Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Privacy Policy and Terms of Use

Please review MiceChat's updated Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. Links are provided at the bottom of the page. Thank you.
2 of 2 < >

MiceChat Forums Retheme

Hello Folks,

Delayed, due to unforeseen circumstances our presentation of "MiceChat Forum Makeover" has been delayed till next weekend.

MiceChat Forums will be going through a design change and much needed update. This update will give a more modern look as well as bring in mobile viewing options. So you may see the forums looking strange as we implement the new look.

Thank you all, and happy MiceChatting!
See more
See less

Are the Days for the Monorail Limited? (along with the Florida Disney Monorails)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll hazard a guess that the Disneyland Monorail will be around for at least the next 10 to 15 years in one form or another. But I would not be surprised to see the monorail removed from Tomorrowland in an eventual makeover of that land.

Comment

All attractions will close eventually.

I don't see the California monorail closing soon, though. The trains have been replaced somewhat recently, though they aren't super new. In California, the monorail is an attraction as much as it is transportation.

Florida i think will be losing it soon. I think new trains are needed in the next 2 to 3 years for any hope of longevity. I think the Epcot loop would be more likely to close, as the Magic Kingdom line is doing a little better, and isn't next to the Skyliner project. Florida clearly does not care about the state of its monorails.
      RIP Maliboomer - I waited my whole life to that point, and got to ride you once. I will forever miss you.

Comment

The Monorail will be closed but the tracks will remain.

On Micechat, "Bring back the Monorail" threads will be started on a regular basis.

Comment

I think the Monorail is done as it was originally conceived. It's not going to be the mass transit of the future. However, at Disney, the monorail is a historical symbol, adds ride capacity, and in some locations provides a useful transportation service. When all those things are considered, I think the monorail will be around for many more years - just don't expect that the system will ever be expanded.

Comment

Unless they all become rethemed to Guardians of the Galaxy - Monorail: Breakdown?

(if so, add a stop in DCA marvel land please!)

Comment

To shortsided corporate types who like being penny pinchers - I can see them wanting to shut it down, and a lot of other things.
              To people who believe in progress, and don't get dragged down into temporary lulls society gets trapped in ..... They'd say - Monorails are here to stay! And receive improvements by some stage!
              MY SIGNATURE:
              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Not that it offers any legally-enforceable protection, but don't forget that the Disneyland monorail is also an American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark.

Comment

Originally posted by TN Country Boy View Post
                  I recently rode the monorail for the first time in ~20 years. I was expecting great views overlooking DCA however what I got was the views of the backside of the buildings (I had not been to DCA yet). It was more fun swooshing over the old parking lot. I was VERY disappointed, why have a ride without good views?
                  I feel they greatly missed an opportunity to have the monorail give a small tour of DCA like the Florida version does with EPCOT.
                  BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

I do like the Monorail WDW for EPCOT CENTER
                    It a true transportation line ,and like how it speed to the park !
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                      Not that it offers any legally-enforceable protection, but don't forget that the Disneyland monorail is also an American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark.
                      That True......
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post
                        If they ever do get rid of the Monorail 🚝 I hope they leave the tracks up indefinitely to remind us of what used to be.
                        Ala PeopleMover?
                        Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

It would be a lot of work, but it would be great if they would really upgrade the DL Monorail to be higher capacity and use it for more than jaunts to/from DTD and the hotel(s). I think Walt would be very disappointed to see that the DL Monorail had not been expanded to cover a lot more territory, for so long.
                          Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

Ala PeopleMover?
                            Bingo!

Comment

It would be a lot of work, but it would be great if they would really upgrade the DL Monorail to be higher capacity and use it for more than jaunts to/from DTD and the hotel(s). I think Walt would be very disappointed to see that the DL Monorail had not been expanded to cover a lot more territory, for so long.
                              One issue is $$$$. Any expansion will cost an astronomical amount of money to put new track and build new cars.

Another issue is the monorail is no longer seen as, the current trains of the future are bullet and high speed trains.

And finally, TDA nearly botched the Mark VIIs, with its' orignal infamous window design(with the windows only propped foward an inch or two, and causing the monorail cabins to overheat). If they do expand, they better have right knowledgeable team in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                And finally, TDA nearly botched the Mark VIIs, with its' orignal infamous window design(with the windows only propped foward an inch or two, and causing the monorail cabins to overheat). If they do expand, they better have right knowledgeable team in charge.
                                Yep. That, or call Bob Gurr -- which is what they should have done in the first place with the Mark VIIs.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                                Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                                imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                                until Thor told it to me."
                                -
                                Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

One issue is $$$$. Any expansion will cost an astronomical amount of money to put new track and build new cars.
                                  Well, right. I meant lots of work and money, naturally. Disney could easily afford it, but it's not a priority. It's just something some of us fans would like to have.

Another issue is the monorail is no longer seen as, the current trains of the future are bullet and high speed trains.
                                  I don't think that the Disneyland Monorail was ever intended to be the train of the future, so much as the local train of the future. It and the PeopleMover somewhat competed in that same space.

And finally, TDA nearly botched the Mark VIIs, with its' original infamous window design(with the windows only propped forward an inch or two, and causing the monorail cabins to overheat). If they do expand, they better have right knowledgeable team in charge.
                                  Not to mention how they botched the actual structural design, causing the front end of the first test Mk VII to collide with the track when rounding a curve. Not even coming close to figuring out the necessary clearances is just bad engineering.
                                  Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

The only way to make the Monorail financially viable is to scrap the custom system they have now and go with an off-the-shelf system. They would then have to expand it resort-wide and charge for it. Is that what we really want?

