Announcement

Collapse

Gumball Rally 2018

Tickets are selling fast! Act now to reserve your spot. http://micechat.com/events/rally
See more
See less

Disneyland refurbishing Main Street Vehicles and Dumbo the Flying Elephant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disneyland refurbishing Main Street Vehicles and Dumbo the Flying Elephant

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...updates-jan-8/

Honestly, it's about time. The streets of Main Street are cracked and in horrible shape. They haven't been able to refurbish it with the constant parades, and now they finally have the chance, and are taking it.
    I really need to make a signature. Something Disney related. Ooh, I know. What about "The 12th Disney Princess?" I like that.

I think these have been on the calendar for a while, but it's good to finally have some specificity about the nature of the refurbishments. I think the last time I remember Main Street being repaved to any extent was in 2011 before the grand re-opening of DCA. I know they added some different color brickwork to the loading station of the streetcar in the town square around that time as well. Still, I can't believe there are still original parts of the horse-drawn streetcar track. Any guesses whether Disney auctions it off as "own an original piece of Disneyland"?

I'm sure the Dumbo changes are a welcomed improvement. People have been itching for some form of a shade structure for the queue ever since they added one to King Arthur Carrousel. I just hope that you'll still be able to wave at the people riding Dumbo while you're in line!

Comment

I always for cleaning , and refurbishing ,the parks ,specially Disneyland park !
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

By late winter do they mean mid-March 2018?

Comment

Does this mean that they'll be putting up temporary construction walls throughout Main St. as they replace the track? Will they have parades during this time?

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post
            By late winter do they mean mid-March 2018?
            That's my guess. They probably want to have this all done before spring break.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
              Does this mean that they'll be putting up temporary construction walls throughout Main St. as they replace the track? Will they have parades during this time?
              No parades. The Christmas Fantasy Parade ends on the 7th, then Pixar Play Parade comes back April 18th. There hasn't been a time in a long while where nothing has been running on Main Street, since we've had Parades almost constantly, and the Main Street Vehicles. Not to mention, the fireworks that have had people crowding on the streets nightly. With the semi-recent construction of the backstage thoroughfares, they now have a way to shuttle people to the lands without using Main Street.

My guess is that the sidewalks will be open, so people can go to the Main Street shops, as well as the east and west backstage paths, but the actual asphalt street part will be closed up. Harkens back to DCA 2011, when we had to go around Soarin' Over California to get in and out of the park.
              I really need to make a signature. Something Disney related. Ooh, I know. What about "The 12th Disney Princess?" I like that.

Comment

I'm so happy they're saving and preserving the original tracks that haven't been replaced before. Presumably they also saved other track that was replaced previously?

Comment

No fireworks and no parades. It will be nice to be able to enjoy the evenings without the crush of crowds saving spots in the hub. I remember evenings in NOS being excellent without Fantasmic.

Comment

Originally posted by wityblack View Post

No parades. The Christmas Fantasy Parade ends on the 7th, then Pixar Play Parade comes back April 18th. There hasn't been a time in a long while where nothing has been running on Main Street, since we've had Parades almost constantly, and the Main Street Vehicles. Not to mention, the fireworks that have had people crowding on the streets nightly. With the semi-recent construction of the backstage thoroughfares, they now have a way to shuttle people to the lands without using Main Street.

My guess is that the sidewalks will be open, so people can go to the Main Street shops, as well as the east and west backstage paths, but the actual asphalt street part will be closed up. Harkens back to DCA 2011, when we had to go around Soarin' Over California to get in and out of the park.
                    I was able to find these old Dateline Disneyland blog posts from 2009 and 2011. It looks like they repaved one half of the street in 2009, and the other half in 2011. You'll notice in the 2011 post that the spot where they were repaving the horse-drawn streetcar track had waist-high boxes over it as opposed to total walls.

This time certainly could be different, as who knows whether they replaced any of the track the last time around in 2011. Hopefully this gives everyone a better picture of what it might be like.

