Disneyland - Miceage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

Until Pixar Fest, MiceChat had never been officially invited to ANY Disney press event - EVER. (Not yelling, just emphasizing and too lazy to underline.) I loved the fact that MiceChat was invited to Pixar Fest, and I would love to be invited again to future events, but I can assure you that this new relationship does not change MiceChat's voice or purpose.

I will admit, strictly on a personal level and not speaking in an official capacity for MiceChat, that being invited to a press event does soften my criticism of certain things. That should not matter because I don't write any articles. I just take pictures. This is true for Disney, Knott's, and Six Flags. If they invite me to a preview or press event, I am only going to focus on the positive.
    I have to admit, I was very surprised by the tone of the Micechat Pixar Fest updates. They've been surprisingly light on criticism, especially for a promotion that reeks of cheapness. Sometimes, being critical can get carried away, but in the case of Pixar Fest, I'm surprised there wasn't a bit more skepticism over the promotion.

When I found out that Micechat had been invited to the press event, I instantly understood why.

Comment

Originally posted by ajburk97 View Post
      I have to admit, I was very surprised by the tone of the Micechat Pixar Fest updates. They've been surprisingly light on criticism, especially for a promotion that reeks of cheapness. Sometimes, being critical can get carried away, but in the case of Pixar Fest, I'm surprised there wasn't a bit more skepticism over the promotion.

When I found out that Micechat had been invited to the press event, I instantly understood why.
      Yup. And earlier than that, I noticed the softening of MiceAge criticism when MiceAge started participating in D23.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

Comment

We could only do this (possibly) if we were certain that we would never receive new information. At this point, that is not the case.

FWIW, I am only answering these questions because I do have limited knowledge of the subject, and I don't think anything I am sharing is confidential. If you want more info, PM Dusty Sage.
        I appreciate the replies and that’s good to know. Looking forward to more miceage updates. They were what originally drew me to this site, and in Disney’s current age of opulence, you could argue the miceage voice is more relevant than ever.

For the record, I have been critcal of some of the pot shots miceage has taken at execs (perhaps my own bias given my background), but in the end, I do recognize the value of diverse opinions.

Comment

I will admit, strictly on a personal level and not speaking in an official capacity for MiceChat, that being invited to a press event does soften my criticism of certain things. That should not matter because I don't write any articles. I just take pictures. This is true for Disney, Knott's, and Six Flags. If they invite me to a preview or press event, I am only going to focus on the positive.
          Exactly my point PhotoMatt. Disney should be embracing micechat as it drives interest. And the more access they give you, the more likely you are to feel compelled to return the favor. It’s simply good business.

And you know what, if you get to go to a press event, eat some nice food, and see some cool stuff, as a true fan, I say good for you. Let’s not lose perspective here, this is a Disney fan site, we are not selling arms to terrorists or drugs to kids. This is supposed to be fun - embrace and enjoy it!

Comment

Maybe. Maybe not. If MiceChat's "glory days" truly have passed, it's not solely because of the absence of the MiceAge articles. There are numerous other factors that are contributing to the decline of forums everywhere.
            I was talking about the main site only, not the forums.
            "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

Comment

Maybe. Maybe not. If MiceChat's "glory days" truly have passed, it's not solely because of the absence of the MiceAge articles. There are numerous other factors that are contributing to the decline of forums everywhere.
              Yes, those "other factors" as Fresh Baked mentioned. Let's not forget those.

Comment

Originally posted by ajburk97 View Post

I skipped through their recent upload to find it. At the end, he says that he was joking. 24 mins 50 seconds
                Doubt he was joking, he's just a nice guy trying to be a nice as possible when addressing the 500lb. gorilla in the room that everyone sees.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Lee View Post
                  Doubt he was joking, he's just a nice guy trying to be a nice as possible when addressing the 500lb. gorilla in the room that everyone sees.
                  Whining about "negativity" has been S.O.P. since the earliest days of Al Lutz on Usenet. No matter how low management stooped to slash Disneyland's quality, there were Disney Defenders riding to the corporate rescue at every criticism, outraged at the "negativity." Nothing has changed since those days.

The 500lb. gorilla in the room is Disney Corp. Everybody knows how they treated the the L.A. Times when it gave a bad review.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Whining about "negativity" has been S.O.P. since the earliest days of Al Lutz on Usenet. No matter how low management stooped to slash Disneyland's quality, there were Disney Defenders riding to the corporate rescue at every criticism, outraged at the "negativity." Nothing has changed since those days.

The 500lb. gorilla in the room is Disney Corp. Everybody knows how they treated the the L.A. Times when it gave a bad review.
                    Personally, I like the diversity of opinion (aka negativity), and that attracts me to this site. However, I would not be so dismissive with regard to its impact on others. At its core, Disney Parks offer escapism, and many come here intitally, like I did, to get information on the parks and share the good vibes. In the end, it seems to be self selecting - people who like debate/edgy-ness hang around and others move along.

If I were running this site, I would want to cast the widest possible net, so Micechat should take notice when other popular bloggers point out the obvious - sometimes this can be a rough crowd. Many of the things people continually complain about, the corporate penny pinching, have been going on for decades, before many on this site were even born, and are now just a fact of life. That’s all they know. I can see how complaining about the good old days can get.... well, old.

Should micechat change anything, that a much tougher question. Do you risk upsetting your base in the hopes of attracting new users?

Comment

I wasn't talking about "Disney management or Al Lutz", neither was Fresh Baked. Oblivious is a good term here.

Comment

Yeah I miss the Mice Age columns as well. I think like a lot of people those are what made me come to this site in the first place.

