Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peoplemover / Rocket Rod tracks to be torn down soon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is not surprising. What's surprising is that it hasn't happened sooner. I spoke to a CM 2-3 years ago who told me that the PM tracks will be coming down. They are not structurally sound and do not meet with current ADA and OSHA requirements. They'd have to essentially need to be torn down in order to make them usable again. They would also need to be refitted to meet with earthquake requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
      Really? They couldn't just put a construction wall around the section of the track that they're working on, and do it little by little that way? And then close Autopia while they're working on that section?
      At this point, the only thing that matters is getting rid of the Peoplemover tracks. It should have been done in 2005 or 2006 when the Subs were being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

One has to wonder the true shape of them. How many times are claims moderately to heavily exaggerated?

At the end of the day .... it comes down to what state codes will allow. And how much Vision and Money there is to back up a land wide renovation.

and here’s another dismaying observation kiddies ......

this whole “grandfather” clause thing ....

So think about this for a moment ....

The State Of California creates one set of documents to say it’s okay for the Monorail to operate. It’s never been “officially” closed. That makes all the difference in the world! But the Peoplemover went through a “permanent shut down” and can’t be reopened.

So there you go people..... a bureaucratic rule is what’s keeping the Peoplemover from returning!
        Sometimes I wander why it took so long for Disney to decide to remove the tracks. It took them 22 years to remove the Skyway Chalet in Fantasyland. And now it's been 18 years since there's been any activity on the tracks. But the sooner the tracks are gone, the better. Tomorrowland has to move on at some point.

Comment

I'm guessing when the tracks will come down will be after Star Wars Land opens up and maybe Marvel Land is finished.

Comment

Really? They couldn't just put a construction wall around the section of the track that they're working on, and do it little by little that way? And then close Autopia while they're working on that section?
            This was my original thought. Do Autopia first with little shut down then do TL walkways next, but honestly, they may not even touch the Autopia sections (at least not first) and here why I think why...

I feel like this is falling into some sort of overall plan to help mitigate congestion in walkways around the park. Think about it. Last year in Adventureland they moved all stroller parking to a new spot to open up the walkways and alleviate some of the congestion. A recent Fresh Baked video shows that they just completely removed a planter in Fantasyland in front of Pinocchio opening up the walkway there. Dumbo is getting a queue overhaul that wraps around behind the attraction to both add shade and get the queue out of the main walkway opening up that area. They just finished the extended queue at Small World which pretty much does the same thing....to keep the queue from backing up into walkways in front of the attraction. A permit was filed to add more queue space to Space Mountain to get backed up lines out of walkways. Now we hear they want to remove the PM tracks, most likely again to open up the main walkway between BL and ST. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to see what is happening here.

I believe all of this is happening to help manage crowds for when SW:GE opens up. Plain and simple. Now's the time to do it all since we are not much more than a year away.
            Last edited by chadwpalm; 04-20-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. If the PM tracks are finally coming down now it's to open up the main TL walkway. I would also add that the Starcade and Tropical Hideaway projects seem to be part of the overall master plan of maximizing space in the park ahead of next year's attendance crush. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more similar projects pop up throughout the next year.

It's too bad the new hotel/Downtown Disney expansion project won't be done for three more years. Downtown Disney will be...unpleasant next year.

Comment

Which is what I was suggesting. No where did I say that they could "keep everything open". I was responding to what DLHMFAN said
                "...in order to remove the Peoplemover tracks, all of Tomorrowland will have to be shut down." Clearly, it wouldn't ALL have to be shut down at once.
                As far as loss of shade, how will it be any different from Main St. U.S.A.?
                Good point, although while I love main street U.S.A. it's the gateway for me. we don't spend a ton of time outside of the shops and restaurants there and the Hub and town square are full of trees. Of course I will wait and see what is done with the area before making a final decision as Disney has been great at adding shade and trees to the areas they have created new or remodeled lately.
                BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

I really hope this rumor is not true. I would be surprised if they did tear them down because that would mean removing the Orbitron and that entire building, there is major infrastructure that still exists as part of that building including the tunnel that goes from the old Rocket Rods loading platform to the current Astro Blasters building. I really don't think it would even be effective in mitigating the crowds. I think what would help would be moving the Astro Orbiter somewhere other than the entrance to the land, which seems to take up a nice amount of space.

