Announcement

Collapse

Gumball Rally 2018

Tickets are selling fast! Act now to reserve your spot. http://micechat.com/events/rally
See more
See less

Disneyland refurbishing Main Street Vehicles and Dumbo the Flying Elephant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

I will point out again, that Disneyland never said they were repaving all of Main Street. They only said they are ripping out and replacing the Trolley tracks in the Street. I get that Disneyland gets a lot of foot traffic(and some cars), but I don't see them doing another massive repaving project, similar to 2011, as the pavement is only 7 years old.
    Your statement is true however... Are we to expect that Disney will rip-out/replace all the tracks then just patch the areas that need it? I really don't think that will be the case. Like you said the pavement is 7 years old. There is a lot of wear and tear as well as color fading due to the elements. I believe that they'll have to repave Main Street entirely in order to keep the look clean and uniformed. Main Street is the opening of the story and I wouldn't expect Disney to leave it looking poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. P View Post

Your statement is true however... Are we to expect that Disney will rip-out/replace all the tracks then just patch the areas that need it? I really don't think that will be the case. Like you said the pavement is 7 years old. There is a lot of wear and tear as well as color fading due to the elements. I believe that they'll have to repave Main Street entirely in order to keep the look clean and uniformed. Main Street is the opening of the story and I wouldn't expect Disney to leave it looking poorly.
      You may be right, but WDW's Main Street looks they have paved the tracks seperate in the past(see pic in attached page). So, there is still a possibility, that it might only cover the track's.

Slightly off topic, but why have other Disneyland's(Paris and Hong Kong) use brick, while the DL, WDW and Tokyo version's use pavement? Would brick be better suited for DL?
      Disney uses the sidewalks of the Magic Kingdom as part of their storytelling. The red brick you see when you enter Main Street has a purpose. Walt wanted guests to feel that he had rolled out the ‘red carpet’ for their arrival. Next time you visit the Magic Kingdom, slow down and take a look…

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
        I'm so happy they're saving and preserving the original tracks that haven't been replaced before. Presumably they also saved other track that was replaced previously?
        Why? There's absolutely nothing unique about all that old metal. It's scrap and nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
          Why? There's absolutely nothing unique about all that old metal. It's scrap and nothing more.
          If you only look at the value based on the material it is made of then sure it's not unique, no more than a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth baseball card is just worthless cardboard or the Mona Lisa is just an inexpensive canvas with oil paint on it. Baseball cards or the Mona Lisa aren't worth something because cardboard or paint is expensive.....they are worth something because they are unique by non-material standards. Just as the tracks on Main Street are unique not because iron is expensive, but because they have the distinction of being the only iron in this world that has laid down as track on Main Street, U.S.A in Disneyland, and anyone who owns it can make that claim. So yes, it is unique in that regard. It's a piece of history, not a piece of metal and people find great value in Disneyland history. Sure, track on Main Street isn't really compatible to the Mona Lisa, but your argument is based on elemental value, so I think it's valid.

Ultimately you can break anything down to it's elements and find it's value in the rarity of that element like say gold or platinum vs. iron or aluminum. Besides, the value of anything is perceived by what someone is willing to pay for it, not it's material value (look at diamonds for example). As the saying goes, "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

Comment

Originally posted by chadwpalm View Post

If you only look at the value based on the material it is made of then sure it's not unique, no more than a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth baseball card is just worthless cardboard or the Mona Lisa is just an inexpensive canvas with oil paint on it. Baseball cards or the Mona Lisa aren't worth something because cardboard or paint is expensive.....they are worth something because they are unique by non-material standards. Just as the tracks on Main Street are unique not because iron is expensive, but because they have the distinction of being the only iron in this world that has laid down as track on Main Street, U.S.A in Disneyland, and anyone who owns it can make that claim. So yes, it is unique in that regard. It's a piece of history, not a piece of metal and people find great value in Disneyland history. Sure, track on Main Street isn't really compatible to the Mona Lisa, but your argument is based on elemental value, so I think it's valid.

Ultimately you can break anything down to it's elements and find it's value in the rarity of that element like say gold or platinum vs. iron or aluminum. Besides, the value of anything is perceived by what someone is willing to pay for it, not it's material value (look at diamonds for example). As the saying goes, "one man's trash is another man's treasure."
            By this definition is there anything at Disneyland that isn't historic? I guess any used infrastructure in the park should be maintained for posterity.

It's true that one man's trash is another man's treasure. If someone is attached to these tracks then they could probably make an offer to Disney to purchase them, but I don't think Disney should bother preserving it.

Comment

Originally posted by chadwpalm View Post

Disney said the rail would be "preserved," and I think most of know this to be nonsense, if not total BS. As I wrote, it's stock rail with no Disneyland-specific qualities. Now, it's scrap if Disney chooses to "preserve" it. A hand-painted "Disneyland Railroad" sign removed from one of the passenger cars, say, or a brass Lilly Belle door plate are things that have provenance. You know where they came from without anyone having to tell you. If I gave you a 1/4" section of small industrial rail, how would anyone know that came from Disneyland?

There is someone on eBay who is always trying to sell one of the speakers from a Disneyland Railroad car. A non-descript, square, white-painted PA speaker with a round screened opening. It may very well have come from the Disneyland Railroad. But I can't imagine many people dropping the hundreds of dollars he wants and proudly displaying the piece, wires dangling out the back, on their mantle.

The rail may have worth to Disney collectors, much like tiny Christmas lights from the Electrical Parade, but only if it is marketed and sold by Disney. And I suspect most people who own those little light bulbs feel they got taken.
              Last edited by Right Down Broadway; 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                You may be right, but WDW's Main Street looks they have paved the tracks seperate in the past(see pic in attached page). So, there is still a possibility, that it might only cover the track's.

Slightly off topic, but why have other Disneyland's(Paris and Hong Kong) use brick, while the DL, WDW and Tokyo version's use pavement? Would brick be better suited for DL?
                I think they switched to brick as it is better seen by guests and easier for guest control when vehicles are moving. I assume this is why they are switching it out for brick in Disneyland. Clearly showcases the track, and can tell guests to stay off the bricks when vehicles are moving.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                ~

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Analyst View Post

I think they switched to brick as it is better seen by guests and easier for guest control when vehicles are moving. I assume this is why they are switching it out for brick in Disneyland. Clearly showcases the track, and can tell guests to stay off the bricks when vehicles are moving.
                  I don't think it's any of those. I think (or at least hope) they're doing it because it's more authentic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3cd213c735149800c9b792f1870a9e54.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	8545040

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post

Disney said the rail would be "preserved,"
                    The rail may have worth to Disney collectors, much like tiny Christmas lights from the Electrical Parade, but only if it is marketed and sold by Disney. And I suspect most people who own those little light bulbs feel they got taken.
                    YEP...."I one that got TAKEN"

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Any pics of the construction yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X