No announcement yet.

Disneyland Files Permit to Renovate Upper Level of Starcade at Space Mountain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the latest QUALITY changes to TomorrowLand being Pizza Planet...

Now there is money for 5,000 SQUARE FEET of new Que for Space Mountain? A Que that has not changed that much since the opening in 1977?? What has changed now???

We have been told that SWGE will have passengers go from ride vehicle to ride vehicle.

This new Que may take Star Tours passengers to the People Mover to SWGE. Of course the PM would be given a new name.

Okay, so, "Why Not?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sprig View Post
      With the latest QUALITY changes to TomorrowLand being Pizza Planet...

Now there is money for 5,000 SQUARE FEET of new Que for Space Mountain? A Que that has not changed that much since the opening in 1977?? What has changed now???

We have been told that SWGE will have passengers go from ride vehicle to ride vehicle.

This new Que may take Star Tours passengers to the People Mover to SWGE. Of course the PM would be given a new name.

Okay, so, "Why Not?"

Because the cost to not only refurbish the People Mover but build entirely new track to get it from Tomorrowland to SWGE, and have it done in a way that makes thematic sense at all points, is astronomical to the point of being laughable?

Comment

Originally posted by Nirya View Post
        Because the cost to not only refurbish the People Mover but build entirely new track to get it from Tomorrowland to SWGE, and have it done in a way that makes thematic sense at all points, is astronomical to the point of being laughable?
        So, it makes sense to build an additional 5,000 square feet of Que for Space Mountain when only ~750 SF are needed to get the standby line out of the sun, and has not been needed since 1977?

I'd rather have a fast pass for Peter Pan's Flight.

Comment

So, it makes sense to build an additional 5,000 square feet of Que for Space Mountain when only ~750 SF are needed to get the standby line out of the sun, and has not been needed since 1977?

I think it makes perfect sense to shade guests and make the time more enjoyable by plussing an attraction. Even if it is just the queue but Space Mountain has needed this for a while in my opinion.
          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          My company had a special night at the park
          WdW trip report with WWoHP
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

Some future thinking here guys... what if the moving of the queue involves moving the entrance to the downstairs arcade as well and moving away from the left side of the magic eye theater entirely. Could this possibly signal some big things for tomorrowland... Think about the amount of space that the magic eye + pizza port + innoventions buildings take up and what could occur in that much space if the budget is there for another expansion to disneyland? It would also explain why such a low budget overlay was used on pizza port if its something that could be torn down in the future.

Comment

It actually makes a LOT of sense and solves two long-lasting problems. On a busy day, the queue can go as far back as the entry sign to the attraction. Adding 5000 s.f. of queue line keeps it from going out that far and eating into the walking path.

Perhaps for you, on a 95-degree day standing out on that patio isn't a problem, but I for one would be thankful to not have to stand out there for more than a minute. Given the newly extended shade queues for Small World and Dumbo, shade is a long-lasting complaint that Disney is finally addressing and pouring some money into.

Comment

Originally posted by zugzug15 View Post
                Some future thinking here guys... what if the moving of the queue involves moving the entrance to the downstairs arcade as well and moving away from the left side of the magic eye theater entirely. Could this possibly signal some big things for tomorrowland... Think about the amount of space that the magic eye + pizza port + innoventions buildings take up and what could occur in that much space if the budget is there for another expansion to disneyland? It would also explain why such a low budget overlay was used on pizza port if its something that could be torn down in the future.
                This was what I tried to articulate in my earlier reply. They already filed a permit to build stairs "backstage" near Space Mountain. It wasn't clear if this was for construction access, emergency exits, or just labelled as "backstage" because that's what it is currently, only to be made on-stage later. ADA-compliance still goes through the Space Mountain exit, so it wouldn't be totally farfetched to have people use the old escalators (or replace them with stairs) to load two different lines (Standby and Fastpass). I'm not sure they'll tear down the Carousel Theatre (I still want them to turn it into a giant revolving restaurant!), but the space between Pizza Port and the Magic Eye Theatre should definitely be reworked.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

The original Space Mountain radio chatter and ambient sounds should be the template for Tomorrowland. It gives the perfect feeling of spooky mystery that are perfect for the theme. Enough of the punny kitschy stuff.
                  Co Foo
                  Agreed!

