Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Privacy Policy and Terms of Use

Please review MiceChat's updated Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. Links are provided at the bottom of the page. Thank you.
2 of 2 < >

MiceChat Forums Retheme

Hello Folks,

Delayed, due to unforeseen circumstances our presentation of "MiceChat Forum Makeover" has been delayed till next weekend.

MiceChat Forums will be going through a design change and much needed update. This update will give a more modern look as well as bring in mobile viewing options. So you may see the forums looking strange as we implement the new look.

Thank you all, and happy MiceChatting!
See more
See less

Peoplemover / Rocket Rod tracks to be torn down soon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Rumor] Peoplemover / Rocket Rod tracks to be torn down soon?

    Disneyland blogger Matthew Gottula tweeted earlier this week that park management wants the track in Tomorrowland removed, and hopes to have the budget ready for removal by fall 2018.

    He wrote, "You may want to get your Christmas photos with and bid adieu."

    https://twitter.com/DLthings/status/985923758455119874

  • #2
    Eventually it has to happen. But it's been pointed out that in order to remove the Peoplemover tracks, all of Tomorrowland will have to be shut down. You would think they would at least wait until Star Wars Land opens up.

    Comment


    • #3
      Tearing stuff like this down costs money........it could have a negative impact on executive compensation.......can't have that!!

      Comment


      • #4
        The death of the Peoplemover is one of the biggest #@¢€-ups of the Michael Eisner/Pressler era. And then to let an abandoned attraction just ROT in full view of guests. Walt Disney must be rolling in his grave. Greedy astro-hole bastards. I truly have disdain for them, and those like them working at Disney today.

        Comment


        • #5
          There is no point having tracks if they (DISNEY) not going have the Peoplemover .....
          And it been many years now..........Another Sad Chapter.....at Disneyland
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

          Comment


          • #6
            Where's the net gain in this?

            Oh that's right ... THERE IS NONE!

            So, lets not jump to conclusions ... The bigger question is - How many years will it take for TL to receive a proper full scale renovation?

            Only then .... should a removal of the tracks happen. And BETTER have a similar attraction to replace the tracks.

            Think this out rationally ...........

            What we have here is the TL:67 infrastructure in place. It has had several paint jobs and simple layovers over-riding what was there in 1967 .. Not to mention the aging 1977 Space Mountain complex. There are bigger issues than just the PM tracks. What is ultimately going to happen to every aging structure from Innoventions, the Kodak Magic Eye Theater, the Observatron/Rocket Jets mechanism, the two "mirrored" building facades that make up Star Tours, and Buzz Lightyear? The Space Place restaurant/SM Queue? Redd Rockets Pizza Port? These are all 41 and 51 year old buildings ..... How many more paint jobs do you think they can keep doing to the aging TL67 infrastructure?

            If you remove the PM tracks from the TL67 layout .. It's going to look like the land is missing something. How many times do you all think they can just keep recycling the old 1967 layout .. by repainting it, and removing the tracks? There is no aesthetic net gain to it. At least the tracks offer architecture .... The George McGinnis inspired arches are beautiful. It's all overhead ... with the tracks offering shade in locations. Past posters make the stupid claim they take up land ..... They never think it through ... It's the landscape pods with seating that take up room ... but then you take away needed seating.

            I have no clue TL's future ... but for now ... until they can commit to a large budget to redo the entire land ... it's really a waste of time and money tinkering with bits here and bits there .... when a bigger reno project should be in the wings at some point.
            MY SIGNATURE:
            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
              Where's the net gain in this?

              Oh that's right ... THERE IS NONE!

              So, lets not jump to conclusions ... The bigger question is - How many years will it take for TL to receive a proper full scale renovation?

              Only then .... should a removal of the tracks happen. And BETTER have a similar attraction to replace the tracks.
              One thing about Tomorrowland ,since day one......
              Is the Lack Of Shade.......and it get mighty HOT in that area......specially in the Summer Heat ! (((())))

              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • #8
                Wow!

