Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Disneyland refurbishing Main Street Vehicles and Dumbo the Flying Elephant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    I think loosing a bit of the mistique of the trees and additional decor has become a necessary evil due to the crowd levels.

    I do hope they soon figure out a way to keep the side corridors behind the stores open permanently and provide rear access. If done right it would allow traffic to criss cross inside the stores more efficiently increasing retail foot traffic, which is something we all know Corp. wants. Mainstream would still exist but it would be the center of a three streets.

    I also don't think they will need to block off as much as they did during the repaving as when they dd that they left pads on each side of tracks that can be pulled and repaved minimizing the need to repave beyond those small pads.
    Last edited by Starcade; 01-07-2018, 03:53 PM. Reason: Added comment.

    Comment


    • #22
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had it suggested to me that the new track layout on mainstreet was specifically being redone for the benefit of the horses, as the current layout has them making too many of only one type of turn (left or right, I have no clue, hence the reason for this question), and as expected, it's causing them injuries consistently on one side of their body.

      If this is the case, as much as it pains me that we're going to be losing the main street vehicles for a good time, this is a rather fair trade as it likely guarantees that we'll be keeping the horse drawn carriages for the foreseeable future.
      Last edited by SkunkID; 01-07-2018, 07:07 PM.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by SkunkID View Post
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had it suggested to me that the new track layout on mainstreet was specifically being redone for the benefit of the horses, as the current layout has them making too many of only one type of turn (left or right, I have no clue, hence the reason for this question), and as expected, it's causing them injuries consistently on one side of their body.

        If this is the case, as much as it pains me that we're going to be losing the main street vehicles for a good time, this is a rather fair trade as it likely guarantees that we'll be keeping the horse drawn carriages for the foreseeable future.
        I think the idea that Disneyland's horses get injured at all -- much less on one side of their body because of the left turn at the Hub and Town Square -- would come as a surprise to Owen and Dolly Pope and their successors. It sounds like another DL urban legend. Since the Park opened, the horses have been treated with the utmost TLC and never overworked.

        There are many online references to Disneyland's horses, the Popes, and their Circle D Ranch. Here's a recent one: The Horses of Disneyland.
        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

        - Neil Gabler

        "I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
        until Thor told it to me."
        -
        Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
          Does this mean that they'll be putting up temporary construction walls throughout Main St. as they replace the track? Will they have parades during this time?
          If we are only talking about the asphalt street, the entire job can be completed in 24 hours total; which would mean 12 hours for one half/side, then another 12 (2nd day) for the other side.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Whipland View Post

            If we are only talking about the asphalt street, the entire job can be completed in 24 hours total; which would mean 12 hours for one half/side, then another 12 (2nd day) for the other side.
            Paving in Disneyland takes a lot longer, as most of the work is most likely done at night.

            I will point out again, that Disneyland never said they were repaving all of Main Street. They only said they are ripping out and replacing the Trolley tracks in the Street. I get that Disneyland gets a lot of foot traffic(and some cars), but I don't see them doing another massive repaving project, similar to 2011, as the pavement is only 7 years old.

            I can see them repaving some pavement around the tracks and repairing potholes/cracks. There will likely be some barriers/box covering in the street over the construction. I wonder,
            if they will place brick between the track's similar to DCA's trolley.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

              I think the idea that Disneyland's horses get injured at all -- much less on one side of their body because of the left turn at the Hub and Town Square -- would come as a surprise to Owen and Dolly Pope and their successors. It sounds like another DL urban legend. Since the Park opened, the horses have been treated with the utmost TLC and never overworked.
              Exactly. A DL urban legend. Suggesting the horses suffer injuries because they walk in circles is like saying track and field runners get more injuries because they only run counter-clockwise. Silly.

              The only "track layout change" I've heard of is possibly removing the passing tracks at the center of the street--thereby removing two of the four spring switches that can be maintenance-intensive.

              Comment


              • #27
                Both projects are very needed and are being done at a good time as crowds are generally lighter this time of year.
                BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
                  Both projects are very needed and are being done at a good time as crowds are generally lighter this time of year.
                  I AGREE.....this is time to do it !
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                    I think the idea that Disneyland's horses get injured at all -- much less on one side of their body because of the left turn at the Hub and Town Square -- would come as a surprise to Owen and Dolly Pope and their successors. It sounds like another DL urban legend. Since the Park opened, the horses have been treated with the utmost TLC and never overworked.

