Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whipland View Post

I hear you, and my punching the guy thing is just my typical way of illustrating what should be the rage that occurs in such an event. Hopefully woman will be encouraged to expose these men early and often. Predators seek out victims whom they feel will not expose them. Powerful men are emboldened by the legal teams and big settlements they are able to procure to silence their victims. If I were a woman working around some of these powerful -- men and after the first instance of bad behavior (including comments), I would wear a hidden recording device; the monetary damage to a company that harbors these jerks would eventually inspire corporations to do a better job policing their own. These types of abuses occur because other people turn a blind eye, or who don't demand strict standards which protect employees.
    Soo.... I'm pretty sure it's illegal to record someone without their consent in CA. Not so in AZ. Take it from someone who's explored the option with HR over overzealous females in positions of power. Just saying.
    Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

John is done at Disney. The Company makes everyone at director level and above sign off that they've read and agreed to the voluminous HR documents about inappropriate behavior in the workplace. These guys not only know better, they sign their names promising they won't engage in this behavior.
      He (John) going out the ONE WAY DOOR !
      Disney can not deal with this type behavior
      and the resultant press....makes all the difference
      Last edited by Eagleman; 11-21-2017, 03:54 PM.
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
        He's done. Disney will probably terminate him tomorrow or in the next week since it is the day before Thanksgiving. Charlie Rose, Harvey Weinstein, Jeffrey Tambor, Andy Dick, Kevin Spacey...they have all been terminated or quit before being fired.

The only guy I think who is still working is Jeremy Piven. Not sure if that will last, though.
        John Conyers and Al Franken are both still working. And I'm sure after their Ethics (let's show the public we mean business!) investigations, everything will be quietly forgotten.

Comment

Women don't need to learn to 'throw punches', we should be able to be safe in our workplace and any other place for that matter. Men* need to learn to keep their hands (and other body parts) to themselves.

*NAMALT
          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post

Soo.... I'm pretty sure it's illegal to record someone without their consent in CA. Not so in AZ. Take it from someone who's explored the option with HR over overzealous females in positions of power. Just saying.
            Good point, and sexual assault and battery are also illegal. I'd be of the mind that male manager who assaulted a female wouldn't none too happy to have a recording of that played in court. But maybe we need to change some laws here in California to make it legal to record somebody who is in the process of committing a felony against you permission or not.

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
            Women don't need to learn to 'throw punches', we should be able to be safe in our workplace and any other place for that matter. Men* need to learn to keep their hands (and other body parts) to themselves.

I agree 100%. And as with everything else, when an abuser decides to not follow what should be, nothing wrong with a woman having the right to defend herself by giving that abuser a smack.

Comment

Good point, and sexual assault and battery are also illegal. I'd be of the mind that male manager who assaulted a female wouldn't none too happy to have a recording of that played in court. But maybe we need to change some laws here in California to make it legal to record somebody who is in the process of committing a felony against you permission or not.

I agree 100%. And as with everything else, when an abuser decides to not follow what should be, nothing wrong with a woman having the right to defend herself by giving that abuser a smack.
              Trust me, if I had physically assaulted any female who placed her hands on me I'd be shown the door in cuffs. Double standard. I feel like Michael Douglas here.
              Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
                He's done. Disney will probably terminate him tomorrow or in the next week since it is the day before Thanksgiving. Charlie Rose, Harvey Weinstein, Jeffrey Tambor, Andy Dick, Kevin Spacey...they have all been terminated or quit before being fired.

The only guy I think who is still working is Jeremy Piven. Not sure if that will last, though.
                They'll do it post-Thanksgiving. Coco w/ Frozen special is debuting this week at the box-office. Disney/Pixar doesn't want embarrassment PR or another Thanksgiving box office bomb (like The Good Dinosaur).

Comment

Male or female, power corrupts.

Comment

John is done at Disney. The Company makes everyone at director level and above sign off that they've read and agreed to the voluminous HR documents about inappropriate behavior in the workplace. These guys not only know better, they sign their names promising they won't engage in this behavior.
                    This

Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

Mr Wiggins, can you tell me what your source is for this information? I'm not doubting it by any means, but I'm curious about the actual policy itself. It's not often that companies (especially large ones) adopt zero-tolerance policies where your first infraction results in termination, but of course I wouldn't be surprised if Disney's standards are much higher. Usually these kinds of infractions can be used as cause for firing, but you don't have to fire someone because of it. Based on this Vanity Fair article, Disney and Pixar Employees Detail Life with John Lasseter: Strip Clubs, Close Hugs, and “Boxers or Briefs?”, it strikes me as unbelievable that HR wouldn't have fired him sooner if a zero-tolerance policy was in place. These stories are abhorrent.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                        Mr Wiggins, can you tell me what your source is for this information? I'm not doubting it by any means, but I'm curious about the actual policy itself. It's not often that companies (especially large ones) adopt zero-tolerance policies where your first infraction results in termination, but of course I wouldn't be surprised if Disney's standards are much higher. Usually these kinds of infractions can be used as cause for firing, but you don't have to fire someone because of it. Based on this Vanity Fair article, Disney and Pixar Employees Detail Life with John Lasseter: Strip Clubs, Close Hugs, and “Boxers or Briefs?”, it strikes me as unbelievable that HR wouldn't have fired him sooner if a zero-tolerance policy was in place. These stories are abhorrent.

While I don't discuss my sources, the Disney Employee Policy Manual has been online for some time. The sections on Employee Conduct and Prohibition of Harassment are particularly relevant in light of the Vanity Fair article, which cites sources that say Disney management knew about John's behavior years ago:

Originally posted by Vanity Fair
                        In March 2010, days after another triumphant Oscar ceremony for Disney’s Pixar Animation Studios, the company’s chief creative officer, John Lasseter, was the subject of a tense phone call among Disney and Pixar executives, one person on the line recently told Vanity Fair. During the conversation, which included Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios president Ed Catmull, Walt Disney Animation Studios production chief Andrew Millstein, Disney corporate communications chief Zenia Mucha, and others, the group discussed Lasseter’s behavior at an Oscar party, where the executive allegedly French kissed and fondled a female Disney employee. (That employee, who is no longer with the company, has not responded to multiple requests for comment.)

“The subject of the phone call was, ‘S**t, what are we going to do about John?,’” one person who was on the call told Vanity Fair. “Lasseter is the crazy-h***y 13-year-old who you have to keep in check all the time. But there’s no No. 2 for John. He’s the beating heart of Disney Animation and Pixar. He’s a genius. Nobody can do what he does.”

...According to interviews with more than 10 current and former Disney and Pixar employees, Lasseter often crossed boundaries with them, particularly when he had been drinking. One former male employee described traveling to a film festival with the executive and being asked to bring him to a strip club. “He’d get dances and point at me to pay for it,” the employee said. “I was supposed to entertain him. It was so uncomfortable. He liked to have a good time. He liked his wine.”

...Female employees describe discomfort with Lasseter’s physical affection, which included close hugs, and kisses on the lips if a woman failed to turn her face in time. “After one of those hugs, we’d joke to each other, ‘Boxers or briefs?’” said one former Pixar employee. At a recording session, she described an encounter that led her to feel strange around her boss. “He leaned into my monitor and whispered into my ear, ‘You look so beautiful, that light in your eyes,’” the former Pixar employee said. “It was the way a lover would talk to you. I remember him touching my back or leg or knee and just feeling . . . ugh. And then we talked about the work.”

...Employees at the Emeryville-based company on Tuesday were reeling from the news, trading gossip, and coming to the realization that the culture has been toxic for several years, the employee said.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-22-2017, 09:32 AM.
                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

Comment

.., it strikes me as unbelievable that HR wouldn't have fired him sooner if a zero-tolerance policy was in place. These stories are abhorrent.
                          Most HR departments are in reality only an extension of 'risk management'-- the legal department. Anyone who believes a corporate HR department exists as a neutral ombudsman representing the interests of all employees equally across the board isn't paying attention. 'Risk management" is exactly what it means, they MANAGE their risk (i.e., exposure to liability). A individual's interests are only weighed against liability exposure. When many companies finally "do the right thing" it is ONLY when they are back against the wall and not because they were inspired to do "the right thing" for it's own sake. In corporate speak "doing the right thing" generally means whatever mitigates their liability and financial damages AFTER THE FACT.

Hopefully that culture will be changing.

Comment

Most HR departments are in reality only an extension of 'risk management'-- the legal department. Anyone who believes a corporate HR department exists as a neutral ombudsman representing the interests of all employees equally across the board isn't paying attention. 'Risk management" is exactly what it means, they MANAGE their risk (i.e., exposure to liability). A individual's interests are only weighed against liability exposure. When many companies finally "do the right thing" it is ONLY when they are back against the wall and not because they were inspired to do "the right thing" for it's own sake. In corporate speak "doing the right thing" generally means whatever mitigates their liability and financial damages AFTER THE FACT.

