Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

The Joy of FASTPASS (and MaxPass) 3.0

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This year - for the first time ever - we'll be in Disneyland for both the Thanksgiving weekend and the week of Christmas (though leaving before New Year's). How much of a difference will MaxPass make? We'll see - I'll report back upon return, along with any changes they might make for any reason.

If anyone has any questions they'd like us to research regarding MaxPass/FastPass during the holidays, please let me know and we'll do our best.

Comment

Originally posted by JLindley2003 View Post
      Great info, thanks! A question I haven't been able to find the answer to... for a multi-day pass (5 in my case), can I purchase MaxPass for all 5 days in one transaction, or do I have to purchase it each day at the park? I'm going to DL in 1 week; could I go into the app now, link the tickets (already have in-hand) and buy MaxPass and be done? Thank you!
      Reporting back... It was not possible to purchase MaxPass for a multi-day pass all at once. Had to be purchased daily once scanned in at the turnstile. On a related note, I almost messed up big time so thought I'd share. Paper tickets must be scanned into the app for this service, but what I didn't see in advance is that the 14 day expiration on tickets starts as soon as you scan the ticket into your app, not when you first use it at the gate. So be sure not to add paper tickets to your app until you're fully within at least a 14 day window of use for that pass.

Comment

Originally posted by JLindley2003 View Post

Reporting back... It was not possible to purchase MaxPass for a multi-day pass all at once. Had to be purchased daily once scanned in at the turnstile. On a related note, I almost messed up big time so thought I'd share. Paper tickets must be scanned into the app for this service, but what I didn't see in advance is that the 14 day expiration on tickets starts as soon as you scan the ticket into your app, not when you first use it at the gate. So be sure not to add paper tickets to your app until you're fully within at least a 14 day window of use for that pass.
        Thanks for the info! I will add that to the main post ASAP.

Comment

Happy holidays everyone! Reminder that MaxPass starts working the minute you are scanned into the park - this means even it can work even before the park officially opens. For example, if you are among the first few in line at a turnstile, often the CMs there will scan your tickets so you can go right in after the "countdown". As soon as they scan your tickets, use MaxPass while you're waiting to go in! We've done this several times and can help you plan out which way to go in the park. In DL, most of the crowd will inevitably head towards Space Mountain or Fantasyland. Why not make a MaxPass reservation for Space and then lock into Peter Pan ASAP? Or skip Fantasyland's early morning insanity, and head towards the relatively calmer waters of New Orleans Square. Stop by Indy on the way, then hit Pirates before Haunted Mansion or Big Thunder. If you get that Space Mountain reservation early enough, you might be able to make a second one 30 minutes later. Instead of swimming with the crowd, you're swimming down a different river entirely.

Of course, this may not always work. And as more people use MaxPass and become familiar with it, these tips work less and less. But especially during the busy holiday weeks, why not give it a shot? And look for us in the parks during the week between Christmas and New Years! Yes, we're nuts....

Merry Christmas!

Comment

Ok so I can finally give my opinion of Maxpass. I went to Disneyland last week and used Maxpass for both me and my grandpa. I wasn't sure how it was going to go since I had no experience with it. But everything went very smooth from adding Maxpass to my tickets and everything else. Maxpass made our trip SO much more enjoyable from the ease of getting fastpasses to the great photopass pictures. I really wish they had fastpasses set up for Pirates. That was the longest line I waited in the whole 3 days I was there. And that was only about 40 minutes at the most. But I truly did enjoy the Maxpass and look forward to seeing how everything works at Disney World next year.

Comment

Originally posted by 05mustangman View Post
              Ok so I can finally give my opinion of Maxpass. I went to Disneyland last week and used Maxpass for both me and my grandpa. I wasn't sure how it was going to go since I had no experience with it. But everything went very smooth from adding Maxpass to my tickets and everything else. Maxpass made our trip SO much more enjoyable from the ease of getting fastpasses to the great photopass pictures. I really wish they had fastpasses set up for Pirates. That was the longest line I waited in the whole 3 days I was there. And that was only about 40 minutes at the most. But I truly did enjoy the Maxpass and look forward to seeing how everything works at Disney World next year.
              That's great! I hope this thread helped a little too.

Comment

If upgrading a ticket to an annual pass, I know that on the day of upgrade one can enter the park even on a blockout date. If the ticket has Maxpass, presumably that remains in force (and existing Fastpasses are not cancelled) but I would be very glad to have confirmation of this!