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post

Unfortunately the sights and sounds of Space Mountain will change next month when Hyperspace Mountain returns. How long this time? At least until September and after that, who knows?
                  DLHMFAN
                  What do you mean? I thought it was only supposed to be there for one night or so. Gives Disney an excuse to charge more money for the, ehem, smart investors who buy a ticket to these one-night events.
                  KA CHOW

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE McQueen View Post

Co Foo
                    Agreed!

DLHMFAN
                    What do you mean? I thought it was only supposed to be there for one night or so. Gives Disney an excuse to charge more money for the, ehem, smart investors who buy a ticket to these one-night events.
                    I'm hoping it's for one night, but knowing Disney, Hyperspace Mountain will be here to stay until September 8th or so for Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy overlay.

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post

I'm hoping it's for one night, but knowing Disney, Hyperspace Mountain will be here to stay until September 8th or so for Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy overlay.
                      I hope not, dear lord above. I can't take this Star Wars Tomorrowland junk much longer.
                      KA CHOW

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE McQueen View Post

. I can't take this Star Wars Tomorrowland junk much longer.

I AGREE
                        Tacky, UGLY Brand promotion, marketing ,Advertisement ,Has gotten old fast !
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

WHOA ... WHOA ... WHOA ........
                          where does it say - DL management IS turning this into queue space for Space Mountain?

They turned the lower level into a corporate/private party space .... For all we know ... this could be an extension for these private parties?
                          Wouldn't that match the latest Chapek Thinking?

I've actually become horrified over several of the latest decisions coming from Chapek ...
                          starting with Pixar Cheap Pier layovers .... continuing the Monorail as a means to advertise other Disney things. To a private party space replacing Starcade .. instead of it being something for the general public. To the new signage for Pizza Port ... and more.

It's one bad decision after another - Until there's proof the upper level of Starcade is going to something good .. I'm actually prepared it's going to be something bad. Something none of you are going to like. I'm going with an extension of the private party facilities.

I thought it was enough Star Wars will be invading DL instead of going into a different park ... to TL continuing to decline .. and being surprised to undoing the better placemaking scheme in 2012's DCA .. with Gardians of the Galaxy replacement ..............

Mr. Chapek and crew ... you can laugh at these discussion boards and us posters all you want - And congratulate yourself how wonderful you are ..And think we readers have no clue how to run a theme park operation ..................

But if you think the decisions you are making are improving the DLR Brand ........ That's only YOUR opinion. Sadly ... in all honesty ... they are shortsided Mr. Chapek. But it's obvious you can't see that.

People are watching!

And we are horrified what you are (UN)doing.
                          MY SIGNATURE:
                          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                            where does it say - DL management IS turning this into queue space for Space Mountain?

They turned the lower level into a corporate/private party space .... For all we know ... this could be an extension for these private parties?
                            Wouldn't that match the latest Chapek Thinking?

I've actually become horrified over several of the latest decisions coming from Chapek ...
                            starting with Pixar Cheap Pier layovers .... continuing the Monorail as a means to advertise other Disney things. To a private party space replacing Starcade .. instead of it being something for the general public. To the new signage for Pizza Port ... and more.

It's one bad decision after another - Until there's proof the upper level of Starcade is going to something good .. I'm actually prepared it's going to be something bad. Something none of you are going to like. I'm going with an extension of the private party facilities.

I thought it was enough Star Wars will be invading DL instead of going into a different park ... to TL continuing to decline .. and being surprised to undoing the better placemaking scheme in 2012's DCA .. with Gardians of the Galaxy replacement ..............

Mr. Chapek and crew ... you can laugh at these discussion boards and us posters all you want - And congratulate yourself how wonderful you are ..And think we readers have no clue how to run a theme park operation ..................

But if you think the decisions you are making are improving the DLR Brand ........ That's only YOUR opinion. Sadly ... in all honesty ... they are shortsided Mr. Chapek. But it's obvious you can't see that.

People are watching!

