Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Going to Disneyland next week (questions!)

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Disneyland next week (questions!)

Hi Everyone,

I normally don't write topics like this, but seeing how it's been over a full year since I've gone I thought i'd see if the community can keep me up to date on things I should know

This will be the first time I get to see Mission Breakout. Expect a full review from me, both from a re-skin and standalone point of view, if we get the chance to ride it. I'll do my best to be fair and keep an open mind which is why i'm reviewing from two angles. Yeah I know I said I would never ride it but that's before I had a GotG obsessed girlfriend and she matters to me way more than a grudge. Plus, she said if I do it with her she'll go to Florida next year with me to ride the original Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Can't say not to that.

Anyway, let me get to the questions!

1. Is there anything I should know about the new DLRR route? Have the dinosaurs been refurbished?
    2. Will Maxpass make a a dent on how we use fastpass? I haven't been paying much attention to this, so I guess it's my fault.
    3. Are there any cool new sights and sounds I need to see? Space Mountain's back and i'm super excited to see it again.
    4. How are the riverboats? Are they worth doing since the river has been shortened?
    5. New Fantasmic: Yay or nay?

If there's anything else I should know I'd appreciate if you would contribute to this thread anything and everything you'd want to add.

Here's to the best forum, and to the best members, I've ever had the pleasure of working with!!

KA CHOW

Just saw your reply on my Trip Report.

1. Both Primeval World and Grand Canyon were updated and look terrific. My recommendation is to board the train at either TL or TT. Main Street Station and NOS are always the busiest for the train. Once you pass Splash Mountain just keep your eyes open and enjoy.
    2. I have found the MaxPass beneficial. Being able to secure Fast Passes via the phone frees up so much time and allows you to stroll and take in the details of the parks. You'll also have a better chance of getting more rides in during your day.
    3. I particularly like Big Thunder Trail, especially at dusk. The refurb is fantastic.
    4. The riverboats are great as always. They also give a nice leisurely and different view of the new back end of the river.
    5. Can't really say, didn't take the time to see it this trip. Maybe next time.

Enjoy your trip and have a blast.

Comment

I'm looking forward to your review of GotG, and glad to see you're going in with an open mind!

1. I can't remember if the dinos themselves were refurbished, but they definitely brightened up some of the effects and projections to make the scenery a bit more vivid/dynamic.
      2. MaxPass will definitely make a dent in the number of rides you can go on (especially during this time of year) and it's way more convenient. And you get to take home every souvenir photo of you and your girlfriend included in the price! Refer to this thread for more FAQs.
      3. There are projections on Main Street for the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks show and there will be Christmas-versions of various entertainment throughout the parks. The seasonal food offerings are one of my favorite things about Christmastime at Disneyland. I also really liked some of the food at Festival of Holidays in DCA (the reuben potato smash was my favorite).
      4. I always love the riverboat just because it's a way to slow things down and make it feel like I'm not rushing from one ride to the next all day. It couldn't hurt to get a cool perspective of the new scenery, right?
      5. I'm not as big a fan of the new Fantasmic as I was the old one (I wouldn't camp out for F! 2.0), but some of the new things they've done (read: Aladdin scene, projections) are really cool and might be worth seeing at least once.

Comment

1. Is there anything I should know about the new DLRR route? Have the dinosaurs been refurbished?
        There are now projections on the background canvas. No dinosaur updates to my knowledge (haven't gotten to that part of my TR yet).

2. Will Maxpass make a a dent on how we use fastpass? I haven't been paying much attention to this, so I guess it's my fault.
        Yes. MaxPass is a must! You will get in 30%+ more attractions.

3. Are there any cool new sights and sounds I need to see? Space Mountain's back and i'm super excited to see it again.
        I really enjoyed having SM back.

4. How are the riverboats? Are they worth doing since the river has been shortened?
        Wish we had done them last trip, but ran out of time.

5. New Fantasmic: Yay or nay?
        I felt it was better than the previous one, but didn't care for the new pirates portion.

