Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Far-Reaching Consequences of LA Times vs. Disneyland

Today, the LA Times announced that Disney is refusing to give their journalists advance screening of movies, most recently Thor: Ragnarok (and probably Star Wars: The Last Jedi as well), as a response to the negative reporting from the piece "Is Disney paying its share in Anaheim?" Link to "Times note on Disney Blackout."

There was a long and heated discussion in the Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge here on Micechat regarding the original article, and now we have Disney's response to both the city (Eastern Gateway demise) and the press.

Already we are seeing reactions from fellow journalists and Disney shareholders criticizing this decision to retaliate, but what do fellow Micechatters think? Is playing hardball in Disney's best interest, or is this a massive misreading of the situation?

Please be nice and civil in this discussion!

I just think it's pissy and small minded. I would have expected better of Disney or any other major business.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Well, I could write something else, but this just sad.

Comment

This makes Disney look bad.

Comment

At the end of the day it's nothing.

It makes Disney management look immature, but its not like there are hoards of people who live and die by LA Times movie reviews, either.

Just a bunch of toddlers fighting over a toy.

Comment

Had LA Times lied or put a terrible spin on their articles i'd understand Disney's point. But I agree that it's immature to block them out simply for writing an article about Disney paying its fair share. Gotta love the management here.
            KA CHOW

Comment

Originally posted by longbeachaztec View Post
              At the end of the day it's nothing.

It makes Disney management look immature, but its not like there are hoards of people who live and die by LA Times movie reviews, either.

Just a bunch of toddlers fighting over a toy.
              The only toddler in this scenario is Disney. We should at least be thankful that Disney hasn't cried, "Fake news!"

Comment

Well as a Shareholder, I have two opinions. First, It's pointless to retaliate against the LAT for an article.

Secondly, I am in the minority it seems here and don't think Disney needs to "pay it's fair share". That's just another way of saying the Government wants to fleece Disney for their own mismanagement of tax dollars. Disney has paid more than their "fair share" in many ways.

Lastly, how many people really read the LA Times movie reviews? I for one don't need a critic to tell me if I'm going to like a movie or not. Most of the time they never like what I like and like what I don't like.
                “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                WDW Trips: '81
                EPCOT Trips: '93
                Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Disney major business , needs to know how ,to work with other's.
                  Retaliate against LA Times is not the answer, and it does make Disney look Bad !
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                    I just think it's pissy and small minded. I would have expected better of Disney or any other major business.
                    Exactly. Disney's reaction to the LA Times comes from the top -- from the guy who everyone calls "nice" and "mild mannered." Bob Iger.

People forget that Bob was a protege of Michael Eisner for years. And Disney's pissy, small-minded reaction to a newspaper story is typical of Michael's sensibility.

Like everyone knows, the big ME is gone from the Burbank lot. But his spirit is very much alive in the attitudes that permeate Disney's management culture.
                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

People are seriously confusing Disney and Government. Disney is a private entity, they have the right to bar anyone from press coverage as long as it isn't on the basis of race, class, gender, ethnicity, etc. This isn't a debate of freedom of speech or press either, it's a goddamn movie review about a formulaic Marvel film, people, calm down. While it does raise some ethical questions, Disney is perfectly valid in taking this response.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectacular View Post
                        People are seriously confusing Disney and Government. Disney is a private entity, they have the right to bar anyone from press coverage as long as it isn't on the basis of race, class, gender, ethnicity, etc. This isn't a debate of freedom of speech or press either, it's a goddamn movie review about a formulaic Marvel film, people, calm down. While it does raise some ethical questions, Disney is perfectly valid in taking this response.
                        who's arguing that?

they can respond how they want, I think everyone here agrees on that.

But most of us think the optics are bad; it makes them look petty; we expect better from them, though maybe we shouldn't...
                        L + L = R

Comment

This is not news to any of the MiceChat staff. We have not been invited, nor will we ever be invited, to any press event. Disney is petty, childish, and they hold a grudge. Disney only invites media outlets that kiss their behinds, regardless of what mindless tripe Disney spews forth.

It's interesting that they are doing this to the LAT (considering the obvious attention this is getting), but it's nothing new.

It's obvious that Playhouse Disney closed at DCA in order to move to its permanent home next to Iger's office. The real reason Disney hasn't built the new parking structure is that they spent that money on nannies and binkies for the execs.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                            It's obvious that Playhouse Disney closed at DCA in order to move to its permanent home
                            next to Iger's office.

Now , I know why Burbank/Disney have all the fun.........LOL
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                              It's interesting that they are doing this to the LAT (considering the obvious attention this is getting), but it's nothing new.
                              Yep. It's especially interesting that they're doing it to the LAT considering the enormous amount of positive, even gushing, coverage on Disneyland and DLR that the Times has given them over the years. One would think the Times was a mouthpiece for Disney PR.

But let them report one story about Disney's relationship with Anaheim that doesn't cast Disney as the hero, and whammo -- they're blacklisted.

That arrogant "My Way or the Highway" attitude is pure Michael. It's interesting, but also not surprising, how strongly it remains in the corporate culture after all these years he's been gone -- and how strongly it contrasts with the friendly, wholesome image that Disney tries to project.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

IMO.........Disney friendly,( family )wholesome image that Disney tries to project.
                                Went down the drain .long , long , time ago !
                                Last edited by Eagleman; 11-03-2017, 06:58 PM.
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post

The only toddler in this scenario is Disney. We should at least be thankful that Disney hasn't cried, "Fake news!"
                                  I'd say the failing newspaper that has lost 50% of its circulation in the last 25 years, and is wasting its time on old cliche, "big scary business versus the brave small town" stories doesn't come out looking much better. But, at the end of the day it's a silly feud that nobody will care about six months from now.

Comment

Disney is so pathetic. They cannot take negativity seriously. Why should they expect good reviews or opinion all the time. I am not buying Disney shares.

Comment

It's not a good look for Disney, no matter how you slice it, to willingly choose to bar a newspaper from things because of perceived "unfair coverage." It's especially not a good look for Bob Iger, especially if those rumors of him considering a run in politics are true, because that's easy catnip for opponents to attack him on. And of course, what does this say about other things going forward? If a reviewer gives a Disney movie a bad review, will they be barred from future movies? If a financial analyst rates Disney poorly, will they go out of their way to attack them? This is a pretty self-inflicted wound on their part.

Comment

Most people won’t care about this a year from now. Not even in the top 10 of things that happened yesterday. Especially with all the news coming out of Hollywood and DC lately.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X