X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • order 1966
    • Apr 2014

[Rumor] Fate of Annual Passes

I am starting a rumor. Since we are approaching the one year mark before Galaxy's Edge opens and I doubt they want passholder filling either one of the parks, who else thinks its possible they will get rid of annual passes altogether. They will make more money with four month long "season" passes for spring/summer or fall/winter with different price levels for sundays only, weekdays only, or any day. They have already started doing this in Shanghai Disneyland and I don't see why they won't do it here. I am surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this moving to our park on the forum before.
  • tarheelalum
    Mice chatter
    • Apr 2015

They won't do it at Disneyland because they make tons of money from annual pass holders.

Comment

• order 1966
      • Apr 2014

But they will make more if passes are good for 4-6 months instead of a whole year. People will have to buy passes more than once a year if they want to go regularly all year. It just seems like something they would do to get their Star Wars Land investment back quicker.

Comment

• Golden Zephyr
        Mice Chatter
        • May 2015

They already have this in lower level passes. You can't treat the AP program as a monolith. There are multiple levels/tiers of passes which represent very different customer segments. There is little in common between a Signature Plus passholder and a SoCal Select, they are totally different markets.

The program will continue and I think that it is easy to overestimate the draw of Star Wars GE. While it will no doubt be popular at first, that initial rush will die down quickly, I believe that some greatly overestimate just how much people are going to be drawn to it. It will be a bump, a significant one, but it also represents additional capacity and will not likely overwhelm the park IMO.

Comment

• Eagleman
          Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Parking Price , will also go up.....as well
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• 9oldmen
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
            The program will continue and I think that it is easy to overestimate the draw of Star Wars GE. While it will no doubt be popular at first, that initial rush will die down quickly, I believe that some greatly overestimate just how much people are going to be drawn to it. I
            Another thing people keep forgetting is that it is opening on both coasts at nearly the same time. If you're from the East Coast, or from out of the country, where are you most likely to go? The Disneyland Resort where you can visit Batuu, or WDW where you can visit Batuu, and Pandora, and Toy Story Land, and Hogsmeade, etc.
            No doubt the DLR will be crowded, but it shouldn't be quite as bad as when "Potter" first opened in Florida in 2010, and the whole world was flocking to that one place. With Galaxy's Edge, they will have those two options.

Comment

• DLMountainFan
              • Jan 2006

I saw this thread and the first thought that I had was...How many posts will there be before this turns into a "Let's bash the AP holders" thread.

Comment

• order 1966
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by DLMountainFan View Post
                I saw this thread and the first thought that I had was...How many posts will there be before this turns into a "Let's bash the AP holders" thread.
                I hope it doesn’t turn into an AP bashing thread. I was one for a few years and now I just wish I was one.

Comment

• Spongeocto4
                  Banned User

• Jul 2011

This very unlikely to happen. The fact that Disney has special AP areas, special events, ride previews and exclusive merch, shows that TEA knows how lucrative the program is. However, they may enforce a 4 month blackout for all APs except top tier, for Summer 2019.

Comment

• zugzug15
                    Master of Disaster
                    • Jan 2005

they will not get rid of passes... because math. Rumors are that there are close to 1,000,000 passholders... If the deluxe price is close to the average (signature being higher, so cals being lower) thats $700,000,000 a year the parks make... they wont mess with that number. even if I am over estimating its still at least around half a billion dollars a year without any parking or merchandise revenue included.

Comment

• Beavis
                      MiceChatter
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                      Another thing people keep forgetting is that it is opening on both coasts at nearly the same time. If you're from the East Coast, or from out of the country, where are you most likely to go? The Disneyland Resort where you can visit Batuu, or WDW where you can visit Batuu, and Pandora, and Toy Story Land, and Hogsmeade, etc.
                      No doubt the DLR will be crowded, but it shouldn't be quite as bad as when "Potter" first opened in Florida in 2010, and the whole world was flocking to that one place. With Galaxy's Edge, they will have those two options.
                      There's just no comparing this to Harry Potter. The number of Star Wars fans in SoCal alone could easily overwhelm the place. I really think they're going to have to figure out a way to stage and/or restrict APs for the opening season.

Comment

• order 1966
                        • Apr 2014

I’m not saying I think they are getting rid of passholders, just that they might make passes expire in 4-6 months instead of a whole year. Just wait, in a couple years people might be complaining about SP holders clogging the parks-Season Pass Holders. You heard it here first!

