2018 Christmas Planning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] 2018 Christmas Planning

Hello Everyone! I am looking for some information from locals and those who have been to Disneyland at Christmas before.

We are going to be staying at the Tropicana from the 19th to 28th. We only have a 5 day pass so we have 2 travel days and 2 "free days". Originally we were just going from the 21st to the 28th but it was way way way cheaper to fly on the 19th --- even with the two extra hotel days we saved a lot.

So now what do we do with the two free days.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do in Anaheim during Christmas Week? Are their any special light shows or concerts or local events? Shopping centers with Santa displays?

Any other suggestions? Does Downtown Disney have choirs or other entertainment?

Thank you everyone.
    sigpicDisney Road

Outside of Disney "Anaheim" is not going to have a lot of what you are looking for. Downtown Disney is going to have a major construction project going on for the new Hotel so while they do have some entertainment currently, I am not sure how much they will be having once the construction starts, and would not plan on it being anything that would take up more than a short time.

But there is a lot to chose in the rest of Orange County, and even more if you go beyond. One thing that is going to be a big factor is what you can do is will you have access to a car while you are here or are you going to try and rely on things such as Taxi's, Uber, Public Transportation.etc.

Also, if the 19th and 28th are your travel days, by my calculation it appears you actually have 3 "free" days unless you already had something else planned on one of those days leaving you with two.

Comment

Originally posted by DLMountainFan View Post

But there is a lot to chose in the rest of Orange County, and even more if you go beyond. One thing that is going to be a big factor is what you can do is will you have access to a car while you are here or are you going to try and rely on things such as Taxi's, Uber, Public Transportation.etc.

This is the big question - will you have access to a car? If so, how far are you willing to go? Also, who is in your group? Kids? Ages? There is quite a lot to do if you have a car and are willing to battle some traffic!

Comment

If you're interested in seeing gorgeous homes decorated in Christmas lights, Huntington Harbor has their Cruise of Lights from December 14-17 & 20-23 (http://www.cruiseoflights.org/). Newport Beach has one as well: https://www.christmasboatparade.com/.

Comment

Having a car like some has said is a major factor in your plans.

Depending on how far you have traveled Seeing the Pacific Ocean is always a plus for those have never.

As far as malls with holiday decor goes South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa and the Irvine Spectrum are both within 15 min. or less by car from the DLR and may be affordable to access by Uber if you do not plan on renting a car.

Disney is about 45 min from some of the famous LA sites such as the Griffith Observatory which is a great family trip that gives you a great view of the Hollywood sign. Or go to Griffith park where its rumored Walt came up with the idea for Disneyland. Taking the Warner Bros. Studio tour is a great half day trip that could be combined with an evening at one of many other LA tourist destinations. The thing about Southern California that many tourists often forget is SoCal is huge and all the sites are spread out, a car and patience are a necessity.

Comment

Go to the near by Beaches, Knotts is cheap family fun or even you dont mind drving a little Universal at Christmas is lots of fun with the Grinch and Harry Potter
            Last edited by JerrodDRagon; 05-23-2018, 12:16 PM.
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
              So to the near by Beaches, Knotts is cheap family fun or even you dont mind drving a little Universal at Christmas is lots of fun with the Grinch and Harry Potter
              I second all of these!
              BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Christmas is my favorite time of year regardless of where I'm at. Coming from Alaska, not having a "White Christmas" in SoCal was an adjustment, but there are a LOT of things to do to get you in the festive spirit. Hopefully this helps you as well as a few other Micechatters on here. If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to update this post. Here are a few suggestions - some will be duplicates from previous posters:

Holiday Sing-A-Long at the Walt Disney Concert Hall
                December 22nd, 11:30am & 2:30pm
                This choir sings a lot of your Holiday favorites and even has a cameo appearance by Santa who leads the entire audience in a spirited rendition of Jingle Bells. Always a lot of fun! Tickets can be purchased at Disney Concert Hall site and discounts can often be found on www.goldstar.com which is handy for other ticketed Holiday events.

The Nutcracker in Long Beach
                Dec 15th & 16th - 2pm & 7:30pm
                Dec 21st, 22nd & 23rd, 2pm & 7:30pm

This is a wonderful version of the Nutcracker and, to my knowledge, the only version to have a live symphony orchestra (which in my opinion is worth the price in and of itself). In the first act when the children gather around the Xmas tree, they use a children's dance company for the dancers. The little tikes don't always hit their mark, but it almost adds to the "cuteness" of the show. Haven't compare it to the Moscow company rendition up at the Wiltern yet, but I can still vouch for this solid production.

Moscow Ballet's Great Russian Nutcracker
                December 15th & 16th
                I haven't been to this version yet but plan to in the future. It's been touring since 1993 and comes to the Wiltern Theatre every December around the same time. Unlike the Long Beach version, this doesn't have a live orchestra but I'm sure the Russian dancers are incredible.

Christmas Light Boat Parades
                Most of us have seen parades, especially when you're at Disneyland. Something unique for someone like me from Alaska was viewing my first Xmas Light Boat Parade. As you can imagine, a parade of boats all lit up for the holiday season put their vessels on display for all of us onlookers to watch from the coastline. There's a multitude of these that happen from San Diego and Orange County up to Venice Beach. If you're looking to sip on some hot chocolate and just do something out of the ordinary and unique to SoCal, look one of these up.
                Newport Beach
                December 19th - 23rd, 2018
                Start time between 6:30pm-9:00pm depending on viewing location.

Marina Del Ray
                December 8th, 2018
                12pm-6pm: Snow Wonder at Burton Chase Park
                5:55pm-6pm: Fireworks Display
                6pm - 8pm: 56th Annual Holiday Boat Parade

San Diego
                December 9th & 16th, 2018
                5pm: Processional start time

Grinchmas at Universal Studios Hollywood
                November XX - December XX

Haven't been yet but wifey and I are going to fix that this year. Per the website description: When it comes that time for holiday cheer, look no further – Grinchmas returns later this year! The Whos will be waiting by the 60-ft tree, with songs and caroling and so much to see! So when the seasons change and it starts to get freezing, keep an eye out for The Grinch™ during the holiday season!

Knott's Merry Farm
                Nov XX - Dec XX
                Like Disney, they do a cute holiday overlay. If you're not theme-parked out, it's a quick jaunt away and fairly cheap comparatively speaking.

SeaWorld's Christmas Celebration
                November 17th - January 5th
                I've only been once, but SeaWorld is doing their best to compete with the other theme parks. The park is decorated with literally millions of lights and even has a sledding hill for kiddies. There's a photo op with Santa as well as Rudolph and friends in the past from the old Bass and Rankin films. The whole display is very cute and all proceeds go to SeaWorld's Rescue Team and to the welfare of the other marine-life in the park.

CHILL at the Queen Mary
                December 12th - January 6th
                This is another event series I've yet to do but have every intention of trying out this season. While I've read mixed things online, I think it'd be kind cute. Chill includes ice skating, ice tubing, zip lines, bike ride (on ice), bumper boats(?), 4D Rudolph show and, of course, a visit with Santa. They also have international holiday decorations and different cultural celebrations from Germany, Switzerland, China, Russia, Holland, and the North Pole.

Candy Cane Lane Neighborhood Christmas Light Displays
                December 1st - January 1st
                If you feel like driving, there's a myriad of places to go in Los Angeles to look at houses/neighborhoods that are completely lit up. You can either drive or walk through a lot of these neighborhoods. The advantage of walking is the ability to take it all in, buy some freshly made hot cocoa, Christmas cookies or churros :-) See which location is convenient for you below.

Last edited by moviemike; 09-03-2018, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X