Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

If Disneyland burned down?

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Disneyland burned down?

All these fires are a great reminder how fragile our world is. What if a horrific disaster hit Disneyland? Do you think Burbank would rebuild, or take the insurance money and build somewhere else? I think you could make a case for either course of action. Some things to consider: patron location, work force location, land availability, regulations, relationship with government agencies in So Cal, economic incentives offered by other areas, infrastructure requirements, traffic in LA/Orange County (yes some of these are related). I am curious what others think would happen.

I can't bear to even think about it. My heart tells me they'd rebuild an exact replica (warts and all), my head tells me they'd take the money and run to a new location (still in So Cal) with more room to grow.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I would think that they'd be very opportunistic and buy land around the existing area and rebuild bigger and better in Anaheim. I would imagine that they would try to replicate areas like Main Street USA as close as possible to the original and then improve on other areas like TL. That being said; I do believe that they've taken as many precautions as possible to survive fires, earthquakes and the like.

Comment

I hope a disaster large enough to destroy Disneyland never happens. BUT the advantage would be to rebuild it better. A new location might be considered sacrilegious, but the Orange County Great Park could easily hold 4 Disneyland Resorts, including DTD and the hotels. It would be quite an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. P View Post
          I would think that they'd be very opportunistic and buy land around the existing area and rebuild bigger and better in Anaheim. I would imagine that they would try to replicate areas like Main Street USA as close as possible to the original and then improve on other areas like TL. That being said; I do believe that they've taken as many precautions as possible to survive fires, earthquakes and the like.
          You know, I hadn't stopped to think that a fire that devastated DL would most probably also devastate the surrounding area. I think you're right. They'd buy up real estate (probably to the west where it's mostly residential) and rebuild.

But it's still yucky to think about it!
          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

When I first read the title I thought this thread would be headed straight to the Litter Box, and then I realized what was happening right now in various areas of the state.

I think they would buy all the land they could in Anaheim and then rebuild.

DLR 2.0 would be the bubble wrap + version, with most of the "Disney" removed. The "sharp pencil boys" (and girls) would be responsible for the demise of the Tiki Room, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, the subs, the Matterhorn, Toontown, Storybook canal boats and Casey Jr. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but the attractions that would not survive are the ones you don't see in DLP, HKDL, and SDL. You could argue that we don't see them there because they are already at DL, but that argument fails because there are numerous attractions they build at every park.

DLR 2.0 would consist of nothing more then IP Land north and IP Land south.

On a positive note, they might fix the parking problem and expand Downtown Disney.

Maybe we need to start a fire extinguisher fund...

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
              When I first read the title I thought this thread would be headed straight to the Litter Box, and then I realized what was happening right now in various areas of the state.

Tiki Room, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, the Matterhorn, Toontown, Storybook canal boats and Casey Jr. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but the attractions that would not survive are the ones you don't see in DLP, HKDL, and SDL.
              Tiki Room is at WDW, WDW has the Hall Of Presidents (And it makes sense that these sorts of attractions would be America Specific anyway.) The Matterhorn has a similar ride in Animal Kingdom called Expedition Everest. The Canal Boats are in Paris. Finally, Toontown is at WDW and TDL, and has an equivalent (Toon Studios) in DLP. Casey Jr. and the Subs are only rides that are DL exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. P View Post
                This^^^. Disney would pull the land grab of the century. They would aquire soo much property that it would be the next WDW.
                My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

Anaheim Hills and the surrounding area was devastated with the fires
                  and the rest of Orange County in Smoke.......
                  I would not want ,to ever see that again,
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

If Disneyland burned down, I believe it would be akin to the destruction of the Library of Alexandria in 48 BC. Such a loss of Culture. It could be rebuilt, but I fear it would never be the same...it wouldn't be Walt's Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by The Haunted Pirate View Post

Tiki Room is at WDW, WDW has the Hall Of Presidents (And it makes sense that these sorts of attractions would be America Specific anyway.) The Matterhorn has a similar ride in Animal Kingdom called Expedition Everest. The Canal Boats are in Paris. Finally, Toontown is at WDW and TDL, and has an equivalent (Toon Studios) in DLP. Casey Jr. and the Subs are only rides that are DL exclusive.
                      Casey Jr is in DLP as well.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                        If Disneyland burned down, I believe it would be akin to the destruction of the Library of Alexandria in 48 BC. Such a loss of Culture. It could be rebuilt, but I fear it would never be the same...it wouldn't be Walt's Disneyland.
                        I agreed
                        ,but at the same time, I feel Walt's Disneyland started losing it charm already.
                        I find that sad
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I think they would rebuild and also tie a huge marketing scheme to go with it.
                          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                          My company had a special night at the park
                          WdW trip report with WWoHP
                          NYE 2011 trip report
                          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                          Leap year 24 hour report
                          New DCA trip report
                          NYE 2012
                          HKDL trip report

Comment

They would take the money and run somewhere out in the Inland Empire.

Comment

The probable answer is: any fire/disaster that devastates the resort to a level that would require a complete rebuild would also, most likely, affect nearby land as well. That land would probably become rather cheap, and Disney would take advantage and buy more of that land.

The city would (most-likely) provide a pretty hefty tax break/incentive to encourage a rebuild, and I think public pressure to keep things relatively the same would cause a DLR to be built that is rather similar to the current setup. That means classic favorites like the Tiki Room/Great Moments/Casey Jr/Storybook Land would come back, but you might see some expansion thanks to that land grab/clearance. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to extend the underpass under DTD, and then move the Grand Californian over, to allow for more expansion space in DCA. Similarly, this would probably prompt a Tomorrowland makeover, since this kind of disaster would give them the opportunity to completely rebuild the buildings (you could finally bring the PeopleMover back with the ADA compliance rather easily in this scenario).

TL;DR: Disney grabs more surrounding land, fires catalyst for changes in areas you'd expect, while other favorites get brought back.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X