Announcement

Collapse

Gumball Rally 2018

Tickets are selling fast! Act now to reserve your spot. http://micechat.com/events/rally
See more
See less

(Poll) Would you approve a major upgrade for the Haunted Mansion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Poll) Would you approve a major upgrade for the Haunted Mansion?

If you were the sole line of defense between our current HM, and a newly refurbished / upgraded Haunted Mansion, would you approve or rip the contract apart?

Sure we all love the hatbox ghost. It's a modern marvel of technology all the while it looks amazing. But what if Disney incorporated that sort of change, into the entire attraction? I mean a full, multi-million dollar sort of investment. To give you an idea, here's something I was thinking about:

Immediately after the elevators, guests would be welcomed by ultra-realistic raindrop sounds accompanied by upgraded lightning and thunder sound effects to accurately mimic a sever thunderstorm. The hallway has a real, pronounced red carpet underneath your feet as you are greeted by a much more narrower hallway then that ridiculous mess we have now. The flickering chandeliers are bigger and more expensive looking, while the portraits on the right side are given real frames that are both old and faded. The wooden accents that look plastic-y, are replaced with real hand-carved wooden pieces. Before you enter your "doom buggy", that huge back-wall greets you with a more pronounced foggy sort of sky (or a cemetery.. or even a staircase like the HM overseas has)

Your example of a HM 2.0 doesn't have to be like mine, but I'm talking about major changes that would make the attraction feel quite a bit more real. Would you support those sort of changes, or would you like to leave the legendary attraction alone?
    Yes
    61.84%
    No
    38.16%
    KA CHOW

I'm in favor of major upgrades - as long as they are in fact UPGRADES. There was a 10 year period when it seems like the referb/replacements actually make the ride worse instead of better (Imagination Pavilion, Horizons, TL overlay). Cheap updates suck. And I'm not talking about matters of taste (like I hate Frozen and loved the Aladdin show). I am talking about flat out inferiority. I am optimistic that dark period is over. Changes to - Cars, Big Thunder, Peter Pan, Matterhorn, Gardians, Hyperspace Mountain, Sorin - give me hope.

Comment

Originally posted by BW1 View Post
      I'm in favor of major upgrades - as long as they are in fact UPGRADES. There was a 10 year period when it seems like the referb/replacements actually make the ride worse instead of better (Imagination Pavilion, Horizons, TL overlay). Cheap updates suck. And I'm not talking about matters of taste (like I hate Frozen and loved the Aladdin show). I am talking about flat out inferiority. I am optimistic that dark period is over. Changes to - Cars, Big Thunder, Peter Pan, Matterhorn, Gardians, Hyperspace Mountain, Sorin - give me hope.
      Thank you for your input! I feel like the changes have been good back and forth.. big thunder, cars, matterhorn amazing. Guardians, hyperspace, soarin, maybe not so much.

I agree with you about Aladdin since I actually fell asleep in Frozen lol. Great point that so long as they don't squeeze dollars out for this project, it can be something truly amazing like i'm imagining it to be. And it doesn't have to be all that costly either anyway. And since Chapek just loves branding, they can do this around the same time Guillermo Del Toro is rumored to have his Haunted Mansion movie.
      KA CHOW

Comment

Absolutely. I've actually been thinking about this rather recently. I would love to see it happen sooner, but I could see them pouring millions into a major upgrade for all the classic Disney rides. Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion are great examples of timeless rides that are still drawing in big numbers. Will that still be the case 20 years from now after Star Wars Land and Marvel Land have opened? Obviously that's hard to say, but a revitalization with really fresh and new effects could do so much. They can honor the past and update the ride for the future. I like your ideas in particular, but the possibilities really are endless. I could definitely see Disney giving a major upgrade to every ride for the 100th anniversary of Disneyland's opening, but hopefully we don't have to wait that long!

Comment

There are some changes I wouldn't mind for the Haunted Mansion. The Hatbox Ghost addition is the biggest plus. I would though bring back all of Paul Frees' spiels and narration. As for Haunted Mansion Holiday, I would add a character using Paul Frees' lines.

Comment

Upgrades in the generic sense are pretty hard to turn down. I don't believe that anything at Disneyland should be so sacrosanct that it could never be touched.

That being said, I don't care for the Hatbox Ghost. Any upgrades should keep the effects looking more ethereal. Hatbox Ghost looks like he's going to jump in my doombuggy.

Comment

Sorry-but Disney today and there marketing Imagineers and Chapek love of cheap re-branding .
              I see a up-grade become a down - grand......make the Attraction worse instead !
              rip the contract apart...till there is a Better Leadership ,who care
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Tear up the contract. Current management would find a way to "make it better" and destroy what is easily one of their best attractions on any property. The little updates have been good. Although I don't care for the placement of the hatbox ghost I do like seeing him. This is an attraction that keeps a gateway open to the past DL and I would hate to lose that.
                These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                My company had a special night at the park
                WdW trip report with WWoHP
                NYE 2011 trip report
                Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                Leap year 24 hour report
                New DCA trip report
                NYE 2012
                HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                  Sorry-but Disney today and there marketing Imagineers and Chapek love of cheap re-branding .
                  I see a up-grade become a down - grand......make the Attraction worse instead !
                  rip the contract apart...till there is a Better Leadership ,who care
                  Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                  Tear up the contract. Current management would find a way to "make it better" and destroy what is easily one of their best attractions on any property. The little updates have been good. Although I don't care for the placement of the hatbox ghost I do like seeing him. This is an attraction that keeps a gateway open to the past DL and I would hate to lose that.
                  Exactly. The OP's ideas are great. I'd love to see a major tech upgrade and even some new show scenes. But the sad reality is the chances are slim and none that today's Chapek-led Parks & Resorts could duplicate the creativity, imagination, spirit and style that the Gen 1 Imagineers brought to the Haunted Mansion. It ain't broke -- the more they'd try to fix it, the greater the chance they'd break it.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-17-2017, 02:27 PM.
                  "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                  Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                  imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                  until Thor told it to me."
                  -
                  Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Like tech updates, replacing Constance... yes.
                    "Have I gone mad?"
                    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

Spiffing up and plussing, yes. New technology for current effects, yes. Actually CHANGING anything? NO.
                      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I'd be in favor of upgrades, but ONLY if they were in fact, improvements. Make the attraction seem more realistic, but still maintain the same feel of the ride. The truth is, the Haunted Mansion isn't really in need of any great remakes. It's lasted for 50 years BECAUSE it works already. That's why it's a classic.
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I'd approve your changes. But I'm not confident that an upgrade by current Disney management wouldn't include things like replacing the Pepper's Ghost effect with projections.

Comment

I'm in favor of major upgrades and even some small changes. Taking the time and money to make the attraction more immersive and enhancing the feeling it gives would be fantastic. Constance is the biggest disappointment for me so I would have her updated and completely redone. I like the idea of creating a foggy mist over the loading area and the detailed wooden frames in the portrait hall are all great ideas. You have to be careful though, you don't want to change too much and lose the feeling of the attraction. I'd also leave the cracked window and spider in the ball room.

Comment

Working...
                            X