Have fun man!! You can see my thoughts on GOTG in my TR. To summarize, TOT was a suspenseful thrill ride. GOTG is just a party. Totally different experiences. People like parties more than being scared.
        My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report
        My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar
        My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report
        Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report
        World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report
        My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party
        My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club
        My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report
        My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report
        My October, 2011 Trip Report
        My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Mr. P
          WaltDisney'sAlec
          whoever

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer all my questions! Thank you for the responses!! Sounds like you all agree on the MaxPass so i'll be sure to do more research on it and see if we can dish out the extra cash. I can see it being fantastic for travelling guests, as locals will probably not be so inclined to spend the extra money when they go to the parks and just wanna wait in line for a ride or two.

Originally posted by Mr. P View Post
          Just saw your reply on my Trip Report.

1. Both Primeval World and Grand Canyon were updated and look terrific. My recommendation is to board the train at either TL or TT. Main Street Station and NOS are always the busiest for the train. Once you pass Splash Mountain just keep your eyes open and enjoy.
          2. I have found the MaxPass beneficial. Being able to secure Fast Passes via the phone frees up so much time and allows you to stroll and take in the details of the parks. You'll also have a better chance of getting more rides in during your day.
          3. I particularly like Big Thunder Trail, especially at dusk. The refurb is fantastic.
          4. The riverboats are great as always. They also give a nice leisurely and different view of the new back end of the river.
          5. Can't really say, didn't take the time to see it this trip. Maybe next time.

Enjoy your trip and have a blast.
          1. Will do!
          3. I'll be sure to check it out. I don't think my family has ever been interested in Big Thunder Trail so as a huge Disney freak, I'm ashamed I haven't much of a clue in regards to what this even is.

Thank you!

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
          I'm looking forward to your review of GotG, and glad to see you're going in with an open mind!

1. I can't remember if the dinos themselves were refurbished, but they definitely brightened up some of the effects and projections to make the scenery a bit more vivid/dynamic.
          2. MaxPass will definitely make a dent in the number of rides you can go on (especially during this time of year) and it's way more convenient. And you get to take home every souvenir photo of you and your girlfriend included in the price! Refer to this thread for more FAQs.
          3. There are projections on Main Street for the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks show and there will be Christmas-versions of various entertainment throughout the parks. The seasonal food offerings are one of my favorite things about Christmastime at Disneyland. I also really liked some of the food at Festival of Holidays in DCA (the reuben potato smash was my favorite).
          4. I always love the riverboat just because it's a way to slow things down and make it feel like I'm not rushing from one ride to the next all day. It couldn't hurt to get a cool perspective of the new scenery, right?
          5. I'm not as big a fan of the new Fantasmic as I was the old one (I wouldn't camp out for F! 2.0), but some of the new things they've done (read: Aladdin scene, projections) are really cool and might be worth seeing at least once.
          1. Very cool! I'm looking forward to it!
          3. I remember they had the projections for the fireworks last year, i'm so glad they added those affects.
          4. Of course
          5. Sounds good, my girlfriend has only been to DL once (last year) and she didn't really get to see anything, including shows. pfft, Disney amateurs don't know what they're doing

Originally posted by whoever View Post

There are now projections on the background canvas. No dinosaur updates to my knowledge (haven't gotten to that part of my TR yet).

Yes. MaxPass is a must! You will get in 30%+ more attractions.

I really enjoyed having SM back.

Wish we had done them last trip, but ran out of time.

I felt it was better than the previous one, but didn't care for the new pirates portion.

Have fun man!! You can see my thoughts on GOTG in my TR. To summarize, TOT was a suspenseful thrill ride. GOTG is just a party. Totally different experiences. People like parties more than being scared.
          1. Oh that sounds interesting. I hope they didn't change the canvas too much. I'm also wondering why they didn't upgrade the dinosaur animatronics!
          3. This is the most exciting part of the trip for me. I really thought HSM overstayed its welcome, but that's just me.

I really wanna keep an open mind for GOTG but for all i know that could go out the window when I see that industrial trash facility in place of my beloved hotel. But that summary actually might help, so I don't go in with any crazy expectations so thank you
          KA CHOW

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE McQueen View Post
            [
            3. I'll be sure to check it out. I don't think my family has ever been interested in Big Thunder Trail so as a huge Disney freak, I'm ashamed I haven't much of a clue in regards to what this even is.
            The area between Frontierland and Fantasyland.
            3. This is the most exciting part of the trip for me. I really thought HSM overstayed its welcome, but that's just me.
            I hate Ghost Galaxy and Starwars Mountain. Space is so much better.

