Theft In The Parks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft In The Parks

I have seen a tremendous amount of posts on social media about thefts in the parks. The biggest occurrence of theft seems to be from guests leaving items in parked strollers. This is everything from special popcorn buckets and souvenir cups to full diaper bags and the strollers themselves. I have also read of several occurrences of thefts from back-packs that are being worn at the time.

Is this something that any of you have witnessed? I haven't seen it that I know of. Of course I don't know who's stroller belongs to whom so when I see someone at or with a stroller I assume it's theirs.

I've had a pass since 2005 and have gone at least once a month, and have never seen any of that. But also, I've never gone with a stroller.

Comment

There was a post months ago about an OC mom who got busted stealing high end strollers then selling them on Craigslist. She would enter the park with her daughter. Find a stroller, stick the kid inside and waltz out the front gate. But, alas she got busted. I've always wondered about the amount of shoplifting because, hey, who can keep an eye on that many people in the Disney stores? Especially when the park is closing?
      My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

Maybe little incidents of petty theft, but I think major cases of theft would be very difficult to get away with today.

My understanding is that most (if not all) public areas in the park are under recorded surveillance at all times. With how Disney is able to track every ticket as it comes into the park (and as it uses FP), it'd be pretty tough to pull off a signficant heist without Disney being able to track you and give your name and face (and credit card number) to the authorities.

Comment

Last year my niece had her iPhone stolen out of her back pack at DL while she was wearing it. We were in line for Indy and it was in an outside zipper pocket. After she realized it was gone, she tried to call it and someone answered in Spanish. Never did track it down.

I witnessed a theft while walking into Tomorrowland. We were passing by the Plaza Inn. Someone had left a DL merchandise bag at a table near the walkway. A guy near me jumped the wall grabbed the bag and ran through the outdoor seating area and through the area near the bathrooms and disappeared into the crowd. I lost sight of him and since it all happened so fast I didn't have enough info to give a cast member to track him down. Really pissed me off.

Comment

Cant say I have had anything stolen from me personally. I try and be very carefully with what I have on me and my backpack and try and be aware of people around me especially in tight spaces. I had one incident where we were in line for Haunted Mansion just before we board the Doombuggies. There was a group of teens behind me since this was around grad night time and I felt one of the backpack zippers being messed around with. The first time I felt the person lightly bump up against me which in that part of the line happens, the second time time it was a light feeling of the zipper being lightly pulled across to open. Keep in mind I don't put items in those pockets for that sole reason, so I proceeded to take the backpack off one shoulder as I turn to the kid right behind me and sure enough the pocket had been opened. I then proceed to ask the kid if he lost something in my bag and he just stayed quiet.

Unfortunately there will be scum like this that choose to take advantage of such a large and at times very populated place like Disneyland. I have not seen anyone personally take anything from a stroller; but it could also be because I have not really been in a spot to be able to notice people around strollers long enough. I did witness a guy stealing from the little shop in Buena Vista Street next to the bakery. This was about four years ago. I was browsing thru the shop and came across a guy looking at the Vinylmation figures they had at the time. He was carrying one of the large Disney parks shopping bags. All of a sudden he quickly opens it up and proceeds to sweep a bunch of the vinyl boxes into the bag. He then made his way to the back of the area and I went over and told my friend about it. We both worked retail at the time and would have the occasional shift up at Asset Protection so we had an idea of what to keep an eye out as far as shady activity was concerned. I go up to the registers and inform the CM's. They send a CM to be around the customer. He then made his way to the registers to pay for a small item he had in his hand and they ask him if they could check the receipt for the product in the bags. He tried coming up with some hokey excuse about the product even stating that he did not know how the stuff had gotten inside his bag. He left the merch and took off.

My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/r_zavala/

Comment

I've been going to Disneyland about every year of my life aside from a few here and there, especially after we moved out of state, but I've never experienced or even seen anyone attempting to steal anything. That being said, that does not mean it doesn't happen. Of course it happens considering as long as there are people there, theft will happen. But I've just never been a victim of it personally, nor have I witnessed it. For the most part, I'm sure people will be kind and return stuff to a CM or lost and found. It's just your job to make sure your items are secure as it would be hard for Disney to keep track of all their guests personal belongings/purchases. Take precautions. Utilize lockers. If you're that worried about it, walk back to your car (if you have one) and store stuff in your trunk. If you're buying something, leave shopping until the end of the night just before you leave so you don't have to worry about carrying it around with you. Other than that, there's not much else one can do other than be vigilant and make sure if you see some kind of theft occurring that you are a good citizen about it.
              Last edited by pure supercool; 06-14-2018, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I read about a guy that stole parking. He’d squeeze his little motorcycle around the rail at the exit. Even had the nerve to brag about it.

Comment

Been going with a stroller since 2010 about 1-2 times a month and have never found anything missing. Then again we don't have a great stroller and never have anything but baby stuff or jackets in the stroller. I've seen the little green men popcorn buckets on strollers and think that's crazy especially with how hard they were to get. In the past I've also seen people leave high end stuff like an slr camera just hanging off the side. I feel dland is safe, just don't be dumb.

