Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jessie's Critter Carousel, Señor Buzz Churros, and more Pixar Pier...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Jessie's Critter Carousel, Señor Buzz Churros, and more Pixar Pier...

Disney is finally releasing some information about what the new Pixar Pier reskin of the carousel and various restaurant windows will be called. In my opinion, these ideas feel... half-baked. The execution feels weak even if tie-ins are accurate (not sure how Coco was passed over for Señor Buzz Churros, though). I reserved judgment for most of the retheme. Lamplight Lounge and the Incredicoaster seem like improvements, but the food and carousel changes are so disappointing I doubt I'll be spending much time there. I like the critter designs for the carousel, but the overall structure should have been updated more. The Poultry Palace meal is from a Toy Story short that I never saw, so I doubt it will ring a bell with many others. It just reminds me of the fried chicken stall from Roller Coaster Tycoon. Not sure what happened with this part of Pixar Pier, but it's clear either WDI or TDA's attention/resources were elsewhere.

Transformation Around Every Corner at Pixar Pier with Jessie’s Critter Carousel and More

Jessie’s Critter Carousel Rendering

Fried Chicken Stall from Roller Coaster Tycoon:

Yeesh. Talk about sc the bottom of the creative barrel.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
    until Thor told it to me."
    -
    Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony
    narrated by Chris Hemsworth

Comment

Hmmm.... The carousel. The theme of the carousel was NOT the problem, it was the execution of the theme (I'm looking at you King Triton with your creepy stare painted on a STUCCO wall). I like Jesse, and if this were a new carousel, I'd think it was a cute idea. However, while the concept art isn't precise, it looks like it will still be the same concrete, stucco, cheap-o carousel that we already have. This is a move sideways, not up. And frankly, I'm going to miss the sparkly sea creatures.

Like the majority of the rest of the Pixar Pier changes, I'm just left scratching my head. I don't get it.

FWIW, the short that the chicken meal thing comes from is funny and includes a menu with silly fast food names. However, that giant food bag thing looks like it was beamed in from DCA 1.0. What a ridiculous, over the top mess! This does not give me a sense of time or place. It gives me visual heartburn.

DL Trips: '78, '84, '89, '90, '91, '96, '03, '06, '07(x2), '08, '10(x2), '12, '14, '15, '16
      DW Trips: '08
      International parks: Some day...

Comment

Those food areas seem just awful. Pushing the boundaries of taste for sure.
        BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Somehow the term,"Lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.
          My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

How long before some of these get re-themed to something else? That chicken happy meal thing looks awful.

I'm not generally one to gripe about IPs, but it's execution like this that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

Seems like the designers of DCA 1.0 are back...

Comment

The Poultry Palace seems odd because the happy meal box is not used anywhere else in the park and I don't think the PP in the short uses this architecture either?

I am really shocked they didn't put in a Pizza Planet? In their IP/food fantasy how did this not happen?
                Last edited by Starcade; 03-14-2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I was wondering why the carousel won't debut until a year after the rest of this mess. It's bad enough to have this cheap overlay done in the first place, but then to not even have it all done at once. Lame.

Comment

The old carousel was beautiful. It was just crammed into a hideous, awkward little concrete corner. It should have been on the water, right outside Little Mermaid.
                    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                      The Poultry Palace seems odd because the happy meal box is not used anywhere else in the park and I don't think the PP in the short uses this architecture either?

I am really shocked they did put in a Pizza Planet? In their IP/food fantasy how did this not happen?
                      Now that's an idea that would actually make sense! The pizza place by the beer garden could be rethemed to pizza planet. Next to it would be a dark ride where you ride in the pizza planet truck through a "pixar medley" of scenes from pixar movies where the truck shows up. (a time traveling truck can be explained as why they ALWAYS deliver on time. LOL)

Comment

Wow. Some of what they are doing with Pixar pier seems pretty cool and I like the new design for the carrousel, but the food locations definitely look like they'll be straight out of DCA 1.0, bad puns and all.
                        Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                          Yeesh. Talk about sc the bottom of the creative barrel.
                          "GOT TO BE A JOKE "- the concept is from food stall from Roller Coaster Tycoon........(((())))..........
                          Looks Awful-Bob Chapek , way overboard on CHEAP.......Now presenting more Garbage ! ! !
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I can't wrap my head around any of this.

I have no doubt that the execution will be beautiful, in true Disney style, but the concept is just not there for me. There's no cohesion. The name of the area lends itself to the life of a dumping ground of any IP that Pixar has spit out or will spit out in the future, yet Mickey's face is still on the Fun Wheel. (Don't get me wrong, I'd flip if they took him down.)

So far, there's nothing I've seen in any concept art that will actually improve the pier.

Why do this when there are attractions like Jumpin' Jellyfish and the Golden Zephyr that could sorely use theming or replacing? I'm just glad they're not touching the Silly Symphony Swings... yet.
                            "On these magic shores children at play are for ever beaching their coracles..."
                            J.M. Barrie

Comment

Pixar PIER
                              Garbage, trash, rubbish, and/or refuse waste !!
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Waste of resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                                  Waste of resources.

Pixar PIER
                                  waste - are unwanted or unusable materials

Waste is any substance which is discarded after primary use,
                                  or it is worthless, defective and of no use
                                  !!
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

A sad day in the World of Disney ... a poorly executed plan to rebrand Paradise Pier and the plans to change the auction scene in PotC. 😪

I can only imagine what a future remodel of TL will be! 😭
                                    MY SIGNATURE:
                                    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Should we LAUGH or Should we CRY 😭
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Oh no.... this is not good at all! I have been skeptical about moving away from the Victorian theme for Pixar. However, I remained optimistic until now. The art work makes me cringe. The food areas look like DCA 1.0, BUZZ Churros? Poultry Palace? Angry Dogs and Adorable Snowman? All eyesores, especially the Poultry Place chicken shack as an over sized kids meal. What happened? I feel like I'm missing the joke or is it even supposed to be funny? They spent all that money to redo the pier to victorian from the tacky original theme. Now, it's going back to tacky theme. I just don't get it. The King Triton Carousel was so pretty. They should have just moved it over to the Mermaid. I don't even know what those new creatures are supposed to be. As someone mentioned, why didn't they go with Coco's Curros. We already have enough Buzz in Disneyland.
                                        Last edited by spacejockey; 03-12-2018, 09:05 PM.
                                        Galactic Member

Comment

Working...
                                        X