And we are horrified what you are (UN)doing.
                            I agree with most of your points, except for that the permit description says "Disney - Space Mountain, Backstage - Tenant Improvement: Renovate 5000 sq. ft. existing interior space to a conditioned queue area. Reconfigure existing queue on roof deck. Associated electrical and finish modifications". It's illegal to file a permit under false pretenses, so I think we can say with high confidence that this roof deck queue will be moved inside to a large degree. Indeed, this is a departure from some of the more bone-headed ideas we've seen recently. A good departure, though.

Comment

Have to say ,the way Bob Chapek Thinks.........it is SCARY !!
                              I for one does not like the way he running Disney Parks.....and making them as a Marketing Mall.
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

That was my point about Space Mountain.

Since 1977, from what I remember, the only two significant changes have been the removal of the speed ramps and breaking up the line for FastPass.

How was the Space Mountain attraction defined legally in 1977? And, how is it legally defined now? And, yes this stuff matters.

With the changes over the years, Space Mountain does not need 5,000 EXTRA Que space. The Standby-Line is already at an elevation change to maximize Que capacity.

Oh, and what is TDA going to "theme" this new interior to?

Star Tours vehicle to People Mover vehicle to SWGE to ...??? Ride vehicle to ride vehicle; just not the same ride...

Comment

...Until there's proof the upper level of Starcade is going to something good .. I'm actually prepared it's going to be something bad. Something none of you are going to like. I'm going with an extension of the private party facilities.
                                  The #1 thing in support of that viewpoint is the fact that Disney doesn't spend money to make guests more comfortable; they spend money to make money. Be it Pressler replacing restful benches with ODV carts, or later management regimes turning the quiet Court of Angels into an upscale adjunct to Club 33, repurposing the peaceful Alpine Gardens into a branded character meet-and-greet, or replacing Carnation Plaza Gardens with Princess Fantasy Faire, DL management's marching orders have been to maximize profits by looking for ways to monetize the infrastructure, either through direct merchandising, upsell, or brand promotion.

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                                  I agree with most of your points, except for that the permit description says "Disney - Space Mountain, Backstage - Tenant Improvement: Renovate 5000 sq. ft. existing interior space to a conditioned queue area. Reconfigure existing queue on roof deck. Associated electrical and finish modifications". It's illegal to file a permit under false pretenses....
                                  True enough. But there's no law that says Disney can't route that "queue" through a money-making operation. Given their track record in this regard, I think it would be astonishing if they didn't.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

Comment

As for this new Space Mountain Queue addition, I think it will be fine. The upper Starcade floor isn't being used and the queue itself could use more space. All I want is that Space Mountain isn't "Star Wars" themed 10 months out of the year.

Comment

Just know under Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious................
                                      I do not trust whatever Plastic Salesman-Bob Chapek ,does !
                                      Given His track record........
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

For the love of goodness sakes, I rather have the RCA "Here's to the Future" theme song than the Star Wars music in the new queue.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

I agree with most of your points, except for that the permit description says "Disney - Space Mountain, Backstage - Tenant Improvement: Renovate 5000 sq. ft. existing interior space to a conditioned queue area. Reconfigure existing queue on roof deck. Associated electrical and finish modifications". It's illegal to file a permit under false pretenses, so I think we can say with high confidence that this roof deck queue will be moved inside to a large degree. Indeed, this is a departure from some of the more bone-headed ideas we've seen recently. A good departure, though.
                                          Thanks Alec. Don’t you find it odd Disney would spend money to add to Space Mountain ‘s queue? What they have now seems adequate. Given the corporate structure the company is these days.... seems impossible they’d do something like this unless there is something attached that means opening up your wallet!

Why now? The upper level of the arcade has been off limits to the public since 1999. With updated state codes rendering it obsolete. And I can tell you all .... I remember the floor up there had a good “wobble” to it. (Not a very rigid floor) ..... so me thinks there’s plenty work to do up there for just a nice air conditioned section of queue? Chapek is up to something else .... cause I can smell something stinky in the works!
                                          Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 04-19-2018, 09:57 PM.
                                          MY SIGNATURE:
                                          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Working...
                                          X