Comment

Sad fact about life .........ever one need take precaution , no matter were they may be !
                    Use wisdom
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by napamaninsocal View Post
                      ...I've seen the little green men popcorn buckets on strollers and think that's crazy especially with how hard they were to get. In the past I've also seen people leave high end stuff like an slr camera just hanging off the side....
                      The old CM adage "Guests check their brains at the main gate" is still true.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                      Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                      imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                      until Thor told it to me."
                      -
                      Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony
                      narrated by Chris Hemsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Open_at_the_close View Post
                        Cant say I have had anything stolen from me personally. I try and be very carefully with what I have on me and my backpack and try and be aware of people around me especially in tight spaces. I had one incident where we were in line for Haunted Mansion just before we board the Doombuggies. There was a group of teens behind me since this was around grad night time and I felt one of the backpack zippers being messed around with. The first time I felt the person lightly bump up against me which in that part of the line happens, the second time time it was a light feeling of the zipper being lightly pulled across to open. Keep in mind I don't put items in those pockets for that sole reason, so I proceeded to take the backpack off one shoulder as I turn to the kid right behind me and sure enough the pocket had been opened. I then proceed to ask the kid if he lost something in my bag and he just stayed quiet.
                        Ohhhh.... I would have told that kid that he and his friends better leave the park, ASAP, because I was going to have the HM CMs call security. I probably would have snapped a picture of him, too, for good measure. Would I have bothered to call security? Probably, but my real satisfaction would have come from watching the kids quickly excuse themselves and try to figure out how to get out of the HM without riding first.
                        Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

The old CM adage "Guests check their brains at the main gate" is still true.
                          More likely, the brains are sitting in the parked car.
                          Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

Probably, but my real satisfaction would have come from watching the kids quickly excuse themselves and try to figure out how to get out of the HM without riding first.
                            Actually there is a way. But for purposes of this thread and to preserve the magic I won’t say.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Actually there is a way. But for purposes of this thread and to preserve the magic I won’t say.
                              Doesn't just about every potentially scary/thrill ride have a chicken exit?

Comment

The only real theft I have experienced was when I accidentally left a camera on a ride once, and no one turned it in to security. This was a very long time ago tho. I have also heard of vehicle break-ins that happen rather frequently.

I hate to think of how often theft happens at the parks, despite the number of undercover officers around the parks. They only have two eyes and can only catch so much. Plus, they are watching for theft against the parks, like shoplifting, and not theft against another visitor. I also hate to think of how much of a target those brightly printed Disney Parks merchandise bags make the people who are walking back to their hotels or riding public transit. Disney merchandise is still very popular on the second market and a stuffed Disney bag can probably put a few meals on someone's table.

This is why I do my best to use a shoulder bag that zips closed, and only carry what I need on me. If it doesn't fit in that little bag, it can stay in a locker. I'd much rather spend $15 on a locker than $100 on replacing stolen merch.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Well, I figured that if they didn't already know about the straight shot to the exit, they would have to ask the CMs handling boarding and would probably rather avoid contact with CMs as much as possible, at that point. I'm pretty sure that most or all MiceChatters know about the 'chicken exit' for HM.
                                  Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

I have never personally witnessed any theft myself and I have been going since the early 70's. Sadly though I know it happens and I often make sure to check my pickets frequently and watch over my kids who often wear backpacks. Our neighbor had their stroller stolen once over ten years ago in the parks. it would be near impossible link a guest to their stroller as even if you put on say a luggage tag what is to keep somebody from removing it and then claiming they tag came off.

One thing I have noticed twice in the past year is people being so anxious to get going that I have found passenger side car doors left wide open. Both in the M&F lot as well as ToyStory lot. When I saw them I closed them ( bumped them with hip don't want to leave finger prints and get accused of theft incase there was any ). I have also seen people leaving their windows down as if Disney has some crack ninja parking lot security. I watched security drive right by both open car doors without stopping so thinking they are going to watch and protect every individual car is a bit much.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

More likely, the brains are sitting in the parked car.
                                      "That another $20.00 ,parking fee"...............
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

On a happier note: My friend took her Dad to Disneyland last October. He hadn’t been since he was a young kid. He realized his wallet was missing from his back pocket while walking onto Indy during their first day. He’s a police officer and he normally has a very stoic and tough demeanor, he was 100% sure that the $500 cash in his wallet was long gone. The Indy CMs encouraged him to check Lost and Found. They walked straight there and sure enough, someone had already turned in his wallet with every single card and dollar intact. He was blown away! He said he didn’t think it was possible for someone to show that kind of integrity anymore. His daughter said his attitude totally changed from that point forward. He was cheerful, enthusiastic, and very friendly with the CMs and other guests. She had never seen him so chatty and friendly.

On their last day he was already talking about when they would come back. They just returned a couple of weeks ago and had another great visit!

Comment

Working...
                                        X