Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the ParkingLot not going to be open before Star Wars Land, maybe even Marvel Land?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Is the ParkingLot not going to be open before Star Wars Land, maybe even Marvel Land?

They have yet to start construction on the parking lot accross Habor Blvd. So does this mean they really aren't going to have it open before Star Wars Land and possibly Marvel Land?

If so how have they not found a solution to get that parking lot to break ground?
    Happy Halloween!!!

They already announced they had dropped plans for that parking structure. Instead, they're currently building a whole new parking structure on the plot of the former Pinocchio lot at Mickey and Friends. That lot should be open before SWL opens.

Comment

Originally posted by Nirya View Post
      They already announced they had dropped plans for that parking structure. Instead, they're currently building a whole new parking structure on the plot of the former Pinocchio lot at Mickey and Friends. That lot should be open before SWL opens.
      I be surprise........SW/GE opens in other year........
      Disney needs get to work on it ....SOON !
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Nirya View Post
        But how many spaces is going to have? They clearly need more than 10 if not 20 thousand more spaces in the coming years
        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I be surprise........SW/GE opens in other year........
          Disney needs get to work on it ....SOON !
          They have already started it, about two months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

But how many spaces is going to have? They clearly need more than 10 if not 20 thousand more spaces in the coming years
            According to the release they posted last year the new structure will have 6,500 spaces

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...eyland-resort/

Comment

The Eastern Gateway project was abandoned after too much resistance from local Anaheim businesses who voiced their opposition to the Anaheim City Council. The city council, representing their constituents, appears to have a slight majority that is not inclined to green-light everything Disney does without careful consideration from their voters. One vote, or one seat, determines that majority, and I believe that seat was decided by less than 100 votes in the last general election.

Maybe Disney is waiting to see if they can flip 100 or so voters and get the original plan for the Eastern Gateway built without needing to change anything. However, based on the constant press Disney has received about workers wages and contract disputes in Anaheim, I'm surprised they haven't managed the PR better. I would presume cast members that live in Anaheim care about those issues. Maybe Disney is waiting until closer to the next election to raise wages. Disney seems like it still has a large enough pool of applicants to apply for most cast member positions without raising wages, but we'll see if Star Wars land changes that. From what I hear, however, skilled-labor Disney employees based in Anaheim have turned over a lot recently due to poor wages and working conditions, resulting in a shortage. That will certainly trickle down to the rest of the cast members. Whether one believes Disney should raise wages or treat employees better compared with how they do now, this is the reality that Disney faces, and this is why parking at the resort will be impacted for years to come.

The 6,500-space garage will certainly help the problem, but I would be willing to bet that both DCA and Disneyland might both reach maximum capacity at some point in 2019 after Star Wars land opens.

Comment

Originally posted by DLMountainFan View Post

According to the release they posted last year the new structure will have 6,500 spaces

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...eyland-resort/
                I mean I feel like Star Warsland opening summer will draw in more than enough to fill those spots...but cool its more than a few thousand
                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

There is a recent new sign where you load on to the trams in the parking structure about the new one being built. It says it will be ready in 2019 and offer “accelerated parking”, what ever that means.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroJeff View Post
                    There is a recent new sign where you load on to the trams in the parking structure about the new one being built. It says it will be ready in 2019 and offer “accelerated parking”, what ever that means.
                    I mean Ive seen that but, like I said before 6 thousand spaces is not going to cut it Star Wars land is going to make sure Disneyland is at 90+ Percent capacity all summer if not until after Christmas
                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

