Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Should Disneyland stay dry when Galaxy’s Edge opens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Disneyland stay dry when Galaxy’s Edge opens?

I recently read an article that suggests it’s time to reverse the alcohol ban at Disneyland when they open Galaxy’s Edge. The reason being that at MK in Florida, when their version of GE opens, the table service restaurants will likely serve alcohol. MK in Florida has incrementally introduced serving alcohol at the table service restaurants, a trend that started with Disneyland Paris.

Is it time to break one of the original rules that Walt set for Disneyland, or should that remain intact for nostalgia sake? Personally, I don’t care one way or another, but I would be supportive of the decision being made to keep the park dry because Walt wanted it that way.
    Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 05-16-2018, 06:56 AM.

Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    I recently read an article that suggests it’s time to reverse the alcohol ban at Disneyland when they open Galaxy’s Edge. The reason being that at MK in Florida, when their version of GE opens, the table service restaurants will likely serve alcohol. MK in Florida has incrementally introduced serving alcohol at the table service restaurants, a trend that started with Disneyland Paris.

Is it time to break one of the original rules that Walt set for Disneyland, or should that remain intact for nostalgia sake? Personally, I don’t care one way or another, but I would be supportive of the decision being made to keep the park dry because Walt wanted it that way.
    So here is my take on this and I am someone that enjoys a drink from time to time in the parks, The change in the Magic Kingdom in Florida was for table service restaurants only and I believe unless it has recently changed that is only for Cinderella's royal table and be our guest which I was fine with as a drink with dinner is rarely problematic. The Galaxies edge in Florida with be in the Hollywood Studios park which already offers alcohol, and there is no comparison to Paris wine and alcohol is part of the culture. As far as Alcohol in Disneyland I don't see a restaurant that is the equivalent of those Florida restaurants the only maybe is The Blue Bayou and while it would be cool to have alcohol drinks in the Canteena I think they can have just as cool of an effect with specialty non-alcoholic drinks. So my vote is to keep Disneyland dry.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Personally, I don’t care one way or another, but I would be supportive of the decision being made to keep the park dry because Walt wanted it that way.
      I think this is my stance as well. However, in frequenting my local theme park, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, I can tell you I have never once seen someone inebriated, and it is sort of nice to be able to have an ice-cold beer on a sweltering hot day.

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

So here is my take on this and I am someone that enjoys a drink from time to time in the parks, The change in the Magic Kingdom in Florida was for table service restaurants only and I believe unless it has recently changed that is only for Cinderella's royal table and be our guest which I was fine with as a drink with dinner is rarely problematic. The Galaxies edge in Florida with be in the Hollywood Studios park which already offers alcohol, and there is no comparison to Paris wine and alcohol is part of the culture. As far as Alcohol in Disneyland I don't see a restaurant that is the equivalent of those Florida restaurants the only maybe is The Blue Bayou and while it would be cool to have alcohol drinks in the Canteena I think they can have just as cool of an effect with specialty non-alcoholic drinks. So my vote is to keep Disneyland dry.
        I completely agree on all points. Something to remember though; today's Disneyland management is all about the bottom $$. I imagine they are missing out on massive profits by not selling high priced cocktails at DL.
        Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 05-16-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I think a drink served with a meal is perfectly legitimate and has no negative effect on the park or its atmosphere. I've had wine with my meal at the Wine Country Trattoria in DCA, and I suspect the Carthay Circle Restaurant (and soon-to-be Lamplight Lounge) are other pleasant locations to enjoy drinks. I've also enjoyed a wine flight in Epcot at the France pavilion and think that Disney has pulled off serving alcohol rather nicely. With that said, I'm somewhat less of a fan of the casually doled-out margaritas and beer that goes on at DCA. I have nothing against the alcohol, but the ways I have witnessed people behaving when they are a liberal with their drinks is just a little off-putting. It's nothing more than a minor peeve, but it's something that makes me prefer Disneyland just a little bit more.

I completely agree on all points. Something to remember though; Today's Disneyland management is all about the bottom $$. I imagine they are missing out on massive profits by not selling high priced cocktails at DL.
          I think this part is definitely key. I spoke to someone who works in the parks who says Disney feels they are just leaving too much money on the table to not sell alcohol inside Disneyland. Apparently they're confident enough in their serving policy that they aren't too worried about liabilities. I'm not sure if he had any idea about the timeline, but if they serve drinks at the Galaxy's Edge cantina then we can expect it to roll out park-wide. That way the press from Star Wars will drown out the media attention on other, more controversial decisions (whether they pertain to alcohol or otherwise).

Comment

If I recall correctly, the original concern about alcohol in Disneyland wasn’t expressed by Walt Disney, but by Dick Nunis, wasn’t it?

I’m okay with wine and beer at certain sit down, table service restaurants only, and a cocktail only at a place like Carthay Circle.
            Last edited by Blue Lagoon; 05-16-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I also agree with this. And I drink. Well, not like, "I'm a alcoholic" drink, but I enjoy a glass of wine or a beer or a cocktail every now and again.