But I also think its just a sign of the time now. There is just a lot more sites today and now that Disney released its own blog with actual official information a lot of people just go straight to the source whenever a new project is being discussed. Of course the difference is the mice age blog was more rounded in its reporting and gave you both the good and bad but I don't think that is as important today to the average Disney fan. Also why I think Mice Chat is dying out a bit in general.

But I still love reading them. I hope we see more but my guess is there will only be a few a year at best now because the readership has dwindled in general.

Comment

Originally posted by BW1 View Post

Personally, I like the diversity of opinion (aka negativity), and that attracts me to this site. However, I would not be so dismissive with regard to its impact on others. At its core, Disney Parks offer escapism, and many come here intitally, like I did, to get information on the parks and share the good vibes. In the end, it seems to be self selecting - people who like debate/edgy-ness hang around and others move along.

If I were running this site, I would want to cast the widest possible net, so Micechat should take notice when other popular bloggers point out the obvious - sometimes this can be a rough crowd. Many of the things people continually complain about, the corporate penny pinching, have been going on for decades, before many on this site were even born, and are now just a fact of life. That’s all they know. I can see how complaining about the good old days can get.... well, old.

Should micechat change anything, that a much tougher question. Do you risk upsetting your base in the hopes of attracting new users?
                          I think this is a great point. I think heaving the negative as well as the positive are both good but when its too much of both it can certainly drive people away. I think MC was maybe a bit more negative than other sites, but not in a bad way, its good to be critical of course. But same time if people feel they are getting attacked for being too positive then its easy for those people to leave. And of course vice versa. But end of the day its just about a balance. I'm far more positive about Disney as pretty much everyone I know loves it including my 70 year old mother who first went to Disneyland five months after the park opens and still loves it just as much today. And why I love it so much. So for many people, the place is still just as great as its always been and she accept things just change in time. Thats what theme parks do to survive.

And yes a lot of these things have been around a long time now so for most people its just a shrug. It doesn't mean things can't change but for a lot of people under 30 its always been that way to them so there is nothing to change in their view if they been fans since they were kids.

But I like MC because you do get a bit of both. I was on one site that is much bigger than this one for years and I finally left because it felt too cheery all the time. It felt as if Disney could do no wrong and the posts just got too boring and predictable so for even some pro-Disney fans like me too much pixie dust can be bad as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BW1 View Post
                            ...In the end, it seems to be self selecting - people who like debate/edgy-ness hang around and others move along.
                            The reality of the forum is just the opposite. The majority of Disney critics who used to post on this forum have gone. The Disney critics who wrote articles for MiceAge have gone.

What's left is obvious from a scan of the first few pages of the DLR forum index: Month after month, year after year, threads critical of Disney are in the vast minority.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

The reality of the forum is just the opposite. The majority of Disney critics who used to post on this forum have gone. The Disney critics who wrote articles for MiceAge have gone.

What's left is obvious from a scan of the first few pages of the DLR forum index: Month after month, year after year, threads critical of Disney are in the vast minority.

I guess you can just argue a lot of those people have probably just moved on from Disney altogether since they have lost any real drive to enjoy it anymore. That is the other side of constant criticism where it finally gets to a point you realize what's the point? And just move on to another hobby or something you simply enjoy more.

And that's not a bad thing either obviously. Sometimes we forget this is just suppose to be fun escapism at the end of the day. If you are no longer getting any joy out of it then yeah it makes sense to move on which I'm guessing a lot of these people have.
                              Last edited by Fctiger; 04-25-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I think its a combination of things that have the forums not as active as when I joined ten years ago.

1) DCA was getting huge and good updates coming we were all excited because many of the changes were agreed to be good moves
                                2) Its a really negative time in the world right now, and with people who like to be honest and have standards still like to post many who have a more "I love everything" attitude don't want to hear it when many of other things are so much unfun to talk about why bring more what could be seen as negatively to thier lives.
                                3) Facebook/Youtube Offer other places to talk about Disney and even go more specific into things you love like say a Train Facebook group or Vintage Disney Group.
                                4) Forums aren't the hot thing any more, because of facebook and Reddit and so on.

With all these factors combined along with the fact that Disney even ten years ago didn't own Marvel/Star Wars which created some divides amoung disney fans it sadly makes sense the community isn't (at least on the foums) as active.
                                Right now is a good time to be on with Pixar Fest, Star Wars right around the corner, Marvel land and DTD changing.
                                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I noticed the softening of MiceAge criticism when MiceAge started participating in D23.
                                  I noticed it a bit then, as well.

Comment

I love MiceAge updates for an insider's scoop on future planning, criticism of a penny-pinching corporate landscape, and the work life of the common castmember. It's too bad readership has gone and would love if photomatt or another insider chime in as to a decline in forum use. JarodDRaggon's comment that it's because of social media makes sense to me. Does it have anything to do with less in-depth commentary?

Comment

Originally posted by kjorgensen43 View Post
                                      I love MiceAge updates for an insider's scoop on future planning, criticism of a penny-pinching corporate landscape, and the work life of the common castmember. It's too bad readership has gone and would love if photomatt or another insider chime in as to a decline in forum use. JarodDRaggon's comment that it's because of social media makes sense to me. Does it have anything to do with less in-depth commentary?
                                      PhotoMatt had posts on this topic in the thread, "Is MiceChat dying?".

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

I sure do miss.......Al Lutz-and other MiceAge columnists like Kevin Yee and Andy Castro,
                                        who cast a critical eye on DISNEY !
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                                          I sure do miss.......Al Lutz-and other MiceAge columnists like Kevin Yee and Andy Castro,
                                          who cast a critical eye on DISNEY !
                                          Yep. Al, Kevin, and Andy had very different approaches to their writing on MiceAge. But in all the years their work appeared on the site, they had one thing in common: the scornful, belittling attacks they got from defenders of Disney management.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Working...
                                          X