Comment

Originally posted by pirate333 View Post
                  If upgrading a ticket to an annual pass, I know that on the day of upgrade one can enter the park even on a blockout date. If the ticket has Maxpass, presumably that remains in force (and existing Fastpasses are not cancelled) but I would be very glad to have confirmation of this!
                  Hi. I personally cannot answer this, as we're already AP holders, but if anyone else knows for sure about this scenario, please reply here and I'll update the main post.

Comment

Disneyland
                    - Big Thunder Mountain RR (Frontierland) - 2 TPs
                    - Buzz Lightyear (Tomorrowland) - 2 TPs
                    - Haunted Mansion (New_Orleans Square) - 2 TPs
                    - Indiana Jones (Adventureland) - 1 TP
                    - It's A Small World (Fantasyland) - 2 TPs
                    - Matterhorn (Fantasyland) - 1 TP
                    - Roger Rabbit (Toontown) - 1 TP
                    - Space Mountain (Tomorrowland) - 2 TPs
                    - Splash Mountain (Critter Country) - 2 TPs
                    - Star Tours (Tomorrowland) - 1 TP

Disney's California Adventure
                    - California Screamin' (Paradise Pier) - 1 TP
                    - Goofy's Sky School (Paradise Pier) - 1 TP
                    - Grizzly River Rapids (Grizzle Peaks) - 1 TP
                    - Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout (Hollywood Land) - 1 TP
                    - Radiator Springs' Racers (Cars Land) - 2 TPs
                    - Soarin' Around The World (Grizzly Peaks) - 2 TPs
                    - Toy Story Midway Mania (Paradise Pier) - 2 TPs

I believe most members of my group of 9 party can not go on most of these rides. Or would do single rider. Is it worth getting MaxPass? or sticking with regular fastpass for the few things we would be doing?

Comment

Originally posted by jactressk View Post
                      I believe most members of my group of 9 party can not go on most of these rides. Or would do single rider. Is it worth getting MaxPass? or sticking with regular fastpass for the few things we would be doing?
                      Hi. This is only my personal opinion, but if "most" of your group can't go on the majority of Fast Pass attractions, then don't buy MaxPass for those guest.

However, might I offer an alternative plan? First, identify who in your group WOULD utilize the MaxPass reservation capabilities. Are they okay going on the attractions away from the rest of the group. If no, then also no, it wouldn't make sense for MaxPass for them. Stick with the physical kiosks when needed.

If they would split off for several attractions, then make them into their own Fast Pass party on one of their phone's Disneyland App and make that person the sub-group's leader. Have them make the MaxPasses when appropriate for that group.

I can imagine this in our family if my parents came with us to Disneyland. We would use MaxPass, but they probably wouldn't. But they're okay with that and would either sit and wait for us, shop or do other things and we'd meet up later for some attractions they would do (like Small World), shows, parades, meals, etc. For Small World, my son would probably run and grab us all physical FPs since you want to make sure to keep the group return times together, and with MaxPass, there's a chance you'll get an earlier time than what is coming out of the physical kiosks due to cancelled reservations being available in app.

Every person and group have different needs and plans, so this is just my opinion. Do what you feel makes most sense for your group. And don't forget about the PhotoPass benefit! Only one person needs MaxPass for that, as long as they get their ticket/app scanned with each Photographer. They can download and share the pics once their back at home.

Hope that helps. Have a great time!

Comment

Hi all! Merry Christmas!

We'll be in the Parks this coming week, from Christmas Eve through the 30th. I'll be reporting back on how MaxPass helps us manage the crowds. If anyone will be there at the same time, feel free to direct message me here if you'd like to meet up, as the notification goes right to my email and my phone is tied to my hip (both for work and for play).

Comment

Hi everyone and Happy New Year! We're back and the last week was....interesting. Actually didn't feel really uncomfortable until Wednesday (the power outage, which I won't rehash here), with it getting progressively worse each day. Saturday morning we spent a few hours in DCA before our flight and it was thick. I can only imagine what Disneyland was like...

With that said, the saving grace was MaxPass. Using it smartly and efficiently made all the difference in the world. The key was to focus on morning attractions until popular attractions (or ones we wanted to ride at night) started moving toward return times around 4pm. At that point, we stopped making the first available and started waiting for first attractions that would run out (like Space and Indy in DL, or Racers, Soarin and TSMM in DCA). The end result was a lot of rides in the AM (thanks in part to having Magic Morning at both parks all week), then a lull in the late morning/early afternoon until around 5pm, when it would pick back up again with the FPs we made earlier. This worked great for us, even on the busiest days.

