Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Disneyland Books

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disneyland Books

    Hey guys-not sure this is the right forum for this or not, but I am looking for good books to read on Disneyland History or even just Disney history in general. Hoping to find some people have read that they enjoyed. Just looking for some good bedtime nightly reads. Any pointers are appreciated! Thanks!

  • #2
    Great topic! Some of the best are out of print and a bit hard to find, but well worth the effort. Some recommendations from previous MiceChat threads...

    Disneyland Books?

    Disneyland Books

    What are some good Disneyland books?

    Disneyland Coffee Table Books

    Disneyland Book Recommendations?

    A good book on the history of Disneyland?

    Recommend a good book about history of Disneyland?

    What is your favorite Disneyland book?

    Book Review: The Disneyland Book of Lists
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler

    "I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
    until Thor told it to me."
    -
    Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

    Comment


    • #3
      I have nearly 50 books on Disneyland history, and can offer some choices:

      While not a "book," if you can get copies of "the E Ticket" magazine/fanzine, that would be one of your best sources. I believe that you can get them on CD from the Walt Disney Family Museum.

      Other than that, the best books on the Park's history include the following:

      "The Nickel Tour," by Mumford and Gordon;

      "Designing Disney's Theme Parks - The Architecture of Reassurance," edited by Karal Ann marling;

      "Disneyland Inside Story" by Randy Bright. These are heavy on pictures as well. For a straight-out history book, massively footnoted and extensively researched but with fewer photos, "The Disneyland Story" by Sam Gennawey can't be beat. And finally,

      The hardbound souvenir books sold by Disneyland over the years, up through the 45th anniversary one. I find "Disneyland - The First Quarter Century" to be particularly good.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
        I have nearly 50 books on Disneyland history, and can offer some choices:

        While not a "book," if you can get copies of "the E Ticket" magazine/fanzine, that would be one of your best sources. I believe that you can get them on CD from the Walt Disney Family Museum.

        Other than that, the best books on the Park's history include the following:

        "The Nickel Tour," by Mumford and Gordon;

        "Designing Disney's Theme Parks - The Architecture of Reassurance," edited by Karal Ann marling;

        "Disneyland Inside Story" by Randy Bright. These are heavy on pictures as well. For a straight-out history book, massively footnoted and extensively researched but with fewer photos, "The Disneyland Story" by Sam Gennawey can't be beat. And finally,

        The hardbound souvenir books sold by Disneyland over the years, up through the 45th anniversary one. I find "Disneyland - The First Quarter Century" to be particularly good.
        I'm in the same boat and agree with your recommendations (and own them). Additionally, I would recommend the Disneyland Hotel books by Donald Ballard as well. Additionally, I have every one of the Van Eaton Gallery catalogs for Disney/Disneyland auctions. They are a TREASURE TROVE of information.
        My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report
        My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar
        My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report
        Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report
        World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report
        My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party
        My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club
        My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report
        My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report
        My October, 2011 Trip Report
        My October, 2010 Trip Report

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by whoever View Post
          Additionally, I have every one of the Van Eaton Gallery catalogs for Disney/Disneyland auctions. They are a TREASURE TROVE of information.
          Agreed. While not history books per se, they look into the details of that history pretty comprehensively.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am always reading about Disneyland history...and presently one of the books is stunningly good! My library full of materials has not covered as much detail about building the park than...’Three Years in Wonderland: The Disney Brothers, C. V. Wood, and the Making of the Great American Theme Park by Todd James Pierce.‘
            I am in awe of Walt Disney’s perseverance all the more. Hardly an economic motivation...’dreams don’t offer much collateral’...it cost him greatly to get there. (Quit his own company, fractured his families, hocked everything possible including the Studio’s films, got into business with some dirty dealers...lost the land several times, screwed over by various unions during construction, the outright failures of opening day, etc.) No wonder they didn’t have time or money for brass plaques over the entrance tunnels yet.
            sigpic


            "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
            - - Walt Disney

            Comment


            • #7

              Mouse Tales by David Keoing is my favorite book of all time!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DeadKenobi View Post
                Mouse Tales by David Keoing is my favorite book of all time!
                Going to Echo this

                Mouse Tales and its second book are solid reads with some really great stories

                I also got this book for Christmas and its really great if you love the HM
                https://www.amazon.com/Haunted-Mansi...6FK2RND794AAZN
                Happy Halloween!!!

                Comment

                Working...
                X