Comment

• Natalie Price
                          >
                          • Dec 2016

I don't think the APs will go away. But there will be a change to Annual Passes because Disney has already announced it in February...

“We will be reshaping our Annual Pass program to better manage the guest experience throughout the year, which will help all Disneyland Resort guests have a great visit, particularly as we look forward to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in 2019.”

There are those who say this statement by Disney means nothing, and that they won't do one single thing to the APs. I prefer to believe they said it because they mean it, and that there will be a change geared toward dealing with the problem of the overwhelming AP crowding that will come next summer.

Comment

• Golden Zephyr
                            Mice Chatter
                            • May 2015

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                            I don't think the APs will go away. But there will be a change to Annual Passes because Disney has already announced it in February...

“We will be reshaping our Annual Pass program to better manage the guest experience throughout the year, which will help all Disneyland Resort guests have a great visit, particularly as we look forward to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in 2019.”

There are those who say this statement by Disney means nothing, and that they won't do one single thing to the APs. I prefer to believe they said it because they mean it, and that there will be a change geared toward dealing with the problem of the overwhelming AP crowding that will come next summer.
                            I don't think anyone guesses it means nothing. It always means something, but predicting just what that "something" is, separates wishful thinking from prescient analysis.

Which APs will be affected? (as in what tiers)

How does Disney value each group?

That PR statement could mean anything, they've already made changes in that they are not providing a discount for renewal. Is that what you believe it means?

If not, I am genuinely curious as to what do you think it means? Specifics would be appreciated. Again, wishful thinking is ok, but you affirm that there are "changes" coming, it would be great to say what you think those changes are for documentary purposes to compare when the presupposed changes do in fact come out.

Comment

• Spongeocto4
                              Banned User

• Jul 2011

Originally posted by zugzug15 View Post
                              they will not get rid of passes... because math. Rumors are that there are close to 1,000,000 passholders... If the deluxe price is close to the average (signature being higher, so cals being lower) thats $700,000,000 a year the parks make... they wont mess with that number. even if I am over estimating its still at least around half a billion dollars a year without any parking or merchandise revenue included.
                              Rumor Confirmed. Micechat confirmed this awhile ago. The exponentially rising number of APs has been happening for long time.

Comment

• bigcatrik
                                MiceChatter
                                • May 2012

Originally posted by order 1966 View Post
                                They will make more money with four month long "season" passes for spring/summer or fall/winter with different price levels for sundays only, weekdays only, or any day. They have already started doing this in Shanghai Disneyland and I don't see why they won't do it here.
                                Suits me. For a variety of reasons I'm not interested in going at certain times of the year so an annual pass no longer makes sense, especially at current prices.

Comment

• micromind
                                  world class bilge rat
                                  • Aug 2009

Two things I'm pretty sure of concerning APs.......

1) As long as wall street wants crowded parks, TDC will continue to create new innovative ways to utilize the AP program to ensure even higher crowd levels.

2) If wall street ever decides it wants short lines and uncrowded parks, the AP program will disappear in about 5 minutes.

Comment

• Fctiger
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Aug 2015

APs are going nowhere. They tried to suspend them before DCA opened and that cost them big time, mostly to an empty park. They will never make that mistake again.

Now they may do some different approaches like offer separate APS as Tokyo has done, maybe cancel one (as they also done in the past but brought others back) and obviously raise them higher but they will always be there. Disney doesn't care the parks are crowded. They only care when they are not, ie, DCA early years. If you are an executive and you had to choose between the two trust me when you wouldn't be one for long if you choose the latter.

And as for GE, that was the entire point of building two lands. It's weird how people constantly forget this point. It's not going to be a Harry Potter situation because they have given people the option of two parks to see it. They will both be crowded for awhile like all these places but it will balance out, APs or no APs. But it was smart to give people an option of which resort to visit and not have the entire planet only rain down on one.

Comment

• Blue Lagoon
                                      Banned User
                                      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Fctiger View Post
                                      But it was smart to give people an option of which resort to visit and not have the entire planet only rain down on one.
                                      Disney Corpor@tion didn’t build two for twice the price (anyone get the reference?) because they care about crowds.

Comment

• Fctiger
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Blue Lagoon View Post

Disney Corpor@tion didn’t build two for twice the price (anyone get the reference?) because they care about crowds.
                                        Of course not. I'm only saying the doomsday prediction people will be waiting 20 hours in line won't be as bad because they were smart to give people more options. But I'm sure if enough people are still waiting 20 hours for both it will only tell them they made the right decision in making them.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X