Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Disneyland to discontinue Southern California annual pass – for now

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disneyland to discontinue Southern California annual pass – for now

http://www.sbsun.com/2017/11/20/disn...medium=twitter

The second time in 3 years. I think it's safe to say this won't be coming back for a long time. For me, the question is will they eliminate the SoCal Select pass as we get closer to GE opening.

Comment

I couldn't be happier to see this. It shows Disney is at least acknowledging there's a crowding problem. Hopefully they take the right steps in mitigating those crowds without taking advantage of the demand (we can hope, right??).

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/20...-pass-for-now/

Edit** The Socal Select will still be available. Seems like they should have suspended both...
      -Brian - Find me on Facebook

Comment

It's a start, but they need to do more. There should be one AP level and they should get rid of the monthly payment program.

Yes, I know my opinion is not popular, but I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just offering my opinion.

Comment

Yet, many have argued that these AP holders are the most profitable customers. I think we have the definitive answer on that. Disney does not need the lower tier APs to fill the park during the off season anymore. This discount program can and should end.

I suspect marketing finally saw evidence of what many on this board have been saying all along - the AP pricing structure is causing overcrowding, and chasing away more profitable tourists.

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...th-the-trouble
          Last edited by BW1; 11-20-2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Yes! Im sooo sooo sooo happy! Also the lower tier So Cal Select never seemed to be a problem for crowding. Before they brought back the SoCal Pass the park was light on weekdays. It’s the Sunday Availability that made it so lucrative.

This is amazing news! I couldn’t be happier! Good job on Disney for removing this. I can’t wait. This literally means Sundays and weekdays will be light again in time. Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
              It's a start, but they need to do more. There should be one AP level and they should get rid of the monthly payment program.

Yes, I know my opinion is not popular, but I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just offering my opinion.
              I would be fine with ending the payment plan too, but I doubt it would happen to control crowds. Much more likely Disney would just raise prices. The only way I see the AP payment plan ending is if Disney starts incurring very large administrative costs (payment defaults, collections, etc..). Otherwise, the payment plan is an easy way to make Disneyland more affordable.

Comment

So Cal Select

I call it ! - Disney nor longer needs those pass !
                To much problem with crowding
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by bamato View Post
                  http://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/20...-pass-for-now/

Edit** The Socal Select will still be available. Seems like they should have suspended both...

They will -by the time -Star War Land Open !
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The fact that they eliminated the SoCal Pass but kept SoCal Select tells me they are really worried about the weekend crowds for the upcoming year. I fully expect them to bring back their promotion where they have 3 days for $150 in the spring (or something to that effect). That promotion was a huge hit and the parks were a madhouse on their final weekend. Couple that with the opening of Pixar Pier in the summer and the new fall offerings and Disney has reason to believe every weekend will be busy.

As for the crowding, I think Signature-only passes will really curb the crowds, but I could see Disney keeping those and the Deluxe pass just to fill the parks a little bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

Yes it solves the crowding problem, but in my opinion there would be new problems that would take it's place. Such as Disney closing attractions more often to save the money that was lost in revenue or raise ticket prices to even higher amount or worse case crowding eventually comes back. It's like a damn, the water is still there and still needs a place to go.

Comment

Originally posted by BW1 View Post
                        Yet, many have argued that these AP holders are the most profitable customers. I think we have the definitive answer on that. Disney does not need the lower tier APs to fill the park during the off season anymore. This discount program can and should end.

I suspect marketing finally saw evidence of what many on this board have been saying all along - the AP pricing structure is causing overcrowding, and chasing away more profitable tourists.

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...th-the-trouble
                        How does this mean Disney doesn't need them anymore? They aren't discontinuing it, they are capping it. Disney already did this one and then uncapped it. What this is saying, is that these passes are at the number Disney wants them at.

Comment

Just a small note because I get the sense some here are confused. Disneyland is suspending sales of the So Cal AP to new customers, but the current roster of So Cal AP holders have the option of renewing. The pass itself hasn't been eliminated and remains valid for entry. There is no reduction in AP holders. Just a desire to not take on more customers at that price level and with those block out dates.

This isn't an elimination or rebuke of the Annual Pass program. All it suggests is that the AP tiers all have a maximum number of slots to be sold, and the So Cal AP being the most popular, has hot that maximum.

Comment

Thankfully I can still renew our SoCal passes as well as my parking add on.

Comment

This won't help much. People will hold onto these APs if there is a monthly plan in place.
                              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              My company had a special night at the park
                              WdW trip report with WWoHP
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget