Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

If Disney bought DC instead of Marvel..?

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my younger days, I was more of a DC fan, but also like Marvel. However, I rather not like the presence of superheros in the parks.
    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
      I rather not like the presence of superheros in the parks.
      I AGREED
      and To many MIX-MATCH of Brands in the in a Disney-Parks
      Last edited by Eagleman; 12-03-2017, 02:33 PM.
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Talks are heating up that they are going to buy Fox, which would give them control of X-Men and the Fantastic Four. X-Men have always been my favorite, even more so than the Avengers.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
          Talks are heating up that they are going to buy Fox, which would give them control of X-Men and the Fantastic Four. X-Men have always been my favorite, even more so than the Avengers.
          I can already imagine where the execs want to drop that garbage in the current parks instead of doing it right. They'll re-theme the Haunted Mansion to the X-Mansion: Xavier's School of Brand Marketing.

Comment

I have been paying little attention to the Disney/Fox talks but my god if this happens, this is going to be epic in a way no one has seen in decades. A studio buying another studio, when was the last time that happened. And yes the IP game would get more crazy at this point and Marvel would be more complete with having X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Comment

When I made this thread I didn't know that Disney was in talks to buy a part of FOX. I'm sure Disney parks would find a way to put X-Men and Fantastic Four somewhere.

I, as well as many others, find Disneyland the sacred land, and DCA as just a plus. At this point I say jam all the advertisements in DCA if Chapek must, but leave Disneyland to originality. Tomorrowland needs a revamp but I don't want DC, Marvel or any other property/movie I know to show up in there (UNLESS.. unless it's a quality idea).
              KA CHOW

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE McQueen View Post
                I, as well as many others, find Disneyland the sacred land, and DCA as just a plus. At this point I say jam all the advertisements in DCA if Chapek must, but leave Disneyland to originality. Tomorrowland needs a revamp but I don't want DC, Marvel or any other property/movie I know to show up in there (UNLESS.. unless it's a quality idea).
                Right on. Disneyland is a product of Walt and the company he created and properties that go into it should come from that same branch. Star Tours, Indiana Jones, and Pixar going in as one off rides makes sense, especially when Disneyland was the only park we had. Now that we have a 2nd park, that should be the park for newly acquired properties. I'm OK with Galaxy's Edge because that decision has already been made and swimming upstream at this point seems fruitless, but I would have preferred for it to go into DCA.

I'm a little skeptical of comics and superheroes in the Disney parks because I feel like they've been somewhat cheapened as a brand due to their inclusion in other parks. Universal has used Marvel heroes and Six Flags has had DC. Even though Disney could have done a better job with its unique storytelling, I still feel like Disney should keep its own iconic brands rather than sharing them with other parks. Disney is the only one to use Star Wars and Indiana Jones, so maybe that's why those feel like the appropriate fit in a limited context.

Comment

Originally posted by Fctiger View Post

I have been paying little attention to the Disney/Fox talks but my god if this happens, this is going to be epic in a way no one has seen in decades. A studio buying another studio, when was the last time that happened. And yes the IP game would get more crazy at this point and Marvel would be more complete with having X-Men and Fantastic Four.
                  I'm more excited about what it means for the movies than what it means for the parks. As I've said in other parts of the thread, I don't really see the superhero universe as a great fit for the parks. Not just because of what it means to Disney's brands or thematic cohesion, but because it's not really a space that I want to live in. Watch movies and read in comics, sure, but not to walk around in and inhabit.

Many comics are set partially destroyed urban environments. That's not what I want to see Disney imagineers producing. Probably the best fit for creating a fantastic world that we could walk in and interact with would be the cosmic characters that are set in outer space. Which means that Guardians would be the best fit, which was much maligned on this board.

Comment

DC hasn't always been darker. Superman has always been pretty goody two-shoes, which is why seeing him snap General Zod's neck in Man of Steel was a departure. Batman has been more dark than Superman, but even in the movies from the 90s they were pretty silly. Obviously the Adam West TV series didn't have dark overtones.

The darker side that DC and Nolan brought in their Dark Knight trilogy was much darker than anything Disney has ever brought in their parks. Ghosts and the supernatural they've done and with Pirates their depravity is very tongue in cheek. The Dark Knight is all about exploring the the contrast between good and evil and how closely those two dichotomous elements intertwine. As the Dark Knight, Batman the hero tosses an informant off a fire escape to get him to talk. Joker is the embodiment of psychopath. It's hard to see some of these elements translating into a Disney park. Even Gotham City itself is a bleak place. What kind of counterpoint is that to Main St. USA?

Unfortunately, I'm a little less optimistic that everything Disney touches is great. See examples of John Carter, the Lone Ranger, Pirates of the Caribbean 2-5.

