Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Annual Passport...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RIP Annual Passport...

    After 31 years of having an annual passport, I am officially without one now! My pass expired yesterday (4/25/18) and I chose not to renew, at least for now. And oddly enough, I'm perfectly OK with not having a pass at the moment. My last trip to the Resort was on Sunday, 4/22 and it was then that I decided I needed a break. My reason for not renewing isn't because of the money, but the "feeling" I've been getting when going to the Parks. The sense of magic and nostalgia is gone, mainly because of the excessive crowds ALL the time, the rudeness and entitlement I see in today's guests when I've been there, and the direction in which I see the Disneyland Resort going. Of course, these are just my opinions and how I feel, but it's enough for me to take a break. I suppose after 31 years, this was bound to happen.

    I remember the excitement and joy I felt when I first purchased my annual pass in the Summer of 1987. It was the year Disneyland was celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. They had a special parade and stage show for the occasion, and since I've always been about stages shows and parades, it was even more magical for me to have an annual pass at that time. It was also a time where I began to meet so many new friends who also had annual passes...friends I still know and keep in contact today. And in the 80's and 90's, Disneyland actually had "off seasons" where you could really enjoy the Park and not have the massive crowds to contend with. Plus, there was a sense of pride when you were a guest in the Park, and especially if you were a cast member working there at the time. So much as changed since then, and sadly, not all of it has been for the better.

    When it comes to Disneyland, I feel Walt's original Park should be more preserved and maintained in true Disney style. Unfortunately, when you have things like, "Pixar Fest" and the up-coming Star Wars Land, it tends to lose the Disney magic that was once so apparent throughout the Park. I'm not saying these elements are not needed or bad, but they don't belong at Disneyland. If we had a 3rd Park, I would be all for Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, etc. to have their own home. But cramming everything into Disneyland & DCA is just too much, in my opinion. And of course, more reasons to have massive over-crowding ALL the time now. There's absolutely no enjoyment when you're dealing with so many guests in the Parks at one time. And sadly, this has been the "norm" for so many years, and it won't get any better...but worse. Today's youth will never understand the joy of being in the Park on an "off season" day/week/month and really get to experience the Park as it was meant to be.

    Perhaps I'm jaded now and been going too long, and I accept that. So it's actually nice to have this "time off" and work up the anticipation of going back to the Disneyland Resort again and try to renew my sense of excitement that I once used to have. So to all of you who still love going to the Parks and have a great time, more power to you! I think it's wonderful that you haven't lost that magic!! And after some time off, I hope to gain that magic back myself.

    DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

  • #2
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

    I actually had this same feeling back in 91'. I did not have an AP but had been going at least once a year since the early 70's. I actually stayed away for a lil over 20 years before going back for my kids to let them experience the magic. The looks on their faces and twinkles in their eyes re-kindled my affection for the park. There are still glimpses here and there of the old park that once brought me so much wonder. The new park has a lot of things that do not really excite me but I can now see things through my children eyes and they allow me to get some of that joy back I thought I would never experience again. Their new enthusiasm combined with my own nostalgia have brought me back and I have had an AP for years now. Once my kids become too jaded to the point where they no longer desire going my enthusiasm could wain and I could disconnect once again.
    Last edited by Starcade; 04-26-2018, 08:17 AM.

    Comment


    • #3

      I glad...I give up my AP........ I took my soul back .
      There more to life than Disney !
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
        When it comes to Disneyland, I feel Walt's original Park should be more preserved and maintained in true (Walt) Disney style.
        Exactly. The park and any other built, should be built and maintained following Walt Disney’s original values, philosophies, ideals, and formulas. His philosophies and ideals were revolutionary in terms of amusement park design, and were why Disneyland was so special and successful in the first place. These values were maintained from day one until Eisner came on board. The problem is twofold: Disneyland has gone from a labor of love to a a small part of a greedy, money hungry conglomerate. Everything is done in pursuit of the almighty dollar. Secondly, younger generations have only known Disneyland in Eisner mode, and don’t understand, don’t appreciate, don’t know it any differently. It’s saddening.

        As for now, there is still much original magic that remains, but the process of erosion continues. Sometimes so subtle it can be easy to overlook, and at other times it’s a landslide. I still hope one day the Walt Disney Company will have a CEO again who is steeped in Disney history, understands Walt Disney’s original ideals, values, and philosophies, and can and will return Disney and Disneyland to what it once was and stood for.

        Comment


        • #5

          I will be so happy when they get to a point where they manage the guest experience much better. My pass went up in January, I do miss it a lot but not until recently, but that's OK. It's not permanent and it's nice to take a break now especially with no incentive to renew. It makes the choice easier and it's good for peace of mind to take a break.

          Comment


          • #6
            I to have let mine lapse for many reasons you stated. The wife and I had a run in with Disney security and Disney's so sad, to bad attitude really led to our decision. That coupled with the crowds and constant construction. Maybe after SWL is done we can go back. For now, I monitor the ride time app and just see the crowding getting worse.
            My wife is the rebel spy.

            Comment


            • #7
              I save the Memory......and the Magic from those time !