I know this has been brought up in countless other threads and is likely not going to happen but I believe returning the people mover would help ease crowds. If I remember correctly when they closed it, ridership had dwindled. I really think that with the current crowds it would be a great way for people to take a rest and get some nice views of Tomorrowland. I'm sure there is some exciting new technology they could use to keep it modern. I don't know much about Florida's magnetic system and I'm sure that has been mentioned too.

They say it isn't possible to bring it back but with enough money anything is possible. However, without some sort of film overlay, I doubt we will see the People Mover return. I think Tomorrowland will be addressed but not until after Marvel Land opens.

Honestly, there are a lot of complaints about a lack of imagination and film tie-ins but people keep coming back even when they are raising the prices astronomically high.

Comment

One has to wonder the true shape of them. How many times are claims moderately to heavily exaggerated?

At the end of the day .... it comes down to what state codes will allow. And how much Vision and Money there is to back up a land wide renovation.

and here’s another dismaying observation kiddies ......

this whole “grandfather” clause thing ....

So think about this for a moment ....

The State Of California creates one set of documents to say it’s okay for the Monorail to operate. It’s never been “officially” closed. That makes all the difference in the world! But the Peoplemover went through a “permanent shut down” and can’t be reopened.

So there you go people..... a bureaucratic rule is what’s keeping the Peoplemover from returning!
                    What current codes does the monorail violate?

Comment

Removing/Demo'ing these tracks is a major undertaking as they are in a essence a string of bridges. Also the PM track is much larger then the Monorail track and will be a bigger pain to extract. There will need to be cranes and/or a series of gantries involved or sub structures built underneath to cut away and then cut down each section. Since it's concrete the dust and small chips that can become projectiles also complicates things. Combine that with the fact that it acts as supports in some sections and are integrated into other major structures and it becomes quite costly both in time and money to remove. You also have sections that run parallel to the Monorail track and above the waterfall of the Subs. Putting a wall up around the worksite would in essence mean walling off most of TL as there needs to be a space between the wall and work area and the main corridor is already fairly narrow.

As far as limiting congestion I do not believe it's the PM track that causes it. I think it's the Astro Orbiter having moved to the entrance that is causing a near 50% reduction in corridor width that creates one of the worst bottlenecks in the resort and backs up the crowds.

If they block off all this area while bringing in all the heavy equipment and do not build major updates to TL it will be a serious opportunity wasted. Also I think the SWGE opening will not make the park any more crowded then on days where they reach capacity and even them I believe outside the SWGE area and the main entrance lines the park might feel less crowded as most will cram into SWGE during the peak interest creating a bit of a vacuum to that area of the park.

When/if it happens I predict they will close the Astro Orbitor, Buzz & Star Tours ( good timing would be shortly after SWGE opens as remember their capacity would also be reduced when they close off sections of the park),do the front section. Then close the Subs and Autopia and the Monorail to do the back section. Ideally they would bring over some of the heavy cranes and hook them up to sections and slice said section off allowing the crane to quickly remove large pieces to backstage where they can be cut down but this would have to be done after hours or while the entire land is closed off as you cannot move this kind of thing over the heads of guests or even CM's.
                      Last edited by Starcade; 04-20-2018, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Where's the net gain in this?

Oh that's right ... THERE IS NONE!

So, lets not jump to conclusions ... The bigger question is - How many years will it take for TL to receive a proper full scale renovation?

Only then .... should a removal of the tracks happen. And BETTER have a similar attraction to replace the tracks.

Think this out rationally ...........

What we have here is the TL:67 infrastructure in place. It has had several paint jobs and simple layovers over-riding what was there in 1967 .. Not to mention the aging 1977 Space Mountain complex. There are bigger issues than just the PM tracks. What is ultimately going to happen to every aging structure from Innoventions, the Kodak Magic Eye Theater, the Observatron/Rocket Jets mechanism, the two "mirrored" building facades that make up Star Tours, and Buzz Lightyear? The Space Place restaurant/SM Queue? Redd Rockets Pizza Port? These are all 41 and 51 year old buildings ..... How many more paint jobs do you think they can keep doing to the aging TL67 infrastructure?

If you remove the PM tracks from the TL67 layout .. It's going to look like the land is missing something. How many times do you all think they can just keep recycling the old 1967 layout .. by repainting it, and removing the tracks? There is no aesthetic net gain to it. At least the tracks offer architecture .... The George McGinnis inspired arches are beautiful. It's all overhead ... with the tracks offering shade in locations. Past posters make the stupid claim they take up land ..... They never think it through ... It's the landscape pods with seating that take up room ... but then you take away needed seating.

