X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trojanrobmc
    replied
    Re: New Matterhorn Cars

There are so many different things being said about what the "new" bobsleds will look like; when they'll be added; IF they'll be added; whether there will be belts--I'm just going to wait and see for myself.

Leave a comment:

• SnowflakeSparks
    replied

Originally posted by disneyhound View Post
    LOL, help us...
    Taking tight turns and hearing a yeti yell... AND hear yodeling? Oh my. rofl

Leave a comment:

• chrisaustx
    replied

Someone is taking the time to scrub, shine, spit polish and give the "new" look to the Matterhorn bobsleds, this just isn't a refurb where you put on some new wheels and wipe off some of the grease. There are more newly refurbed cars on the track on the Matterhorn, they look brand new, its hard to tell that are the original cars. Whoever is doing the rehab, Disney employees at Walt Disney World, who are working for cheap or an outside contractor, they are doing a great job.

Leave a comment:

• Alpine
    replied

There is nothing new about the refurbishment of the '78 bobsleds. They are constantly being rotated out for that treatment and always have been, just like every other vehicle in the park.

Leave a comment:

• disneyhound
    replied

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Nooo... it would be Yodel Mountain!
    LOL, help us...

Leave a comment:

• mrfantasmic
    replied

I dunno, you can usually find a bobsled or two back in building 500.

Leave a comment:

• Darkbeer
    replied

Originally posted by chrisaustx View Post
    The rebuilt bobsled I took a photo of several weeks ago had a packing slip attached, it looks like it was shipped via a trucking company like Roadway, Disney would not need a freight manifest attached if the job was done in house.
    If it was done in Orlando, where Disney does a lot of the refurb/vehicle work, it would need to be shipped.

Orlando has a much larger facility and proper tools to do this type of work.

For example, all the Disneyland trams used by guests (the current version) were built in Orlando and shipped to Anaheim.

Leave a comment:

• chrisaustx
    replied

Originally posted by Moving Sidewalk View Post
    Hurray! That's good news to hear. I like the old bobsleds. And why would they have an outside contractor rebuilding the bobsleds? Disneyland typically repairs them in-house in their ride vehicle maintenance shop, and repaints them over in their paint shop (the old roundhouse). It looks like they're still doing things in-house.

Now as for the new Small World boats, that's one thing I'm not looking forward to. Those boats are said to be much cheaper to build than their existing fleet, which is one reason they are going ahead with the project. And these new boats may not look quite as nice.
    The rebuilt bobsled I took a photo of several weeks ago had a packing slip attached, it looks like it was shipped via a trucking company like Roadway, Disney would not need a freight manifest attached if the job was done in house.

Leave a comment:

• Moving Sidewalk
    replied

I guess I watch the Colbert report too much, sometimes when I do satire, it comes off too dead pan. Because of these photos I am quite sure all the Disneyland Cast Members will have to read a message on their portal reminding them that backstage photos are not to be taken without approval. Disney is investigating this backstage photo issue and is not happy about the Screamscape article and photos. My contact at WDI whom I used to work with, said that the Screamscape article is b.s. and WDI is busy rebuilding the old cars. I would still like to find out who the contractor is that is rebuilidng the old cars, they are doing a great job and should be commended. Knowing the inside operation of WDI, they always want test items, test graphics, test trash cans, test vehicles. I believe that the prototype bobsled was made on the cheap by an outside contractor and painted at Disneyland to save money, then WDI tried to sell the suits on constructing the new cars. The cost per car to construct new cars is not cheap, at the very least its proably in the $15,000 to $25,000 range, I might be way off and guessing too low. So the decision probably came down and it was to have the old fleet rebuilt in an effort not to spend the extra cash to rebuild everything from scratch. There is no manufacturing facility that can crank out 45 custom made Matterhorn Bobsleds in a matter of a month, this project will take months and months to complete if and when they ever do get new cars. Like I said, I think Disney went the cheap way on the bobsleds and will keep the current fleet until the wheels fall off and they can't be rebuilt any longer.
    Hurray! That's good news to hear. I like the old bobsleds. And why would they have an outside contractor rebuilding the bobsleds? Disneyland typically repairs them in-house in their ride vehicle maintenance shop, and repaints them over in their paint shop (the old roundhouse). It looks like they're still doing things in-house.

Now as for the new Small World boats, that's one thing I'm not looking forward to. Those boats are said to be much cheaper to build than their existing fleet, which is one reason they are going ahead with the project. And these new boats may not look quite as nice.

Leave a comment:

• BC_DisneyGeek
    replied

Well, that would certainly make the ride seem longer!

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Will the new cars have speakers? You know, in order to facilitae the Matterhorn becoming "Rockin' Matterhorn" at night?

Nooo... it would be Yodel Mountain!

Leave a comment:

• BC_DisneyGeek
    replied

Will the new cars have speakers? You know, in order to facilitae the Matterhorn becoming "Rockin' Matterhorn" at night?

In any case, I definately think this is a "break even" change for wait times at worst, and will likely increase capacity slightly, based on my recent observations.

Leave a comment:

• chrisaustx
    replied

Originally posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    What's this supposed to imply? If you're stating that Disney is happy with photos of the prototype appearing online, I beg to differ, especially when that not-so-subtle memo went out warning CM's NOT to take pictures of anything backstage and distribute them where inappropriate, etc., etc.
    I guess I watch the Colbert report too much, sometimes when I do satire, it comes off too dead pan. Because of these photos I am quite sure all the Disneyland Cast Members will have to read a message on their portal reminding them that backstage photos are not to be taken without approval. Disney is investigating this backstage photo issue and is not happy about the Screamscape article and photos. My contact at WDI whom I used to work with, said that the Screamscape article is b.s. and WDI is busy rebuilding the old cars. I would still like to find out who the contractor is that is rebuilidng the old cars, they are doing a great job and should be commended. Knowing the inside operation of WDI, they always want test items, test graphics, test trash cans, test vehicles. I believe that the prototype bobsled was made on the cheap by an outside contractor and painted at Disneyland to save money, then WDI tried to sell the suits on constructing the new cars. The cost per car to construct new cars is not cheap, at the very least its proably in the $15,000 to $25,000 range, I might be way off and guessing too low. So the decision probably came down and it was to have the old fleet rebuilt in an effort not to spend the extra cash to rebuild everything from scratch. There is no manufacturing facility that can crank out 45 custom made Matterhorn Bobsleds in a matter of a month, this project will take months and months to complete if and when they ever do get new cars. Like I said, I think Disney went the cheap way on the bobsleds and will keep the current fleet until the wheels fall off and they can't be rebuilt any longer.
    Last edited by chrisaustx; 11-19-2007, 10:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1FoolishMortal
    replied

The employee at Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale that I spoke to this afternoon about the Matterhon prototype model backstage said the photos and "news" are "spectacular!" Another employee in the Burbank office called the "news" and photos "oh, wonderful!" :- Oh snap I just a call on my cell phone from a nice man at Team Disney Anaheim, he said about the photos and news of the Matterhorn protype model backstage, "great, just great."
    What's this supposed to imply? If you're stating that Disney is happy with photos of the prototype appearing online, I beg to differ, especially when that not-so-subtle memo went out warning CM's NOT to take pictures of anything backstage and distribute them where inappropriate, etc., etc.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Tested in January then ay?

Leave a comment:

• Skunkwerx
    replied

This past weekend I asked the line queue CM about the new trains and then I asked the same question to the belt check CM and they both said they would most likely be tested/installed during the next rehab. They both stated it as an assumption....

Just wanted to pass the conversation along to fellow readers.

Aside from that...I won't spew any COPYRIGHT warnings or armchair legal advice.
    Last edited by Skunkwerx; 11-19-2007, 04:55 PM. Reason: Removed quote

Leave a comment:

• BoygunaSurf
    replied

I talked to an imagineer on this subject as well. You may have seen his face on the billboards a while back. His name is Ryan A. That's all I know.

Any how, his thoughts on the whole thing were a little confusing. All I could figure out was that he really didn't want to celebrate Thanksgiving with his brother and his best sock!

Leave a comment:

• disneyreporter
    replied

Originally posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
    When will they likely put them in? Is there also going to be a long rehab in our future?
    As to that, I have no idea ... sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Disneyfan4
    replied

When will they likely put them in? Is there also going to be a long rehab in our future?

Leave a comment:

• chrisaustx
    replied

The employee at Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale that I spoke to this afternoon about the Matterhon prototype model backstage said the photos and "news" are "spectacular!" Another employee in the Burbank office called the "news" and photos "oh, wonderful!" :- Oh snap I just a call on my cell phone from a nice man at Team Disney Anaheim, he said about the photos and news of the Matterhorn protype model backstage, "great, just great."
    Last edited by chrisaustx; 11-19-2007, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X