This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Revival of the AA Theatre-Style Attraction

The true hollywood story of an AA's sadness and his ultamite demise!

After losing his job and mass forture he was evicted and forced to dress up in a seasonal showing at his neighbor's house.

Comment

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
      Actually, it has many--you should ride it sometime--they are great!
      I think some folks need to go back and find out what the difference between and audio animatronic and a standard mechanical figure.

Jungle Cruise had animal figures in 1955. The Submarine Voyage had moving figures in 1959 - they were not Audio Animatronics.

Heck the Calico Mine Ride and Log Ride at Knott's have tons of moving figures, but we don't consider those Audio Animatronics either, do we?

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
        We must remember that guests are IMPRESSIONABLE and may not always know what they are specifically going to see. You bury something... its going to reflect in the attendance as well.
        There are a lot of instances where attraction entrances are hidden, and it has not been a problem at Disneyland. Autopia's entrance is hidden behind Innoventions. Space Mountain's entrance is hidden as well. Both of those attractions are quite popular.

People at Disneyland will find something if they want to find it. The problem with the bears is that people did not want to find them.

So you're saying the Tiki Room is not walt's first AA attraction? There are so many examples to debunk that claim its not even worthy of listing them.
        It was late and I made the mistake of saying they had to be human. The Tiki Room was the first AA show.

The figures in the JC are synchronized to a program triggered by events rather then just a fixed time schedule like a POTC is.
        There is a difference between producing motion with a cam and lever than with a pre-programmed set of hydraulics.

The figures in the Jungle Cruise are very simple. When a light sensor is tripped, a motor can power a series of cams and levers that make the figure look like it's moving. It's not following a program. It's about as much of an Audio Animatronic as the dancing Santa at WalMart.

Comment

Opinion presented as fact is tedious and pointless. Additionally, are your unfounded assumptions made by using CBJ's last days as an indicator versus your guess as to Pooh's attendance in its relative 'newness'?
          If you want to believe that Pooh is not getting better numbers than the Country Bears, that's your prerogative. I simply fail to see why you would believe that to be true, when you can see more people lining up for Pooh, and even when you have CMs saying that the numbers are better.

Location is not the problem. The Country Bears closed because the show was not popular.

I suppose you think bad location sunk Mr. Lincoln too.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
            I think some folks need to go back and find out what the difference between and audio animatronic and a standard mechanical figure.

Jungle Cruise had animal figures in 1955. The Submarine Voyage had moving figures in 1959 - they were not Audio Animatronics.

Heck the Calico Mine Ride and Log Ride at Knott's have tons of moving figures, but we don't consider those Audio Animatronics either, do we?
            Debating the technical, legal, moral, psychological, spiritual, physiological definition of AA with you does not interest me. We all know what form of entertainment we are making reference to. Of all the great counterpoints to your arguments within this thread, you choose to start a debate about 'What defines an AA'? If this interests you, start another seperate thread, please.

Comment

If you want to believe that Pooh is not getting better numbers than the Country Bears, that's your prerogative. I simply fail to see why you would believe that to be true, when you can see more people lining up for Pooh, and even when you have CMs saying that the numbers are better.
              It is my perrogative, and I furthermore do not misrepresent it as fact. You could 'see' only small groups 60+ waiting outside CBJ becuase of the massive capacity, and the enormous inner lobby. Pooh has an exterior queue I have never seen (or heard of being) filled.
              Location is not the problem. The Country Bears closed because the show was not popular.
              In your opinion. Of course it is also your opinion that JC has no AAs.
              I suppose you think bad location sunk Mr. Lincoln too
              Lincoln has yet to be 'sunk', and not all AA shows merit unlimited engagements. 'Lincoln' may have run its course--that is for Disney to decide, but ultimately, the Public to decide.

Comment

The Country Bears show was really tired at the end. I'm glad it's gone, and I really do like Pooh as a replacement.

A terrific point about the quality of AAs themselves. The AAs we see on attractions are certainly less sophisticated than theatre AAs, and this is a shame. I, too, would love to see what a lavishly-funded team of Imagineers could come up with using today's impressive AA technology, and I think others would, as well.
                I donno, last time I rode Pirates the Jack AAs blew me away.

