Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Forums Retheme

Hello Folks,

Delayed, due to unforeseen circumstances our presentation of "MiceChat Forum Makeover" has been delayed till next weekend.

MiceChat Forums will be going through a design change and much needed update. This update will give a more modern look as well as bring in mobile viewing options. So you may see the forums looking strange as we implement the new look.

Thank you all, and happy MiceChatting!
See more
See less

Something's Missibg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something's Missibg

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I wanted to get your thoughts on why the Star Wars heroes are missing from Disneyland. There's no Luke, Han, or Leia. Basically, we're missing the characters that don't wear masks. Is it because guests would think, "You don't look like Luke!" But my response to that is Disney has other characters without masks, such as Mary Poppins, Bert, Peter Pan, pick your princess, etc. The "you don't look like your character" argument is never applied to those characters so why would it be applied to Star Wars? I want to see Luke and Han. I assume younger audiences want to see Rey, Finn, and Poe. Where are they? If Disney hasn't introduced them to the parks by now, I have little hope of seeing them in SWGE.

And obviously the N in missing. Stupid IPhone.

Comment

FYI: Characters without masks are called "face characters". By the way, Rey is now in Launch Bay. But I personally would like to see Han, Leia and Luke too. I'm not sure why they're not there. Maybe it's a "rights" thing. For example, Mary Poppins, Bert, and Captain Jack Sparrow are in the parks. But Photopass photographers are not allowed to take pictures of them with guests. The reason why is Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, and Johnny Depp own the rights to those character's "image". And Disney can't make money (via Photopass) off those images. (Note: this only applies to live action characters. For example, Mandy Moore can't own the rights to the animated image of Rapunzel).
      But head on over to DCA and it's a different story. Black Widow, Loki, Thor, Hawkeye...no problem with those face characters over there. Makes me wonder if that was part of the deal with the purchase of Marvel.

Comment

They have had Luke and Leia at the Star wars running events. As for why they're not in the park. Well if you've seen the last Jedi the clearly say, " let the past die" they want to push the new Disney Star Wars characters as much as possible.
        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
        My company had a special night at the park
        WdW trip report with WWoHP
        NYE 2011 trip report
        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
        Leap year 24 hour report
        New DCA trip report
        NYE 2012
        HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
          They have had Luke and Leia at the Star wars running events. As for why they're not in the park. Well if you've seen the last Jedi the clearly say, " let the past die" they want to push the new Disney Star Wars characters as much as possible.
          Is that why they have Darth Vader and Boba Fett? Vader died back in 83. At least Luke, Han, and Leia have had significant roles in the two most recent Star Wars movies.

Comment

Originally posted by hbdad View Post

Is that why they have Darth Vader and Boba Fett? Vader died back in 83. At least Luke, Han, and Leia have had significant roles in the two most recent Star Wars movies.
            It's just what I think Vader and Boba Fett most likely move tons of merchandise still. And offer a good ROI
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

Got it............Advertisement Branding
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

"Not my Star Wars" is all I have to say.

Comment

Seems likely it has something to do with character images rights. Have we ever seen a live Indiana Jones character? Maybe the same issue there.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                    FYI: Characters without masks are called "face characters". By the way, Rey is now in Launch Bay. But I personally would like to see Han, Leia and Luke too. I'm not sure why they're not there. Maybe it's a "rights" thing. For example, Mary Poppins, Bert, and Captain Jack Sparrow are in the parks. But Photopass photographers are not allowed to take pictures of them with guests. The reason why is Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, and Johnny Depp own the rights to those character's "image". And Disney can't make money (via Photopass) off those images. (Note: this only applies to live action characters. For example, Mandy Moore can't own the rights to the animated image of Rapunzel).
                    But head on over to DCA and it's a different story. Black Widow, Loki, Thor, Hawkeye...no problem with those face characters over there. Makes me wonder if that was part of the deal with the purchase of Marvel.
                    The likeness of all of the Marvel Characters are owned by Marvel as the original likeness was in the comicbook so therefore the likeness is now owned by Disney, Where as the original depiction of Mary Poppins, Bert, and Jack Sparrow were by those actors who can then own the image rights. Especially Jonny Deep as he completely created the look of Jack. My guess with the face Characters from the original Star Wars would be one of two things, likeness rights, or which version of them would you choose since there is now many, Do you Choose Princess Leia or General Organa?
                    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