                    There are many online references to Disneyland's horses, the Popes, and their Circle D Ranch. Here's a recent one: The Horses of Disneyland.

                    Good Disneyland -Circle D Ranch ....History...with Owen and Dolly Pope !

                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Pips View Post
                      I'm disappointed that the park won't look nice for the After Dark party this month. The guests will look nice, but the park won't. Sigh.
                      Yeah, buying a ticket for the After Dark party early was always going to be a pig in a poke. You weren’t going to be able know what parts of the park were going to be down for it. Not quite bait and switch, but certainly less value than you hoped for.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

                        I will point out again, that Disneyland never said they were repaving all of Main Street. They only said they are ripping out and replacing the Trolley tracks in the Street. I get that Disneyland gets a lot of foot traffic(and some cars), but I don't see them doing another massive repaving project, similar to 2011, as the pavement is only 7 years old.
                        Your statement is true however... Are we to expect that Disney will rip-out/replace all the tracks then just patch the areas that need it? I really don't think that will be the case. Like you said the pavement is 7 years old. There is a lot of wear and tear as well as color fading due to the elements. I believe that they'll have to repave Main Street entirely in order to keep the look clean and uniformed. Main Street is the opening of the story and I wouldn't expect Disney to leave it looking poorly.

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Originally posted by Mr. P View Post

                          Your statement is true however... Are we to expect that Disney will rip-out/replace all the tracks then just patch the areas that need it? I really don't think that will be the case. Like you said the pavement is 7 years old. There is a lot of wear and tear as well as color fading due to the elements. I believe that they'll have to repave Main Street entirely in order to keep the look clean and uniformed. Main Street is the opening of the story and I wouldn't expect Disney to leave it looking poorly.
                          You may be right, but WDW's Main Street looks they have paved the tracks seperate in the past(see pic in attached page). So, there is still a possibility, that it might only cover the track's.

                          Slightly off topic, but why have other Disneyland's(Paris and Hong Kong) use brick, while the DL, WDW and Tokyo version's use pavement? Would brick be better suited for DL?
                          Disney uses the sidewalks of the Magic Kingdom as part of their storytelling. The red brick you see when you enter Main Street has a purpose. Walt wanted guests to feel that he had rolled out the ‘red carpet’ for their arrival. Next time you visit the Magic Kingdom, slow down and take a look…

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                            I'm so happy they're saving and preserving the original tracks that haven't been replaced before. Presumably they also saved other track that was replaced previously?
                            Why? There's absolutely nothing unique about all that old metal. It's scrap and nothing more.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                              Why? There's absolutely nothing unique about all that old metal. It's scrap and nothing more.
                              If you only look at the value based on the material it is made of then sure it's not unique, no more than a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth baseball card is just worthless cardboard or the Mona Lisa is just an inexpensive canvas with oil paint on it. Baseball cards or the Mona Lisa aren't worth something because cardboard or paint is expensive.....they are worth something because they are unique by non-material standards. Just as the tracks on Main Street are unique not because iron is expensive, but because they have the distinction of being the only iron in this world that has laid down as track on Main Street, U.S.A in Disneyland, and anyone who owns it can make that claim. So yes, it is unique in that regard. It's a piece of history, not a piece of metal and people find great value in Disneyland history. Sure, track on Main Street isn't really compatible to the Mona Lisa, but your argument is based on elemental value, so I think it's valid.

                              Ultimately you can break anything down to it's elements and find it's value in the rarity of that element like say gold or platinum vs. iron or aluminum. Besides, the value of anything is perceived by what someone is willing to pay for it, not it's material value (look at diamonds for example). As the saying goes, "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Originally posted by chadwpalm View Post

                                If you only look at the value based on the material it is made of then sure it's not unique, no more than a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth baseball card is just worthless cardboard or the Mona Lisa is just an inexpensive canvas with oil paint on it. Baseball cards or the Mona Lisa aren't worth something because cardboard or paint is expensive.....they are worth something because they are unique by non-material standards. Just as the tracks on Main Street are unique not because iron is expensive, but because they have the distinction of being the only iron in this world that has laid down as track on Main Street, U.S.A in Disneyland, and anyone who owns it can make that claim. So yes, it is unique in that regard. It's a piece of history, not a piece of metal and people find great value in Disneyland history. Sure, track on Main Street isn't really compatible to the Mona Lisa, but your argument is based on elemental value, so I think it's valid.

