• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisaustx
    MiceChatter
    • Jul 2005

Re: New Matterhorn Cars

The matterhorn car with the packing slip and green sheet is from the 1977 fleet, the cars are being taken off site, refurbished and then being placed back in the park, they are not new. Why would Disney spend thousands of dollars per unit to do this if they are building new cars, this is why I question the validity of this "news." I was being kind in reminding the original poster that Disney has sued and won court case law stating that the word "Disney," the "Disney" logo and Mickey Mouse are all properties of Disney Enterprises and they have sued people that have ranged the gamet from: www.disneyvacations.com (this florida company used the Disney logo and name to sell vacations to WDW, Disney sued them, shut down their website and forced them to pay legal fees and won a money judgement for lost revenue) to a little old lady on E-Bay who would buy cute Winne the Pooh fabric at Wal-Mart, then make cute stuffed animals and sell them on E-Bay. Disney sued the little old woman stating that she did not buy a license form them to make the stuffed animals, therefore it violated their intellectual property rights, the little old lady had to pay Disney's legal fees. So again, that white glvoe has an iron fist inside of it.
    Last edited by chrisaustx; 11-14-2007, 04:21 PM.
    http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com

Comment

• SnowflakeSparks
      lol what
      • Aug 2007

lol

I was making a joke. :P I was thinking they'd be refurbished vehicles.

Now hang on to them hats n' glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Originally posted by pussnboots
      Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
      So is the consensus that Splash Mountain would be way more exciting than Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Paris?
      Zip-a-dee-duh.

Comment

• Michael_Lee
        Second Star to the right.
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
        As I've stated before, I don't think less seats necessarily means less capacity, especially in this case.

More often than not, you are seeing trains go out with 4 people or maybe 5. This pretty much guarantees in most cases (when the trains are loaded correctly) that cars will be going out with 6 riders each and every time. VERY rarely do cars go out with more than 6 now.

So the capacity may actually go up or my guess is, stay about the same.
        Could this mean a single rider line would be possible?
        Check out my flickr photos!

Comment

• 1FoolishMortal
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by chrisaustx View Post
          The matterhorn car with the packing slip and green sheet is from the 1977 fleet, the cars are being taken off site, refurbished and then being placed back in the park, they are not new.
          Where are they taking it, though?? Or is this not true at all and is why this question hasn't been answered so far.
          "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

• penguinsoda
            Jester of Randomness
            MiceChat Moderator
            • Jan 2005

Moderator Warning:

You have been asked once already by another moderator to keep the topic on track in reference to the subject of the thread, which is the Matterhorn cars.

Any continued discussion of copyright issues or use of logos may result in those posts being removed from the thread.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
            all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• disneyreporter
              MiceChat Partner Site
              • Jun 2007

Screamscape is now backing up the news I posted at the beginning of this thread.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
              (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
              Four years of magic and still going strong.

Comment

• chrisaustx
                MiceChatter
                • Jul 2005

The employee at Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale that I spoke to this afternoon about the Matterhon prototype model backstage said the photos and "news" are "spectacular!" Another employee in the Burbank office called the "news" and photos "oh, wonderful!" :- Oh snap I just a call on my cell phone from a nice man at Team Disney Anaheim, he said about the photos and news of the Matterhorn protype model backstage, "great, just great."
                Last edited by chrisaustx; 11-19-2007, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Disneyfan4
                  Sock Puppet
                  • Apr 2007

When will they likely put them in? Is there also going to be a long rehab in our future?

Comment

• disneyreporter
                    MiceChat Partner Site
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
                    When will they likely put them in? Is there also going to be a long rehab in our future?
                    As to that, I have no idea ... sorry.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
                    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
                    Four years of magic and still going strong.

Comment

• BoygunaSurf
                      Boat shoes all day long
                      • Jan 2006

I talked to an imagineer on this subject as well. You may have seen his face on the billboards a while back. His name is Ryan A. That's all I know.

Any how, his thoughts on the whole thing were a little confusing. All I could figure out was that he really didn't want to celebrate Thanksgiving with his brother and his best sock!
                      Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

• Skunkwerx
                        The Monkey's Uncle
                        • Aug 2006

This past weekend I asked the line queue CM about the new trains and then I asked the same question to the belt check CM and they both said they would most likely be tested/installed during the next rehab. They both stated it as an assumption....

Just wanted to pass the conversation along to fellow readers.

Aside from that...I won't spew any COPYRIGHT warnings or armchair legal advice.
                        Last edited by Skunkwerx; 11-19-2007, 03:55 PM. Reason: Removed quote

Comment

• Coheteboy
                          Starcruiser.. crash crash
                          MiceChat Moderator
                          • Sep 2005

Tested in January then ay?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• 1FoolishMortal
                            • Apr 2006

The employee at Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale that I spoke to this afternoon about the Matterhon prototype model backstage said the photos and "news" are "spectacular!" Another employee in the Burbank office called the "news" and photos "oh, wonderful!" :- Oh snap I just a call on my cell phone from a nice man at Team Disney Anaheim, he said about the photos and news of the Matterhorn protype model backstage, "great, just great."
                            What's this supposed to imply? If you're stating that Disney is happy with photos of the prototype appearing online, I beg to differ, especially when that not-so-subtle memo went out warning CM's NOT to take pictures of anything backstage and distribute them where inappropriate, etc., etc.
                            "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

