Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holiday planning for July 2019 - PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday planning for July 2019 - PLEASE HELP!

OK so not quite sure where to post this but I need a little help with our holiday planning.

We will be visiting Disneyland for a week in July next year. With the recent announcement that Galaxy’s Edge is scheduled to open in “summer” we expect that crowds are going to be very very heavy. Note – Galaxy’s Edge is not the reason we will be in Disneyland at that time – just a fortunate (or unfortunate depending on which way you look at it!) coincidence.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips that they think might help with managing the likely crowds? There are a few obvious things we are looking at (i.e. arriving early, opting for park-hopper tickets in case one of the parks reaches capacity if we head back to the hotel during the day, Maxpass) but any other help would be greatly appreciated.

We will be visiting with our 3 children who will be 9, 7 and 5. Don’t need to experience every ride. Really just want to fit in a few key ones for us (Dumbo, Tea Cups, Radiator Springs Racers, Splash Mountain) then anything else would be a bonus.

Also keen to hear thoughts on visiting the parks on 4th July? Understand this is usually a max capacity day for the parks but figure they will already be at capacity due to Galaxy’s Edge? Worth visiting on 4th July or skip?

Cheers for any help!

If you are going to be there for several days, obviously getting there really early for the Galaxy's Edge would be a must for one day. I would dedicate one day just to that so that you can see as much of it as you want. Then any extra time after you are done can be used enjoying other parts of the two parks. That's what we did when we did two days at Universal Orlando. One day was solely dedicated to seeing as much of the two Harry Potter areas with no ambition to do anything else. The other day was dedicated to getting in the other stuff.

On the other day, focus on your non Galaxy Edge must dos. Since Dumbo, Tea Cups, and other rides in Fantasyland do not have fast passes, I would go there as soon as you enter the park. If you get there at rope drop, then you should be able to have short lines. Start with Peter Pan if that is a must do. Meanwhile, get fastpasses for Radiator Springs and other fast pass rides while riding the Fantasyland rides. Also, if you ride Splash Mountain early in the morning or mid-morning, there are almost always no lines and you don't need to get a fast pass for it. People usually wait to ride it until it begins to heat up for the day.

A little strategizing should make the days go great.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

first, look for other internet sites that can help you with touring with children of your age.

second, GE crowds will be visiting for that particular event, which will require waiting in lines to get into lines that allow you to wait in a line with a clock that will tell you entry into the land, so they will not have an impact on envisions east of the fantaysland/frontierland gate or Adventureland/Frontierland gates. UNLESS they were not really die-hard as they thought and said Yippie Yi Yo, were leaving this rodeo and heading over to tomorrowland...which is the leading fear factor....where do the disillusioned who can't enter GE go to in Disneyland.

Third, from what little you have shared, Tea cups, Dumbo and Splash mountain are very doable on early entry. YOu will want to check back here and read next summer on what gate to enter to travel down ROA to Splash mountain. RSR is in a different, but not far, very walk-able area then from Disneyland.

Fourth, the expense of Maxpass is paying off, sounds like you are outside of the US with term "Holiday" and you may have already spent a budget on the trip, but Maxpass will make you feel more relaxed about the whole week. So just a few days of Maxpass will help to ease your visit.

July 4th, in the middle of the week , no three day weekend this year, but could be the one day off that folks spend to take in GE, disappointed, they may hang around for the fireworks. Personally, I would skip the day and relax poolside and hydrate and eat , and by golly, enjoy your holiday with the famly

Fifth, welcome to Disneyland planning sites, you are on the right course of information seeking and by the time your arrive, you will be ready for your Disneyland expedition.

Comment

I know if you're not use to going to the parks often then it may seem like a chore to do things its really not. There are only three things everyone needs to do when you go to the park in a peak season.

1. Get there EARLY! This can not be stressed enough. But the earlier you are there, then easier it is to do everything. And exactly why Disney has Magic Mornings for this reason.

2. PRIORITIZE what you want to do. Your list sounds tame and you can do those items easily even if you show up in the middle of the day. But decide what you really want to do before you get there and not after and that helps a lot. And it has to be reasonable of course. But if you just want to do every major E ticket you can. It just depends how long you want to stay and how many lines you are willing to do but you can do all the major rides in one day if you plan it well enough. Of course you have small kids though so thats probably less doable lol.

