No announcement yet.

Fate of Annual Passes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real rumor is anyone who doesnt have a Signature Annual Pass will be blocked out the entire first summer of Galaxy's Edge opening.

Comment

Originally posted by spfalla View Post
      The real rumor is anyone who doesnt have a Signature Annual Pass will be blocked out the entire first summer of Galaxy's Edge opening.
      Best bet at that point is let your AP expire, get a 3 Day Pass and go early on a day with it then upgrade it to an AP

Then you get both Star Wars land and an AP
      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

All annual passes should be discontinued except the most expensive one. You want that level of access to the park? Pay for it.

This would clear out a ton.

Comment

My guess is that the summer/first year of Galaxy's Edge will have a blockout for APs. Disney will raise general admission prices just before Galaxy's Edge opens to both mitigate some crowds and cash in on the guaranteed attendance (a strategy that didn't work as well with Cars Land).

The real kicker will be whether Disney places an upcharge on access to Galaxy's Edge for non-signature AP holders. Maybe an upcharge half the price of a general admission ticket? That way APs aren't denied total access to the area, but are still rewarded for their loyalty by not needing to pay the full price of a ticket to see the new land. APs can pick and choose whether the upcharge is worth it before the cost is absorbed in regular AP price increases across the board. Disney makes some money from the upcharge and that way Galaxy's Edge will have fewer APs that repeat their visits to the land rather than people who just clog up the Fastpass lanes.

I think it's reasonable to presume that MaxPass' relationship with APs was envisioned as a test to whether this will work. If Disney works in some package combining both upcharges, that could be why there are rumors the land will be MaxPass-only for APs. Time will tell, but as evidenced by that AP program quote from Disney, they are fully aware how severe this problem is and will be taking steps to fix it soon.

Comment

Details aside, the meta-view is clear: the noticeable increase in after-school/after-work crowding, increase in overall crowding, and lack of an "off season," all occurred shortly after the advent of the monthly payment plan.

Disney can (and will) juggle tiers and pricing strategies all they want. But unless they eliminate E-Z Monthly Payments, a day at Disneyland will remain the cheapest venue in town -- and consumers will treat it accordingly.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

Comment

I feel completely confident making two predictions regarding the Disneyland AP program.

1. The program will never be discontinued - ever.

2. For all but the top-tier premium passes, the program will offer progressively decreasing benefits at progressively increasing prices.

Beyond these two things, nothing would really surprise me.

Comment

They may block out APs for some time after GE opens, and then offer them early entry reservations down the road to compensate them. They did something similar (without the blackout) when Carsland first opened.

Comment

Originally posted by longbeachaztec View Post
                  I feel completely confident making two predictions regarding the Disneyland AP program.

1. The program will never be discontinued - ever.

2. For all but the top-tier premium passes, the program will offer progressively decreasing benefits at progressively increasing prices.
                  Bingo. To which I would only add:

3. Total AP sales -- and DLR crowds -- will continue to increase.
                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

Comment

My personal thoughts are that the AP program will be restructured to have only two options. The Sig+ AP and Deluxe. The Deluxe will come with heavy black-out dates while the Sig+ will continue to be unlimited. Also a hefty price increase to go along with the restructuring. The monthly payments will still be available but the Sig and Ca passes will be completely gone.
                    Just my thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. P View Post
                      My personal thoughts are that the AP program will be restructured to have only two options. The Sig+ AP and Deluxe. The Deluxe will come with heavy black-out dates while the Sig+ will continue to be unlimited. Also a hefty price increase to go along with the restructuring. The monthly payments will still be available but the Sig and Ca passes will be completely gone.
                      Just my thoughts
                      I AGREE
                      Disney will get rid the low tiers AP.......So Ca passes will be completely gone
                      Disney can do better with 2 and 3 days pass.
                      and you will see more ,black-out dates on the Deluxe and Sig, were Sig+ will continue to be unlimited

Disney - will keep the monthly payments- for Deluxe- Sig -Sig+
                      A concept ,I do not like....but most Theme and Amusement parks have them.
                      and
                      All Admission and AP's hefty price increase IMHO
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

After I read through this thread, I thought of a couple of articles I had read about the opening of Galaxy's Edge and how Disneyland management will deal with the crowding:

Should Theme Parks Charge Fans More For the Newest Rides?
                        http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201712/5852/

Price vs. Overcrowding vs. Capacity
                        http://www.themeparkinsider.com/disc....cfm?page=1742

Comment

Whatever Disney decides to do we should see some hint in the next month or two as they will need to make announcements now for those about to renew their AP's as changing the blackout days and or limiting their access to any part of the park new or old without prior notice after they agree to to a contract is very bad optics. Yes I know it says in the contract something to effect of [experience can change without notice] etc. but to have people sign up pay for a pass and possibly plan a trip around this to have it change on them 10 months later will not play out well on media of all types. I would argue the day they release press on the how/if they will limit access or increase pass rates will be a good indicator of the week they they plan on opening SWGE.

Comment

Wishful thinking does not a rumor make.
                            Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                              Details aside, the meta-view is clear: the noticeable increase in after-school/after-work crowding, increase in overall crowding, and lack of an "off season," all occurred shortly after the advent of the monthly payment plan.

Disney can (and will) juggle tiers and pricing strategies all they want. But unless they eliminate E-Z Monthly Payments, a day at Disneyland will remain the cheapest venue in town -- and consumers will treat it accordingly.
                              Not that you're necessarily wrong, but correlation does not equal causation.
                              Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                Whatever Disney decides to do we should see some hint in the next month or two as they will need to make announcements now for those about to renew their AP's as changing the blackout days and or limiting their access to any part of the park new or old without prior notice after they agree to to a contract is very bad optics.
                                YEP.......We all should know soon......How Disney going handle AP's.........SW/GE opens next year !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
                                  Wishful thinking does not a rumor make.
                                  right.....
                                  I learn that Disney ,have there own way of thinking !
                                  (like it or not )
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. P View Post
                                    Just my thoughts
                                    I think this will be the case. A Value and an Exclusive AP. However, I think the monthly payments will be removed or only allowed in the lower tier passes, so the park blackouts would be a drawback from using the lower tier.

I wonder if TDA will try* to remedy this by adding new perks(more AP lounges, special events, new merch), to deflect backlash. At least they are working on a solution, and not ignoring the issues of crowds, unlike the infamous OSHA debacle.

*Whether you actually believe TDA will actually try this or not, is up to you.
                                    Last edited by Spongeocto4; 05-03-2018, 09:53 PM. Reason: Added a "space" in my disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                      Whatever Disney decides to do we should see some hint in the next month or two as they will need to make announcements now for those about to renew their AP's as changing the blackout days and or limiting their access to any part of the park new or old without prior notice after they agree to to a contract is very bad optics. Yes I know it says in the contract something to effect of [experience can change without notice] etc. but to have people sign up pay for a pass and possibly plan a trip around this to have it change on them 10 months later will not play out well on media of all types. I would argue the day they release press on the how/if they will limit access or increase pass rates will be a good indicator of the week they they plan on opening SWGE.
                                      ...And because they have that clause, they won't.

From a business perspective, it doesn't make sense to announce/market the AP change now for the summer season, as:
                                      1. SW:GE is still a year away,
                                      2. Marketing is currently focused on Pixar Fest
                                      3. Add to the fact, that there is also no D23 Expo, this Summer, to make an announcement(which would be spun positively or teased)

The most likely time for an announcement, will be early October, when the Company's new Fiscal Year begins.

Granted, they may have a transition period for current APs, to prevent any backlash.

Comment

They should really just develop an addon charge for peak season days on the lower-end APs. Then it's not a blackout so much as a price tier.

Comment

I think the idea of a "season pass" instead of an annual pass sounds like a good option. I've also seen the idea thrown around of having a system where you can buy a number of days, like 10, to use throughout the year, but you only get x amount of each type of day (peak, regular, value). I'm good with just about anything they want to do to manage crowds knowing what a mess SWL will create with masses of people.

Comment

Working...
                                          X