I really wanna keep an open mind for GOTG but for all i know that could go out the window when I see that industrial trash facility in place of my beloved hotel. But that summary actually might help, so I don't go in with any crazy expectations so thank you
            It's the most hideous thing I've ever seen. The ride experience in NO WAY resembles TOT though. You can see the specifics in my TR, but TOT was suspenseful and did mainly drops. GOTG is flinging you up and down with super short vignettes in between all the hang time. It's a party. They aren't even close to the same type of attraction. AND ITS SO FUGLY!!

Comment

The area between Frontierland and Fantasyland. (1)

I hate Ghost Galaxy and Starwars Mountain. Space is so much better. (2)

It's the most hideous thing I've ever seen. The ride experience in NO WAY resembles TOT though. You can see the specifics in my TR, but TOT was suspenseful and did mainly drops. GOTG is flinging you up and down with super short vignettes in between all the hang time. It's a party. They aren't even close to the same type of attraction. AND ITS SO FUGLY!! (3)
              1. Surely i'll be going over there since they've reopened the path between BTMRR and Fantasy Land, so i'm gonna make a better effort to find it! haha.

2. Agree, 1000 percent.

3. Just saw your review! I have a hunch i'm going to feel pretty similar to how you feel. At least you understand the lobby stuff. I don't watch Marvel so I really wont know what to think about the experience til I do it haha.

Laughable ugly in pictures, I can't imagine it in person.

KA CHOW

Comment

2. It depends how you use FastPass. If your goal is to do as much as you can (ride as many E ticket rides and headliners as you can), I'd say that MaxPass will do all the things that people are saying above.

If you like to walk around, enjoy the sights, and soak in the atmosphere, I'd say that MaxPass doesn't work well. The fact that you can have more than one FastPass reservation at one time will encourage you to sign up for the next FastPass as soon as you can will encourage you to rush from one FastPass to another all day. I don't know if you saw my post on How Many Attractions Should You Be Able to Get In During a Full Day at Disneyland, but using Maxpass during our first visit to Disneyland in over two years (we are local, but choose not to go very often) was worth it cost-wise ($10 per person) for the unlimited photo access, but I really don't agree with how MaxPass makes the Disneyland experience so different between people who know how to use FastPass and those who don't.

While it's true that FastPass users benefit a lot from the system (and from MaxPass), that benefit is at the expense of those who end up waiting longer in the Standby lines. I don't think anyone can dispute that, even if the number of people going through an attraction in one hour stays the same.

The only advice I would give is to space out your next MaxPass/FastPass reservation, so you have time to do other things in between (we like to do shopping, or take photos, or notice interesting details) before rushing to your next reservation.

1, 4, 5. We didn't get to go on the DL Railroad or River boats (you'd think that visiting on a Wednesday in the middle of November would be less crowded than it was), and Fantasmic! wasn't showing that night. However, we decided not to see the holiday fireworks because we wanted to avoid the congestion getting back to the car since the park closed right after the fireworks show.

Comment

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post

While it's true that FastPass users benefit a lot from the system (and from MaxPass), that benefit is at the expense of those who end up waiting longer in the Standby lines. I don't think anyone can dispute that, even if the number of people going through an attraction in one hour stays the same.
                  No expense, those individuals choose to wait in the standby queue. Now.. I tend to think that the current FP or MaxPass experience does push you through a queue too fast to notice a lot of the details these days. Indy specifically has SEVERELY diminished the queue experience.

The only advice I would give is to space out your next MaxPass/FastPass reservation, so you have time to do other things in between (we like to do shopping, or take photos, or notice interesting details) before rushing to your next reservation.
                  You can do both. It's actually much easier with MaxPass because you aren't running all over trying to pull a paper reservation.

