Announcement

Collapse

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Rumor is out that DLR is abandoning its eastern gateway plans...

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Rumor is out that DLR is abandoning its eastern gateway plans...

...at least as far as having it completed in time for Star Wars.

A few posters on wdwmagic.com are claiming to have inside sources on it. What an absolute face plant, if true.

If it's not going to be completed in time for Star Wars Land, then it's vitally important that they cut down on the expected attendance. And that means putting a big chunk of the APs on the chopping block. Fingers crossed that they eliminate the lower end passes and stop monthly payments. If they don't do something to lower the AP numbers, it will be a gigantic disaster.

Comment

As far as rumors go this should have been obvious to everyone by now. The Eastern Gateway won't be finished in time. I don't see Disney walking away from this plan in the long term.

As far as the ending of the monthly payment plans, it's not happening and you can save this link and rub it in my face IF I am wrong. I think in 2018 you will see the end of the socal passes altogether and possibly not allowing those to renew. Might allow renewal in 2018 but not 2019. The Deluxe will become the new socal pass with the same blackouts, the signature will become Deluxe, and the Signature plus will stay the same with no blackouts. The prices will increase, and people who really cannot afford it will still buy because of the monthly payment plans. Disney is not walking away from easy money, it's not happening, and the dream/wish from some of you will never be realized.
      Last edited by igbe; 08-18-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Is that the plan for the Parking structure off of Harbor?

On one hand I'm happy because we usually stay at the Park View in and fully appreciate the convenience of walking across the street to the front gates, but on the other, Parking for driving guests will be insane.
        I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

Oh boy. This is an absolute disaster that they're sitting on. Gotta love the initiative they are showing by kicking the can down the road and putting their guests into the centre of the fray.

Comment

I don't see why they can't still build the garage and bus people over.Deal with the bridge part later. I always said the compromise could have been to allow people to get to the bridge from harbor and have the actual check point on the bridge halfway or something. I am sure they could do something to make it better but decided to be stubborn about it.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

Maybe Disney is trying to teach Anaheim a lesson by using guests as pawns to overload the area during the Star Wars opening? I certainly hope not, but they just need to build a solution to this and provide street access. Get it over with already.

Originally posted by igbe View Post
              ...the dream/wish from some of you will never be realized.
              I don't have skin in the game either way, but I love the brutality and drama of this statement, haha.

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
              I don't see why they can't still build the garage and bus people over.Deal with the bridge part later. I always said the compromise could have been to allow people to get to the bridge from harbor and have the actual check point on the bridge halfway or something. I am sure they could do something to make it better but decided to be stubborn about it.
              You're thinking like a problem solver. I like it.

Comment

Very interesting if true. I wonder if the rumored lawsuits that were gearing up had an impact as well. If so, wouldn't have surprised me that Disney legal advised new course of action due to likely litigation and time impacts. The structure can and should still be built, I think the only issue was the impact to the businesses on Harbor and the legal question of overflight rights on public property. Even that was easily resolved. I'm sure there are multiple reasons if true.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                  If it's not going to be completed in time for Star Wars Land, then it's vitally important that they cut down on the expected attendance. And that means putting a big chunk of the APs on the chopping block. Fingers crossed that they eliminate the lower end passes and stop monthly payments. If they don't do something to lower the AP numbers, it will be a gigantic disaster.
                  Sincerely doubt Disney's plan with SWL is going to be to try to throttle attendance down to current levels. They're going to have to try to do something to add capacity somewhere.

Comment

Initial thoughts after chewing on it for a bit...

I would think they'd still have enough time to finish this by Summer 2019 if they broke ground soon. That makes me wonder if they're bluffing the city behind the scenes. Anaheim isn't without something to lose if Disney walks away from the plan, so this could be just politics.

I also think the crowd madness might be less pronounced than we imagine. Disneyland will still have fire code restrictions, and I fully expect them to meter access to the new land (maybe via MaxPass) for at least a month or two after it opens. Barring some economic catastrophe, things will be busy, but maybe not much more so than your typical overloaded holiday weekend?

