Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the way people used to dress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    If somebody wants to dress vintage ( calling it dressing "up" is subjective ) I think that's their perogative and they should feel free to do so. I am not one to wear costumes or uniforms myself but do appreciate the effort others put into their attire.

    It's not just what people wore to Disneyland it's what people wore on a daily basis that has changed. Athleisure is one of the fastest growing segments in fashion right now especially in CA and NY woman wearing yoga pants and Men wearing cargo shorts is not going anywhere anytime soon as the genie is out of the bottle on those trends. I think people evolving into comfort over appearance is a good thing not a negative. A tie while looking nice is really becoming dated. I will admit that some probably take things too far and they become borderline inappropriate but attire is subjective and there is no one authority on where the lines are drawn. There are parts of the world where the culture is different and the entire workforce tends to dress the same and when your on a busy street during the commute hour they look like ants marching down the block and that is a much sadder outcome them the occasional somebody looking disheveled and everyone dressing differently.


    Also something to consider, people in the 60's had far less clothing options in their closets and dressers. Leisure wear was so different from dress attire that you went from suit to shirt to under shirt and there was not much in between. People still wore formal pajamas on a regular basis. A day at the park required far less walking and even less standing in line. There was plentiful seating and lounging around was expected for periods of your day as it did not take an entire day to see everything. Today it requires true effort and logistics to even hit up every ride in just DL in a single day and then to add in DCA the average person is needing 2-3 days to do it all. For many DLR is a physical activity and they dress accordingly.

    Comment


    • #22
      I was around in the 50's and 60's. What young people don't understand is that people had far fewer clothes in their closet than we do now. It wasn't that people "dressed up" to appear in public, it was that the socio-economic factors hadn't progressed enough to allow most Americans to buy an entire wardrobe of casual clothes. The department stores called those "Casual Separates", and it was something only wealthy people could afford to purchase. Most middle class Americans bought separates that they could pair with work clothes, and on weekends they would match them with more comfortable shoes, leave the suit jacket on the hangar at home, and take their casual purse or hat with them instead of the patent leather one.

      As the economy boomed in the 1960's after President Kennedy's massive federal tax cuts, people could afford to buy Casual Separates more regularly. This was happening at the same time a revolution in fashion was happening not just in higher hemlines, but in cheaper fabrics made from polyester and man-made miracle fibers. The cost of clothing declined while American incomes and the standard of living was rising very fast throughout the 1960's.

      By 1970 most middle class Americans had a new wardrobe that had Casual Separates that reflected the changing styles, cheaper clothing costs, and their growing pocketbooks.

      It wasn't that people in 1960 felt the need to dress up to go to Disneyland, it was that those were really the only clothes they owned at the time and their wardrobe was built around their work week and not their weekend.

      Comment


      • #23
        Well this thread isn't really about DL or how one should dress there, its just how the society has changed in general. Maybe people can dress better, there is no argument there but we have become waaaay more casual about how we dress when we don't work. I was at a bank on Saturday and one guy look like he was wearing pajamas. No one seems to care one way or the other. Going to a nice restaurant use to be a reason to dress up with slacks, dresses, ties, etc. No more, most just wear jeans, shorts and sandals even at fancy places.

        And for the record, I much prefer to wear casual things then how they dressed back then, especially at a theme park. Wearing a shirt and tie on Splash Mountain would be bizarre but I get its more about finding a balance. But people simply dress more comfortable for them today and I prefer that instead of some kind of 'standard' of how you should dress in a theme park, as long as its not overly offensive wear what you want.

        Comment


        • #24
          I suppose if you are trying to impress others then what you wear to Disney is important. I am only interested in being comfortable and having a good time when I go to Disneyland. I couldn't care less with what others are wearing.

          Comment


          • #25
            I never visited Disneyland until the 90's, but my wife has a hilarious picture of her first visit as a kid in the early 80's, and her family was all dressed up. Dad adorned in full leisure suit which must've been a hoot.

            Definitely wasn't because those were the only clothes he had. Went fishing all the time and had plenty of casuals.

