Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more discount for renewing APs: why? What are we missing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
    So on Saturdays, when only the upper level tiers are unblocked, APs cause it to be crowded?
    that's a great question, because all the crowd forecasting sights show Saturdays as being the most crowded. Here's an example of touringplans for this week:

Below are the predicted resort-wide crowd numbers for select days generated by the TouringPlans professional statisticians as measured for the upcoming week. For the access to the full year and per-park crowd level predictions, visit our Crowd Calendar.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4 / 10
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3 / 10
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 5 / 10
    Friday, February 16, 2018 5 / 10
    Saturday, February 17, 2018 8 / 10
    L + L = R

Comment

Originally posted by skoolpsyk View Post

that's a great question, because all the crowd forecasting sights show Saturdays as being the most crowded. Here's an example of touringplans for this week:
      Both Sat and Sun this weekend are blocked out to all passes except the Signatures. I expect it to be very crowded. Will report back after we return.

If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

When people talk about over crowding trends, I think it mostly refers to the unpredictability of the off season. Once upon a time it was easy to find slow, light days in the park. Those days still exist, but seem much more sporadic and hard to predict, and that's a direct result of the local AP explosion.

Saturdays are crowded because they're Saturdays. The difference is that everybody expects them to be busier, so it's not thought of as "over crowding" to the same extent as the odd Thursday in January where you still find yourself tripping over people at every turn.

I think the cloning effect of FastPass plays a role, too, but a secondary one, IMO.

Comment

Which APs were blocked yesterday? I was at DL the past 3 days and Sun was busy, Mon was just as busy until the rain came around 8 and cleared the parks out and yesterday,Tue, it was dead the entire day.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
            Which APs were blocked yesterday? I was at DL the past 3 days and Sun was busy, Mon was just as busy until the rain came around 8 and cleared the parks out and yesterday,Tue, it was dead the entire day.
            Get a Rainy Day AP's
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post
              I wonder if there is anyone out there that actually knows what Disney has in store, who is willing to provide some clues under cover of anonymity?
              Disney make more money.....for Wall Street and it's Shareholder's..........
              IGER....CEO ,gets bigger Bonus in his pocket
              guest experience is down - but it will be more expensive for everyone !
              ......as long there demand ..there is ... Disney will continue doing ,what they been doing.
              There is no anonymity to that ......and Disney does not care.....what I think !
              Last edited by Eagleman; 02-14-2018, 04:20 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by longbeachaztec View Post

Saturdays are crowded because they're Saturdays.
                That's what I would expect too. But around here there has been a lot of narrative pushing that Saturdays are "lovely" and "glorious" because of the lack of APs making the park crowded...

L + L = R

Comment

Originally posted by skoolpsyk View Post

That's what I would expect too. But around here there has been a lot of narrative pushing that Saturdays are "lovely" and "glorious" because of the lack of APs making the park crowded...
                  Really? I sure didn't notice that.
                  Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Saturdays are crowded because they're Saturdays.
                    Exactly. But there are those here who say overcrowding is due to APs. Majority of APs are blocked out on Sats, and it is still crowded. At Christmas, we have the most gate closures, and yet, a very very small percentage of people at the parks are AP holders. There are those who claim all the over crowding issues are AP users, when reality is, it is across all media. Just like they altered the daiy tickets for hoppers and non-hoppers, we will soon see APs getting blocks on hopping.
                    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Just like they altered the daiy tickets for hoppers and non-hoppers, we will soon see APs getting blocks on hopping.
                      I always assumed that "Park Hopper" tickets were just a way to squeeze more money out of guests by adding yet another think to charge for.

I mean, look, if DL or DCA is too crowded, Disney can already block you from entering. How, exactly, is blocking people from moving between parks going to do anything to decrease crowding? If anything, it makes things worse, because then people will feel compelled to stay in a park which is too crowded, because they are not allowed to go to the other one!