2009 pictures:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	8544533

Name:	2009-2.PNG
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	8544534

Name:	2009-3.PNG
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	8544535

Name:	2009-4.PNG
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	8544536

Name:	2009-5.PNG
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	8544537

2011 pictures:

Name:	2011-1.PNG
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	8544538Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-2.PNG
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	8544539Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-3.PNG
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	8544540Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-4.PNG
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	8544541Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-5.PNG
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	8544542Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-6.PNG
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	8544543Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-7.PNG
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	8544544

There are also more shots from the repaving of the hub in the 2011 post, but I think you "get the picture"

Comment

I expect this will lead to a WDW Magic Kingdom style Hub revamp starting in the Fall with completion just before opening of Galaxy's Edge.

This will remove most of the trees and planters then replace them with astroturf and allow for more fireworks viewing space off the street and sidewalks themselves. The Tomorrowland tombstone rocks will likely go, they'll probably rebuild the entrances to Adventureland and Frontierland. The current reports for new permits at Aladdin's Oasis are likely to allow for moving the famous Dole Whip stand; I wonder if the Oasis is destined to become the permanent stroller parking and the former Tropical Imports to take over the Dole Whip... I suspect Plaza Inn and Jolly Holiday will receive seating changes/reductions or switch to table service at least during dinner hours (Fireworks viewing dinner packages anyone? Dessert party?). Even the Little Red Wagon will need to move to a less congested area.

​Unfortunately this hub retrofit comes at the expense of shade, trees and most of the pretty landscaping. Magic Kingdom is pretty barren now - but I must admit that it is highly functional and less chaotic than the current unpleasant fireworks viewing experience at Disneyland with crowd control yelling, flashlights and rude, inconsiderate guests stopping in front of you when you've waited an hour then getting pissy when they're asked to move through the walkway. They've been quietly removing most of the large hub trees already - the center hub only has 4 large trees left - the rest have been replaced with smaller ones. It happened in a blink of an eye... If we all saw a plan tomorrow that cut down 40+ large trees there would be outrage, so they did it already to blunt the impact.

Disneyland will be easier to convert than WDW which took over a year because it's smaller and doesn't have the utilidors underneath (when you stand on Main Street USA at Magic Kingdom you're actually on the 2nd floor, what a difference about twenty years and hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank makes). WDW received a completely different appearance that is not timeless Americana but instead contemporary modern and I don't expect the same to get to Disneyland.

Unfortunately with Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge being used to increase capacity there are no options other than to make the hub more of a walkway than it is today. The threads regarding second exits won't happen because of the sales power of Main Street USA, but they know if everyone has to shove and push through the even more congested walkways of the hub from SWL they will be too tired and aggravated for a nice souvenir or two from the Emporium on the way out. They really needed to spend the money to do the side corridors "the right way" and make them covered with secondary entrances to the stores like Paris has, then the hub could remain intact. But it's much cheaper to redo the hub.

​​​​

Comment

This is much needed and much welcomed in my book. Sure, it'll be a pain in the butt to navigate during the refurb but its been needed for some time. I would imagine that Main Street is the most difficult realm to plan refurbs for since it's the only thoroughfare in and out of DL. I'll be up there in 2 weeks so I'll get to see it first hand. I'll snap some pics and share when I get back.

Comment

Based on the post, it sounds like only the track is being worked on, and not the whole road. Surprising, that there is some 1955 old track left.

Main Street vehicles would be: the onimbus, the fire engine, the horseless carriage, and 2(?) horse drawn cars. Any confirmation?

Dumbo's queue being changed sounds interesting. I wonder if it will be moved to back of the area, near the photo op.

Comment

Gawd, I hope they don’t go WDW hub at Disneyland. Sounds horrible. :-/
                            Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

Well, I just hope they have both back alley pathways open continuously during the paving! If all they have are the sidewalks and the paths IN the stores it's going to be a nightmare!
                              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Working...
                              X