Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integration of DisneyLife and The Magic Kingdom

I applaud Disney's recent decision to start its own subscription-based streaming services, as long as the company does more to appeal to the broadest audience possible and as long as the offerings are truly compelling. This long-overdue move is the one for which I was hoping, especially because it requires management to be more ambitious and less risk-averse and lethargic.

The service in the United States will probably be called, "DisneyLife," and I even like the name.

My hope is that the service forces Disney to get its act together, particularly by eliminating the schizophrenia of the brand and by establishing greater consistency between the organization's older and newer offerings.

To that end, I want the interface to present books, movies, music, games, and series television from Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, Discoveryland, or Tomorrowland together in much the same way that the 1950's anthology television show presented each of its episodes as originating from one of the original four Realms. And, I want the application's interface to work with location-based services that coordinate the presentation with a guest's geographic position within The Magic Kingdom.

Guests would be introduced to digital content that corresponds to their location and would be able to experience immediately this digital content within the physical Realm. Additionally, they would be able to assemble playlists and bookmark the material for a later session outside the gates of The Magic Kingdom.

What other ways would you like DisneyLife to integrate with The Magic Kingdom?

A nascent version of DisneyLife is now available in the U.K., and the service includes some, but not all, Touchstone Pictures and Hollywood Pictures. Eventually, DisneyLife will undoubtedly become the home of Marvel and Lucasfilm, as well. And, the Disney Movies VR app. offers some sense of the way future iterations of the interface could be designed. (Netflix, in fact, has a V.R. app. that is very popular, so DisneyLife, too, ought to have its own V.R. app.)

Comment

There's really no reason why they couldn't have their entire catalog in this. I'd love to see it! Even old Disneyland episodes. All the classic cartoons. And of course... CondorMan.

Comment

Originally posted by matterhorn77 View Post
        There's really no reason why they couldn't have their entire catalog in this. I'd love to see it! Even old Disneyland episodes. All the classic cartoons. And of course... CondorMan.
        Disney doesn't seem to do business in a logical manner. Yes, why not put certain motion pictures, TV episodes or classics on the same page. But Disney seems to be locked into statistical straightjacket catagorization. It would be more expected that Star Wars and Marvel recents would be highlighted more, as well as princessess and pirates to squeeze as much profits from this catagory. Personally, I've fallen out of much of the media aspects Disney offers. I still by DVDs but not much into the streaming aspect.
        I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post

Disney doesn't seem to do business in a logical manner. Yes, why not put certain motion pictures, TV episodes or classics on the same page. But Disney seems to be locked into statistical straightjacket catagorization. It would be more expected that Star Wars and Marvel recents would be highlighted more, as well as princessess and pirates to squeeze as much profits from this catagory. Personally, I've fallen out of much of the media aspects Disney offers. I still by DVDs but not much into the streaming aspect.
          I'm hoping it's different with this. Yes Disney has always has their "vault" but if they were to get $29.99 or $39.99 a month from people I'd hope they'd consider the more they offer the more sign ups they get. Hoping.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if DisneyLife turns out to be unlike so many of Disney's other divisions, including its domestic parks: under the whim, thumb and dictates of Disney Consumer Products.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
            Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
            imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

The Studios and the Parks should be driving this initiative and shaping the Disney trademark in this space.

Media Networks and Consumer Products are both incredibly inept.

Comment

Streaming is an existential threat to Disney, so they had better get this right.

I want the old and obscure stuff and the unpublished material made available.

"The Golden Girls," "Empty Nest," "Monk," "Home Improvement," and "Win, Lose, or Draw," as well as other television series, should be included, and Disney should throw a 24-hour news channel based on ABC News into the mix.
                Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 08-13-2017, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	115.3 KB ID:	8529602Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	133.9 KB ID:	8529603Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	8529604
                  ​​​​
                  "Disney News" always had the right approach to the trademark:

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	8529606Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	8529607Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	8529608

Comment

Comment

Another vital component of the potential success of DisneyLife will be in how it separates the proverbial wheat from the chaff so that the good stuff that builds the brand is highlighted and the bad stuff requires searching.

Certain pieces of intellectual property, such as Walt Disney Pictures' "The Haunted Mansion," should be buried so deeply that they are utterly forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                          Another vital component of the potential success of DisneyLife will be in how it separates the proverbial wheat from the chaff so that the good stuff that builds the brand is highlighted and the bad stuff requires searching.

Certain pieces of intellectual property, such as Walt Disney Pictures' "The Haunted Mansion," should be buried so deeply that they are utterly forgotten.
                          I would hope that everything is easily searchable. If they plan to pull everything from Netflix to build a competitor then they would be foolish to build something that isn't at least as user friendly as Netflix. Of course the popular stuff will be highlighted. I'd like to see something more like apples iTunes movie layout than Netflix's. Every movie is in every genre somehow in Netflix. It annoys the crap out of me.

Comment

Some things may be popular among certain kinds of people but may undermine the brand among everyone else.

I am thinking particularly of the more recent Disney Channel content that really has nothing to do with Disney, which should be synonymous with creativity and imagination and which should appeal to a broad, general audience.

Comment

The direct-to-video sequels to the animated features also should be buried. Such things harm the Disney trademark, and its goodwill.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X