              Today the whole Walt Disney Company and leadership ,have gone a different road....
              One can see it at the Parks.......and the same joy and experience has disappear
              and Walt Disney’s original ideals, values, and philosophies as well.

              Current management team is making choices, such as brand acquisitions,
              alter the tone and tenor of the parks. and the over crowding, have gotten to be to much
              I fear it going get worst...not better IMO

              So for me , I find other entertainment knowing -There more to life than Disney !
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • #8
                1987 was my first year ever visiting Disneyland, and my has it changed since then. The park, the crowds, the management...
                I try to keep my visits no more than 1 time a year (sometimes 2 if I'm lucky, and, since I live farther away now, once a year if I'm lucky) on purpose, because I like for the magic to stay fresh. When I used to live near the WDFM and visit every weekend, the thrill wore off quick, and I'd never wish that on my favorite park.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Great Post OP. The 80's and early 90's were the hayday of Disneyland, well before DCA and all the "extras". Sadly, it will never be the same unless a Super Rich single person like Warren Buffett who LOVES the original Disneyland buys it back from the current owners and downsizes. But that is wishful thinking.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm pretty much the Disney geek in our family, and my daughter still loves going. Wife is not too trilled at this time. So, it looks like it'll be me and daughter for a while.
                    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Overwhelming numbers of local APs have washed away the magic that was once Disneyland. As little as 10 years ago it was still a special place, where each visit felt like the first time. But around 10 years ago AP numbers skyrocketed as the result of the monthly payment plan. And along with it, a different "type" of park visitor. One who would never go there if it wasn't made dirt cheap by the chump change monthly payments.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I liked having my AP when the parks were not too crowded and faitly priced....I just don't care for how much they cost for the amount of crowds there.

                        Wish they could just limit the number of APs or just limited the number of vists on the card to make it where people who want t go once a month can but once a week, I am fine with eliminating that.




                        Happy Halloween!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yea I have also decided not to renew after my passes expire in Sept this yr. Was at the parks yesterday, and the feel a lot of the magic that we use to experience just 4 yrs ago is mostly gone! When a bottle of freakin sunscreen costs over $17...theirs a serious over inflation problem and I know there has been, but this was just a so-real moment for myself and my wife. And along with everything else that most folks have mentioned in this post (rude a$$ people and CM's, constant construction, over crowding and just the lack on Disneys part to do "ANYTHING" with TomorrowLand) Just kind of over everything..same old repetitive rides and experiences...I'll pocked my $200 bux a month and experience other magical opportunities for now

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So...first it was not wanting to go back into the park the next morning when we were staying overnight. (OK...dreading going back into the park.) Then DH asked if I want one last trip before APs expire and I said, "Naw."

                            This is seriously screwed up. I love my DL and it has come to this??? So, no, no renewal of the AP. They need to get their act together.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Pips View Post
                              So...first it was not wanting to go back into the park the next morning when we were staying overnight. (OK...dreading going back into the park.) Then DH asked if I want one last trip before APs expire and I said, "Naw."

                              This is seriously screwed up. I love my DL and it has come to this??? So, no, no renewal of the AP. They need to get their act together.
                              I recall....when you renewal your AP after some years.......how excited you was........
                              I Sorry........I do know , how you feel....... and you was asking ........WERE the MAGIC ?
                              The Parks ,the company ,the leadership is not the same........repetitive rides and experiences...and long lines .
                              You know when you dread it....it time move on .
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                                Overwhelming numbers of local APs have washed away the magic that was once Disneyland. As little as 10 years ago it was still a special place, where each visit felt like the first time. But around 10 years ago AP numbers skyrocketed as the result of the monthly payment plan. And along with it, a different "type" of park visitor. One who would never go there if it wasn't made dirt cheap by the chump change monthly payments.
                                I noticed the exact same thing!

                                This is the sole reason I haven't visited for several years.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  I like the parks better
                                  now than the old days. When I used to go once a year in the eighties and nineties, a lot of entertainment was corny. New movies in the eighties were not good. I used to go and be told about changes and I didn’t even notice because I forgot a lot between visits. Now, with the internet, I know of all the new things to do before each visit so I get a different park experience instead of doing the same thing every time. With new technology, I get to capture the memories on video to relive for the rest of my life. I don’t remember a thing about any of the visits of my youth. If you want to move on from Disney that’s great. There is a lot to do in this world. If you want to feel the magic again, go with a child. Their Disneyland experience now is no different from your Disneyland memories from when you were a kid. Maybe more crowds than before (which they won’t know about) but also more sophisticated and impressive rides and shows.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
                                    After 31 years of having an annual passport, I am officially without one now! My pass expired yesterday (4/25/18) and I chose not to renew, at least for now. And oddly enough, I'm perfectly OK with not having a pass at the moment. My last trip to the Resort was on Sunday, 4/22 and it was then that I decided I needed a break. My reason for not renewing isn't because of the money, but the "feeling" I've been getting when going to the Parks. The sense of magic and nostalgia is gone, mainly because of the excessive crowds ALL the time, the rudeness and entitlement I see in today's guests when I've been there, and the direction in which I see the Disneyland Resort going. Of course, these are just my opinions and how I feel, but it's enough for me to take a break. I suppose after 31 years, this was bound to happen.

