Disneyland - Miceage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland - Miceage

Lot's of folks come here for the Disneyland Miceage articles, yet they have been absent for quite a while now. It's not like there isn't news/rumors floating around. Does anyone have information on the future of Miceage? If it's dead or dying out, it would be great to have it go out with a bang (maybe a finale series talking about Al, his sources, and his track record) instead of a whimper.

Have the articles been absent or just the MiceAge branding? I almost feel like the Articles are becoming more frequent then years past?

Comment

Hello there BW1, we have multiple articles that go to MiceChat and MiceAge, but as al lutz always said there only be articles when there is news worth discussing.

Loving Disney Since 2006!
      Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

Comment

I have tried to appreciate the best around me, while it's there, because one day you wake up, and realize that something/someone you loved, isn't around any more. Nothing lasts forever.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

I believe I read that Al has been taking time off from writing articles due to some health issues. That being said. I think that Dusty and the rest of the MiceChat team has been doing a phenomenal job keeping us updated. I live four hours north and it is hard to get to Disney as often as I would like. So this site has been invaluable to me. MiceChat is my #1 source of Disney News and I check the site almost daily to see if there are any new posts (usually there are).

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
            I have tried to appreciate the best around me, while it's there, because one day you wake up, and realize that something/someone you loved, isn't around any more. Nothing lasts forever.
            I'm with you. But my point is, if the "Miceage" angle of blog is dying out on this site, give it a fitting ending.

I get that there are other news outlets, but Miceage was truly original in form, tone, and content. It was Disneyland news & rumors viewed through an ops perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by BW1 View Post

I'm with you. But my point is, if the "Miceage" angle of blog is dying out on this site, give it a fitting ending.

I get that there are other news outlets, but Miceage was truly original in form, tone, and content. It was Disneyland news & rumors viewed through an ops perspective.
              Indeed. The park updates are coming as frequently as ever, but the lack of rumor updates (whether they come from Al Lutz or the "MiceAge Crew") means it just doesn't feel the same on the website.

I am curious as to whether the "news worth discussing" requirement for publishing MiceAge articles is the reason why we haven't seen any. There have certainly been no shortage of rumors on other websites or even among Micechat members. My fear is that Disney's strong-arming tactics, while they might have failed with the LA Times, have spooked the smaller websites and blogs that rely on press passes for official Disney events to provide inside looks at the parks. I hope that's not the case with Micechat, but of course we really have no way of knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

I am curious as to whether the "news worth discussing" requirement for publishing MiceAge articles is the reason why we haven't seen any. There have certainly been no shortage of rumors on other websites or even among Micechat members. My fear is that Disney's strong-arming tactics, while they might have failed with the LA Times, have spooked the smaller websites and blogs that rely on press passes for official Disney events to provide inside looks at the parks. I hope that's not the case with Micechat, but of course we really have no way of knowing.
                If I were Disney, I would think something like Miceage is actually great publicity. It's a rumor driven blog, which aside from some anti-management snark, serves to spark the imaginations of die hard fans to play amateur VP or imagineer. If I were an exec, I would feed some nuggets here and there. Yet, I agree Disney's m.o. these days seems to run counter to this. A couple of the later Miceage pieces were a bit personal toward some execs, maybe they struck a nerve with management. It's one thing to say the suits are clueless, but another to name names. I certainly hope it's not the case that Micechat is being blackballed by Disney.

If I were to guess what's going on, I'd say that Al got his info from sources that have retired. Leaking rumors is a trust business, and perhaps the sources are just drying up. It seems some of the more recent miceage blogs, since Al stepped away, are more of a repackage of rumors from around the web. It can't be easy to find insiders who fear backlash from their bosses.

All that said, Jim Hill doesn't seem to be having a hard time finding gossip, so maybe it's more of a re-branding of the site from "edgy" to "traditional vanilla." As I recall, there were a number of posts around here a while back that talked about how "negative" this site was...

