Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Construction has renewed on the Eastern Gateway(?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Construction has renewed on the Eastern Gateway(?)

For a very long time the land that was supposed to be the Eastern Gateway parking structure was nothing more than big piles of dirt, which sat for so long that bushes and even trees starting growing on them. But those mounds of dirt were cleared out a few months ago, and construction materials have taken their place. Workers can now be seen on the property...doing something. So what's going on there? Anybody know? I'm fairly certain it's not the parking structure they're working on. That project was politically killed off. What could they be building that wouldn't raise a stink with Anaheim City Hall?

I believed you mention the idea of a new parking lot for employees, so the current employee lot would be converted for guests. Or the lot could be turned into a simple lot for guests, but guests traversing to and from the lot, would cause more traffic, than cast members would.

Another possibility, is that the DCA buildings for management(the ones built behind Cars Land's) will be knocked down for Marvel Land, with a new building on the lot. I want to say, I remember them saying the buildings were considered "semi-permanent.

The only other idea I have, is that they are refilling the lot, due to some city regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
      So what's going on there? Anybody know? I'm fairly certain it's not the parking structure they're working on. That project was politically killed off. What could they be building that wouldn't raise a stink with Anaheim City Hall?
      The project wasn't really killed off. It never went up for a vote to the planning commission. I still think it's likely that Disney will wait until the results of the mayoral election this year and press on.

In the interim though, Disney filed a permit for the demolition of the Carousel Inn back in February and it looks like it was approved just yesterday. So I would guess any construction you see in the lot behind it, would be staging for that work.

http://permits.anaheim.net/tm_bin/tm...=BLD2018-00484

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post

The project wasn't really killed off. It never went up for a vote to the planning commission. I still think it's likely that Disney will wait until the results of the mayoral election this year and press on.

In the interim though, Disney filed a permit for the demolition of the Carousel Inn back in February and it looks like it was approved just yesterday. So I would guess any construction you see in the lot behind it, would be staging for that work.

http://permits.anaheim.net/tm_bin/tm...=BLD2018-00484
        Thanks for the info. That fills in some of the puzzle pieces. But I'm still curious what they have in mind once the Carousel Inn is torn down. My vote still goes for making the empty lot into CM parking. That way Pumba can be used as guest parking full time instead of only on busy days. Plus, it would be a way shorter walk for CMs to get to the crosswalk on Harbor. Click image for larger version

Name:	lot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	8557940

Comment

I place vote also = Cast Member Parking !
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The Downtown Disney parking structure on the Simba lot is going to start construction soon. Since that lot is mostly cast member parking at present it would make sense for Disney to create replacement cast member parking where the Eastern Gateway was going to go. This is just speculation, though. The parking situation in the resort is going to be pretty gnarly for the next couple of years.

Comment

Thanks for the info. That fills in some of the puzzle pieces. But I'm still curious what they have in mind once the Carousel Inn is torn down.
              I would guess their plan is identical, or at least very similar, to the eastern gateway plan they announced previously. The eastern parking structure is something that has been built into DLR's master plan since 1992. It's crucial to the plan to utilize the current KCML and Toy Story Lot as a third park in the (probably distant) future.

My vote still goes for making the empty lot into CM parking. That way Pumba can be used as guest parking full time instead of only on busy days. Plus, it would be a way shorter walk for CMs to get to the crosswalk on Harbor.
              But if it's a shorter walk... why not use it as guest parking? Cast Members can ride the shuttle bus.

Comment

Originally posted by mandelbrot View Post
                The Downtown Disney parking structure on the Simba lot is going to start construction soon. Since that lot is mostly cast member parking at present it would make sense for Disney to create replacement cast member parking where the Eastern Gateway was going to go. This is just speculation, though. The parking situation in the resort is going to be pretty gnarly for the next couple of years.
                The Simba lot is so remote from the rest of the resort, it's usefulness as a Cast Lot isn't ... that much. Right now I think it's just being used for Hotel/Downtown Disney parking mostly, and when ESPN, Rainforest and AMC close, there will be even less of a need for it as Cast Parking. I haven't seen anything to suggest they have started work on that structure just yet, and I would think they would hold off until the new Mickey and Friends / DTD structure is complete (just going by usefulness here).

Comment

The Simba lot is so remote from the rest of the resort, it's usefulness as a Cast Lot isn't ... that much. Right now I think it's just being used for Hotel/Downtown Disney parking mostly, and when ESPN, Rainforest and AMC close, there will be even less of a need for it as Cast Parking. I haven't seen anything to suggest they have started work on that structure just yet, and I would think they would hold off until the new Mickey and Friends / DTD structure is complete (just going by usefulness here).
                  Many DCA, and Hotel cast park in Simba lot, some days the cast section fills up, and then they have to K-lot or if they are unlucky on that day it could be an Angel stadium diversion for cast. Better hope you came to work more than hour early if you are sent toward angels stadium.

Comment

What could they be building that wouldn't raise a stink with Anaheim City Hall?
                    An AP Detention Center?

Comment

My Guess is cast member parking until the Mayor is changed a Disney friendly one.

Comment

Disney will eventually build Eastern Gateway, also they will Purchase the Garden walk Mall.

Comment

If they do use it for CM parking, then I hope they also proceed with the pedestrian bridge over Harbor Blvd. It's a dangerous street to cross at times, especially when CMs are coming and going late at night. The last thing I would want to hear about is a CM struck and killed by a car because he chanced it to make it to work on time. (Please save the "he shoulda been on time" comments; that's not the point.) The bridge doesn't have to be private, but CMs can know when to divert away from the crowd headed to the gates so that they can go backstage.

Ultimately I hope they do something positive with that space, even if it is not the cast mega-complex that was originally pitched.

Comment

It would make sense to use is as expanded CM parking. They can still shuttle or walk if they chose. CM's need dedicated parking that will not be used as overflow guest parking. They deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. P View Post
                              CM's need dedicated parking that will not be used as overflow guest parking. They deserve it.
                              Especially with what they get paid.

Comment

It would make sense to use is as expanded CM parking. They can still shuttle or walk if they chose. CM's need dedicated parking that will not be used as overflow guest parking. They deserve it.
                                If they combined Pumba with the (former) Eastern gateway land, it would replace the inefficiently run KLot. Then CMs wouldn't have to factor in an additional 30-45 minutes to clock in on time. Park, take the (fingers crossed) bridge directly to Harbor Pointe, and there you are.

Comment

YES...I agree..........
                                  The long trip , to and from the ball park , get old !
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Ranciglio1 View Post
                                    Disney will eventually build Eastern Gateway, also they will Purchase the Garden walk Mall.
                                    You never know what Disney does......." "what they have in mind" "
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I would guess their plan is identical, or at least very similar, to the eastern gateway plan they announced previously. The eastern parking structure is something that has been built into DLR's master plan since 1992. It's crucial to the plan to utilize the current KCML and Toy Story Lot as a third park in the (probably distant) future.

But if it's a shorter walk... why not use it as guest parking? Cast Members can ride the shuttle bus.

The 1992 Plan was a wonderful plan..

Comment

Originally posted by Ranciglio1 View Post
                                        Disney need 10k parking on the Eastern Side and room for a third Park....Garden walk will be incorporated into the Disney Kingdom in some way. This is my speculation...

Comment

Working...
                                        X