Favourite Off Property Hotels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Off Property Hotels?

Hi everyone! I'm sure this post has been done many times but I'm pretty new to Micechat.

My family is heading to the parks September 10th-15th, and while we debated staying at the Disneyland Hotel, we can't all justify spending that much. We've been trying to find off-property/good neighbour hotels that are a short walking distance, but also decently nice (we stayed at the one right across the street from the main gates last time - I think it was a Best Western - and it was not exactly luxurious). We've also stayed at the Howard Johnson which we liked, but I recall it being a bit further than others.

What are some of your go-to's or recommendations? We're currently looking at the Sheraton (which we've also stayed at before and liked as I remember, but that was 8-9 years ago) or the Fairmont Inn, but open to any and all suggestions. Thank you in advance, and sorry if this type of post is way overdone!

There is a really nice new Staybridge Suit that just opened on Harbor which would be a great option and within walking distance.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

We used to swear by the HOJO, but it has really been overpriced over the last number of years. We have started staying at the Park Vue Inn. It's clean, has a nice breakfast and is literally steps from the front gate.

I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

I'm a fan of the Camelot. It's not flashy, but it's clean, quiet, it's got a pool & hot tub and has a great view of the fireworks. Best of all, one of the closest locations to the park and surrounded by restaurants.

Comment

You have to sit down and prioritize your lodging expectations: noise factor, age of lodging, cotton count on sheets and towels, parking, elevators, carpets on floor, comforters or blankets, how many stories.....and if their is a guarantee of luxury. .

Comment

Park Vue Inn and the Hotel Indigo.
            Last edited by tarheelalum; 03-13-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I really like the Courtyard Marriott on Harbor. It may be a little more pricey than the others listed above, but it has a water park and that's cool. It's also a very short walk to the park entrance.

Comment

Stayed at the following on Harbor over the past 4 years - Fairfield Inn, Camelot, Best Western Park Place, Park Vue. The clear winner for combination of price, location and general accommodations/cleanliness is Camelot Inn. The price is usually $50-$80 cheaper per night than Fairfield and less crowded, Again it totally depends on your expectations, We only really require a clean place to sleep/bath and to be close enough to the parks for our kids to walk. Every place will charge you to park and those free breakfasts at some of those places are usually pretty crappy. Camelot is our go to place. However if and when they ever get around to demolishing the old Carousel Inn next door, the noise would probably keep us away.

Comment

I like the Howard Johnson because it has interior corridors and is usually less noisy than some of the motels. It seems like when the hallways are outdoors then there will inevitably be someone who walks or runs by talking very loudly.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
                    I like the Howard Johnson because it has interior corridors and is usually less noisy than some of the motels. It seems like when the hallways are outdoors then there will inevitably be someone who walks or runs by talking very loudly.
                    I find getting a top floor room also helps. Those excited little kids jumping into or out of bed in the rooms above can rattle you awake.

Comment

Originally posted by hbdad View Post
                      I really like the Courtyard Marriott on Harbor. It may be a little more pricey than the others listed above, but it has a water park and that's cool. It's also a very short walk to the park entrance.
                      That's a great hotel for the location and waterpark. The Springhill Suites on Katella and Harbor is nice. Also the new Residence Inn on Katella is also great. Both include a hot breakfast buffet and are a very convenient walk to the park as well as having decent fireworks views at night if you don't want to wait it out in the park. The CVS right below the Springhill is a nice to have as well.

Comment

Thanks so much for the responses everyone!

Comment

I haven't visited for a few years but I liked the Desert Inn.

The rooms were clean and fairly quiet and you could watch the fireworks from the rooftop.

When I used to visit, it was me (50-ish single guy) my daughter (early teens) and several of her friends. The room we got was perfect for us, it had a normal room plus a small room with a hide-a-bed. The girls had their privacy and I had mine, it really worked out well.

About a 6 or 7 minute walk to the turnstiles.

The HOJO was more classy but a bit more $$$ and a bit longer of a walk.

Comment

Originally posted by hbdad View Post
                            I second the courtyard, the rooms are spacious, its nice and still feels new, excellent waterpark and within walking distance. Worth every penny, we are staying there in september for the first week of our holiday

Comment

I think if you plan on spending time at your hotel and take advantage of the amenities, then Disneyland hotel is worth it. If you plan on being on the go and just need a place to sleep and clean up at, then go with a cheaper place. Growing up in the 80's/90's, my family would take week long trips once a year and we'd stay at the Disneyland Hotel, and it was fun exploring the grounds (pre-Downtown Disney). Now that I have my own family, we take shorter trips and and spend most of the time in the parks, so I usually stay off site.

I've stayed at the following places along S. Harbor:
                              - Hotel Menage (Now Four Points by Sheraton)... The walk to the parks was LONG, but didn't have kids back then.
                              - Howard Johnson... Stayed here years ago before kids, another long walk.
                              - Tropicana Inn & Suites... Nothing special, close walk to the parks.
                              - Del Sol Inn... Just like above
                              - Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn... Again, close walk, but nothing special.
                              - Candy Cane Inn... Stayed here most recently and will most likely be my go to. It's clean, free parking, laundry, they have their own shuttle (the walk isn't too bad), and good breakfast selection.

Comment

For the Menage/Four Points, I find the walk isn't that long, but you cross the freeway which can be unnerving for some. You are directly across from the TDA building and train shed, so I like waving to the backstage area on the walk over. Also, a quiet 24hour hot tub available, uncrowded (until now, right?).

Comment

My favs are the DoubleTree and the Embassy. If you stay in the 6th or 7th floor of the DT facing North you get an amazing view of the fireworks. Last summer I was in the pool and spa at night when they went off. It was awesome. The Doubletree's pool is also nice since it is elevated above ground level on a terrace. Doubletree's beds and pillows are also really comfy.

Embassy is a little farther away but has a super tall tower (for Anaheim) and is all suites. The rooms aren't quite as nice as DT's, but they have a huge atrium with rocks and waterfalls and free breakfast and happy hour every day.

Comment

HOJO and Camelot Inn & Suites

Enjoyed my stay at both of those hotels.
                                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I have been wondering this as well. Which is the best for kids younger than Age 10?

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                        I have been wondering this as well. Which is the best for kids younger than Age 10?
                                        I know I'm the other one looking for advice, but even though the walk is a bit longer the HoJo could be fun with the waterpark. Also, we stayed at Paradise Pier for the last half of our stay 2 years ago and the pool/slide would be fun for kids and the hotel itself is fun even though it's pricier than the off-properties!

Comment

Working...
                                        X