                                Ultimately you can break anything down to it's elements and find it's value in the rarity of that element like say gold or platinum vs. iron or aluminum. Besides, the value of anything is perceived by what someone is willing to pay for it, not it's material value (look at diamonds for example). As the saying goes, "one man's trash is another man's treasure."
                                By this definition is there anything at Disneyland that isn't historic? I guess any used infrastructure in the park should be maintained for posterity.

                                It's true that one man's trash is another man's treasure. If someone is attached to these tracks then they could probably make an offer to Disney to purchase them, but I don't think Disney should bother preserving it.

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Originally posted by chadwpalm View Post

                                  If you only look at the value based on the material it is made of then sure it's not unique, no more than a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth baseball card is just worthless cardboard or the Mona Lisa is just an inexpensive canvas with oil paint on it. Baseball cards or the Mona Lisa aren't worth something because cardboard or paint is expensive.....they are worth something because they are unique by non-material standards. Just as the tracks on Main Street are unique not because iron is expensive, but because they have the distinction of being the only iron in this world that has laid down as track on Main Street, U.S.A in Disneyland, and anyone who owns it can make that claim. So yes, it is unique in that regard. It's a piece of history, not a piece of metal and people find great value in Disneyland history. Sure, track on Main Street isn't really compatible to the Mona Lisa, but your argument is based on elemental value, so I think it's valid.

                                  Ultimately you can break anything down to it's elements and find it's value in the rarity of that element like say gold or platinum vs. iron or aluminum. Besides, the value of anything is perceived by what someone is willing to pay for it, not it's material value (look at diamonds for example). As the saying goes, "one man's trash is another man's treasure."
                                  Disney said the rail would be "preserved," and I think most of know this to be nonsense, if not total BS. As I wrote, it's stock rail with no Disneyland-specific qualities. Now, it's scrap if Disney chooses to "preserve" it. A hand-painted "Disneyland Railroad" sign removed from one of the passenger cars, say, or a brass Lilly Belle door plate are things that have provenance. You know where they came from without anyone having to tell you. If I gave you a 1/4" section of small industrial rail, how would anyone know that came from Disneyland?

                                  There is someone on eBay who is always trying to sell one of the speakers from a Disneyland Railroad car. A non-descript, square, white-painted PA speaker with a round screened opening. It may very well have come from the Disneyland Railroad. But I can't imagine many people dropping the hundreds of dollars he wants and proudly displaying the piece, wires dangling out the back, on their mantle.

                                  The rail may have worth to Disney collectors, much like tiny Christmas lights from the Electrical Parade, but only if it is marketed and sold by Disney. And I suspect most people who own those little light bulbs feel they got taken.
                                  Last edited by Right Down Broadway; 01-12-2018, 01:34 PM.

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                    You may be right, but WDW's Main Street looks they have paved the tracks seperate in the past(see pic in attached page). So, there is still a possibility, that it might only cover the track's.

                                    Slightly off topic, but why have other Disneyland's(Paris and Hong Kong) use brick, while the DL, WDW and Tokyo version's use pavement? Would brick be better suited for DL?
                                    I think they switched to brick as it is better seen by guests and easier for guest control when vehicles are moving. I assume this is why they are switching it out for brick in Disneyland. Clearly showcases the track, and can tell guests to stay off the bricks when vehicles are moving.






                                    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                                    ~

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Originally posted by Disney Analyst View Post

                                      I think they switched to brick as it is better seen by guests and easier for guest control when vehicles are moving. I assume this is why they are switching it out for brick in Disneyland. Clearly showcases the track, and can tell guests to stay off the bricks when vehicles are moving.
                                      I don't think it's any of those. I think (or at least hope) they're doing it because it's more authentic.

                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	3cd213c735149800c9b792f1870a9e54.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	8545040

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post

                                        Disney said the rail would be "preserved,"
                                        The rail may have worth to Disney collectors, much like tiny Christmas lights from the Electrical Parade, but only if it is marketed and sold by Disney. And I suspect most people who own those little light bulbs feel they got taken.
                                        YEP...."I one that got TAKEN"

                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Any pics of the construction yet?

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X