Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ask not out of contention but out of curiosity, how do the redesigned Mickey shorts damage the images of the original cartoon characters? I would say the original characters and shorts are timeless, and I still think that some of the old Goofy shorts are among the most hilarious things I have ever seen in my entire life, but for most people, aesthetic preferences and senses of humor tend to evolve over time. 1940's Fantasia Sorcerer Mickey does not look exactly the same as 1920's Mickey. Today's Mickey has undergone more change than perhaps any other throughout the character's history, but I don't think it was done to be edgy so much as appeal to today's younger audience, who are accustomed to cartoons with bright colors, high frame rates, and sharp lines and edges. As far as I can tell, the spirit of the original cartoons is alive and well even with the redesign. It has only given a modern flair to a classic character.
    Warriors, Giants, Sharks, Texans fan from the Bay Area.
    Annual visitor to Disneyland ('99, '04-08, '11-present)
    So so hyphy.

Comment

I have no concept ,what they showing anymore on the Disney Channel,
      or any other,
      for I know it been garbage, for years!

But having Freaky Mickey and Minnie Cartoon's ,at the parks
      I find it typical Chapek move to ignore the classic-character for the marketeers.
      IMO= I find it damaging the image of the, historical cartoon characters.
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I actually do have to call into question whether the quality of the modern cartoons are damaging the image of Mickey and Co, and whether they're too edgy compared to the "originals."

While I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir to what has to be a forum of largely composed of Disney fans; the original mickey actually differs largely from the character we currently see in the park, who comes across as a boy scout. Looking back at even the most famous older shorts, lets pick Steamboat Willie, Mickey was by no means an angel, routinely beating up on animals (though, obviously this was an element at the time, often used in what we now call the "machine gag," where an animal will be squashed, stretched, punched and poked into functioning like a needed tool), acting like a casanova, getting into fights over Minnie, and otherwise just being chauvinistic and abusive to those around him in order to meet his goals. Throw in the fact the world of the older cartoons shows things like chewing tobacco, cigars, guns, etc. I don't really understand the argument that the modern cartoons are too edgy, or paint the characters in a negative light that they didn't fall into in the originals.

NOW, if the point is, the modern cartoons pay too much homage to the spunky, dynamic, often morally questionable originals; that they undo the squeaky clean reputation Disney PR tried to push during the later half of the last century (mostly to make the characters more appealing and thus, more marketable *cough*), then I am willing to agree. The modern mickey and co are alot more edgy and crude, compared to the characters alot of people remember from things like Mickey's Christmas Carol, or even Mouseworks/House of Mouse.

But if it really is a comparison between the new stuff and the ORIGINAL cartoons, then someone else, please explain to me how mickey sometimes being a jerk to Donald or Goofy, is more edgy and crude that Mickey pulling on the teats and suckling piglets of a nursing sow to make it oink in pain, to make music in an attempt to impress Minnie.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoDubs View Post
          I ask not out of contention but out of curiosity, how do the redesigned Mickey shorts damage the images of the original cartoon characters? I would say the original characters and shorts are timeless, and I still think that some of the old Goofy shorts are among the most hilarious things I have ever seen in my entire life, but for most people, aesthetic preferences and senses of humor tend to evolve over time. 1940's Fantasia Sorcerer Mickey does not look exactly the same as 1920's Mickey. Today's Mickey has undergone more change than perhaps any other throughout the character's history, but I don't think it was done to be edgy so much as appeal to today's younger audience, who are accustomed to cartoons with bright colors, high frame rates, and sharp lines and edges. As far as I can tell, the spirit of the original cartoons is alive and well even with the redesign. It has only given a modern flair to a classic character.
          This is just me, but perhaps the objection is that they're not the classics of old. Maybe the objection is that they appeal to current audiences, but not necessarily to established fans, who think that Disney is doing a disservice by not showing their classic content (i.e., Silly Symphonies) more.
          My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
          2. Pirates of the Caribbean
          3. Splash Mountain
          4. Mad Tea Party
          5. Peter Pan's Flight
          6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Comment

Originally posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post

This is just me, but perhaps the objection is that they're not the classics of old. Maybe the objection is that they appeal to current audiences, but not necessarily to established fans, who think that Disney is doing a disservice by not showing their classic content (i.e., Silly Symphonies) more.
            This is honestly the most logical arguement, but it does open up a very easy solution. Disney could just show a variety of shorts? As mentioned in my early post, the meet and greet can sometimes easily reach about 45min plus, with a good chunk of it being the theatre room. Honestly, I'd love if there was a mix of shorts. Let the kiddos get their modern French mickey, throw in some classics, and maybe even Mouse works stuff. Disney surely has enough to have a nice healthy collection of shorts they can put on shuffle and let go for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

This is honestly the most logical arguement, but it does open up a very easy solution. Disney could just show a variety of shorts? As mentioned in my early post, the meet and greet can sometimes easily reach about 45min plus, with a good chunk of it being the theatre room. Honestly, I'd love if there was a mix of shorts. Let the kiddos get their modern French mickey, throw in some classics, and maybe even Mouse works stuff. Disney surely has enough to have a nice healthy collection of shorts they can put on shuffle and let go for hours.
              I think you both are spot on. It certainly couldn't hurt to show shorts from Mickey's earliest days, to Mickey in the 1940s, the present Mickey shorts, etc. to show his progression over time to people in the room. Before these shorts, Mickey wasn't well known as a figure beyond the parks themselves to the current generations of kids because the Disney shorts pretty much stopped when House of Mouse ended. I always thought they should try to expand his presence in other media, but I also can't blame people for not liking this new style. It can be rather jarring.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the re-imaging of Mickey, et. al. This "fresh and hip" version just rubs me wrong and is a big departure from the classic Mickey.

