X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wayfindersabrina
    started a topic Splash Mountain Updates

Splash Mountain Updates

I rode Splash Mountain on Sunday evening, after it had been closing and reopening inconsistently throughout the day. When I got into the log, I had to step into maybe 2 inches of water sitting in the log, which I thought was really unusual. I also felt like that the water level in the channel/track itself did seem higher than normal. I got completely soaked, even from the smaller drops. Did other people notice this or was it just me? I also think they added a couple belts along the track. Lastly, the logs seemed different, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Anyone know what?

The pictures/cameras weren't working when I went on as well, which was disappointing for my friends and I.

What other changes did you all notice? Other thoughts? In my opinion, changes are hard to spot since the ride has been closed for so long...

• spacejockey
    replied
    Has the lighting on Splash been improved? Last time I rode it was very dark.

Leave a comment:

• WaltDisney'sAlec
    replied
    I know that Micechat had reported (with pictorial evidence) varying degrees of streams flowing down the final drop. I'm not sure what happened to the photo, but I believe the pictures were taken of the ride in different times of the year. This has already been debated on Micechat before, in this thread. It's filled with people who said "but I went on at night and still got wet". If anything, I think Disney has some degree of control over how wet you get depending on the temperature for that time of year, but it might be something they activate each morning at park open.

Still, I would think the biggest factor of how wet you get is where you sit and how weight is distributed. I always lean to the left on the drop before the laughing place, because a huge wave almost always comes over the right side of the log after that drop. Sometimes I get wet on the smaller drops too, but it's never consistent.

I don't think that Disney can actually control the literal level of the water in the ride besides on/off, simply because I think that could be dangerous depending on the amount of weight in the log. There might be various effects or jets that they can activate near drops that might increase the likelihood of volatile wakes and waves, but that is probably the extent of it.

For the purposes of this refurbishment, I remember reading somewhere (it might have been Micechat, might have been somewhere else), that they were replacing the flume due to an engineering flaw that occurred at construction time. That could explain why the peak before the final drop feels less like a dramatic thud. I have yet to ride myself since the refurbishment, but Splash is one of my favorite Disneyland rides. I'm so hyper-aware of each of the 7 drops and all the quirks of the ride, that when I rode WDW's version I could feel that the final drop might have been an extra 5-feet longer than Disneyland's. I'm interested to see if any of these changes will be as readily apparent following the latest refurbishment.

Leave a comment:

• joeyhalderman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sprig View Post

LOL! And, what would you call the "control" for adjusting the drain and fill of the water? I never said that it was an TDA officially named control device!
    Wasn't trying to call you out or say you were wrong, Sorry if it came across that way.

Leave a comment:

• chadwpalm
    replied
    A couple summers ago I got so drenched it looked like I had just jumped into a swimming pool.....and we hadn't even hit the final drop yet. I believe it happened on one of the drops inside the show building. We did have quite a bit of weight toward the front of the boat.

I think there are multiple factors involved in how wet you get. The already mentioned weight distribution, water level, and also the displacement of the water at that given moment. What I mean is the timing between boats. Water gets displaced and depending on the timing the water could still be displaced or gathering back again. It's a pretty common thing on most flume rides.

Leave a comment:

• DarthBrett78
    replied
    Off-topic slightly, but I always notice that Grizzly River Run always has the geysers turned off in the summer when it is hot and I actually want to get drenched. But then in Feb and March when it is 40-55 degrees, they have them going full blast! Doesn't make any sense at all. I think that may be drought related/water conservation, though?

I have noticed the water level on Pirates and Splash being a lot lower in the morning when the park first opens. I always assume this is because more logs/pirate ships are in the main canals and therefore make the water level go up? I may be 100% wrong there though and that may have nothing to do with it. But I have definitely noticed instances where the water level was noticeably lower or higher.

I have gotten fairly wet on Pirates before. Usually in the 3rd or 4th row for some reason. I think the splash hits the rocks and splashes back perhaps? I know Pirates used to have a warning sign with a Marc Davis' sketch of pirates pushing a boat or something and it clearly said "You may get wet". So there always is a chance on Pirates that you may get a splash. I love DW's Pirates with the cannonball splashes actually hitting the guests and getting them wet. If DL could turn that on in summer or on days it's 90+ degrees outside it would be great! LOL I'm sure some people would hate it though.

Leave a comment:

• Sprig
    replied
    Originally posted by joeyhalderman View Post
    ...I don't believe they have a dial-the-wet feature. I'm sure they are able to fill and drain the water which could affect the level of wetness...
    LOL! And, what would you call the "control" for adjusting the drain and fill of the water? I never said that it was an TDA officially named control device!

Leave a comment:

• joeyhalderman
    replied
    Originally posted by wayfindersabrina View Post
    I rode Splash Mountain on Sunday evening, after it had been closing and reopening inconsistently throughout the day. When I got into the log, I had to step into maybe 2 inches of water sitting in the log, which I thought was really unusual. I also felt like that the water level in the channel/track itself did seem higher than normal. I got completely soaked, even from the smaller drops. Did other people notice this or was it just me? I also think they added a couple belts along the track. Lastly, the logs seemed different, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Anyone know what?

The pictures/cameras weren't working when I went on as well, which was disappointing for my friends and I.

What other changes did you all notice? Other thoughts? In my opinion, changes are hard to spot since the ride has been closed for so long...
    While I haven't ridden Splash since it reopened. I have experienced many different levels of wetness on the ride. For me, it's pretty sure that if I sit in the very back I only get splashed a little on the smaller drops. If I sit in the front I get soaking wet when the ginormous wall of water comes barreling over me at the bottom of the big drop. I usually try to avoid the front.