• chrisaustx
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
                              What's this supposed to imply? If you're stating that Disney is happy with photos of the prototype appearing online, I beg to differ, especially when that not-so-subtle memo went out warning CM's NOT to take pictures of anything backstage and distribute them where inappropriate, etc., etc.
                              I guess I watch the Colbert report too much, sometimes when I do satire, it comes off too dead pan. Because of these photos I am quite sure all the Disneyland Cast Members will have to read a message on their portal reminding them that backstage photos are not to be taken without approval. Disney is investigating this backstage photo issue and is not happy about the Screamscape article and photos. My contact at WDI whom I used to work with, said that the Screamscape article is b.s. and WDI is busy rebuilding the old cars. I would still like to find out who the contractor is that is rebuilidng the old cars, they are doing a great job and should be commended. Knowing the inside operation of WDI, they always want test items, test graphics, test trash cans, test vehicles. I believe that the prototype bobsled was made on the cheap by an outside contractor and painted at Disneyland to save money, then WDI tried to sell the suits on constructing the new cars. The cost per car to construct new cars is not cheap, at the very least its proably in the $15,000 to $25,000 range, I might be way off and guessing too low. So the decision probably came down and it was to have the old fleet rebuilt in an effort not to spend the extra cash to rebuild everything from scratch. There is no manufacturing facility that can crank out 45 custom made Matterhorn Bobsleds in a matter of a month, this project will take months and months to complete if and when they ever do get new cars. Like I said, I think Disney went the cheap way on the bobsleds and will keep the current fleet until the wheels fall off and they can't be rebuilt any longer.
                              Last edited by chrisaustx; 11-19-2007, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• BC_DisneyGeek
                                Seasick
                                • Oct 2007

Will the new cars have speakers? You know, in order to facilitae the Matterhorn becoming "Rockin' Matterhorn" at night?

In any case, I definately think this is a "break even" change for wait times at worst, and will likely increase capacity slightly, based on my recent observations.
                                My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

• Coheteboy
                                  Starcruiser.. crash crash
                                  MiceChat Moderator
                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
                                  Will the new cars have speakers? You know, in order to facilitae the Matterhorn becoming "Rockin' Matterhorn" at night?

Nooo... it would be Yodel Mountain!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                  http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• BC_DisneyGeek
                                    Seasick
                                    • Oct 2007

Well, that would certainly make the ride seem longer!
                                    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

• Moving Sidewalk
                                      Lost in Wonderland
                                      • Feb 2005

I guess I watch the Colbert report too much, sometimes when I do satire, it comes off too dead pan. Because of these photos I am quite sure all the Disneyland Cast Members will have to read a message on their portal reminding them that backstage photos are not to be taken without approval. Disney is investigating this backstage photo issue and is not happy about the Screamscape article and photos. My contact at WDI whom I used to work with, said that the Screamscape article is b.s. and WDI is busy rebuilding the old cars. I would still like to find out who the contractor is that is rebuilidng the old cars, they are doing a great job and should be commended. Knowing the inside operation of WDI, they always want test items, test graphics, test trash cans, test vehicles. I believe that the prototype bobsled was made on the cheap by an outside contractor and painted at Disneyland to save money, then WDI tried to sell the suits on constructing the new cars. The cost per car to construct new cars is not cheap, at the very least its proably in the $15,000 to $25,000 range, I might be way off and guessing too low. So the decision probably came down and it was to have the old fleet rebuilt in an effort not to spend the extra cash to rebuild everything from scratch. There is no manufacturing facility that can crank out 45 custom made Matterhorn Bobsleds in a matter of a month, this project will take months and months to complete if and when they ever do get new cars. Like I said, I think Disney went the cheap way on the bobsleds and will keep the current fleet until the wheels fall off and they can't be rebuilt any longer.
                                      Hurray! That's good news to hear. I like the old bobsleds. And why would they have an outside contractor rebuilding the bobsleds? Disneyland typically repairs them in-house in their ride vehicle maintenance shop, and repaints them over in their paint shop (the old roundhouse). It looks like they're still doing things in-house.

Now as for the new Small World boats, that's one thing I'm not looking forward to. Those boats are said to be much cheaper to build than their existing fleet, which is one reason they are going ahead with the project. And these new boats may not look quite as nice.

Comment

• chrisaustx
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Moving Sidewalk View Post
                                        Hurray! That's good news to hear. I like the old bobsleds. And why would they have an outside contractor rebuilding the bobsleds? Disneyland typically repairs them in-house in their ride vehicle maintenance shop, and repaints them over in their paint shop (the old roundhouse). It looks like they're still doing things in-house.

Now as for the new Small World boats, that's one thing I'm not looking forward to. Those boats are said to be much cheaper to build than their existing fleet, which is one reason they are going ahead with the project. And these new boats may not look quite as nice.
                                        The rebuilt bobsled I took a photo of several weeks ago had a packing slip attached, it looks like it was shipped via a trucking company like Roadway, Disney would not need a freight manifest attached if the job was done in house.

Comment

• Darkbeer
                                          Darkbeer
                                          • Jan 2005

The rebuilt bobsled I took a photo of several weeks ago had a packing slip attached, it looks like it was shipped via a trucking company like Roadway, Disney would not need a freight manifest attached if the job was done in house.
                                          If it was done in Orlando, where Disney does a lot of the refurb/vehicle work, it would need to be shipped.

Orlando has a much larger facility and proper tools to do this type of work.

For example, all the Disneyland trams used by guests (the current version) were built in Orlando and shipped to Anaheim.
                                          Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X