                01JAN19 seems to be cutting the time-line for secrecy pretty tight; TDA is not going to do anything major during the Holiday Rush.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Peoplemover/Rocket Rod tracks are in such a bad shape that they can't be reused for a new attraction. It's funny how Disney executives at the time made a mistake creating a an attraction destined to fail and how the current Disney executives are paying the price for the mistake now.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                    The Peoplemover/Rocket Rod tracks are in such a bad shape that they can't be reused for a new attraction. It's funny how Disney executives at the time made a mistake creating a an attraction destined to fail and how the current Disney executives are paying the price for the mistake now.
                    What funny with the current Disney executives !
                    They are way over pay........
                    and When Tomorrowland receive a proper full scale renovation , and TLC it needs.............?
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

                      What funny with the current Disney executives !
                      They are way over pay........
                      and When Tomorrowland receive a proper full scale renovation , and TLC it needs.............?
                      And what's sad is the Disney executives are going in the opposite direction of Walt Disney. Walt had vision of imagination, creativity, and originality. Disney executives are more interested in copying non Disney theme parks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post

                        And what's sad is the Disney executives are going in the opposite direction of Walt Disney. Walt had vision of imagination, creativity, and originality. Disney executives are more interested in copying non Disney theme parks.
                        Given track record........It all about Marketing - Advertisment - Branding
                        Current Disney executives it's all about money Today
                        Lack vision , imagination, creativity, and originality of a Tomorrowland of Hope into the Future !
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                          The Peoplemover/Rocket Rod tracks are in such a bad shape .
                          One has to wonder the true shape of them. How many times are claims moderately to heavily exaggerated?

                          At the end of the day .... it comes down to what state codes will allow. And how much Vision and Money there is to back up a land wide renovation.

                          and here’s another dismaying observation kiddies ......

                          this whole “grandfather” clause thing ....

                          So think about this for a moment ....

                          The State Of California creates one set of documents to say it’s okay for the Monorail to operate. It’s never been “officially” closed. That makes all the difference in the world! But the Peoplemover went through a “permanent shut down” and can’t be reopened.

                          So there you go people..... a bureaucratic rule is what’s keeping the Peoplemover from returning!
                          MY SIGNATURE:
                          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                            Eventually it has to happen. But it's been pointed out that in order to remove the Peoplemover tracks, all of Tomorrowland will have to be shut down.
                            Really? They couldn't just put a construction wall around the section of the track that they're working on, and do it little by little that way? And then close Autopia while they're working on that section?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

                              One thing about Tomorrowland ,since day one......
                              Is the Lack Of Shade.......and it get mighty HOT in that area......specially in the Summer Heat ! (((())))
                              This was my thought! the removal of the only shade source.
                              BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                                Really? They couldn't just put a construction wall around the section of the track that they're working on, and do it little by little that way? And then close Autopia while they're working on that section?
                                Think about the amount of equipment that it will take to remove the track this is major construction not a repaving project and that is not to mention safety measures. they may be able to keep the back half opened while they do the area around buzz and star tours then switch the closure but no way to keep everything open.
                                BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Well, tearing down the tracks looks like it would open the walkway quite a bit and that area is a bit of a squeeze. But they also provide needed shade so it's a win/lose, I guess.

                                  If it's true, I do hate to see them go, even as 'useless' as they are just sitting there. I have wonderful memories of riding the PM and the kinetic energy of seeing the cars moving to and fro on their journey around TL.
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Sprig View Post
                                    Wow!

                                    01JAN19 seems to be cutting the time-line for secrecy pretty tight; TDA is not going to do anything major during the Holiday Rush.
                                    I took it to mean that the BUDGET will be ready by 2018. However, that could mean that while they ok the project then, it won't be set to begin for another year or more. That could put the tracks' demolition well after the opening of Star Wars Galaxy Edge, and even after the major surge in attendance that they're expecting. It could also mean that they are getting ready for that major Tomorrowland overhaul that so many folks want. I don't know business or anything, so I"m just speculating.
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                                    No matter where you go, there you are.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

                                      Think about the amount of equipment that it will take to remove the track this is major construction not a repaving project and that is not to mention safety measures. they may be able to keep the back half opened while they do the area around buzz and star tours then switch the closure but no way to keep everything open.
                                      Which is what I was suggesting. No where did I say that they could "keep everything open". I was responding to what DLHMFAN said
                                      "...in order to remove the Peoplemover tracks, all of Tomorrowland will have to be shut down." Clearly, it wouldn't ALL have to be shut down at once.
                                      As far as loss of shade, how will it be any different from Main St. U.S.A.?

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Main Street has more trees, as well as all those shops which allow people a chance to go inside to get out of the sun. Tomorrowland has much less inside space that doesn't involve standing in a line.
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                                        No matter where you go, there you are.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X