The likeness of all of the Marvel Characters are owned by Marvel as the original likeness was in the comicbook so therefore the likeness is now owned by Disney, Where as the original depiction of Mary Poppins, Bert, and Jack Sparrow were by those actors who can then own the image rights. Especially Jonny Deep as he completely created the look of Jack. My guess with the face Characters from the original Star Wars would be one of two things, likeness rights, or which version of them would you choose since there is now many, Do you Choose Princess Leia or General Organa?
                      Hmm, then why do you see Jack Sparrow face characters in Disneyland. Is it because he gave Disneyland permission? Possibly. Since Disney was the original creator of the film, it may have been in Depp’s contract, but never was in the contract for Hamill, Fisher, etc. that they signed with 20th Century Fox when they agreed to play the roles on screen.
                      Disneyland - the original and most charming
                      Disneyland Paris - the most beautiful Disneyland ever built
                      Tokyo Disneysea - the most amazing Disney park and the only non-Disneyland Disney park worthy of the original

Adventure Thru Inner Space - The greatest extinct Disneyland attraction

“Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.- The Walt Disney quote that should be heeded
                      Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world” - The most abused Walt Disney quote ever
                      “It’s called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean” - X. Atencio

LOATHE AND DESPISE: Marvel Garbage, Avatar Crap, Star Wars Overkill, Pixarization, Shanghai, Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Lagoon View Post

Hmm, then why do you see Jack Sparrow face characters in Disneyland. Is it because he gave Disneyland permission? Possibly. Since Disney was the original creator of the film, it may have been in Depp’s contract, but never was in the contract for Hamill, Fisher, etc. that they signed with 20th Century Fox when they agreed to play the roles on screen.
                        As stated above by Natalie the can use the Jack Sparrow characters in the park because they are in Disney films but they cannot have Face character meet and greets with Photopass Photographers as Disney would make money on the likeness. And it should be stated that the Disney Executives flipped out when they saw the original dailies of what that character looked like and how Deep was playing it. They demanded that he change the characters look and portrayal and Deep told them to trust him or replace him. We can now see who was right there.

Comment

As stated above by Natalie the can use the Jack Sparrow characters in the park because they are in Disney films but they cannot have Face character meet and greets with Photopass Photographers as Disney would make money on the likeness. And it should be stated that the Disney Executives flipped out when they saw the original dailies of what that character looked like and how Deep was playing it. They demanded that he change the characters look and portrayal and Deep told them to trust him or replace him. We can now see who was right there.
                          Yeah, but why don’t they have Leia or Skywalker face characters in the park, without Photopass with them being allowed (not that I want that, just trying to figure out the difference). They don’t have an Indiana Jones face character walking around the park either (but didn’t they have him in a live show?)

Disneyland - the original and most charming
                          Disneyland Paris - the most beautiful Disneyland ever built
                          Tokyo Disneysea - the most amazing Disney park and the only non-Disneyland Disney park worthy of the original

Adventure Thru Inner Space - The greatest extinct Disneyland attraction

“Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.- The Walt Disney quote that should be heeded
                          Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world” - The most abused Walt Disney quote ever
                          “It’s called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean” - X. Atencio

LOATHE AND DESPISE: Marvel Garbage, Avatar Crap, Star Wars Overkill, Pixarization, Shanghai, Michael Eisner

Comment

I question whether Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke have the rights to their likenesses of Mary Poppins and Bert.
                            Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Lagoon View Post

Yeah, but why don’t they have Leia or Skywalker face characters in the park, without Photopass with them being allowed (not that I want that, just trying to figure out the difference). They don’t have an Indiana Jones face character walking around the park either (but didn’t they have him in a live show?)
                              I am trying to figure that out as well, I think one thing is there are so many looks to those characters. So which one do you choose? While Darth Vader, Chewie have one iconic look. I know in the parks they have had Indiana Jones meet and greets in the past and they have the stunt show in Florida, Strangely enough Harrison Ford is not the voice of the Indy in the ride.