To be honest, I only really like the Dark Knight. Batman Begins and Dark Knight Returns are both totally serviceable superhero movies, which I enjoyed. Man of Steel I remember seeing, but I honestly don't recall much else about it. We all have our tastes and preferences, but I'm not really pining for Disney to take over DC too.

I'd also say that if you like the darker tone of the DC/Warner Brothers movies, then it doesn't make sense for Disney to be the creative team for it. I think the partnership with Marvel has worked well because they keep it light and fun, which feels much more like Disney's style. If Disney did DC then they'd probably make it more like their successful Marvel movies, which you don't care for.
                    Co Foo

I haven't seen the older Superman or Batman movies but I've heard some cool things about them lol. I think we come from two different worlds here which may be why I think Man of Steel was pretty good, and purists wouldn't think the same as it's not the same Superman they grew up with; or in other words, what Superman was intended to be.

I see your point on TDK trilogy being too dark for Disney. Gotham would be a terrible place to live / visit hahaha. But as an adult, I would find it more interesting than Marvel, and the quality of the product (Nolan's movies) is that much higher than what I see from Marvel. Which brings me to a point:

Disney needs to find a careful balance between child and adult, it's what they've historically been good at. I feel like, in DCA, all the teen E-ticket attractions are being geared towards a fairly specific market (one that I don't fall under). I like Pixar movies, GotG was okay, but never once did I think they deserve to take over parts of the park. I mean in WDW, WDI is dumping money into a Toy Story Land which just looks like a glorified Bug's Land. Someone at Disney was quoted saying something along the lines of "We don't do outdoor coasters because anyone can do that and we're better than that", yet now we're getting a "Slinky dog" coaster? gimme a break. Yeah we have go-go gadget coaster (is that what it's called? LOL I should know this) but it's a very minor project.

As many other members have said, I don't want this stuff jammed down my throat, but if it's going to be I at least want something a bigger chunk of the adult population would enjoy. Timeless and classic.

Then again I could just be shallow and not realize this is what people want, i guess. Our culture is rapidly changing and Disney isn't what it used to be.

Right on. Disneyland is a product of Walt and the company he created and properties that go into it should come from that same branch. Star Tours, Indiana Jones, and Pixar going in as one off rides makes sense, especially when Disneyland was the only park we had. Now that we have a 2nd park, that should be the park for newly acquired properties. I'm OK with Galaxy's Edge because that decision has already been made and swimming upstream at this point seems fruitless, but I would have preferred for it to go into DCA.

I'm a little skeptical of comics and superheroes in the Disney parks because I feel like they've been somewhat cheapened as a brand due to their inclusion in other parks. Universal has used Marvel heroes and Six Flags has had DC. Even though Disney could have done a better job with its unique storytelling, I still feel like Disney should keep its own iconic brands rather than sharing them with other parks. Disney is the only one to use Star Wars and Indiana Jones, so maybe that's why those feel like the appropriate fit in a limited context.
                    Co Foo i couldn't have said it better myself. Heroes can have their homes at Six Flags and Universal. I'm no fan of branding and reskins as you probably already know hahaha.

Galaxy's Edge probably would've been better off in DCA, but there's no really complaints from me as the DLRR was extended because of it. Still haven't seen the parks since the change though and i'm going back next week! Galaxy's Edge is appreciated because Star Wars is loved by nearly everyone. Audiences new and old, across all ages with many different tastes. It's withstood the test of time and therefore I do think it deserves it's own land.

Indy, Splash Mountain and Star Tours found a great home because their ideas were fantastic. It wasn't a rush job like the stuff we're getting today (minus SWL).
                    KA CHOW

Comment

Co Foo I see your point on TDK trilogy being too dark for Disney. Gotham would be a terrible place to live / visit hahaha. But as an adult, I would find it more interesting than Marvel, and the quality of the product (Nolan's movies) is that much higher than what I see from Marvel.
                      I'd agree that the Dark Knight was a great movie. It's combination of complex characters and stories made it stand out in the genre in a way that I didn't expect. When I think about the movie, it might be the highest quality superhero movie that I've seen.

Here's where it gets complicated though. Even though I agree that it is more interesting and a higher quality product, I don't enjoy watching it was much as I do the Marvel movies. The Dark Knight may been smarter and more thoughtfully developed than Marvel, but it doesn't have the fun factor. I never laughed when I watched the Dark Knight. There aren't any feel good moments. So if I were a critic, I'd give Dark Knight a higher rating, but my gut feeling is that I liked the Marvel movies more. I own both Dark Knight and the two Avengers movies and I've watched Avengers more times in the last couple of years than I have Dark Knight.