I have no clue TL's future ... but for now ... until they can commit to a large budget to redo the entire land ... it's really a waste of time and money tinkering with bits here and bits there .... when a bigger reno project should be in the wings at some point.
                        Excellent post, and I mean EXCELLENT!
                        sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Where's the net gain in this?

Oh that's right ... THERE IS NONE!
                          Think this out rationally ...........

What we have here is the TL:67 infrastructure in place...These are all 41 and 51 year old buildings ..... How many more paint jobs do you think they can keep doing to the aging TL67 infrastructure?...
                          It all depends upon two critical things. 1, the original design for quality and lifespan; and 2, the following maintenance.

The Space Needle in Seattle, WA was built in 1961 and still stands to attract visitors.

The PM was built/finished at least 5 years later (July 2, 1967).

TIME is not the thing that keeps something working or not. The Matterhorn (OPENED in 1959 (and still operating) and the Subs (COMING BACK) are two great examples of how something old can still have the maintenance done to keep it going.

Comment

Does anyone know if this may be related to an overhaul of the entire TL area? I can't imagine them tearing down all that track without closing the land as someone said.

Though if the plan is to do this in early 2019, which IMO would be a horrible idea, could it be to make way for transportation to SWL? I still hold on to my old dreams of a new and improved PM doing something useful at some point.

I honestly think they should wait until they're ready to re-do TL. I thought I read somewhere that Fantasyland is up for overhaul after SWL and Superhero HQ (because God forbid we call it Marvel Land), so a TL re-do is at least 10 years out if that's true. How would they feasibly tear down the tracks before that?

Comment

Honestly, what they should do is tear out the central runway PM tracks, and re-do the central building so that you can put the Astro Orbiter back on top of the building. I'm thinking gentle spiral ramp up the side to where the PM/RR station is, which would become a queue holding area, and then a second spiral ramp from this level to the top floor, where the Orbiter would be. This would really clear up the central walkway into Tomorrowland (you can even pair this whole move with the removal of the French Fry rocks out front).

Comment

Originally posted by Nirya View Post
                                so that you can put the Astro Orbiter back on top of the building.
                                The familiar story is that the Astro Orbiter was too heavy to replace the Rocket Jets so it ended up where it is today. Not that I wouldn't want a spinner up there again. Rocket Jets was inherently a much more thrilling ride due to its height.

Comment

It doesn't make sense to do something this major months before SWGE opens. You get rid of shade as mentioned a lot. Also an unnecessary cost which does nothing at all to the area, There isn;t much to add to this topic except that I echo the statement about redoing this whole area. At that time they can take out the tracks because hopefully everything will be closed in TL except Space Mountain for a major redo. My guess on a timeline for that though LOL 2027 for the opening. 2019 is SWGE 2020 is the Marvel stuff. My prediction is an e ticket add on to Marvel in DCA 2021. Then a FL expansion completed around 2024 and then finally TL finishing up 2027 which is 60 years after the TL67!!!!
                                  These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                  My company had a special night at the park
                                  WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                  NYE 2011 trip report
                                  Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                  Leap year 24 hour report
                                  New DCA trip report
                                  NYE 2012
                                  HKDL trip report

Comment

One thing Disney can do...that would help.......
                                    removal of the French Fry rocks out front....they in the way ....always been
                                    Tacky and UGLY
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post

The familiar story is that the Astro Orbiter was too heavy to replace the Rocket Jets so it ended up where it is today...
                                      Hah! I doubt that is true.

What I heard was that TDA did not want to keep spending the money on the 2 cast members needed to operate the elevators.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprig View Post
                                        The Space Needle in Seattle, WA was built in 1961 and still stands to attract visitors.
                                        I saw when the Space Needle was being built........and was at the 1962 World Fair.....
                                        also been to the Space Needle ,30 years after......now it over 50 years old......amazing
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Sprig View Post

Hah! I doubt that is true.

What I heard was that TDA did not want to keep spending the money on the 2 cast members needed to operate the elevators.
                                          what its worth, in an interview Tony baxter cited weight as the reason for moving it in an interview. Both explanations make sense.

Comment

Working...
                                          X