I'd love to see a new theatre type AA ride. I went on the Stitch Encounter thing in Florida a few years ago and it was really neat, there's so much that can be done with sound and modern AA technology that I think they'd have no problem making a good show. I'm not sure if a CBJ show would work where it's just a lot of singing animals for 20 minutes, but I'm positive the Imagineers could come up with something.

Comment

Debating the technical, legal, moral, psychological, spiritual, physiological definition of AA with you does not interest me. We all know what form of entertainment we are making reference to.
                  I think it's pretty silly to start a thread questioning the validity of AA shows, when someone doesn't know what an AA actually is.

Lincoln has yet to be 'sunk'
                  I certainly hope you are not holding your breath waiting for his return.

Comment

I think it would be in Disney's best interest to resurrect Lincoln before the end of next year.

2009 marks Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday and I heard there will be events going on nationally to commemerate this event.

I think starting late next year people are going to start showing a higher than usual interest in Lincoln and so I think it would be fitting to bring it back.

Comment

A revised Lincoln show should go to a smaller venue in Frontierland. Something new should come to the Opera House.
                      Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

I think it's pretty silly to start a thread questioning the validity of AA shows, when someone doesn't know what an AA actually is.
                        Let me give you my ill-informed, technologically naive personal definition of an AA as it applies to this discussion, so we need not have to endure any more of this ever-so-constructive nitpicking: I use AA as a generic term to refer to animated figures in any form; used in a manner to entertain. This includes 'programmed' figures, as well as 'triggered' figures; speaking and non-speaking. I hope this clears the matter up. Please excuse the unforgivable 'ease of use' with which I use the term. Can we move on now to the actual topic?

I certainly hope you are not holding your breath waiting for his return
                        Holding my breath in anticipation of Disney returning to the quality story-telling it has built its Empire on seems foolish; so, no I am not.

Comment

Originally posted by The International View Post

I donno, last time I rode Pirates the Jack AAs blew me away.

I'd love to see a new theatre type AA ride. I went on the Stitch Encounter thing in Florida a few years ago and it was really neat, there's so much that can be done with sound and modern AA technology that I think they'd have no problem making a good show. I'm not sure if a CBJ show would work where it's just a lot of singing animals for 20 minutes, but I'm positive the Imagineers could come up with something.
                          Agreed. Singing animals may have already had their day. The few bits and pieces we see of current AA technology makes me think a new theatre show would be impressive indeed!!

Comment

You could 'see' only small groups 60+ waiting outside CBJ becuase of the massive capacity, and the enormous inner lobby.
                            I never once went on CBJ as a "walk-on". We always went into the lobby and waited for at least one show before we got to go in...even on days when we had to ask a CM "is Country Bears open? There's no sign of life out here..."
                            Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
                            : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Comment

Please excuse the unforgivable 'ease of use' with which I use the term. Can we move on now to the actual topic?
                              Sure. Hey. If you really miss those AA shows perhaps you can find a Chuck E Cheese that still has it's AA show. Assuming they haven't removed them all.

Holding my breath in anticipation of Disney returning to the quality story-telling it has built its Empire on seems foolish; so, no I am not.
                              Ok. I guess we will have to just learn to love rides like Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror instead of waiting for them to produce another America Sings.

Sigh.

Comment

Sure. Hey. If you really miss those AA shows perhaps you can find a Chuck E Cheese that still has it's AA show. Assuming they haven't removed them all.

Ok. I guess we will have to just learn to love rides like Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror instead of waiting for them to produce another America Sings.

Sigh.
                                Yes, animated robotic characters have varying degrees of sophistication and entertainment value. Shocker. Is a Tempo not a 'car' because it is not a Ferrari? The AA term, as I use it is generic, and yes, would encompass Chuck E Cheese Pizza Time Theatre characters. So what is your point (if any)?

Disneyland would not survive if all attractions were IJ and ToT. You're smart Liver, you realize this.

Comment

A terrific point about the quality of AAs themselves. The AAs we see on attractions are certainly less sophisticated than theatre AAs, and this is a shame. I, too, would love to see what a lavishly-funded team of Imagineers could come up with using today's impressive AA technology, and I think others would, as well.
                                  Swabby, I would have agreed with you five months ago, but after seeing
                                  Sinbad in TDS, I would have to respectfully disagree.

