Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney's Flavor Safari - Does DLR Need An Annual Food Event?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney's Flavor Safari - Does DLR Need An Annual Food Event?

Is an annual food oriented special event overdue at the Disneyland Resort?

WDW has long enjoyed it's International Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT - an epicurean unearthing of flavors the world over.

Disneyland Paris holds an anual four-day fistival in recognition of St. David's day, and celebrating everything Welsh that is under the sun - and then some. The festivities include music, folk dancing, and a heavy emphasis on food.

Tokyo DisneySea held a unique food event this year that may well be destined to take place anually. It is called Disney Ala Carte, and took place from September 12th thru October 31st. Restaurants throughout the park boasted special menus and liquor options. To add to the atmosphere were dancers, puppets, musicians, sings, and artists, as well as special merchandise and souvenirs.

Why is it then that the Disneyland Resort doesn't enjoy a special food oriented event? Don't be surprised if HKD holds an event of this nature in the near future as well. Do you feel as I do that the Disneyland Resort would benefit from such an event?

I'm thinking that one possible title/theme for DLR might be Disney's Flavor Safari. Guests would experience a festival that would feature exotic original dishes created by world class chefs. The dishes would be served at select restaurants at Disneyland, DCA, Downtown Disney, and Disneyland Resort Hotels. Adding to the atmosphere would be specially made merchandise and souvenirs to commemorate the event, and exotic cultural performances by entertainers from around the globe.

Anybody else out there have ideas add to mine, or original ideas of your own to share?
    I Strongly Feel That DLR Would Benefit From An Annual Food Oriented Special Event
    35.71%
    I Would Be In Favor of One Should It Happen
    21.43%
    I'm In Flavor of Anything Having To Do With Food
    14.29%
    Don't Care One Way Or the Other
    14.29%
    Totally Against the Idea
    14.29%
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Re: Disney's Flavor Safari - Does DLR Need An Annual Food Event?

Don't they have one in DCA already? I think it's the food & wine festival. I missed it last year, someone else will know for sure.

Comment

Um... How about the California Food and Wine Festival?
      The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Well we have the Bengal BBQ, that's right the Bengal BBQ... "for a real taste of Adventure, where you can enjoy all your favorite jungle animals ON A STICK".
        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
          Well we have the Bengal BBQ, that's right the Bengal BBQ... "for a real taste of Adventure, where you can enjoy all your favorite jungle animals ON A STICK".
          Now that sounds delicious. I'm licking my chops and am fully reddy to pounce on one.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
            Don't they have one in DCA already? I think it's the food & wine festival. I missed it last year, someone else will know for sure.
            There's no real synergy associated with the event though - such as merchandise and special entertainment. Furthermore, it only occurs on weekends, and is not a full-fledged celebration that occurs everyday as with Disney resorts elsewhere. Now that I've heard of it, I do plan to attend in the future. This just sounds like more of a thrown together diversion than a special event that is geared toward drawing international tourists. It's more like another failed ploy to drive attendance up at DCA.

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
            Um... How about the California Food and Wine Festival?
            Again, the currect title is Disney's California Food and Wine Weekends. Any event with the words "food and wine" in the title sounds rather common place. To name a couple, there's the Summer Food & Wine Festival in Costa Mesa, and the San diego Wine # Food Festival - and many others in southern california alone.

Comment

There is merchandise associated with it, however. There are special wine kits, wine glasses, cooking sets, etc. It's actually rather fun and features wine and food from CA. The reason it occurs mainly on weekends is, I think, because DCA is a locals-heavy park.
              The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
                There is merchandise associated with it, however. There are special wine kits, wine glasses, cooking sets, etc. It's actually rather fun and features wine and food from CA. The reason it occurs mainly on weekends is, I think, because DCA is a locals-heavy park.
                You put your thumb on it. DCA is a locally attended event, and it's food and wine event represents that. If I go next year, I might meet you there. It does indeed sound like a lot of fun. As the resort becomes an international destination, perhaps Disney will be original and have two such events - one geared for locals and the other full of international oriented fanfare.
                Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-16-2007, 06:38 PM.

Comment

When do DCA's Food & Wine Weekends occur?

Comment

It was in May, and it was a blast. I highly recommend it.
                    A signature should go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Manning View Post
                      When do DCA's Food & Wine Weekends occur?
                      Originally posted by SusieP. View Post
                      It was in May, and it was a blast. I highly recommend it.
                      Hi there Luke and Susie! Perhaps we'll all have a meet when the event rolls around next year. I was planning on coming to the resort this coming Spring anyway.

Comment

Here's Fishbulb's recap of the events. We did a couple of ticketed events as a group, in addition to checking out all the free stuff.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...d+wine+weekend
                        A signature should go here.

Comment

The Food and Wine Festival at DCA was wonderful! The highlight for me was attending one of the winemakers dinners at Steakhouse55. Easily one of the best meals I've ever had. I would absolutely love to do it again next year, plus the annual passholder even that SusieP. attended.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I'm a local now, I just moved in the summer. So I'll be sure to check it out next May!

Comment

Here's Fishbulb's recap of the events. We did a couple of ticketed events as a group, in addition to checking out all the free stuff.

Thanks Susie. This is worth repeat viewing!

Comment

Originally posted by dsnylndmom View Post
                                The Food and Wine Festival at DCA was wonderful! The highlight for me was attending one of the winemakers dinners at Steakhouse55. Easily one of the best meals I've ever had. I would absolutely love to do it again next year, plus the annual passholder even that SusieP. attended.
                                The winemakers dinner at Steakhouse55 sounds dilish. Perhaps, we'll meet at last there this coming Spring, d-mama!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Manning View Post
                                  I'm a local now, I just moved in the summer. So I'll be sure to check it out next May!
                                  good deal.

Comment

I've been both years and have really enjoyed it. Looking forward to 2008!

Comment

Fishy does excellent trip reports!!! After a quick Search, here are a few other threads from back in May. I highly recommend the Food & Wine Weekends at DCA. I enjoyed the events I attended plus sampling the foods in the park. :thumbup:

5.19.07 Food & Wine, DCA
                                      http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ine-65254.html

PHOTO UPDATE 4/27: A taste of Disney's 2007 California Food & Wine Weekends, +MORE!
                                      http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ste-62570.html

DCA - Food and Wine Weekends Information
                                      http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...nds-62835.html

Comment

Originally posted by Nor Cal Tinkfan View Post
                                        I've been both years and have really enjoyed it. Looking forward to 2008!
                                        You lucky ducky! I'm jealous. We could just have the makings of an exciting, good sized meet next year!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X