            Different world back then. Different Disneyland.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Beavis View Post
              I never visited Disneyland until the 90's, but my wife has a hilarious picture of her first visit as a kid in the early 80's, and her family was all dressed up. Dad adorned in full leisure suit which must've been a hoot.

              Definitely wasn't because those were the only clothes he had. Went fishing all the time and had plenty of casuals.

              Different world back then. Different Disneyland.
              I was going to the parks in the 80s, people certainly wore plenty of shorts, sandals and jeans then too. Maybe a few more wore something more formal I guess but we wore casual stuff back then as we do now. I have never wore anything but jeans, shorts, tennis shoes or sandals.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Hillchat View Post
                Maybe they were filming for Saving Mr. Banks.
                I think you might be right, in which case, the photo and accompanying comment are bogus and misleading.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Hillchat View Post
                  Maybe they were filming for Saving Mr. Banks.
                  Dresses and heels don't belong on my body anymore. I can't imagine wearing what women wore then these days.
                  Yes, or possibly Dapper Days. It's definitely NOT just a "Day in the Life of Disneyland, 2012." Disneyland in heels?!?! Not just uncomfortable, but downright unsafe.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Dress code has slacked exponentially over the past several decades. I'm not saying people have to wear suits and dresses to Disneyland, but there are ways to dress casually and comfortably while still looking classy. But if people don't care how sloppy they look, I don't care.

                    As a kid I never had the option of full freedom to "express yourself individually," and that's what I plan to extend to my kids. You have certain choices -- set by parents' approval -- and you chose from there. There were no crazy outfits, no dying of the hair (other than temporarily for a day for an event), no piercings (as a boy), and definitely no tattoos. No going out in public in pajamas in college and certainly not as an adult (and sorry, no one cares about your "comfort"). I had a brief phase in college where I wanted a tattoo (but thankfully not got one), and though I hated wearing a uniform in school, in retrospect I think they're not a bad idea. And I learned early on, from seeing others' experience, that walking into an interview with long hair, a billion piercings and full-sleeve tattoos probably isn't going to land you the job.

                    My motto for life/work/parenting/etc: If you want to be taken seriously, look serious.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                      I feel you could still dress nice and be comfortable⤵️
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	saving-mr-banks-filming.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	8556822
                      By the way, this isn't 1966...it's Novermber 2012.
                      LOL its like everyone just stepped out of Happy Days. That had to be an event of some kind. No way anyone dresses like that today. Trying to imagine the strange looks they much have gotten.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Originally posted by Hillchat View Post
                        Maybe they were filming for Saving Mr. Banks..
                        They were.
                        https://insidethemagic.net/2012/11/p...ving-mr-banks/

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Natalie post Got it...there was NO snow on the Castle back 1966
                          This pic was done Novermber 2012.
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                            Natalie post Got it...there was NO snow on the Castle back 1966
                            This pic was done Novermber 2012.
                            and during the filming of saving mr. banks. As mentioned by Chadwpalm so the photo is misleading in gaining any traction in the argument.

                            I was actually discussing this last night and came to the conclusion that, if you care too much about what people are wearing and those people aren't you (at disneyland) what are you actually attending for?
                            I don't think imagination is dead. Anywhere or in the parks. I think that sometimes, we need to remember, that when you see something so highly to begin with, and then you visit it or see it every weekend, that shine it once had, it starts to wear. I think, and this isnt meant as an insult or anything rude or whatever, that sometimes, the imagination dies a little in ourselves, as opposed to the thing we are critiquing and its further diminished when it doesn't align with what we think it should align with.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Originally posted by Druggas View Post
                              Back then, Disney put their best foot forward, and so did the public. Today DL is more like a mall with daycare.
                              I hear ya!

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Originally posted by TP2000 View Post
                                I was around in the 50's and 60's. What young people don't understand is that people had far fewer clothes in their closet than we do now. It wasn't that people "dressed up" to appear in public, it was that the socio-economic factors hadn't progressed enough to allow most Americans to buy an entire wardrobe of casual clothes. The department stores called those "Casual Separates", and it was something only wealthy people could afford to purchase. Most middle class Americans bought separates that they could pair with work clothes, and on weekends they would match them with more comfortable shoes, leave the suit jacket on the hangar at home, and take their casual purse or hat with them instead of the patent leather one.

