Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Lasseter strange leave of absence

It's sort if cryptic as to why. Maybe sexual harassment in nature? Anyone know why?

http://ktla.com/2017/11/21/disney-pi...ting-missteps/

The head of Pixar allegedly made an “unwanted advance” on actress Rashida Jones and has a history of kissing and touching female staffers, according to a new report.

Ahead of the allegations published in The Hollywood Reporter on Tuesday, Oscar winner John Lasseter — who directed “Toy Story” and “Cars” and is known as one of the most powerful men in film — admitted to making staff feel “disrespected” and “uncomfortable” and announced that he’s going on leave.

Jones is credited as a co-writer on the forthcoming “Toy Story 4,” but actually quit the film early on after her run-in with Lasseter, sources tell the Reporter.

One longtime Pixar employee said the animation honcho is known for “grabbing, kissing, [and] making comments about physical attributes” of female employees, the site report — and his moves are so notorious that women have a nickname for the action of quickly turning their heads to avoid his lips: doing “the Lasseter.”
    sigpic

Comment

Sadly, this isn't exactly new news in the animation community.

Hollywood reporter: John Lasseter's Pattern of Alleged Misconduct Detailed by Disney/Pixar Insiders
      One longtime Pixar employee says Lasseter was known for "grabbing, kissing, making comments about physical attributes."

Excerpts:

Rashida Jones is still credited as a writer on Toy Story 4, the next installment in the beloved franchise. But, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, the actress and her writing partner at the time, Will McCormack, left the project early on after John Lasseter, the acclaimed head of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation, made an unwanted advance.

Jones and McCormack did not respond to repeated requests for comment. Disney declined to comment on the alleged incident though a studio source said the departure was over "creative differences." Multiple sources spoke with THR but asked not to be named out of fear that their careers in the tight-knit animation community would be damaged.

Based on the accounts of former Pixar insiders as well as sources in the animation community, the alleged incident was not an isolated occurrence. One longtime Pixar employee says Lasseter, who is well-known for hugging employees and others in the entertainment community, was also known by insiders for “grabbing, kissing, making comments about physical attributes.” Multiple sources say Lasseter is known to drink heavily at company social events such as premiere parties but this source says the behavior was not always confined to such settings....

...Sources say some women at Pixar knew to turn their heads quickly when encountering him to avoid his kisses. Some used a move they called “the Lasseter” to prevent their boss from putting his hands on their legs. A longtime insider says he saw a woman seated next to Lasseter in a meeting that occurred more than 15 years ago.

“She was bent over and [had her arm] across her thigh,” he says. “The best I can describe it is as a defensive posture ... John had his hand on her knee, though, moving around.” After that encounter, this person asked the woman about what he had seen. “She said it was unfortunate for her to wear a skirt that day and if she didn’t have her hand on her own right leg, his hand would have travelled.”

The same source said he once noticed an oddly cropped photo of Lasseter standing between two women at a company function. When he mentioned that to a colleague, he was told, “We had to crop it. Do you know where his hands were?”

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

Comment

Saw this too on CNBC. This is creepy and sad. Lasseter is a talented guy, but Disney should bring down the hammer if this is true. I can't believe the way some of these guys act.

Comment

Women need to learn how to throw a good punch that hurts really bad and leaves a mark and that would solve a lot of this male against female harassment/assaults in the work place. When you have a cut lip, broken nose or a black eye off of unwanted touching, then other people are going to stop and say, "hey how did you get that?" And then some men will have some splainin' to do.

Waiting years to come forward does nobody any good. A proper "response" ought to be much more proximate in time AND physical space, to the offending event. And what are some of these serial abusing men going to do, claim all these women are just randomly hitting them?

I know this sounds over simplified, but how awful it must be for many women to feel like they have no options in the workplace due to abusive men with power over them. Makes me ill hearing all of these stories, even today Charlie Rose fired from both CBS & PBS for acting like a boorish idiot for many years.

Comment

Wow another fallen hero. I like Lasseter and his work but sadly it looks like he is another slime ball that can't control himself. He built up a great company but its over. We all know that 6 month leave will end up being permanent now. Bill O Reilly went on 'vacation' and never came back. A lot of cleaning house is happening and while its devastating to hear that it came from people I admired and looked up to I don't remotely blame them for doing it.

Comment

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...siders-1059594

Comment

Originally posted by Whipland View Post
                Women need to learn how to throw a good punch that hurts really bad and leaves a mark and that would solve a lot of this male against female harassment/assaults in the work place. When you have a cut lip, broken nose or a black eye off of unwanted touching, then other people are going to stop and say, "hey how did you get that?" And then some men will have some splainin' to do.