It has at least 6 Tom Morrow/Barbossa class (probably better) AAs
                                  (every Sinbad) and even the other AAs are much more better articulated than anything I've seen in ANY theatre AA. Also a HUGE AA in the Genie;
                                  both arms move.

Comment

First technical mention, creation of the actual word, was the design and implimentation of the Tiki Room which then led to the additions of the Elephant Bathing Pool, Gorilla Camp, and Trapped Safari... Walt specifically requested that this new technology be applied throughout his park and tasked Marc Davis with among other things the J.C. I think your right, someone does need to crack open a history book.

There is a difference between producing motion with a cam and lever than with a pre-programmed set of hydraulics.

The figures in the Jungle Cruise are very simple. When a light sensor is tripped, a motor can power a series of cams and levers that make the figure look like it's moving. It's not following a program. It's about as much of an Audio Animatronic as the dancing Santa at WalMart.
                                    Really not sure where you are getting your information from but I thought I would be nice enough to correct this as well. some of the OLDER ones are cam & lever, mainly the Hippos and the water buffalo come to mind. Most of the NEW animals are either pneumatic or hydrolic. Also the light sensor you mentioned is tied to a central computer system that syncs zone sound along with the trigger for animal motion which in turn provides that oh so realistic animal movement. So.... any more questions?
                                    Last edited by techskip; 11-16-2007, 03:59 PM.
                                    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

:lol:

Boy, things are heating up around here!

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                        :lol:

Boy, things are heating up around here!
                                        No just being honest, I apologize if the tone seemed a bit harsh. I tend to be rather defensive of the Jungle. Incidently I forgot to add the specific dates so here.

• Elephant Pool and African Veldt Added, no animals
                                        • Tiki Room opens and the world meets the AA's
                                        • Elephants put in the pool
                                        • Animals put in the Veldt
                                        • Trapped Safari becomes... well.. trapped
                                        • Hornbill and Crocs added (later removed for Indy)
                                        • Cobras and Bengal tiger added
                                        • Safari Camp added
                                        • Gorilla and Croc added
                                        • Baboons and Lion cave added to Veldt
                                        • Python and Water Buffalos added
                                        1994-95
                                        • Portion of the Sunken City removed for Indy
                                        • Jungle Boathouse built and Hornbill added to rafters (I believe cobra as well but have not found supporting documentation as to when)
                                        2004-05
                                        • Third cobra taken down out of the rafters.
                                        • Ginger moved to Sunken City
                                        • Baboons moved to Gorilla Camp
                                        • Explosions added to Gorilla Camp
                                        • Box replaces Ginger
                                        • Piranhas added
                                        • Sam loses mask and gains Ellie (don't even get me started)
                                        • Ucy wheelchair boat premiers
                                        • Gold Congo premiers
                                        Unfortunately I do not have the documentation to when Sam was added but I know he was not original.

This is per the 1980's training manual.
                                        "In the early 60's the word "Audio-Animatronics" was born from a somewhat old Disney idea. Through the years, Walt had toyed with the idea of using animated three-dimensional characters at Disneyland. Several attractions, noteable the Jungle Cruise and Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland, contained three dimensional animals whose features (ears, tails, eyes and so on) wiggled, blinked, and twitched as guests approached and observed them. However, Walt, and his staff were determined to further develop and expand this process, and by 1963 Audio-Animatronics was well on it's way to becoming a whole new form of entertainment...

... Following the success of Audio-Animatronics and the Enchanted Tiki Room, a "new" Jungle Cruise was not far behind. A wide variety of figures, including a bathing herd of elephants, numberous animals in the African Veldt, and a comical trapped Safari were added in 1964, all brought realistically "to life" by Audio-Animatronics, further enhancing the Jungle Cruise show. Additional snakes, birds, gorillas, crocodiles, monkeys, and other animals were again added in 1976 bringing the total number of figures to 121."

History has been, and will always be the greatest teacher... looks like Disney thinks there are AA's in the J.C. someone better call them and let them know they're wrong
                                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• Re: The Revival of the AA Theatre-Style Attraction

I would love to see an AA theater show in the future.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X