3. Grab FPs to anything on the list that has it. This is why FPs are great because your day is automatically cut down even if you just get three or four for the day. And in your case RSR and Splash Mountain are the FP available ones. Splash Mountain FPs lasts pretty much all day but RSR is still a very popular ride and they usually finish by mid-afternoon the latest. Which is exactly why #1 on the list is so important.

People here moan about crowds and its true the place can be a zoo. Thats not in doubt. But for many people, they get upset showing up to the park at 3 p.m. on a busy day and want to ride ten rides only to find out half of them have 60+ minute waits and most of the FPs are gone. No wonder why they are upset. But yes if you do those three things you will do everything you want to do no problem.

Now of course with GE, that's a different story entirely. No one really knows obviously how that will work with everything else but I suspect you will still be able to do whats on your list even with that on it but who knows?

But I will say my suspicion is if you are going to go to do GE then its going to be a madhouse but I'm guessing everything OUTSIDE of that will probably be pleasant. DCA especially will probably have lighter attendance in general over it just like DL did when CL opened in 2012. But again its just a guess based on my experience. The entire park can be swamped but you'll probably have a few weeks after GE open to see how things are trending by then so it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Definitely definitely definitely get park hoppers and Maxpass. Both are worth any extra cost.

One thing to keep in mind about Disneyland is that the walkways and spaces in general will get very crowded, but that doesn't always mean the queues are ridiculous. The waits may be a bit not long, but not outrageous, even when you can't move through adventure land. So don't be discouraged by the LOOK of things. A 25 - 35 minute wait really isn't horrible, and most rides end up around that. And you can fastpass most of the exceptions.

I find that the single most effective way to "deal" with crowds is mindset.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Bee View Post
            OK so not quite sure where to post this but I need a little help with our holiday planning.

We will be visiting Disneyland for a week in July next year. With the recent announcement that Galaxy’s Edge is scheduled to open in “summer” we expect that crowds are going to be very very heavy. Note – Galaxy’s Edge is not the reason we will be in Disneyland at that time – just a fortunate (or unfortunate depending on which way you look at it!) coincidence.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips that they think might help with managing the likely crowds? There are a few obvious things we are looking at (i.e. arriving early, opting for park-hopper tickets in case one of the parks reaches capacity if we head back to the hotel during the day, Maxpass) but any other help would be greatly appreciated.

We will be visiting with our 3 children who will be 9, 7 and 5. Don’t need to experience every ride. Really just want to fit in a few key ones for us (Dumbo, Tea Cups, Radiator Springs Racers, Splash Mountain) then anything else would be a bonus.

Also keen to hear thoughts on visiting the parks on 4th July? Understand this is usually a max capacity day for the parks but figure they will already be at capacity due to Galaxy’s Edge? Worth visiting on 4th July or skip?

Cheers for any help!
            I've had several trips the day or weekend after the 4th, which has generally worked pretty well. One of the slowest peak days I've ever seen was the 5th of July, which I think was a Saturday that year. Great opening day to Disney. It'll be a Friday next year, and I may even be joining you that week.

That said, I think Galaxy's Edge is a complete wildcard and will throw off many of we mice's best laid plans for next year. I expect to have to get there earlier than normal for a decent rope drop experience, lots more waiting. Maxpass will be absolutely essential. Probably spend more time in California Adventure.

What I'm really worried about is such an insane rush for Galaxy's Edge that it spills out into the rest of the park. But maybe not. Maybe it will hold the superfan crowd well and the rest of the park will remain tolerable.

Your kids are pretty young still, so this may not work for you, but getting up early until lunch time and then taking a nap break for the afternoon for a late night can work miracles. Watch the parade and fireworks once (crowds there will be a zoo) and on every other night, enjoy reduced lines on rides while everyone else is watching parades and fireworks.

When navigating the park during that time though, don't ever contemplate crossing the middle of the park. Hop the railroad if you can instead. Or try to limit yourself to one side of the park. There's something I love about fantasyland after it reopens at night after the fireworks. Great way to close out a day. But this is between 10:30 and midnight or so, so that might just not be doable for you.

If your schedule allows, take a day off between park days. It's so much fun, but such a grind. A relaxing day off between can keep exhaustion from destroying the magic of subsequent days. Visiting downtown Disney or eating there can make you feel like you're still 'at Disneyland' without actually burning a park day.

We always do 5-day hoppers, so I can't afford a day off between every Disney park day. But I try to schedule 2 off days mixed between the 5 park days. Many people think 5 days in the park is crazy and you can do it in 2. While it may be possible (though less possible now if Star Wars is at all important to you) I much prefer having the time to take the park as it comes and not try to go there in 'cover everything today' panic mode.

Big thing with someone as young as 5, which used to be a big perk is if you talk to a cast member, they'll allow one parent to stay with the young one(s) while one parent (and older children) ride, and then they'll allow them to switch so the other parent can ride. In my case, they usually let me ride with the older child again to have someone to ride with. Maybe they were just being nice (to let the child ride again) but I'm not sure if that's policy or just courtesy in that case. Space Mountain scares some little kids, and we couldn't get my youngest to do it the first time. Screamin (now Incredicoaster) will also likely be offlimits to your youngest and possibly middle child (due to height requirements) Those are cases where this policy might help.

Comment

Thank you so much for each of your replies! Very useful and informative and have definitely put my mind at ease.

We will be visiting from Sydney, Australia and staying 'off-site' (Courtyard Theme Park Entrance). We were looking to run with the suggested plan of hitting the parks early, then heading back for a rest/nap/swim, then back to the parks for the evening. However if the parks reach capacity we assume that we wouldn't be able to re-enter for the evening session? Is this correct? If so I assume the only way to work around this would be to just have full days in the parks. In which case, are any of you able to recommend some typically 'quieter' parts of the parks where we could take a bit of time out from the crowds and recharge?

None of us are very interested in Star Wars but Galaxy's Edge is certainly looking like it will offer a great experience. Would be a shame not to explore it a little so from what I'm reading it would be strongly recommended to head straight there at rope drop?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Comment

We have four young kids and do 5-day tickets. If you ever decide to stay in the parks all-day (we do so about 50% of the time) here are our favorite quiet spots for a break from the crowds: Inside DL across from the entrance to Matterhorn is a small picnic area on the water. Inside DCA across from the exit of Luigi’s Rollickin Roadsters there are a couple of shady benches in a little out of the way nook. We all feel recharged after a 45 minute break to just sit, talk, and munch on something!

When you need a break from standing in lines and want to simply mosey around try Turtle Talk with Crush and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis View Post

I've had several trips the day or weekend after the 4th, which has generally worked pretty well. One of the slowest peak days I've ever seen was the 5th of July, which I think was a Saturday that year. Great opening day to Disney.
                  I am literally going the 5th of July next month for a few days and I was SO worried about it I actually made a thread asking how busy it was. You have no idea how it felt to be told that is literally one of the best days to go in the summer lol. So I'm very excited. I haven't been to DL in over a year and haven't done a multiday stay for several years (but we're locals) so we're glad we are going this period even if it was due to other factors.

But yeah next year its hard to say with GE. I suspect it will be busier for sure but I don't know if its going to be gridlock busy in this period like everyone is assuming. But I guess the closer Galaxy Edge opens to this date the worse it will be.

Comment

* you have parkhoppers, so DCA will always be available and is fun at night to visit, so do plan to spend one night in DCA, if not every night w/children..Single adult can brave night Disneyland.

* as for capacity, you will have to check back and see how it is working....but to have your family go thru the heat, the unknowns for a full day....no...that is the value of 5 days, you can do early mornings and one adult can probably do late evenings.

* your very statement......would be a shame to not explore.....is the very crux of what might very well cause problems at Disneyland....GE will require hard hours of time....don't spend a vacation working, relax....let it go....or heed what we share here a year from now.

* the recharge areas are exactly for recharging....not hiding from GE....because that will be the exact game plan for every uninformed visitor....where do I hide from GE

with all that....time to share a story.....I lived on the 45th parallel August of 2017 and I listened to every level of Oregon bureaucracy about the disaster coming that August. I told all my non-45th parallel friends that they needed to be in place 24 hours before the event. Full tank of gas, water and shade. Be ready to stay a day after.....it is a disaster in the making......there was no disaster on the Oregon Coast, In the Willamette valley....but there was in Central Oregon...shortage of gas, 8 hours or more to arrive at reserved campgrounds, threats of wildfires and violence. But Central Oregon is a large area and problems were resolved days after the event....moral of the story....folks who lived in Oregon didn't care about the eclipse, folks who paid big money to see the eclipse, they made sure they had their guarantee in cloudless Central oregon. .....regardless of the cost...they were going to see the most spectacular event seen on earth......and it was, once bitten by eclipse it is for ever on your agenda for the next sky event. The next US eclipse, is going to be huge....that many fans!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X