                                As the economy boomed in the 1960's after President Kennedy's massive federal tax cuts, people could afford to buy Casual Separates more regularly. This was happening at the same time a revolution in fashion was happening not just in higher hemlines, but in cheaper fabrics made from polyester and man-made miracle fibers. The cost of clothing declined while American incomes and the standard of living was rising very fast throughout the 1960's.

                                By 1970 most middle class Americans had a new wardrobe that had Casual Separates that reflected the changing styles, cheaper clothing costs, and their growing pocketbooks.

                                It wasn't that people in 1960 felt the need to dress up to go to Disneyland, it was that those were really the only clothes they owned at the time and their wardrobe was built around their work week and not their weekend.
                                Wow great post! It does explain a lot. So society didn't change so much as everyone just could afford more options.

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  I feel no need to be the Disneyland fashion police.

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Let's try this again for those who don't understand what I was trying to say. IMO I feel you can still dress up and be comfortable. I posted the photo below...
                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_44996.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	8556969
                                    ...because I think the clothing looks nice...AND...comfortable. The women's shoes, maybe not so. But in general it doesn't look uncomfortable to wear all day.
                                    By the way, it was the filming of Saving Mr. Banks and those are Cast Members who were hired on as extras. The studio didn't supply them with clothes to wear. They had to bring their own (although 20 hair stylists were on hand to take care of that part of the look). I did speak with many of them and asked specifically if it was uncomfortable dressing like that for hours. Their answer was "No". Although they had a blast going retro, so the clothing was a big part of the fun.
                                    What you don't see in the photo are the park guests off to the sides who were watching them go by. That more than anything else showed me how things have changed. An army of sharply dressed people, and off to the sides (IMO) a bunch of bums watching them go by. Such a sharp contrast to see.
                                    Last edited by Natalie Price; 05-14-2018, 10:09 PM.

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                                      Let's try this again for those who don't understand what I was trying to say. IMO I feel you can still dress up and be comfortable. I posted the photo below...
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_44996.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	8556969
                                      ...because I think the clothing looks nice...AND...comfortable. The women's shoes, maybe not so. But in general it doesn't look uncomfortable to wear all day.
                                      By the way, it was the filming of Saving Mr. Banks and those are Cast Members who were hired on as extras. The studio didn't supply them with clothes to wear. They had to bring their own (although 20 hair stylists were on hand to take care of that part of the look). I did speak with many of them and asked specifically if it was uncomfortable dressing like that for hours. Their answer was "No". Although they had a blast going retro, so the clothing was a big part of the fun.
                                      No offense but this is just not reality. No one would dress this way at a theme park. And why should they? What bothers me is that this is sort of a 'one size fits all' standard . That's exactly why we don't live in the fifties anymore. And not everyone miss it either. Certainly no one I know.

                                      And I would love to know if these 'cast members' has ever dressed like this to Disneyland again or anywhere for that matter when they weren't being paid to do it for a film.

                                      And isn't that what Dapper days are for?

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Originally posted by Fctiger View Post

                                        No offense but this is just not reality. No one would dress this way at a theme park. And why should they? What bothers me is that this is sort of a 'one size fits all' standard . That's exactly why we don't live in the fifties anymore. And not everyone miss it either. Certainly no one I know.

                                        And I would love to know if these 'cast members' has ever dressed like this to Disneyland again or anywhere for that matter when they weren't being paid to do it for a film.

                                        And isn't that what Dapper days are for?
                                        Let's try this again for those who don't understand what I'm trying to say...IMO you can still dress up and be comfortable. Nothing political or social about what I'm saying. It's just an opinion.

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post

                                          Let's try this again for those who don't understand what I'm trying to say...IMO you can still dress up and be comfortable. Nothing political or social about what I'm saying. It's just an opinion.
                                          You are literally using a set picture from a movie set in the 1960s to make your argument. That makes it a bad argument.

                                          But I'm sure you can find some other misleading pictures to make a point with.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X