Comment

Originally posted by cakvalasc View Post
                  Hello there BW1, we have multiple articles that go to MiceChat and MiceAge, but as al lutz always said there only be articles when there is news worth discussing.
                  I've been here a while and I've heard that a lot. I do really appreciate the reply. But, with so much Disney news out there, I can't help but speculate there is something more to it.

You should expect this, as this was/is a rumor driven site.

Comment

." As I recall, there were a number of posts around here a while back that talked about how "negative" this site was...

Funny you should mention that. Just today on Fresh Baked's newest video from the park, they reference Micechat and the negativity surrounding the site.

With Al's health in decline I think its simply his priorities lie elsewhere now but he probably still has sources within Disney. Micechat is still a great website but yeah, the glory days have past.
                    "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Fan View Post
                      Funny you should mention that. Just today on Fresh Baked's newest video from the park, they reference Micechat and the negativity surrounding the site.

With Al's health in decline I think its simply his priorities lie elsewhere now but he probably still has sources within Disney. Micechat is still a great website but yeah, the glory days have past.
                      We all love Micechat! To be clear, I'm not knocking the site. I just miss the rumors, and in particular, the nitty gritty about how the park operates.

Comment

What video and at what time?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                          What video and at what time?
                          I skipped through their recent upload to find it. At the end, he says that he was joking. 24 mins 50 seconds

Comment

All that said, Jim Hill doesn't seem to be having a hard time finding gossip, so maybe it's more of a re-branding of the site from "edgy" to "traditional vanilla."
                            Along with Al, MiceAge columnists like Kevin Yee and Andy Castro, who cast a critical eye on Disney, are gone. Dusty, the site's owner, used to regularly post in the MiceChat forums, including posts critical of Disney -- but no more.

In Al's day, the MiceChat masthead logo was "A Different Take On Disney."

It was changed to "The Happiest Place in Cyberspace."
                            "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                            Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                            imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                            until Thor told it to me."
                            -
                            Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Does anyone have information on the future of Miceage?
                              The communication channels are still open, but there has been no new information. I do not know why. I do not know the future of MiceAge.

Comment

We could only do this (possibly) if we were certain that we would never receive new information. At this point, that is not the case.

FWIW, I am only answering these questions because I do have limited knowledge of the subject, and I don't think anything I am sharing is confidential. If you want more info, PM Dusty Sage.

Comment

I certainly hope it's not the case that Micechat is being blackballed by Disney.
                                  MiceChat is not being blackballed by Disney.

Comment

Micechat is still a great website but yeah, the glory days have past.
                                    Maybe. Maybe not. If MiceChat's "glory days" truly have passed, it's not solely because of the absence of the MiceAge articles. There are numerous other factors that are contributing to the decline of forums everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Along with Al, MiceAge columnists like Kevin Yee and Andy Castro, who cast a critical eye on Disney, are gone. Dusty, the site's owner, used to regularly post in the MiceChat forums, including posts critical of Disney -- but no more.

In Al's day, the MiceChat masthead logo was "A Different Take On Disney."

It was changed to "The Happiest Place in Cyberspace."
                                      That has been the motto for a while now(a decade maybe?). I think it might of been a counter-response to TDA after Disney decided to use "Where Dreams are Made", instead of "The Happiest Place on Earth" in a past promotion.

That said there is a bit of irony with the current slogan, but I'm should not rush to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

Until Pixar Fest, MiceChat had never been officially invited to ANY Disney press event - EVER. (Not yelling, just emphasizing and too lazy to underline.) I loved the fact that MiceChat was invited to Pixar Fest, and I would love to be invited again to future events, but I can assure you that this new relationship does not change MiceChat's voice or purpose.

I will admit, strictly on a personal level and not speaking in an official capacity for MiceChat, that being invited to a press event does soften my criticism of certain things. That should not matter because I don't write any articles. I just take pictures. This is true for Disney, Knott's, and Six Flags. If they invite me to a preview or press event, I am only going to focus on the positive.

Comment

Working...
                                        X