Comment

I've done both the Mark Twain and the DLRR since the big changes to the river and tracks. I miss the slightly longer ride on the river and the adventurous feeling of being on the train with just trees and no park, but overall both are still well worth riding. Try to get near the front left side of the Mark Twain to get a good look at most of the changes. We first rode the train at night, which was a bit disappointing compared to the daytime version of the ride.

Comment

Expect next week to be extremely crowded as it's the final week for all (but the Signature+) APs before they're blocked out until the middle of January. This weekend Cast Members will parking three miles away at Angel Stadium. That is always a sign that the resort will be a nightmare.
                      Last edited by Natalie Price; 12-07-2017, 03:36 AM.

Comment

We will be going back this month after being there in the early summer. We actually missed a bit of these too (like the reopening of the river and Max Pass). We got to experience Shanghai Disney not too long ago (which we all loved to death) and excited to be back at our home park again. And yes we plan to try out Max Pass as well as that wasn't there when we were there either.

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE McQueen View Post

1. Surely i'll be going over there since they've reopened the path between BTMRR and Fantasy Land, so i'm gonna make a better effort to find it! haha.

Laughable ugly in pictures, I can't imagine it in person.
                          The path between BTMRR and fantasyland is literally the Big Thunder trail you wont have to look hard.

I actually thought the Guardians tower looked better in person than in pictures, now with that being said it is an absolute tragedy what they did to the beautiful hotel. The ride is actually really fun and a very different experience from TOT I just wish they would have put it in somewhere without taking out TOT.
                          BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

1. Is there anything I should know about the new DLRR route? Have the dinosaurs been refurbished? A couple new effects, I personally like that they didn't change too much. I'm a fan of the classic cheesy old dinos.
                            2. Will Maxpass make a a dent on how we use fastpass? I haven't been paying much attention to this, so I guess it's my fault. Maxpass is so worth the money, IMO. Super worth it. According to my highly accurate and scientific fitbit, we shaved 3-4 miles a day not walking all over the place to get fastpasses. You can get the pass on your phone, then use your physical pass to get in line, if you want to save a little phone battery. The super bright screen leaches a lot of power, but not using your phone in the lines helps that.
                            3. Are there any cool new sights and sounds I need to see? Space Mountain's back and i'm super excited to see it again. I actually like the new GoTG version of ToT. The outside is "different", but the ride is fun, even if I didn't want to admit it. I can't think of anything else. You might want to pay special attention to the attractions that are going away/changing forever over in DCA. Get in one last Cove Bar experience!
                            4. How are the riverboats? Are they worth doing since the river has been shortened? I still like them.
                            5. New Fantasmic: Yay or nay? I enjoyed it, so I'd say yay! I prefer the BB package and the seat cushion they give you!

Comment

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
                              2. It depends how you use FastPass. If your goal is to do as much as you can (ride as many E ticket rides and headliners as you can), I'd say that MaxPass will do all the things that people are saying above.

If you like to walk around, enjoy the sights, and soak in the atmosphere, I'd say that MaxPass doesn't work well. The fact that you can have more than one FastPass reservation at one time will encourage you to sign up for the next FastPass as soon as you can will encourage you to rush from one FastPass to another all day. I don't know if you saw my post on How Many Attractions Should You Be Able to Get In During a Full Day at Disneyland, but using Maxpass during our first visit to Disneyland in over two years (we are local, but choose not to go very often) was worth it cost-wise ($10 per person) for the unlimited photo access, but I really don't agree with how MaxPass makes the Disneyland experience so different between people who know how to use FastPass and those who don't.

1, 4, 5. We didn't get to go on the DL Railroad or River boats (you'd think that visiting on a Wednesday in the middle of November would be less crowded than it was), and Fantasmic! wasn't showing that night. However, we decided not to see the holiday fireworks because we wanted to avoid the congestion getting back to the car since the park closed right after the fireworks show.
                              SpacemanSpiff

Thanks for your input! I don't mind people waiting longer in standby, I never do standby

That's great advice. It's a money saver too. Wouldn't hurt to do a day or two with maxpass, and the others without. We also like to take some time out of the day to relax.

No expense, those individuals choose to wait in the standby queue. Now.. I tend to think that the current FP or MaxPass experience does push you through a queue too fast to notice a lot of the details these days. Indy specifically has SEVERELY diminished the queue experience.

