Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmm, hadn’t noticed that silly troll-talk / “reviews”.

Mind you I am still reading it, but what I did notice, is that ‘Inventing Disneyland’ backs up all the various sources of info from my vast library of books, magazines and articles from a lifetime of research, with exact dates, names and places that round out previously vague stories...like just when and why Walt gave up his beloved Carolwood Pacific Railroad. And why all these art directors from 20thFox were available to work for Walt.

It takes several recent books just to glean the importance of, and reasons for, the Zorro TV series; the secret commercials created on the Disney lot; the hidden history of his various nieces and the significance of their marriages; how it all relates to Hollywood glamour photography of the 1920s, ETC.

My own interviews all contain an element I call ‘myth-making’, a human tendency to tell the stories the way you want them remembered. To claim otherwise is the misnomer. I enjoy the ongoing research.
    sigpic

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

Comment

I just picked up the Nichols book. It's really good. As a total purist and a fan of everything Walt and those who worked by his side, it provides some great photos. Some pictures I have never seen before. The best thing is very little is mentioned about Star Wars Land. It's pushed to the very end with only a couple of pages. Even Indiana Jones and Star Tours get very little air play. It's predominantly vintage. Which is great.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadKenobi View Post
        Mouse Tales by David Keoing is my favorite book of all time!
        Looks like David has an awesome-looking coffee-table book coming out about the folks that created Disneyland in 1955!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...led-disneyland

Comment

I have a lot of DL and WDW books in my collection, but missed out on the Nickel Tour book. Crazy that it goes for $200+ now on places like eBay. I need to pick a copy up at some point!

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post

Looks like David has an awesome-looking coffee-table book coming out about the folks that created Disneyland in 1955!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...led-disneyland

I love this topic. I am so excited about David Koenig's upcoming book. It will be Christmas in August for me when my new book arrives! I, too, have a vast library of Disneyland books. A recent favorite is Eat Like Walt, The Wonderful World of Disney Food by Marcy Carrier Smothers. It is rich in history and trivia and beautiful photos. I just finished reading Three Years in Wonderland by Todd James Pierce and found it very interesting and informative. I learned many new things from this treasure.

Comment

I was fortunate to be able to assist David on a few things with this book, including providing contact information for family members from a couple Club-55'ers. I am looking forward to seeing the stories of their loved ones who were there in 1955.

Comment

Working...
              X