Comment

I don't think that the Disneyland Monorail was ever intended to be the train of the future, so much as the local train of the future.
                                      That's not the way Walt saw it.

From the 1969 edition of Walt Disney’s Disneyland by Mary Sklar:

Early in the planning for Disneyland, Walt Disney expressed interest in a “train of the future” for Tomorrowland. In 1957, following a visit to Cologne, German, the engineering staff recommended a design that appeared to offer the best prospects for economy, stability and all-around practicability, not only for Disneyland but for municipal transportation in general. Within two years Disneyland had become the first “city” in America to introduce a passenger-carrying monorail operating on a daily schedule....

In an age when urban transit problems are “cussed and discussed” almost daily, Walt Disney was pioneering once again with a showcase for public examination and enjoyment.

From Disneyland: Inside Story by Randy Bright:

In Cologne, Germany, Joe Fowler and Roger Broggie had seen the real future: a working monorail system that had been developed by the Alweg Corporation. They reported back to Walt that it probably could be built and operated successfully at Disneyland....

Disney saw the monorail system as a sleek, all-electric “Highway in the Sky” that would weave together the most ambitions expansion program in the Park’s young history.

From Industry Week Bloomberg View:

When Walt Disney opened a monorail at his California Disneyland in 1959, he thought it would be the future of mass transit.

From "Disneyland's Tomorrowland was once an ode to a utopian future" in Slate:

Walt Disney—storyteller, visionary, and one of Time’s 20 most influential innovators of the 20th century—saw the future as a wondrous and magical place. He embraced new technology throughout his career....

The forward-thinking entrepreneur and his team of Imagineers continued to tinker with Tomorrowland through the ’50s and ’60s, keeping it not just up-to-date but ahead-of-the-date, one step ahead of the rapidly encroaching future. Tomorrowland addressed all the major scientific advancements of the midcentury as they unfolded: space travel, submarines, the freeway, the monorail, and nuclear power.

From Walt's letter to Richard Nixon, May 9, 1959:

...We would like to take this opportunity to invite you, you family and your mother to be our honored guests on the occasion of the inaugural ceremonies dedicating the start of our fifth year at Disneyland when we will introduce some new and fascinating attractions.

Among these is a replica of the famed Matterhorn, complete with bobsled rides; an adventure with a fleet of eight atomic submarines taking people under water to the world of liquid space and two Alweg Monorail Trains which are a prototype of a rapid transit system which may solve many of the traffic problems of our modern day.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                                      Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                                      imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                                      until Thor told it to me."
                                      -
                                      Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

I
                                        Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

That's not the way Walt saw it.

From the 1969 edition of Walt Disney’s Disneyland by Mary Sklar:

Early in the planning for Disneyland, Walt Disney expressed interest in a “train of the future” for Tomorrowland. In 1957, following a visit to Cologne, German, the engineering staff recommended a design that appeared to offer the best prospects for economy, stability and all-around practicability, not only for Disneyland but for municipal transportation in general. Within two years Disneyland had become the first “city” in America to introduce a passenger-carrying monorail operating on a daily schedule....

In an age when urban transit problems are “cussed and discussed” almost daily, Walt Disney was pioneering once again with a showcase for public examination and enjoyment.

From Disneyland: Inside Story by Randy Bright:

In Cologne, Germany, Joe Fowler and Roger Broggie had seen the real future: a working monorail system that had been developed by the Alweg Corporation. They reported back to Walt that it probably could be built and operated successfully at Disneyland....

Disney saw the monorail system as a sleek, all-electric “Highway in the Sky” that would weave together the most ambitions expansion program in the Park’s young history.

From Industry Week Bloomberg View:

When Walt Disney opened a monorail at his California Disneyland in 1959, he thought it would be the future of mass transit.

From "Disneyland's Tomorrowland was once an ode to a utopian future" in Slate:

Walt Disney—storyteller, visionary, and one of Time’s 20 most influential innovators of the 20th century—saw the future as a wondrous and magical place. He embraced new technology throughout his career....

The forward-thinking entrepreneur and his team of Imagineers continued to tinker with Tomorrowland through the ’50s and ’60s, keeping it not just up-to-date but ahead-of-the-date, one step ahead of the rapidly encroaching future. Tomorrowland addressed all the major scientific advancements of the midcentury as they unfolded: space travel, submarines, the freeway, the monorail, and nuclear power.

From Walt's letter to Richard Nixon, May 9, 1959:

...We would like to take this opportunity to invite you, you family and your mother to be our honored guests on the occasion of the inaugural ceremonies dedicating the start of our fifth year at Disneyland when we will introduce some new and fascinating attractions.

Among these is a replica of the famed Matterhorn, complete with bobsled rides; an adventure with a fleet of eight atomic submarines taking people under water to the world of liquid space and two Alweg Monorail Trains which are a prototype of a rapid transit system which may solve many of the traffic problems of our modern day.

I know ,I was one Hoping for a better future with the MONORAIL.........
                                        I been on them at Disneyland ,Seattle 1962 World Fair, Las Vegas ,and Walt Disney World....

Specially enjoy EPCOT system line...........

I still have Hope, as Walt Disney did being use more as transit system !
                                        Last edited by Eagleman; 01-23-2018, 06:24 PM.
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I apologize if I missed this, but isn't the monorail at WDW still essential to get around, whereas DL's is more of a luxury? I ask this because I've been researching staying offsite at WDW and found that most of the nonDisney hotel shuttles are allowed only as far as the central transportation hub, and then people must monorail from there to the Magic Kingdom. Does anyone know if they have an alternative plan to get people to the park, or if they are planning one? Seems like if they need the monorail, they will need to come to terms with keeping the technology up to date, which could be good news for the one at DL.

Comment

Working...
                                          X