Comment

I am trying to figure that out as well, I think one thing is there are so many looks to those characters. So which one do you choose? While Darth Vader, Chewie have one iconic look. I know in the parks they have had Indiana Jones meet and greets in the past and they have the stunt show in Florida, Strangely enough Harrison Ford is not the voice of the Indy in the ride.
                                My opinion which is worthless, is that the problem is not in choosing which version of the character to go with. Grandma Leia is not the iconic version. The bunn ears is the iconic look. No way would they have bikini clad Leia but that would be runner up. No one wants to see grizzly Adams Skywalker and AARP Han Solo. You would do the younger versions obviously and especially more so with Han as he is having his very own movie coming out where he is portrayed by a young actor.

I would also be very surprised that back in the 70s actors would have had the foresight to put into contracts rights to the image of the character they were playing. I wasn't around in the late 70s to know, but was having face characters based on film characters in amusement parks a thing back then?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim in Merced CA View Post
                                  I question whether Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke have the rights to their likenesses of Mary Poppins and Bert.
                                  No question there -- Disney doesn't do deals for their IPs that don't include all rights to all likenesses. The exception is for licensed IPs, like Avatar.
                                  "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                                  Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                                  imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                                  until Thor told it to me."
                                  -
                                  Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

The comments of why some Characters don't have Photopass got me thinking about a possible connection. While this is not based on anything more than what I seem to be observing, It seems to come down to more of a case that the ones that do not have a Photographer with them are ones that would generally be considered a "roaming" character. Burt & Mary Poppins, Alice & The Mad Hatter, Jack Sparrow, Peter Pan and Wendy are generally walking around a wider area. Where Characters like the princesses, or Mickey, Minnie are in a set area when they are out. Even when they are out at Town Square they come out, go to a set spot, and stay in that same spot until they go back.

As to the original question in the post. I don't think the primary reason popularity or costs. As there would be quite a following of people who would want to see Luke or Leia. I would tend to think it is more of a case of which likeness you want to use. Where characters such as Darth Vader or a Storm Trooper haven't really changed. Rey is a newer character and doesn't have 40 years of history to deal with. But what if they brought out Han which Han? The 1970's Harrison Ford Han or the 2018 Alden Ehrenreich Han?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim in Merced CA View Post
                                      They do, which is why Disney can't profit from their likeness (wandering face characters).

Comment

Originally posted by DLMountainFan View Post
                                        The comments of why some Characters don't have Photopass got me thinking about a possible connection. While this is not based on anything more than what I seem to be observing, It seems to come down to more of a case that the ones that do not have a Photographer with them are ones that would generally be considered a "roaming" character. Burt & Mary Poppins, Alice & The Mad Hatter, Jack Sparrow, Peter Pan and Wendy are generally walking around a wider area. Where Characters like the princesses, or Mickey, Minnie are in a set area when they are out. Even when they are out at Town Square they come out, go to a set spot, and stay in that same spot until they go back.

As to the original question in the post. I don't think the primary reason popularity or costs. As there would be quite a following of people who would want to see Luke or Leia. I would tend to think it is more of a case of which likeness you want to use. Where characters such as Darth Vader or a Storm Trooper haven't really changed. Rey is a newer character and doesn't have 40 years of history to deal with. But what if they brought out Han which Han? The 1970's Harrison Ford Han or the 2018 Alden Ehrenreich Han?
                                        Photopass Photographers are not banned from taking photos of the "live" versions of "animated" characters like Alice, Peter, etc. The reason you don't see them with the wandering characters is because they're supposed to...wander. But every now and then you'll see Photopass taking pics, but they're not allowed to create a meet and greet line. For example, if Alice is walking with a little girl a Photopass CM will start shooting that because it's cute. Or if a Photopass photographer is walking by and a guest requests pics with Peter, they'll stop. But try that with Mary, Bert or Captain Jack and you'll get a flat out "No". That's because they're not allowed to because of the whole "rights" thing.

It does make me wonder why it's different with the Marvel face characters like Black Widow, Hawkeye, Thor, Loki and Starlord. Maybe it was part of the deal Disney wanted when they bought Marvel. And there doesn't seem to be the same restrictions with LucasFilm characters because Rey is in Launch Bay.
                                        Last edited by Natalie Price; 05-19-2018, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X