That means this probably hurts the cast members as much as anybody. When the crowds hit, Disney will find a way to make due with the Pumbaa lot, and some other stop-gap measures. It won't be annoyance-free for the guests, but the CMs could get kicked out to Angels Stadium for a prolonged period.

Last edited by longbeachaztec; 08-18-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by igbe View Post
                      As far as the ending of the monthly payment plans, it's not happening and you can save this link and rub it in my face IF I am wrong. I think in 2018 you will see the end of the socal passes altogether and possibly not allowing those to renew. Might allow renewal in 2018 but not 2019. The Deluxe will become the new socal pass with the same blackouts, the signature will become Deluxe, and the Signature plus will stay the same with no blackouts. The prices will increase, and people who really cannot afford it will still buy because of the monthly payment plans. Disney is not walking away from easy money, it's not happening, and the dream/wish from some of you will never be realized.
                      I actually think it's more likely that the monthly payments go away, than that Disney ends the SoCal discounts. A company as big as Disney always has to be concerned with community relations and political capital, and I think the SoCal passes play an important part in that arena.

I also think it's important to remember that the interest-free financing is still a relatively new thing that really only came about because they needed an attendance boost during the housing crash. It wouldn't shock me at all if they removed it for new AP purchases, but kept it in the tool belt for the future. I'm in the camp that believes the average AP is really not a huge money maker for the resort. They are profitable and serve a purpose, but they're not a make-or-break necessity for the business model, and tourists will always get priority.

Comment

That didn't take long for someone to throw them APs under the bus. lol In regards to the rumor, I think this might be Disney's way of trying to get the City of Anaheim give in a bit. However, Disney truly doesn't seem to mind the parking issues, because the parks are still crowded and people still keep coming.

Comment

Disney should go ahead and start building the new parking structure now, waiting on the bridge and new security gates. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Disney only still needs permission for the bridge, and the new security gates don't make sense without the bridge. The prospect of masses of people crossing Harbor Blvd should inspire both Disney and Anaheim to compromise.

Comment

I'm quite sure Disney is going to keep the system as is and continually increase prices. SoCal pass is a pure money maker, it gives the impression of a full park, and a consistent bottom line for Burbank.

As for the sky-bridge, I've been a proponent to scrap it since city hall became disagreeable. In fact, I don't quite understand why Disney has not just started building the eastern gateway parking structure without the bridge and let nature take its course. It's quite obvious the infrastructure is not in place to handle the influx of guests, local business will not see an increase in customers as the parking structure patrons were never going to go to these business's anyways, and it will be a complete mess on South Harbor. Inside 6 months, after multiple vehicular accidents and injury's to guests, city hall will be begging Disney for a bridge.

Why not just build the parking structure with the ability to add a bridge down the line? Or build it to accommodate local business? It makes me think there is more to this than the public knows because there are way too many solutions for this project to be held up. I have no skin in this game, but I look forward to seeing how things are resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by longbeachaztec View Post

I actually think it's more likely that the monthly payments go away, than that Disney ends the SoCal discounts. A company as big as Disney always has to be concerned with community relations and political capital, and I think the SoCal passes play an important part in that arena.

I also think it's important to remember that the interest-free financing is still a relatively new thing that really only came about because they needed an attendance boost during the housing crash. It wouldn't shock me at all if they removed it for new AP purchases, but kept it in the tool belt for the future. I'm in the camp that believes the average AP is really not a huge money maker for the resort. They are profitable and serve a purpose, but they're not a make-or-break necessity for the business model, and tourists will always get priority.

No way Disney ends the monthly option. The monthly option affords them the ability to raise the AP and still make it “seem” affordable while increasing profits. That’s not to say there won't be any changes like interest or a surcharge fee for managing the program, in the end, will increase the bottom line, but it's not going away. I could see Disney making the Deluxe the new Socal pass price and not getting rid of the name of the pass, but it won't stay in the low rate as it is now and move Signature to Deluxe with Signature plus staying the same or just becoming signature giving you three pass options. Disney gets their price increases, and that will knock some people off for sure, with the justification being the money spent on SWL.

Of course, this is all fun and well but its just speculative at this point as the state of the economy will be the real driving factor in 2019.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X