Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should APs Remove Discounts and Parkhopping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should APs Remove Discounts and Parkhopping?

I was very satisfied (with the exception of the SoCal Select Pass) to see Disney do significant price increases to their passes. The increases had me thinking, while price is definitely one barrier to help thin out crowds, should discounts be removed from APs? By discounts I mean the benefits offered by the passes:

% off Merchandise
    % off Food
    Free Parking
    Discounted Maxpass Option
    Parkhopping

Does anyone else think that at this point the discounts are unnecessary given the crowds and upcoming Star Wars Land? I'm in favor of seeing them removed. However, maybe the discounts are in place because Disney is aware of how overpriced their food and merch are, the discounts effectively remove a decent amount of the upcharge.

I also think park hopping should not be allowed in annual passes, people should pick one park for the day, but can pay a fee to upgrade that "day" to use their pass as a parkhopper (something like 40-50 dollars).

What are your thoughts?

nope

Comment

Maybe this is not relevant to your question, but I believe that as long as AP’s exist in their current form, they will always have a food and merchandise discount. That is because it allows Disney to know to the penny how much money each and every AP holder spends at the resort, and where they are spending it, and when they are spending it, etc. And while I’ve seen plenty of claims on this site that AP holders generate little spending revenue at the parks, Disney is the only holder of the data, and so far the spending habits of AP’s are not an issue for them (draw whatever conclusions you will.)

Parking and park hopping, on the other hand, could probably be tossed.

Comment

Why discounts? They're already receiving a huge discount by paying chump change every month to hangout at the parks.

Comment

If Disney really wanted to thin the heard, as in creating a true barrier to entry, they would take away the monthly payments. As it is the price increases only work out to a few bucks a month to get an AP (less than $10 I think since I haven't worked it out). Most people will keep up monthly payments, even with that fairly modest price increase, whereas they wouldn't if it were one lump sum. Either have a product worth paying for or don't bother having that product at all. Don't just nickle and dime it to death. If that's the goal then scrap it and make everything a la cart again.

Comment

It is important to recognize that there are different classes/tiers of AP. To discuss the AP program as a monolith will lead to erroneous conclusions.

There is often a big difference in the type of customer that purchases a Signature Plus AP vs a SoCal select. Their purposes and value to Disney are very different. Total Annual spend for Signature Plus passholders is in rarefied air amongst most Disney customers. They also make up the smallest segment of passholders from what I understand around 3-5%.

It is why that pass contains the full range of benefits, you have to make it attractive to the buyer. The buyer of a Sig+ and what they mean to the bottom line is known to Disney. I'm quite sure Disney would be happy if all passholders upgraded to Sig+. From a Total Annual Spend, I'm sure DIsney would LOVE if EVERY guest could only enter with a Sig+ rather than a "cheap" day ticket. However, every ticket tier and pass level has a purpose for a place and time. Disney parlays them to their needs, those needs are not static and will be "reshaped" as needed. Some things will come and go, but it is tailored to maximize profit.

"Reshaping" isn't elimination. I think many might be quite surprised when what happens is revealed, especially at the most elite tier.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesboy43 View Post
              I was very satisfied (with the exception of the SoCal Select Pass) to see Disney do significant price increases to their passes. The increases had me thinking, while price is definitely one barrier to help thin out crowds, should discounts be removed from APs? By discounts I mean the benefits offered by the passes:

% off Merchandise
              % off Food
              Free Parking
              Discounted Maxpass Option
              Parkhopping

Does anyone else think that at this point the discounts are unnecessary given the crowds and upcoming Star Wars Land? I'm in favor of seeing them removed. However, maybe the discounts are in place because Disney is aware of how overpriced their food and merch are, the discounts effectively remove a decent amount of the upcharge.

I also think park hopping should not be allowed in annual passes, people should pick one park for the day, but can pay a fee to upgrade that "day" to use their pass as a parkhopper (something like 40-50 dollars).

What are your thoughts?
              I doubt they will remove it from the top 3 passes. They like seeing how much we spend. They track it and that was why they raised the % off merchandise. It wasn't that long ago that only Premium got 10% off merchandise, and deluxe and below got nothing. Then one Christmas season, they upped it "temporarily" to 20% for premium and 10% for the other passes. They must have seen an uptake in sales because they kept it. Disney does what they see is an improvement for their bottom line.

I can see the park hopping breaking down in the near future. They will probably change something by summer to test it out. May wait til Christmas. Free Parking is only on the top passes unless you are grandfathered in.
              If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

They won’t eliminate discounts for food or merchandise. The discounts are nominal and encourage passholders to purchase more, so they are a net gain for Disney. Besides, as previously pointed out, they allow Disney to track spending patterns.

If Disney eliminated parking benefits, a lot of people would drop their Sig and Sig+ passes. If they do that, it’s a sign that they truly wanted to cut down on passholders.
                Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

No. Park hopping is a very good release valve for overcrowding at Disneyland. Disney is not going to eliminate the mechanism by which guests can stay on Disney property, enjoy themselves and keep spending money, when Disneyland gets too crowded or they've already made the rounds at Disney and need somewhere else to go during their Disney vacation. As for discounts, those are just a hook to get those 'cheap' pass holders to make more purchases at the parks, so those are also going nowhere. As for parking, it's definitely not free. It is included with only the mega-expensive, top-tier pass.
                  Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

I don't think there's any hate in this thread. Discussion and debate does not equal hate. (ha!)

I echo the sentiment of others in that I don't think discounts and parkhopping should be removed. Discounts only pad Disney's bottom line (since it encourages greater purchasing), and parkhopping not only evens out the crowds (in an ideal situation), but is also a cardinal benefit of the pass.

Parking, however, can go away. At least until the structures are built.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                      Why discounts? They're already receiving a huge discount by paying chump change every month to hangout at the parks.
                      Wouldnt necessarily call it chump change x 5 people in my family

Comment

I haven’t given Disney money for parking in at least a decade. Just park on neighborhood streets off site. Most of them are equally close or closer than Mickey and Friends.

Comment

Originally posted by SFMMGeek27 View Post
                          I haven’t given Disney money for parking in at least a decade. Just park on neighborhood streets off site. Most of them are equally close or closer than Mickey and Friends.
                          I bet the people that live around the park love that!
                          BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Actually, the neighborhoods have "Parking by Permit only" and they regularly tow those without permits. You need to go about 6 blocks to find non-permit parking areas.
                            If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

I wouldn't put it past them to nix those perks on the So Cal passes. Never on the Sig or Sig+. The Deluxe? Not so sure. That one could go either way.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

AS of others have said, every benefit that comes with a pass usually is to help persuade one to spend money in the parks. Why do Cast Members get discounts? Same reasons.

Comment

I guess many people forgot that Annual Passes use to not have any discounts years ago...except for the Premium Pass. It wouldn't be that difficult a move for Disney to get rid of discounts.

Comment

Originally posted by reswob View Post
                                    I guess many people forgot that Annual Passes use to not have any discounts years ago...except for the Premium Pass. It wouldn't be that difficult a move for Disney to get rid of discounts.
                                    They use discounts to track purchases. Why would they get rid of them?
                                    Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by reswob View Post
                                      I agree with YOU !.........Premium Pass was one that use to have......
                                      I even recall when Disney only had one AP........

That were have Issue with Disney ,Today
                                      They have to many Product in the AP's / or over flood!
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Working...
                                      X