I know many people will say Mickey has been evolving since '28, but they've all pretty much looked similar (Fred Moore's was the best IMHO). This "New" Mickey looks so harsh and unattractive. Not everything has to be edgy these days.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                  I'm not a fan of the re-imaging of Mickey, et. al. This "fresh and hip" version just rubs me wrong and is a big departure from the classic Mickey.

I know many people will say Mickey has been evolving since '28, but they've all pretty much looked similar (Fred Moore's was the best IMHO). This "New" Mickey looks so harsh and unattractive. Not everything has to be edgy these days.
                  I agreed......
                  I guest this why ,I do not like the cartoons they put on TV !
                  Harsh and Unattractive
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I agreed......
                    I guest this why ,I do not like the cartoons they put on TV !
                    Harsh and Unattractive
                    Remember when the Disney Channel showed classic Disney cartoons, shows, and movies? If they didn't have the little Disney Channel logo on the screen, you'd never know it was the "Disney Channel" these days.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

Remember when the Disney Channel showed classic Disney cartoons, shows, and movies? If they didn't have the little Disney Channel logo on the screen, you'd never know it was the "Disney Channel" these days.
                      Those days it was worth watching classic Disney Channel.........

Now
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	ZomGoofy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.1 KB ID:	8537269

Can't wait for Mickey and Minnie's Badly Drawn Cracked Out Railroad
                        This Space For Rent

Comment

I prefer the classic chainsmoking Goofy over that.

My daughter loves the new shorts. I prefer the old ones, but then that's what I grew up watching. Honestly, when I first saw them, I thought they were like a little internet side project since they had that rough, simple style - Ren and Stimpy lite. It's not something that I figured would make their way into the parks. But I like that they were experimenting with the characters and creating new stuff with the original crew.

Comment

People will complain just to complain.

The newer shorts are far more based on classic Mickey then anything we grew up with. They are funny, witty, good for kids and adults alike. I think they are brilliant, and I have never laughed out loud to a Mickey cartoon as an adult until these shorts.

Can't wait for more, and I would assume they are insanely popular as Disney isn't slowing down.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                            ~

Comment

Let me preface my comments by saying that I actually do enjoy the newer Mickey Mouse cartoons. Whenever I notice a new one on my youtube feed, I do set aside a few moments to watch it. I wouldn't classify any of them as masterpieces, and I can certainly do without some of the more crass jokes. Some of the shorts are indeed better than others, and I'm not a big fan of the visual style. However, the creators are very much fans of vintage Disney, and that can be seen in the final product. Some have already commented on the Nature's Wonderland inspired short, and I was pleasantly surprised by the number of references and inside jokes in the Halloween special I watched last night (one of the Haunted Mansion busts can be seen in one of the shots). Also, letting Mickey be irreverent is not necessarily a bad thing.
                              All that said, I have been increasingly alarmed over the last decade or so over Disney's marginalization of much of its vintage content - especially the classic shorts. Yes, a certain amount of lip service is provided via D23 and perhaps the parks. Yet, I think back to when I was a child in the early 90s. The love for these was cartoons was palpable. Not a day went by back then when these cartoons weren't being shown on the Disney Channel. If you walked into a video store or a Blockbuster, you'd see row upon row of the VHS compilations. Even into the DVD era, you still had home video releases including the great Walt Disney Treasures discs (of which I have the complete collection). However, where are these cartoons today? The Disney Channel? Good luck in seeing anything from Walt's time on any of the so-called Disney Channels (you might be lucky in catching a rare sighting of one of the features). How about blu-ray or DVD? The DVDs are long out of print, and Disney can't be bothered to put out remastered, high-definition versions on blu-ray with the exception of a handful of throw-away extras. To be fair, I'm not a streamer so I don't have first-hand knowledge of the streaming situation with these cartoons. From what I have heard, only a small number are available at the moment (I welcome any correction on this front). Perhaps Disney will let them have a larger presence once it starts its streaming service in 2019. For a collection of cartoons that are culturally, aesthetically, and historically significant, Disney's treatment is surprisingly apathetic. These are the shorts that defined and established the Disney studio - you know the whole "it was started by a mouse" business. These cartoons should be given the same level of consideration given to Casablanca and The Godfather by Warner Bros. and Paramount respectively. Generations have enjoyed these shorts and have marveled at their artistry. Animators to this day reference them as being major influences on their work. They shouldn't be forgotten.
                              To bring this discussion back to the topic on hand, I am a bit disappointed by Disney removing the faux-style trailers with the current Mickey cartoons. The Mickey's house walk-through is largely themed around vintage Mickey, and these new cartoons don't fit that theme all too well. It just strikes me as another instance of the apathy that modern Disney has for its vintage content and theme.

Comment

Originally posted by indiginerd View Post
                                I prefer the classic chainsmoking Goofy over that.

My daughter loves the new shorts. I prefer the old ones, but then that's what I grew up watching. Honestly, when I first saw them, I thought they were like a little internet side project since they had that rough, simple style - Ren and Stimpy lite. It's not something that I figured would make their way into the parks. But I like that they were experimenting with the characters and creating new stuff with the original crew.
                                That's what I thought too. A little cheap and easy side project to entertain a few and that Disney could say they're still making Mickey Mouse cartoons. Nothing wrong with that but now they're shoving it into the parks where you would expect to see vintage classic Mickey. Just doesn't feel right.
                                This Space For Rent

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X