Disney needs to find a careful balance between child and adult, it's what they've historically been good at. I feel like, in DCA, all the teen E-ticket attractions are being geared towards a fairly specific market (one that I don't fall under).
                      I haven't been on GOTG yet, but I don't think Marvel in general has tipped the balance too far to the child end of the spectrum. The spectrum is wide enough so that a lot of ideas can be captured into it before it's too much. It's not like they made a ride out of High School Musical. I checked the app before I wrote this post and the wait for GOTG was 75 minutes. That's not made up solely of 14 year old boys. It must be hitting a pretty fat part of the spectrum to get high numbers like that. Everyone has their own preferences, so I'm not trying to convince you that you should like it, but enough people have voted with their feet to indicate that Disney made the right call with the appeal for this ride.

I like Pixar movies, GotG was okay, but never once did I think they deserve to take over parts of the park. I mean in WDW, WDI is dumping money into a Toy Story Land which just looks like a glorified Bug's Land. Someone at Disney was quoted saying something along the lines of "We don't do outdoor coasters because anyone can do that and we're better than that", yet now we're getting a "Slinky dog" coaster? gimme a break. Yeah we have go-go gadget coaster (is that what it's called? LOL I should know this) but it's a very minor project.

As many other members have said, I don't want this stuff jammed down my throat, but if it's going to be I at least want something a bigger chunk of the adult population would enjoy. Timeless and classic.

Then again I could just be shallow and not realize this is what people want, i guess. Our culture is rapidly changing and Disney isn't what it used to be.
                      I agree that Pixar Play Place or whatever doesn't look great, but Avatar was really cool. I didn't care for the movie much, but when I walked into the land at night my jaw literally dropped. It was that visually stunning. My only complaint is that there's only two rides and with the layout of Animal Kingdom it feels really isolated.

They're also going all in for Star Wars, so I don't think there's a problem with the culture, people's tastes getting generally worse, or Disney being unwilling/unable to produce great attractions. Sometimes Disney is going to nail a concept and knock it out of the park and sometimes they're going to fall short.

Comment

I'd agree that the Dark Knight was a great movie. It's combination of complex characters and stories made it stand out in the genre in a way that I didn't expect. When I think about the movie, it might be the highest quality superhero movie that I've seen.

Here's where it gets complicated though. Even though I agree that it is more interesting and a higher quality product, I don't enjoy watching it was much as I do the Marvel movies. The Dark Knight may been smarter and more thoughtfully developed than Marvel, but it doesn't have the fun factor. I never laughed when I watched the Dark Knight. There aren't any feel good moments. So if I were a critic, I'd give Dark Knight a higher rating, but my gut feeling is that I liked the Marvel movies more. I own both Dark Knight and the two Avengers movies and I've watched Avengers more times in the last couple of years than I have Dark Knight.

I haven't been on GOTG yet, but I don't think Marvel in general has tipped the balance too far to the child end of the spectrum. The spectrum is wide enough so that a lot of ideas can be captured into it before it's too much. It's not like they made a ride out of High School Musical. I checked the app before I wrote this post and the wait for GOTG was 75 minutes. That's not made up solely of 14 year old boys. It must be hitting a pretty fat part of the spectrum to get high numbers like that. Everyone has their own preferences, so I'm not trying to convince you that you should like it, but enough people have voted with their feet to indicate that Disney made the right call with the appeal for this ride.

I agree that Pixar Play Place or whatever doesn't look great, but Avatar was really cool. I didn't care for the movie much, but when I walked into the land at night my jaw literally dropped. It was that visually stunning. My only complaint is that there's only two rides and with the layout of Animal Kingdom it feels really isolated.

They're also going all in for Star Wars, so I don't think there's a problem with the culture, people's tastes getting generally worse, or Disney being unwilling/unable to produce great attractions. Sometimes Disney is going to nail a concept and knock it out of the park and sometimes they're going to fall short.
                        hmm.. I can see that. Sometimes we all just want a lighthearted fun experience and in that case we're less inclined to pick a movie like TDK.

Though i'd love to challenge that a little bit. TDK's message was about people being generally good, and how a city shouldn't give in to fear. Harvey Dent fell unfortunately but that scene at the end with the two ferries was supposed to be heart warming, as heart-warming as Nolan gets. I also found a few things funny but I also enjoy dark humor lol.