I don't believe they have a dial-the-wet feature. I'm sure they are able to fill and drain the water which could affect the level of wetness. I think in addition to the amount of water in the flume it also depends on the weight of the log. The heavier the log the more it digs into the water creating a wave.

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    I think the over all water level varies as well and causes a vast degree of rider soaking for any water ride. Once my wife and I got drenched on POTC because we sat in the front and the water level was really high that day and after the second drop a wave of water about an inch thick came over the bow and into our lapse. I've ridden Splash many times since it first opened and rarely have gotten too wet until last year when I rode with my daughter and I got just as wet as if it was GRR so much that we stood out side the ride wringing out our clothes so we would not leave a puddle trail for other guests to slip on. My Daughter sat up front and I in the 2nd row. Several times waves literally went over her head ( she's 9 ) and splashed right into my face like somebody throwing a glass of water onto my head. I have yet to ride it since. If they would simply put a gurney flap leaning outward on the logs it would go a long way to prevent the rush of water that pours over the sides sometimes which is the worst culprit in getting guests soaked. The high splashes are much less soaking and I am sure not as much of a deterrent for many guests. My wife and I have literally debated taking a pair of sandals to change into and putting our shoes and socks into a ziplock to ride Splash going forward. Even then on the rare occasions we ride Splash or GRR its either the last ride of the day or if we are staying on site and we will ride repeat 2-3 times then go change in the room.

Leave a comment:

• Phantomwise
    replied
    Originally posted by Sprig View Post
    I know this is not accurate. The water of course imprints witness marks into the paint of the flume. I rode one time, early spring I think, and it was obvious the water level was not as high as it can be. My memory is thinking that the water level was only about 70% of the "high water" mark.

None of us got very wet.

I knew a CM way back when Splash first opened. He didn't work Splash, but he was fascinated with attraction at the time. He told me that Splash has a "Dial-the-Wet" feature. Of course I have no way to verify if this true, but I suspect that there is very little reason for it to not be true. It would be poor show to totally soak guests when the high temperature of the day is actually very cold.

Splash is a little different then Grizzly River Run as with GRR you are expected to get totally soaked.
    Personally, I agree with you and my own personal experiences as a rider seemed to support that. However, it's just no matter who I ask, they all insist it doesn't change. I normally take the attraction CMs at their word because they should know the attraction best. If they don't know, I wouldn't know who would.

Leave a comment:

• wayfindersabrina
    replied
    Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
    Mind if I ask which seat/row you sat in? I only ask because i have sat in the first 3 rows and gotten completely drenched before. Usually I barely even get wet in the last 2 seats of the log though (6 or 7). If you got soaked sitting in the very back or were only with 1 other person in the middle of an empty log, then I would say something definitely changed. Those were always the 2 ways you could ride and be pretty safe and sure that you would not get very wet or barely a sprinkle before.
    The log was fully loaded with adults, and I sat in the front row, so that might be why? But my friends in rows 4-6 got more wet than expected as well. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, haha. I was just really surprised at the amount of water in the log when I got in.

It's interesting to hear what the rest of you have thought/heard! I didn't even notice the flaps on the final lift hill since I was so focused on posing for the picture with my friends, whoops.

Leave a comment:

• TL59
    replied
    I didn't notice more water during the three times I rode it this weekend (when it was actually running). The only big noticeable differences that I saw were that flaps that hit the side of the log on lift hills are padded now and don't make the sound they used to make before, and you can tell that the final drop is made of different material, as the "bump" onto the final drop is less jarring than before. It was also fun to see effects work that haven't worked properly in a while, but it was also confusing to see other effects and animatronics still missing or not working. It seems that the majority of the time went to re-tracking the final drop, which I assume was necessary. Overall, it's still the same great Splash Mountain I've always loved.

Leave a comment:

• Sprig
    replied
    Originally posted by Phantomwise View Post
    ... Splash CMs insist to me that the amount of water is the same all year long; it's going to be freezing in winter!...
    I know this is not accurate. The water of course imprints witness marks into the paint of the flume. I rode one time, early spring I think, and it was obvious the water level was not as high as it can be. My memory is thinking that the water level was only about 70% of the "high water" mark.

None of us got very wet.

I knew a CM way back when Splash first opened. He didn't work Splash, but he was fascinated with attraction at the time. He told me that Splash has a "Dial-the-Wet" feature. Of course I have no way to verify if this true, but I suspect that there is very little reason for it to not be true. It would be poor show to totally soak guests when the high temperature of the day is actually very cold.

Splash is a little different then Grizzly River Run as with GRR you are expected to get totally soaked.

Leave a comment:

• Phantomwise
    replied
    From what I hear from CMs and guests that did get to ride, there is definitely a lot more water. Splash CMs insist to me that the amount of water is the same all year long; it's going to be freezing in winter!

The thing I noticed was the lighting, painting, and animation! It's not exactly a change, but it's so great to see it better shape! I just hope they can keep it up instead of letting it deteriorate again.
    Last edited by Phantomwise; 11-09-2018, 08:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DarthBrett78
    replied
    Mind if I ask which seat/row you sat in? I only ask because i have sat in the first 3 rows and gotten completely drenched before. Usually I barely even get wet in the last 2 seats of the log though (6 or 7). If you got soaked sitting in the very back or were only with 1 other person in the middle of an empty log, then I would say something definitely changed. Those were always the 2 ways you could ride and be pretty safe and sure that you would not get very wet or barely a sprinkle before.

I'm sure you know, the lighter the log the less likely you are to get wet. If you were on a full loaded log with all adults - you will get really soaked! So was it fully loaded and all adults? That could also have been why?

I've noticed more often than not, unless you are in the first 2 rows, the worst drop in terms of getting wet is actually the one in the dark. That one has gotten me really good before. And even the little dip right after that in the fountain room has sent a wave over the log and soaked me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X