You can do both. It's actually much easier with MaxPass because you aren't running all over trying to pull a paper reservation.
                              whoever

Yeah I was sorta gonna say lol most people who stand in line are locals or newbies, and if newbies don't do their research before they visit they don't get sympathy from me

I wish more rides had queues like Indy. BTMRR and Splash aren't bad, but what the heck is up with Space Mountain on the outside? Just an empty helicopter pad.

Originally posted by javaMom64 View Post
                              I've done both the Mark Twain and the DLRR since the big changes to the river and tracks. I miss the slightly longer ride on the river and the adventurous feeling of being on the train with just trees and no park, but overall both are still well worth riding. Try to get near the front left side of the Mark Twain to get a good look at most of the changes. We first rode the train at night, which was a bit disappointing compared to the daytime version of the ride.
                              javaMom64

Right that's sort of what i'm afraid of (losing that feel of being away from everyone while on the boat or train). But i'm not really going to comment until I try it! Thanks for the advice i'll keep that in mind!

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                              Expect next week to be extremely crowded as it's the final week for all (but the Signature+) APs before they're blocked out until the middle of January. This weekend Cast Members will parking three miles away at Angel Stadium. That is always a sign that the resort will be a nightmare.
                              Natalie Price Don't say that!! I actually picked the second week of December cause I thought it wouldn't be so bad. We were supposed to go this week but my dad had important business meetings that came about right after we planned for it.

Originally posted by Fctiger View Post
                              We will be going back this month after being there in the early summer. We actually missed a bit of these too (like the reopening of the river and Max Pass). We got to experience Shanghai Disney not too long ago (which we all loved to death) and excited to be back at our home park again. And yes we plan to try out Max Pass as well as that wasn't there when we were there either.
                              Fctiger Very cool! I'm glad you enjoyed Shanghai. I'd love to travel to see the other parks, but first things first I need to visit Florida soon.

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
                              The path between BTMRR and fantasyland is literally the Big Thunder trail you wont have to look hard.

I actually thought the Guardians tower looked better in person than in pictures, now with that being said it is an absolute tragedy what they did to the beautiful hotel. The ride is actually really fun and a very different experience from TOT I just wish they would have put it in somewhere without taking out TOT.
                              mickdaddy So it's just a trail? I may have to do a Google search of it and see why it's important.

Interesting analysis of M:B. I'm not sure if i'll be able to appreciate the ride solely because of what it's replaced but we'll see I guess.

Originally posted by JoFi View Post
                              1. Is there anything I should know about the new DLRR route? Have the dinosaurs been refurbished? A couple new effects, I personally like that they didn't change too much. I'm a fan of the classic cheesy old dinos.
                              2. Will Maxpass make a a dent on how we use fastpass? I haven't been paying much attention to this, so I guess it's my fault. Maxpass is so worth the money, IMO. Super worth it. According to my highly accurate and scientific fitbit, we shaved 3-4 miles a day not walking all over the place to get fastpasses. You can get the pass on your phone, then use your physical pass to get in line, if you want to save a little phone battery. The super bright screen leaches a lot of power, but not using your phone in the lines helps that.
                              3. Are there any cool new sights and sounds I need to see? Space Mountain's back and i'm super excited to see it again. I actually like the new GoTG version of ToT. The outside is "different", but the ride is fun, even if I didn't want to admit it. I can't think of anything else. You might want to pay special attention to the attractions that are going away/changing forever over in DCA. Get in one last Cove Bar experience!
                              4. How are the riverboats? Are they worth doing since the river has been shortened? I still like them.
                              5. New Fantasmic: Yay or nay? I enjoyed it, so I'd say yay! I prefer the BB package and the seat cushion they give you!
                              JoFi Hi JoFi! Thank you for answering all these questions!

1. I agree I can always appreciate small changes to the classics at Disneyland, but sometimes wouldn't want more.
                              2. So far everyone is saying it's worth it!
                              3. I'll be spending some time in DCA before everything goes away. I'm still saddened by the ToT loss so either my review will be "wow I was wrong" or "Yup, DCA is dead to me"
                              KA CHOW

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X