In my not-so-humble opinion, I don't watch Marvel because I don't find it mature enough / good enough. I don't enjoy the humor or action portrayed in the films (the "mature enough" part is kind of funny considering I tend to love Pixar films. But I mean, I don't giggle and have butterflies over a "baby groot". I couldn't care less for baby groot). Also there is a newness factor to GotG that probably wont die for a good while, and may even live through Pixar Pier. Only time will tell if it really is timeless

I really want to check out Avatar land, I haven't been to WDW since high school. I expect the same sort of quality for SWL! I think they took the proper amount of time, consideration, and budget to make something special happen.
                        KA CHOW

Comment

Though i'd love to challenge that a little bit. TDK's message was about people being generally good, and how a city shouldn't give in to fear. Harvey Dent fell unfortunately but that scene at the end with the two ferries was supposed to be heart warming, as heart-warming as Nolan gets. I also found a few things funny but I also enjoy dark humor lol.
                          To me it was more about how when under duress people reveal things about them that you wouldn't expect. Prisoners save the ferry full of innocents, and those innocents vote to blow up the prisoners. Joker is the one there to give them that push to see if they tip into their darker nature. There might have been humor in TDK, but it wasn't happy humor. I think there's a distinction there worth noting.

In my not-so-humble opinion, I don't watch Marvel because I don't find it mature enough / good enough. I don't enjoy the humor or action portrayed in the films (the "mature enough" part is kind of funny considering I tend to love Pixar films. But I mean, I don't giggle and have butterflies over a "baby groot". I couldn't care less for baby groot).
                          I think there were some more complicated themes in some of the Marvel movies worth calling out. The Captain America movies especially have explored the role of government, to what extent we should regulate positive behavior, is vigilantism appropriate, pitfalls of the surveillance state, etc. I thought these were especially relevant given its coinciding with the Edward Snowden disclosures. One thing they focused on in Civil War is something that has always been missing in these superhero movies is how do we hold the heroes accountable after their fights wreck half the City. Civil War forces viewers to ask those questions and pick sides between two people that we've come to trust.

One of my common themes here is that everyone's personal opinions are perfectly valid. Maybe it is somewhat incongruous to like the "maturity" of Nolan and Pixar, but people are complicated and whatever floats your boat is fine. That's different though than saying that Disney should or should not put in a specific attraction because of how the general population sees it.

Also there is a newness factor to GotG that probably wont die for a good while, and may even live through Pixar Pier. Only time will tell if it really is timeless
                          The talk about timelessness of GOTG is kind of interesting because it's only relevant because we're talking about GOTG. Had it been a Spider-Man ride, which has already shown to be timeless, then we wouldn't need to bring it up at all.
                          Last edited by Co Foo; 12-06-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Oddly enough, should the Disney buy-out of Fox actually transpire, Disney would share ownership of the 1960s Batman series with WB and outright own the 1966 movie.

Comment

I'm more excited about what it means for the movies than what it means for the parks. As I've said in other parts of the thread, I don't really see the superhero universe as a great fit for the parks. Not just because of what it means to Disney's brands or thematic cohesion, but because it's not really a space that I want to live in. Watch movies and read in comics, sure, but not to walk around in and inhabit.

Many comics are set partially destroyed urban environments. That's not what I want to see Disney imagineers producing. Probably the best fit for creating a fantastic world that we could walk in and interact with would be the cosmic characters that are set in outer space. Which means that Guardians would be the best fit, which was much maligned on this board.
                              Well I was mostly talking about the movie side as well. As Marvel has showed any buy out will take a long time to develop on the FOX end since Disney probably has so many plans with SW, MCU. Frozen and Pixar at the moment. Although it is fitting one of Fox's biggest movies, Avatar, is already a land in WDW. That place will be added to other parks in no time if this deal goes through.

I wouldn't worry about any big additions from FOX any time in the near future. Its true they moved on Star Wars pretty fast once they got the rights but SW is a bigger deal and been part of Disney parks for decades now. And MCU really already has the biggest heroes now with Avengers, GOTG and Spider-Man. X-Men are cool and pretty big but they are not as big as those guys currently are.

Comment

Originally posted by Fctiger View Post

Well I was mostly talking about the movie side as well. As Marvel has showed any buy out will take a long time to develop on the FOX end since Disney probably has so many plans with SW, MCU. Frozen and Pixar at the moment. Although it is fitting one of Fox's biggest movies, Avatar, is already a land in WDW. That place will be added to other parks in no time if this deal goes through.

I wouldn't worry about any big additions from FOX any time in the near future. Its true they moved on Star Wars pretty fast once they got the rights but SW is a bigger deal and been part of Disney parks for decades now. And MCU really already has the biggest heroes now with Avengers, GOTG and Spider-Man. X-Men are cool and pretty big but they are not as big as those guys currently are.
                                "Marvel Studios Head Kevin Feige Is Reportedly Very 'Eager' To Bring 'X-Men' To 'The Avengers' Universe"

Not a great article, but it does get my blood pumping a bit.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...061955542.html

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X