Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please provide feedback

We are considering Discourse as well as XenForo. If you would like, feel free to look at sample boards and then comment below.

Sample Discourse sites:
    https://www.discourse.org/customers.html

Sample XenForo sites:
    http://forums.wdwmagic.com/forums/wdw-parks-news-rumors-and-current-events.4/
    disboards.com
    http://forums.disneytouristblog.com/index.php
    uberpeople.net

I found Discourse earlier today, and I am heavily leaning towards it because of it's integration with other social media sites. It's also extremely minimalist and clean. It makes discussions so much easier. There are no more pages in a conversation. You just scroll through it.

Again, please provide your feedback below. The forum owner wants your input.

I can't say that i'm a huge fan of discourse, a forum I used to go on also used it and I wasn't really a fan of the layout or design. I like XenForo a little more because it feels familiar.

Comment

https://discuss.codecademy.com/

I see a design similar to this working well with the MC forums. It's definitely minimalist, but it's so easy to navigate.

Discourse also has a Wordpress plugin which would allow us to migrate away from Disqus. We can also automate thread creation when a new entry is made on the MC main site. In other words, when the Monday Disneyland Update is published, a new thread would automatically be created on the forum. Users could comment on the post in Wordpress or in the forums with the same username.

Comment

I'm willing to give it a shot but it still isn't my favorite

Comment

I like the WDWMagic board (XenForo), and disboards' layout isn't bad. Really not a discourse fan -- the versions of it that I've seen, and the one I've used -- aren't friendly. They seem to emphasize layout and graphic design over ease of conversation among forum members.

Ultimately, though, I'm good with whatever works best for the site admin -- and appreciate your asking for our feedback.
          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

This is another site using Discourse. It looks clean, modern, and it's easy to navigate.

https://community.wd.com/

Comment

^ That's the layout of a forum I've participated in. I found it clumsy and unwieldy to use, and it didn't get better with time. But, maybe that was just me. (And maybe could have been because it wasn't well maintained.)

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                Ultimately, though, I'm good with whatever works best for the site admin.
                I was pretty much set on XenForo, but I had another conversation with the forum owner today, and he wants to make sure we explore all options. I would be happy with XenForo, and I don't think it would be too much of a shock to existing users. The thing with Discourse is that we have extraordinary flexibility when it comes to customization.

My plan is to create two demos and then share the links with everyone so they can test both out. That will probably happen later this week or early next. Since we are going to keep the existing forum on vBulletin cloud there is no longer a rush to move (other than we want a board that works).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                  ^ That's the layout of a forum I've participated in. I found it clumsy and unwieldy to use, and it didn't get better with time. But, maybe that was just me.
                  Can you describe what felt clumsy and unwieldy? If not, I understand, but all feedback helps.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                    I was pretty much set on XenForo, but I had another conversation with the forum owner today, and he wants to make sure we explore all options. I would be happy with XenForo, and I don't think it would be too much of a shock to existing users. The thing with Discourse is that we have extraordinary flexibility when it comes to customization.

My plan is to create two demos and then share the links with everyone so they can test both out. That will probably happen later this week or early next. Since we are going to keep the existing forum on vBulletin cloud there is no longer a rush to move (other than we want a board that works).
                    Cool!

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                    Can you describe what felt clumsy and unwieldy? If not, I understand, but all feedback helps.
                    Quoting and replying was difficult for a lot of folks. Eventually I got the hang of it, but it was one of the steeper learning curves I've encountered (and I've been online since BBS days). Editing in a double-pane window was confusing. The layout seemed cluttered with icons, and there wasn't a way I found to turn them off -- the User Profile functions also struck me as crude. The last time I was on that site was a year ago, so maybe it's improved? It could have been how the admins had it set up, but overall, it felt much less intuitive and friendly than WDWMagic's forum.
                    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-06-2017, 07:42 PM.

- Neil Gabler

Comment

I will let DustySage know. We want to be innovative and different, but we also want to be easy to use. I think ease of use is a higher priority than the first two. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

^ Thanks, PhotoMatt. Another thought about the Discourse forum I was on is that it could have been the default layout -- I don't know how user-friendly it could be made via customization. In contrast, WDWMagic's forum is an easy, intuitive adaptation for MiceChat users, but I don't know how much tweaking WDWMagic's admins had to do to get it that way.

- Neil Gabler

Comment

If you are willing, please try try.discourse.org

You will have to create an account, but they have a demo forum that resets every day. I created a topic, edited it, and then replied to a post. I did not see any issues. I loved the preview pane, but I also noticed you could close it by clicking on a box just below it and then reopen it at will.

Please know that I give much weight to your opinion, but based on what I have seen so far, I really, really like Discourse. I did not see any of the issues that you reported. I will dig deeper to see if I can duplicate them.

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for asking for feedback! I just tried Discourse at their demo site and loved all the functionality. It looks like most (if not all) of the things we have on our forum could carry over nicely. As for XenForo, I have nothing against it, but it feels dated and strikes me as nothing more than a slightly-better rehash of vBulletin.

With that said, I think the core issues people have are twofold: (1) features not carrying over from the old forum or not working properly, and (2) forum design not matching the features they'd like to see and use the most.

Assuming the new forum works exactly like try.discourse.org, I don't think anyone can complain about the first issue. I tried everything out and actually found some of Discourse's features to work better than Micechat's (hello, mutli-quote posts!). I'm certainly hoping MrWiggins just had a bad experience and that any issues he experienced have since been overcome. Again, this would be contingent on everything working as it does in the Discourse demo site.

Visually, I think Discourse provides for better design opportunities and can be changed to look both classic and modern. I actively dislike the DisBoards and WDW Magic's designs and I would hate for Micechat to just look like every other Disney forum, but I recognize that people want familiarity. There are always grumblings with visual redesigns just because people won't be used to it, but to me this is where Discourse stands out and has the most potential.

I think a one-time introductory video sent as a message to everyone's account could help people understand what changes when we migrate, but everything seems so cut and dry when viewing and using the Discourse demo site.

TL;DR: I'm team Discourse, but only if everything works well and the design opportunities are taken advantage of!

Comment

I would say that I'm good with whatever works best for the admins, but the CodeAcademy example is definitely my favorite. I particularly like the continual scrolling with the little chronological slider, the search, the options to quickly get to the latest or unread posts and the categories. Also, it seems to load lightning fast, compared to what we have here, now. However, I tried out try.discourse.org and I don't care for the it's look and layout. Everything is washed out and it seems harder to tell where one post ends and where the next begins. This likely has more to do with color and window dressing than anything else. If memory serves, the Xenforo DisneyTouristBlog example seems awfully similar to what MiceChat used to look like, so it earns a few points for nostalgia.
                              Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X