                                    I remember the excitement and joy I felt when I first purchased my annual pass in the Summer of 1987. It was the year Disneyland was celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. They had a special parade and stage show for the occasion, and since I've always been about stages shows and parades, it was even more magical for me to have an annual pass at that time. It was also a time where I began to meet so many new friends who also had annual passes...friends I still know and keep in contact today. And in the 80's and 90's, Disneyland actually had "off seasons" where you could really enjoy the Park and not have the massive crowds to contend with. Plus, there was a sense of pride when you were a guest in the Park, and especially if you were a cast member working there at the time. So much as changed since then, and sadly, not all of it has been for the better.

                                    When it comes to Disneyland, I feel Walt's original Park should be more preserved and maintained in true Disney style. Unfortunately, when you have things like, "Pixar Fest" and the up-coming Star Wars Land, it tends to lose the Disney magic that was once so apparent throughout the Park. I'm not saying these elements are not needed or bad, but they don't belong at Disneyland. If we had a 3rd Park, I would be all for Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, etc. to have their own home. But cramming everything into Disneyland & DCA is just too much, in my opinion. And of course, more reasons to have massive over-crowding ALL the time now. There's absolutely no enjoyment when you're dealing with so many guests in the Parks at one time. And sadly, this has been the "norm" for so many years, and it won't get any better...but worse. Today's youth will never understand the joy of being in the Park on an "off season" day/week/month and really get to experience the Park as it was meant to be.

                                    Perhaps I'm jaded now and been going too long, and I accept that. So it's actually nice to have this "time off" and work up the anticipation of going back to the Disneyland Resort again and try to renew my sense of excitement that I once used to have. So to all of you who still love going to the Parks and have a great time, more power to you! I think it's wonderful that you haven't lost that magic!! And after some time off, I hope to gain that magic back myself.
                                    My feelings exactly. Last year, I got my first AP since 2009 (Signature) and had a blast as I shared with special friends the magic of Disneyland and the return engagement of the Main Street Electrical Parade. Having MSEP back at Disneyland brought back that magic that made you want to be at Disneyland again. I went to the park to celebrate A new chapter in my life with special friends (including a love interest) and family and sometimes, solo. I also had the opportunity to run into friends whom I worked with when I was a Cast Member (1998-2005).

                                    When it came to Disneyland Park, I always embrace the good old aspects of the Park that made it special for me. It was a treat to see the Disneyland Railroad again and Fantasmic after years of not seeing it for so long. But, upon hearing news about this year’s changes in the Parks and Downtown Disney as well as the price hikes and the crowds, I feel that the Resort is getting to the “jumping the shark” mode. Also, I chose NOT to renew or return until next year to get over someone I spent most of my year there with. I’d hope dsomething would have grown out of dates at the Parks but alas, no happily ever after came out of it (another story). On a happy note, I did find a special someone and I did get to spend ONE day with that person and we will return in the future. But for now, I’ll be enjoying things outside of DIsneyland but will enjoy DIsney-related hobbies such as vinyl records (including theme park picture discs), travleling with my special someone, etc.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Thank you for your well-written post! I'm new here, but I understand what you're going through as I gave up my pass a few years ago. I'd been going maybe 10 times a year, and during the last three years I still went at least once a year, usually twice. This summer I'm renewing my claim as a passholder though, because after all that time, the magic does return. I have the same qualms as you. Locals who treat it as a mall, Instagrammers who treat it as a photography shoot, flash photographers in dark rides, YouTubers who walk backward while they're walking and filming and bumping into me... It's all gotten kind of stale to me. Not to mention the excessive crowds. But like I said, I'm getting a pass again because even with all that, the need to go more did return for me, and I hope it returns to you after a hiatus as well. It is so sad when the poor and inconsiderate conduct of others tarnishes something as special as a Disneyland connection, but I believe in a magical return for you!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by CherryMouse View Post
                                        Thank you for your well-written post! I'm new here, but I understand what you're going through as I gave up my pass a few years ago. I'd been going maybe 10 times a year, and during the last three years I still went at least once a year, usually twice. This summer I'm renewing my claim as a passholder though, because after all that time, the magic does return. I have the same qualms as you. Locals who treat it as a mall, Instagrammers who treat it as a photography shoot, flash photographers in dark rides, YouTubers who walk backward while they're walking and filming and bumping into me... It's all gotten kind of stale to me. Not to mention the excessive crowds. But like I said, I'm getting a pass again because even with all that, the need to go more did return for me, and I hope it returns to you after a hiatus as well. It is so sad when the poor and inconsiderate conduct of others tarnishes something as special as a Disneyland connection, but I believe in a magical return for you!
                                        Thank YOU for understanding and relating to what I'm feeling these days. Fortunately, I know quite a few people who work for Disney who are able to sign me in if/when I feel the urge to go again. So I'm in no rush to get an annual pass at this point, but I'm sure I'll renew again when the time is right. I'm happy to hear you're renewing your pass after a long hiatus of not having one. Enjoy the magic again and have a wonderful time!!!
                                        DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X