The only real MaxPass note I wanted to share was what happened late on Friday. Racers went down hard around 8? (not sure the exact time), at which point our FPs there switched to Multiple Experience FPs, as expected. But these showed they were good for that night AND the entire next day. Now I do not know if this was due to how late the FP was for and if MaxPass/FastPass automatically makes it a 2-day FP after a certain time? Or if it was due to the severity of the downtime, as Racers didn't come back up until late morning on Saturday.

Any specific questions related to MaxPass/FastPass and the holiday week, please post here and I'll do my best to answer. Any questions not specific to MaxPass but about the holiday week, please message me.

Comment

I'm finally making my way through this thread. This has been so helpful! Thank you to marklodi as well as everyone else who chimed in with information. Our trip is in THIRTY DAYS (wow!) so we're prepping like mad!

Comment

Question.... If I have 4 MaxPasses for Space Mountain for myself, wife and 2 kids, could the kids ride SM twice in a row if my wife and I choose not to use ours? What does staff see when they scan the passes at the attraction? Your name or number of eligible passes? Both?

Comment

Originally posted by Hillchat View Post
                                I'm finally making my way through this thread. This has been so helpful! Thank you to marklodi as well as everyone else who chimed in with information. Our trip is in THIRTY DAYS (wow!) so we're prepping like mad!
                                You're very welcome. Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Comment

Originally posted by Ecm10 View Post
                                  Question.... If I have 4 MaxPasses for Space Mountain for myself, wife and 2 kids, could the kids ride SM twice in a row if my wife and I choose not to use ours? What does staff see when they scan the passes at the attraction? Your name or number of eligible passes? Both?
                                  Hmm. First, personally, I really encourage you to use the FastPass/MaxPass program as intended. I know there is no ill-intent behind the question, so please don't think I'm judging or scolding. Just saying that this could be an area of abuse if many people did the same thing.

As to what the CMs see, I honestly am not sure. I do know that every pass at the turnstiles gets a picture associated with it - one of the biggest reasons for slowdowns at the entrance is CMs having to take each picture and having guests sign the back of their tickets. So technically, if that system is connected, the CMs manning the FastPass lines may indeed see the picture registered with the ticket. Whether they do or not, I've never looked at their handhelds so cannot say for sure (others here may know more definitively). I'd like to think first offense of using another's FP is just a warning, but in theory this could get the person trying it in trouble.

Regardless, hope you have a wonderful time at the Parks!

Comment

Amazing information!
                                    thank you!
                                    Wow... if there is anything Mark and contributors did not cover... I can't imagine.....

the kind of thing that kept me out of the max-pass infested waters.... like, "but you can't use a maxpass on a ride beginning with a, c, m or z on a even numbered Tuesday if your first name is below the first initial of your last name in the alphabet... or after 3:12 pm.... on an even numbered month... when the attraction nearest is in refurbishment.... if you own a cat... " (I don't)
                                    Last edited by GwenRowan; 01-16-2018, 09:46 PM. Reason: adding more thanks as I re read the details...

Comment

Originally posted by GwenRowan View Post
                                      Amazing information!
                                      thank you!
                                      Wow... if there is anything Mark and contributors did not cover... I can't imagine.....

the kind of thing that kept me out of the max-pass infested waters.... like, "but you can't use a maxpass on a ride beginning with a, c, m or z on a even numbered Tuesday if your first name is below the first initial of your last name in the alphabet... or after 3:12 pm.... on an even numbered month... when the attraction nearest is in refurbishment.... if you own a cat... " (I don't)
                                      Glad to help, and hope the info made it a little more easy (and exciting) to get into MaxPass for you. Have a great time!

Comment

The MaxPass was a total game changer! No more running around to the FastPass distribution sites. We loved using our iPhones to scan our passes. It was so nice to be able to reserve our passes while getting ready to board a ride or waiting in line to order food. I was skeptical at first, but the minute we started using it, we were hooked.

Comment

Pretty excited to purchase MaxPass for my Disneyland trip. Is the pricing variable (like Universal's express pass) or is it a fixed price no matter when I take my trip?

Comment

Working...
                                          X