I must be missing something obvious, here. If so, can somebody please explain it to me? Thanks!
                      Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post
                        I always assumed that "Park Hopper" tickets were just a way to squeeze more money out of guests by adding yet another think to charge for.

I mean, look, if DL or DCA is too crowded, Disney can already block you from entering. How, exactly, is blocking people from moving between parks going to do anything to decrease crowding? If anything, it makes things worse, because then people will feel compelled to stay in a park which is too crowded, because they are not allowed to go to the other one!

I must be missing something obvious, here. If so, can somebody please explain it to me? Thanks!
                        Nope, you nailed it -- "Park Hopper" tickets are indeed a way to squeeze more money out of guests by adding yet another thing to charge for.

Disney's ludicrous "we care about the guest experience" PR notwithstanding, they only worry about crowding when the crowds are too small. They don't worry about overcrowding -- that's taken care of by the Fire Marshall. Up to the point where the Fire Marshall says "You've reached capacity, no more entries," Disney wants the maximum crowds they can get, 365 days a year. It gives them higher profits.

From their viewpoint, there is no reason to worry about the "guest experience." Decades of attendance numbers have proven that no matter how frustrating the parking, how crushing the crowds, how long the lines, how expensive the tickets, and how many complaints are voiced online, the customers continue to show up in ever-increasing numbers.

Being purely profit-driven, Disney is not going to reduce crowding to improve the "guest experience" if they don't have to -- and the guests themselves continually prove with their wallets that Disney doesn't have to.
                        Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-14-2018, 10:51 PM.
                        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                        until Thor told it to me."
                        -
                        Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Let's (once again) take a look at what Disney is doing about all this...

“We will be reshaping our Annual Pass program to better manage the guest experience throughout the year, which will help all Disneyland Resort guests have a great visit, particularly as we look forward to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge in 2019.”

Obviously the Annual Pass program is seriously broken and needs to be fixed. And it needs to be fixed in order to manage the guest experience which we all know has suffered because of the overcrowding by APs. How do we know this? Because Disney has to fix the AP program. If APs are not responsible for the overcrowding, why are they changing the program? Well...to make for a better guest experience...DUH!
                          Pontificate all you want about how the overcrowding is NOT caused by APs, but that doesn't change the fact that Disney is overhauling the AP program because it's the only way to try and stop the overcrowding and improve the guest experience.
                          Last edited by Natalie Price; 02-14-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                            Let's (once again) take a look at what Disney is doing about all this...

“We will be reshaping our Annual Pass program to better manage the guest experience throughout the year, which will help all Disneyland Resort guests have a great visit, particularly as we look forward to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge in 2019.”

Obviously the Annual Pass program is seriously broken and needs to be fixed. And it needs to be fixed in order to manage the guest experience which we all know has suffered because of the overcrowding by APs. How do we know this? Because Disney has to fix the AP program. If APs are not responsible for the overcrowding, why are they changing the program? Well...to make for a better guest experience...DUH!
                            Pontificate all you want about how the overcrowding is NOT caused by APs, but that doesn't change the fact that Disney is overhauling the AP program because it's the only way to try and stop the overcrowding and improve the guest experience.
                            But what changes, what parts?? That is the million dollar question. There is no such thing as just an "AP". There are tiers and classes, a huge difference in the customer base, spending patterns and appeals.

I suspect the consumer who purchases a SoCal select vs a Signature Plus or Premier have very different habits and spending patterns.

What Disney does will be interesting to be sure, but to lump the entire program as one monolith ignores how Disney views the different segments/tiers of the program and the clientele they represent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Nope, you nailed it -- "Park Hopper" tickets are indeed a way to squeeze more money out of guests by adding yet another thing to charge for.

Disney's ludicrous "we care about the guest experience" PR notwithstanding, they only worry about crowding when the crowds are too small. They don't worry about overcrowding -- that's taken care of by the Fire Marshall. Up to the point where the Fire Marshall says "You've reached capacity, no more entries," Disney wants the maximum crowds they can get, 365 days a year. It gives them higher profits.

