd be nice to preserve our history somehow.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by amyuilani View Post
                            Why not just use the subreddit you already own?
                            I was not aware that it even existed. It appears to have been created by an admin, and not Dustysage. I don't think it's the direction we want to go in.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
                              I know the poll is closed. But, I'd rather see vbulletin continue to be used. As an original MiceChatter, it makes me sad just to think about some thing potentially being put into some kind of separate archive that may not be as accessible from the main site. I may be one of the few originals who are semi-regular. But, it'd be nice to preserve our history somehow.
                              This forum will be accessible from the micechat.com. You won't be able to post here, but you will still be able to search and view. We are going to implement a special version of Google Search that links to all sites MC has ever created, so with one search you can access everything.

                              We can't continue with vBulletin cloud. Our site is just too big. Moving to vBulletin connect and a better host is an option, but vBulletin breaks things every time they create a new version. This is not just my opinion. It's the opinion of Monorail Man, Dustysage, and countless other admins who have used vBulletin over the years. It makes no sense to keep using forum software that is getting worse instead of better.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

                                This forum will be accessible from the micechat.com. You won't be able to post here, but you will still be able to search and view. We are going to implement a special version of Google Search that links to all sites MC has ever created, so with one search you can access everything.

                                We can't continue with vBulletin cloud. Our site is just too big. Moving to vBulletin connect and a better host is an option, but vBulletin breaks things every time they create a new version. This is not just my opinion. It's the opinion of Monorail Man, Dustysage, and countless other admins who have used vBulletin over the years. It makes no sense to keep using forum software that is getting worse instead of better.
                                I understand. I guess as long as we can preserve the history of MiceChat, it'll be ok. If Dusty is good with it, I'm good with it!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Look forward to whatever you do! Keep up the good work!
                                  AKA doombuggy
                                  1974 - 1983 WDW day trips * 1992 WDW off site * 1994 WDW Contemporary * 1997 WDW off site * 1997 WDW Polynesian * 1998 DL PAC * 1999 DL Disneyland Hotel * 2000 WDW Coronado/Port Orleans * 2001 WDW off site * 2002 DL Disneyland Hotel * 2002 WDW/Happy Haunts Ball * 2003 WDW Riverside * 2003 WDW Happy Haunts Ball * 2004 Moved to Orlando * 2006 DVC Member * 2006 DLR * 2007 Pirate & Princess Party * 2007 DVBR * 2007 OKW * 2007 VWL * 2008 GCH * 2009 BLT * 2009 AKV * 2010 OKW * 2010 SSR * 2010 DLP DLH * 2011 BLT*2011 AKL*2012 BWV*2014 Aulani*2015 VGC Star Wars Celebration

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Are you saying there will no longer be any blogging functionality? Old blogs would remain on the old site, but there would be no new blogs?

                                    Why not import the blogs into blogging software and allow blogging to continue?

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Personally, I'd go for any option except the third. I'd hate to lose everything that has gone on before. A lot of history that some folks have built up. Even if we can't continue some current threads, at least if they are read only, the content won't be lost. I also expect you'd lose a lot of active people who wouldn't like the idea of starting over again from the beginning.
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                                      No matter where you go, there you are.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                                        Personally, I'd go for any option except the third. I'd hate to lose everything that has gone on before. A lot of history that some folks have built up. Even if we can't continue some current threads, at least if they are read only, the content won't be lost.
                                        Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I don't think any of the options involve losing access to old forum content. Option three would just not have the old posts tied to the user accounts on the new board.
                                        "In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X