Waiting years to come forward does nobody any good. A proper "response" ought to be much more proximate in time AND physical space, to the offending event. And what are some of these serial abusing men going to do, claim all these women are just randomly hitting them?
                Well, I'll say this... your heart's in the right place. Unfortunately, be it animation, live action, government, the business sector -- anywhere there's a hierarchical power structure -- the reality has been that a woman who fights back or speaks up is blackballed. Quickly or slowly, and nearly always in ways she can't combat, she's out. Period.

Originally posted by Whipland View Post
                I know this sounds over simplified, but how awful it must be for many women to feel like they have no options in the workplace due to abusive men with power over them. Makes me ill hearing all of these stories, even today Charlie Rose fired from both CBS & PBS for acting like a boorish idiot for many years.
                It is indeed awful. The kind of crap that guys have been pulling on women in the workplace for generations has destroyed the careers and ruined the lives of countless women, and diminished the lives and careers of uncounted others.

We're seeing a cultural earthquake that has been a long time building, and long past due.

The shocks are just starting. This is just the beginning.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by BW1 View Post
                  Saw this too on CNBC. This is creepy and sad. Lasseter is a talented guy, but Disney should bring down the hammer if this is true. I can't believe the way some of these guys act.
                  John is done at Disney. The Company makes everyone at director level and above sign off that they've read and agreed to the voluminous HR documents about inappropriate behavior in the workplace. These guys not only know better, they sign their names promising they won't engage in this behavior.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Who next.........
                    John Lasseter

Another ....so call "NICE GUY" take a leap down on his FACE !

This morning , Charlie Rose fired from both CBS & PBS ..........
                    When will harassment/assaults in the work place will STOP , it is WRONG........
                    Since last D-23 took place ......... it look like John Lasseter Been out place !
                    and who knows how long this been going on.

Disney going have to bring down the hammer, if this is true.......Geeeeeee

On the New's each and every day , there is some guy with power trip ........
                    I sure glad , I stop admired and looked up to people , because it is a big let down !
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

It is indeed awful. The kind of crap that guys have been pulling on women in the workplace for generations has destroyed the careers and ruined the lives of countless women, and diminished the lives and careers of uncounted others.
                      Inappropriate behavior in the workplace
                      It should make everyone sick!

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by BW1 View Post
                        It's not isolated to males. I've had females in positions of power who were touchy. I'm not thin skinned though and if it isn't holding me back in my career, no need to make a fuss about nothing.
                        Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
                          It's not isolated to males. I've had females in positions of power who were touchy. I'm not thin skinned though and if it isn't holding me back in my career, no need to make a fuss about nothing.
                          Wondered how long it would be before some guy dredged up Whataboutism. Lucky post #13 it is.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Sigh. Well, at least he didn't walk around naked in a bathrobe.
                            This Space For Rent

Comment

He's done. Disney will probably terminate him tomorrow or in the next week since it is the day before Thanksgiving. Charlie Rose, Harvey Weinstein, Jeffrey Tambor, Andy Dick, Kevin Spacey...they have all been terminated or quit before being fired.

The only guy I think who is still working is Jeremy Piven. Not sure if that will last, though.

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
                                If you have a robe on, are you naked or clothed? This is a ponderous question.
                                I think it depends on if it's closed in the front. Hmm..
                                This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Well, I'll say this... your heart's in the right place. Unfortunately, be it animation, live action, government, the business sector -- anywhere there's a hierarchical power structure -- the reality has been that a woman who fights back or speaks up is blackballed. Quickly or slowly, and nearly always in ways she can't combat, she's out. Period.
                                  I hear you, and my punching the guy thing is just my typical way of illustrating what should be the rage that occurs in such an event. Hopefully woman will be encouraged to expose these men early and often. Predators seek out victims whom they feel will not expose them. Powerful men are emboldened by the legal teams and big settlements they are able to procure to silence their victims. If I were a woman working around some of these powerful -- men and after the first instance of bad behavior (including comments), I would wear a hidden recording device; the monetary damage to a company that harbors these jerks would eventually inspire corporations to do a better job policing their own. These types of abuses occur because other people turn a blind eye, or who don't demand strict standards which protect employees.

Comment

Geeee I listening on the news ,now a list of who /who, being read off
                                    from Washington D.C. to Hollywood ,names ......crazy Inappropriate behavior ,in the workplace !
                                    almost funny ....Except, I find it so SICK !
                                    YES John Lasseter name is among them ..........
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X