In their minds, they have no reason to worry about the "guest experience." Decades of attendance numbers have proven to them that no matter how frustrating the parking, how crushing the crowds, how long the lines, how expensive the tickets, and how many fans complain online, the customers will continue to come in ever-increasing numbers.
                              RIGHT.....it NOT about guest experience,It's Disney Way make more money !
                              Matter all the complaining - the customers will continue to come in ever-increasing numbers.

Disney PR notwithstanding.........Disneyland, slowing losing Magical Feeling-guest experience is down
                              and Disney do not care !
                              Last edited by Eagleman; 02-14-2018, 10:01 PM.
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                                Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

From their viewpoint, there is no reason to worry about the "guest experience." Decades of attendance numbers have proven that no matter how frustrating the parking, how crushing the crowds, how long the lines, how expensive the tickets, and how many complaints are voiced online, the customers continue to show up in ever-increasing numbers.

Being purely profit-driven, Disney is not going to reduce crowding to improve the "guest experience" if they don't have to -- and the guests themselves continually prove with their wallets that Disney doesn't have to.
                                For the record, I seriously hope Natalie's take on this issue turns out to be right and mine is wrong.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                                Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                                imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                                until Thor told it to me."
                                -
                                Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Exactly. But there are those here who say overcrowding is due to APs. Majority of APs are blocked out on Sats, and it is still crowded. At Christmas, we have the most gate closures, and yet, a very very small percentage of people at the parks are AP holders. There are those who claim all the over crowding issues are AP users, when reality is, it is across all media.
                                  I agree for the most part. Disneyland has always had busy, crowded days. It stands to reason that overall attendance would increase over time as populations and the resort's popularity and accessibility grew.

I do think the way the AP program is managed prioritizes raw attendance over guest satisfaction. It has also indirectly taken options away from the consumer. You used to be able to choose between two types of experiences - longer hours, better weather, fewer closures, and busier crowds vs. short hours, more refurbs, but quieter crowds. Those options don't really exist anymore. But, that's Disney's prerogative.
                                  Last edited by longbeachaztec; 02-15-2018, 05:43 AM.

Comment

I agree for the most part. Disneyland has always had busy, crowded days. It stands to reason that overall attendance would increase over time as populations and the resorts popularity and accesibility grew.
                                    Another thing to look at when blaming the APs for how crowded it is.... This weekend will be exceptionally busy. All 3 resort hotels are sold out, including Friday night.

Comment

Just wanted to add, I am not saying APs don't add to the problem of overcrowding. They do. However, they are not the sole cause. Disneyland is busy because it is Disneyland! Unless APs have booked up the 3 resort hotels (well, I am booked in) for the weekend, they will not be the cause of this weekends crowds.

Comment

Too many people have APs....don't need to offer anything but Payment plans
                                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MouseObsessed View Post

I hate the constant harping on annual pass holders as people who unfairly take up space in the parks without spending money. If annual passports weren't profitable, Disney wouldn't offer them. Disney wants and needs annual pass holders, period. They market to them aggressively, and over the years have added more and more items and activities aimed directly at pass holders (and they added payments, which is clearly to get people to buy annual passes even if they can't afford to pay upfront).
                                          I agree 100% with you.

Originally posted by MouseObsessed View Post

As recently as 7-10 years ago we could go to Disney on a random day in November or February and feel like we had the park to ourselves (I think there were fewer pass holders during the last big recession). I talk to people about how we didn't need a stroller 15 years ago, and they are amazed to think of a park so uncrowded that we could follow toddlers around without them getting crushed. Disney has actively attempted to get annual pass holders, period.
                                          As recently at 3-4 years ago I can remember crowds being vastly different.... even during "summer".

And I have to say, when going through the main gate, for the most part I see tickets not APs (granted I'm seeing very few people, but.... I have gone fairly often).

Comment

Working...
                                          X