Last edited by JoFi; 05-16-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I completely agree on all points. Something to remember though; Today's Disneyland management is all about the bottom $$. I imagine they are missing out on massive profits by not selling high priced cocktails at DL.
                I agree with you however they have reduced the number of Alcohol stands at DCA so I am not sure they are going after that $$ they will just raise the price of churros and $300 dollar tickets to preview overlay pier er I mean Pixar Pier.
                BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Lagoon View Post
                  If I recall correctly, the original concern about alcohol in Disneyland wasn’t expressed by Walt Disney, but by Dick Nunis, wasn’t it?
                  I was under the impression that Nunis joined Disney in 1955, after the park opened? I do recall reading somewhere that he was fully supportive of the park being dry though.

Comment

I was under the impression that Nunis joined Disney in 1955, after the park opened? I do recall reading somewhere that he was fully supportive of the park being dry though.
                    He was there on opening day.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't Walt's idea to keep the park dry. One of Walt's gifts was the ability to surround himself with the best people to help him reach his goals, and to make decisions based on their recommendations.
                      Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 05-16-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

yes
                        "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

Comment

Blue milk for everyone!
                          Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

I agree with you however they have reduced the number of Alcohol stands at DCA so I am not sure they are going after that $$ they will just raise the price of churros and $300 dollar tickets to preview overlay pier er I mean Pixar Pier.
                            When did this happen? I didn't have any problem securing a few beers in DCA last summer. Has it changed since?

I don't think it's really going to be a problem at any sit down restaurant unless it causes customers to sit around longer to drink. I certainly wouldn't be above doing so myself.

That said, a 2-3 drink limit should address that (and most the other problems) With the new brew pub(s) opening in DTD and it being in the security perimeter, it's really pretty trivial to drink with your meal if you want to. No reason you should have to walk all the way over there (or DCA) for the pleasure.

I'd personally like to be able to pick up beer as you go like in DCA. But the crowds in Disneyland are so much worse I can see why they'd be hesitant to do so.

Comment

I'm ok with the idea of serving there's drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic if it's themed. SWGE is a great place to start. If there's a cantina you make themed drinks in special cups. Limit the Sales to that area and there shouldn't be an issue. Also I doubt too many people get plastered at the parks when drinks are 15 dollars and up. People who want to be drunk at Disneyland can do pre-partying anywhere they like.
                              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              My company had a special night at the park
                              WdW trip report with WWoHP
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis View Post
                                I'd personally like to be able to pick up beer as you go like in DCA. But the crowds in Disneyland are so much worse I can see why they'd be hesitant to do so.
                                I’m not a fan of the idea of people walking around the park with alcoholic beverages (beer) in their hands. That’s trouble, and definitely not appropriate for Disneyland or California Adventure.

Comment

I think allowing adults to drink to their delight in designated areas is perfectly fine and I agree having adults strolling the park with cocktails and beers is a bit of a magic killer and should be left for County Fairs, Coachella and Ballparks. Those looking to get hammered are not doing so on overpriced Disney beers and cocktails and are already pre-gaming / tailgating before boarding the tram. I have heard hundreds of stories over the decades of people going to the parks with all manner of self medication. I have yet to see anyone go too far, though I am sure it happened. I see it as a waste to spend all that money and be kicked out or forget the experience all together because you are too drunk or stoned to be present but some people will still find it desirable and will do it regardless of rules.

Comment

Here's what I found on Nunis:
                                    "Dick learned about Disneyland through his classmate, Ron Miller, who was Walt’s son-in-law. On a lark, he decided to apply for a summer job at the new theme park and was hired by Van France, founder of The Disney University and author of the Park’s orientation and training program. Just prior to the Park’s July 17, 1955, debut, the duo began training Disneyland employees. Among members of their first class were Walt and his executives."
                                    https://d23.com/walt-disney-legend/dick-nunis/

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                      I think allowing adults to drink to their delight in designated areas is perfectly fine and I agree having adults strolling the park with cocktails and beers is a bit of a magic killer and should be left for County Fairs, Coachella and Ballparks. Those looking to get hammered are not doing so on overpriced Disney beers and cocktails and are already pre-gaming / tailgating before boarding the tram. I have heard hundreds of stories over the decades of people going to the parks with all manner of self medication. I have yet to see anyone go too far, though I am sure it happened. I see it as a waste to spend all that money and be kicked out or forget the experience all together because you are too drunk or stoned to be present but some people will still find it desirable and will do it regardless of rules.
                                      This video made the rounds several years ago when a drunk guest became disorderly in front of the Tower of Terror. I can't seem to find the MiceAge article that came with it, but I remember someone talking about how Disney had not formally authorized security to carry pepper spray at the time of this incident. Instead, the policy was to allow all employees to carry it for personal protection (especially female CMs who might need it during long walks to back to their cars late at night). The security leads were given a tacit nod to carry it with them in the parks, which is what this officer had done. After this happened I believe some major policy changes were undertaken.

This is all to say that this is probably the worst substance abuse you will ever see at Disneyland unless you make it to a Grad Nite.

Comment

I’m not a fan of the idea of people walking around the park with alcoholic beverages (beer) in their hands. That’s trouble, and definitely not appropriate for Disneyland or California Adventure.
                                        On this, we are 100% in agreement.
                                        Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 05-16-2018, 10:06 AM.
                                        Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Working...
                                        X