The best solution is to turn the Cast Member parking lot (K Lot) into an extension of the Toy Story lot. Then they should turn that huge plot of land that was to have been the Eastern Gateway and make it the new Cast Member parking area. Cast Members could then walk to work via the abandoned Carousel Inn that Disney owns. It doesn't have to look pretty. It just needs to get them out to Harbor. Of course the better option is to tear down the Carousel Inn and build that bridge across Harbor. Since all this would be for Cast Members only, there's no way the local businesses can complain because CMs are not their bread and butter customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                        The best solution is to turn the Cast Member parking lot (K Lot) into an extension of the Toy Story lot. Then they should turn that huge plot of land that was to have been the Eastern Gateway and make it the new Cast Member parking area. Cast Members could then walk to work via the abandoned Carousel Inn that Disney owns. It doesn't have to look pretty. It just needs to get them out to Harbor. Of course the better option is to tear down the Carousel Inn and build that bridge across Harbor. Since all this would be for Cast Members only, there's no way the local businesses can complain because CMs are not their bread and butter customers.
                        This makes sense they could also run a tram for CM's since there is a limited volume of people verse guests.

Comment

Has anyone gotten any indication what the increase in Max. Capacity SWGE will allow? I think this is also something to consider to know the true level of overcrowding that will be coming.

Comment

I would guess if using a (low), average of 2 people per car, the new parking would accommodate another 13,000 people. Would Star Wars land need to accomodate more than that?

Comment

Additionally, Disney is planning a 2nd (albeit minor) parking garage for the 4th hotel. And while it won't be open by SWGE (as the hotel won't open until 2021), at least they are covering the base for the hotel. Granted, it doesn't fix the problem, but will prevent future headaches for the hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                Has anyone gotten any indication what the increase in Max. Capacity SWGE will allow? I think this is also something to consider to know the true level of overcrowding that will be coming.
                                I think people will overflow into DCA and DTD

Look at Racers still 90 mins more days after 3 years....Star Wars land is going to be busy the first year and a half because its going to flow from summer to winter and even in the spring it will be stlll new and then back to the next summer when Marvel land opens....going to be nuts
                                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

This makes sense they could also run a tram for CM's since there is a limited volume of people verse guests.
                                  If the Eastern Gateway AND a bridge across Harbor were built for Cast Members, there would literally be no need for a shuttle bus because the bridge takes them right to Harbor Pointe (CM entry point). It would be pure heaven because those CM buses are the worst. Up to a half hour just to travel one mile? Forget that!

Comment

If the Eastern Gateway AND a bridge across Harbor were built for Cast Members, there would literally be no need for a shuttle bus because the bridge takes them right to Harbor Pointe (CM entry point). It would be pure heaven because those CM buses are the worst. Up to a half hour just to travel one mile? Forget that!
                                    I feel like a bean counter by saying it(and please don't hate me for it), but if parking for CMs was moved to the Carousel lot, then I don't think they would put a bridge over Harbor for it. The reasons why would be:

1. CMs are most likely coming and going at varying times of the day and not all at once(compared to the masses of guests leaving at night). Because of this, the traffic patterns wouldn't be affected much the added parking

2. They would have to reorganize backstage to accommodate the overpass bridge, as it would to connect directly to backstage.

3. There would be no direct return investment, as it would be only be benefiting employees and not paying customers.

The only kind of bridge that could happen now, would be a public pedestrian bridge, that would be open on both sides of Harbor Blvd.(like the bridge below) and not direct overpass.

On a another note, the lot would have to be gated with security or have card reader gates, to prevent the public from parking in the lot.
                                    Precept Services Pty Ltd Case Study: Heathcote Pedestrian Bridge

Comment

This is what should have been done from the beginning IMO instead of all the time they wasted fighting with the city. The fact that DLR is a consolidated resort, it only makes sense that all the guest parking be consolidated too. Imagine having to drive to three different areas just to be told one parking lot is full and you need to drive elsewhere. That would be quite a pain. Yes I know this will make the west side crowded but at least I would only need to go to one area.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                                        This is what should have been done from the beginning IMO instead of all the time they wasted fighting with the city. The fact that DLR is a consolidated resort, it only makes sense that all the guest parking be consolidated too. Imagine having to drive to three different areas just to be told one parking lot is full and you need to drive elsewhere. That would be quite a pain. Yes I know this will make the west side crowded but at least I would only need to go to one area.
                                        WEST side going be Crowded-and a nightmare mess !
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Working...
                                        X