Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Star Tours to expand and seperate into new and old sagas

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Star Tours to expand and seperate into new and old sagas

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/disney-...-and-new-sagas

This brings up a few interesting points I think. You'll be able to switch between the old ST and the new ST according to this article. Do you think they'd be able to do this with Soarin, and if so why haven't they? Also, a new upgrade to Star Tours brings up some interesting thoughts on rather the ride is going to stay in Tomorrowland post SWL or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: From WaltDisney'sAlec

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-disney-parks/
    Last edited by 1LE McQueen; 11-14-2017, 11:33 AM.
    KA CHOW

Should note that by switching between old ST and new ST, they mean you can choose to ride the original Adventure Continues ST that took you to places like Hoth and Naboo, or ride the new saga that will feature the Jakuu segment from the Force Awakens launch and the new Crait finale, along with a new opening sequence.

Comment

This is exactly what the whole "multiple theaters" concept should be used for. Imagine if every time you got on Space Mountain, you got to decide if you wanted to see Hyperspace Mountain or the classic 2005 version. I know someone that works on Soarin'. I mentioned the possibility of using one theater to show the classic version, but I also asked about the possibility of interspersing some of the old scenes in with the new scenes. The opening view of the Matterhorn and the flyover past Neuschwanstein castle are incredible, as are the final two scenes with the Eiffel Tower and the revamped Disneyland finale. Still, I'm not much a fan of many other scenes that I think were just plain better when shot in California. The vistas in our state are hard to match, and it's saying something that the only comparable ride movie is one that takes you all around the world. He seemed open to the idea, but it might be some time before we see additional budget poured into Soarin' given that the revamp was so recent.

Comment

This article would be more believable if the author knew the correct usage of the word parsec. It is an astronomical unit of distance, not time.

Comment

Anyone who is a Star Wars fan knows that, in the Star Wars universe, parsecs are a measure of time. In A New Hope, Han brags that the Millenium Falcon was able to “complete the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs”.

The author is believable and he obviously knows Star Wars.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
            This is exactly what the whole "multiple theaters" concept should be used for. Imagine if every time you got on Space Mountain, you got to decide if you wanted to see Hyperspace Mountain or the classic 2005 version. I know someone that works on Soarin'. I mentioned the possibility of using one theater to show the classic version, but I also asked about the possibility of interspersing some of the old scenes in with the new scenes. The opening view of the Matterhorn and the flyover past Neuschwanstein castle are incredible, as are the final two scenes with the Eiffel Tower and the revamped Disneyland finale. Still, I'm not much a fan of many other scenes that I think were just plain better when shot in California. The vistas in our state are hard to match, and it's saying something that the only comparable ride movie is one that takes you all around the world. He seemed open to the idea, but it might be some time before we see additional budget poured into Soarin' given that the revamp was so recent.
            WaltDisney'sAlec

I agree with you! I really do miss Soarin' over California and I don't know why they can't separate the two theaters to show the different films. Unfortunately you are right about the revamp being so recent that they may not want to do this but I can see minimal budget being taken as the film for SOC and the ride profile have already been made.

Originally posted by AstroJeff View Post
            This article would be more believable if the author knew the correct usage of the word parsec. It is an astronomical unit of distance, not time.
            Originally posted by DSizzle31 View Post
            Anyone who is a Star Wars fan knows that, in the Star Wars universe, parsecs are a measure of time. In A New Hope, Han brags that the Millenium Falcon was able to “complete the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs”.

AstroJeff
            DSizzle31

You guys are reminding me of that Monorail episode from the Simpsons.

"and let me just say, may the force be with you!" -Mayor Quimby

"do you even know who I am?" - Leonard Nimoy
            KA CHOW

Comment

Hmmm to me doesn't sound very believable. I mean sure they could split the theaters in half by old versus new. The logistics of that though really don't make sense with the line configuration. Also you will have confusion among the guests to deal with. I would actually rather they come up with 10 different ride profiles that actually make a cohesive story and make those randomly played through. The current story telling doesn't tell much of a story the original one at least was a story. Now it is a bunch of scenes like a trailer with a lite story of a rebel spy thrown on top of it. I think it would have been ideal if they moved it to GE and created a star port where the attractions story would be integrated into SWGE.
              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
              My company had a special night at the park
              WdW trip report with WWoHP
              NYE 2011 trip report
              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
              Leap year 24 hour report
              New DCA trip report
              NYE 2012
              HKDL trip report

Comment

The thing I dislike about new Soarin' is all the CGI. It takes away the realism. Also, if you're not in the center things look awfully skewed, such as the bending Eifel Tower.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroJeff View Post
                  Originally posted by DSizzle31 View Post

How the Star Wars Kessel Run Turns Han Solo Into a Time-Traveler – WIRED.com

For what it’s worth, I think we’re supposed to see this in the upcoming Han Solo movie. If that’s true, I’m pretty excited for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post

The thing I dislike about new Soarin' is all the CGI. It takes away the realism. Also, if you're not in the center things look awfully skewed, such as the bending Eifel Tower.
                    I agree! There is way too much CGI, the transitions are forced, and some sequences too short. I can't speak to the skewing because I always ask for the center though, haha

Comment

1LE McQueen Feel free to update the OP with the new info out of the Disney Parks Blog:

Exclusive First Look: Starspeeder Flight Through Crait on Star Tours – The Adventures Continue at Disney Parks

That last sentence

Comment

I agree! There is way too much CGI, the transitions are forced, and some sequences too short. I can't speak to the skewing because I always ask for the center though, haha
                        I can totally understand their thinking; the original had all these quick cuts from one ecosystem to another and they wanted it to be more natural. Ideally, going up into the clouds between each scene would work best, but that wouldn't always make sense either, and would add too much time to the ride.

I'd like to see them do the two different versions in the two theaters. Much like the swinging and non-swinging Fun Wheel lines.

Comment

I think a better solution would be to randomize the experiences so that you get the original or the new versions whenever you ride, rather than giving guests the option. I think it would be a little weird if you wound up having one line be longer than the other, which would be less efficient and increase overall wait times.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post

I can totally understand their thinking; the original had all these quick cuts from one ecosystem to another and they wanted it to be more natural. Ideally, going up into the clouds between each scene would work best, but that wouldn't always make sense either, and would add too much time to the ride.
                            I actually never had a problem with the cuts in the original version. I thought some of them led to much more dramatic entrances into those scenes. Going up into and coming down from the clouds would be more natural, but it would also slow down the experience and you'd probably spend too much time drifting in and out of the scenes that you actually care about.

What they have now with the elephant tossing the dust in the air feels a little hokey to me.

Comment

unfortunately I only think this would work if they eliminated fast pass for these rides. the second queue that is used for fastpass would be used for left vs right in terms of the theaters and old vs new in terms of shows.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X