Hopefully that culture will be changing.
                            Spot on.

In the case of Lasseter's behavior, it appears top management not only knew about it for years, but allowed it to continue. According to the LA Times, "...the behavior was so well known among Pixar staffers that some young women were barred by their superiors from attending meetings with Lasseter."

Seems like Disney and Pixar executives are gonna have a bit of 'splainin' to do.
                            Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-22-2017, 10:14 AM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

John Lasseter , EGO went to far ,and it is another embarrassment for Disney
                              And the company and management , can not continue to go with a blind eye , as well
                              a zero-tolerance policy on Inappropriate behavior ,in the workplace ,must take place .
                              John Lasseter went out the one-way door !
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

There is no way John is coming back. Having him leave as a break was a PR Move for Disney where they look good without big headlines of him being fired. In 6 months he will not be returning. I wonder if this impacts Pixar Pier in any way.

Comment

While I don't discuss my sources, the Disney Employee Policy Manual has been online for some time. The sections on Employee Conduct and Prohibition of Harassment are particularly relevant in light of the Vanity Fair article, which cites sources that say Disney management knew about John's behavior years ago:
                                  I trust your sources, if only based on your past record alone. For what it's worth, the discipline section of the employee handbook only says that the discipline for a violation of these policies may be termination, but it doesn't have to be. That would definitely be in line with Whipland's assertion that Disney's HR department is no different from any other corporate conglomerate. There are some moments where I expect Disney's reputation for being family-friendly to be something that holds it to a higher standard that other companies. It's just a shame they saw this as something they could sweep under the rug because John was worth it, which really is unfortunate. Maybe Disney (and hopefully other companies as well) will revamp their HR department as a result of these actions coming to light. I definitely expect Bob Iger to address this in his next shareholder call. There's no coming back from this for John, though.

P.S.: A Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Micechatters!
                                  Last edited by WaltDisney'sAlec; 11-23-2017, 09:04 AM. Reason: Thanskgiving wishes

Comment

...It's just a shame they saw this as something they could sweep under the rug because John was worth it, which really is unfortunate. Maybe Disney (and hopefully other companies as well) will revamp their HR department as a result of these actions coming to light. I definitely expect Bob Iger to address this in his next shareholder call. There's no coming back from this for John, though.
                                    Exactly. And people shouldn't be surprised if there's also no coming back for those in top Disney management who protected and enabled John all the years that his behavior was a known issue. Anyone who thinks the problem is only about one guy hasn't been paying attention to the cases of sexual abuse that have been exposed in other companies and institutions. Disney's Board of Directors is likely to take a dim view of a management hierarchy that colludes to violate its own policies and threaten the reputation of its uniquely family-friendly brand. Disney's top management, including and especially Bob Iger, are going to have a lot of questions to answer. And that's not even considering the information that could be leaked to the press -- emails, meeting notes, eyewitnesses, video -- or come out during any civil litigation. Stay tuned -- this may be only the beginning of a major Mousequake in Disney's corporate culture.
                                    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-23-2017, 11:55 AM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Major Shareholder's and some Disney's Board of Directors ,are talking about New Leadership overall !
                                      (Even before the ,John Lasseter story ,broke the new 's )
                                      Bob Iger time may be closer to the end !
                                      As Disney family-friendly brand goes........it been going down hill for long , long ,time.
                                      The Mouse Trap is set, in Burbank !

John Lasseter went out the one-way door !
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

This has got to be an absolutely horrible dilemma for TDC.......on one hand, John represents millions, maybe even billions in future revenue. On the other hand,........

I think Mr Wiggins brings up a good point; if this has been going on for any length of time and other execs knew about it and did nothing to stop it, there may very well be a serious housecleaning in the near future.

Comment

Jim Morris (President of Pixar) or Andrew Millstein (President of Disney Animation)could be semi-promoted to fill the void, as well. Or, no replacement is made, and Ed Catmull assumes all duties.

Don't forget John also oversaw Imagineering as 'Principal Creative Adviser'. Granted the position may only be honorary, but if not then, they'll have promote another person.

The next several months could be a nightmare to Iger. Add to the fact, Kevin Feige's (MCU Pres.) contract is up next year AND Iger need to look for a successor for HIS job next year as well.

EDIT: There is some irony, that this is occuring close to Black Friday, as it's been 24 years since the infamous Black Friday Toy Story test real, that nearly canceled the film, which was directed by John.
                                          Last edited by Spongeocto4; 11-24-2017, 07:34 PM. Reason: Added the infamous Black Friday Toy Story Reel

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X